PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Whew, 2007 -- Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference

CSN-info
January 4th, 2008, 01:41 AM
The CSN Way: Whew, 2007
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The 2007 season began -- and ended -- with historic achievements. Conference by conference, here’s a look back at the “year that was” in FCS football. The champions, the games of the year, the highest moments, the biggest disappointments, the best players and the unsung heroes, the "what if's" and the peeks forward. Whew, 2007!

Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
Tri-Champions: Duquesne Dukes, Iona Gaels, Marist Red Foxes
Game of the Year: November 10th, Marist 17, Iona 14.
Marist kicker Chris Collins booted a 29 yard field goal with under two minutes remaining to give the Red Foxes their second straight MAAC tri-championship. Marist runningback Obozua Ehikiyoa added 89 yards rushing and a touchdown. It ensured that the final year of the MAAC would have tri-champions for the second straight year.
Highest Moment: Duquesne vs. the NEC.
It’s sometimes hard to remember that a MAAC team without scholarships is at a disadvantage facing a NEC team with up to 30 scholarships, but they delivered three great wins in their swan song against Sacred Heart (30-23), St Francis (24-17) and Robert Morris (17-14). One win would be a feat, but three in the same year demonstrates that Duquesne is more than ready to enter the NEC next year.
Biggest Disappointment: La Salle.
This was a disappointment not primarily because the Explorers suffered an 0-10 season – it was a disappointment because they announced they were discontinuing football after this year.
Player of the Year: Iona runningback Dale Samuels.
The senior rightfully ended the year as the player of the year in the MAAC with 1,018 yard rushing and 10 touchdowns. He was the engine that made the Gael offense go.
Unsung Player of the Year: Duquesne quarterback Kevin Rombach.
The sophomore had an excellent season, passing for 2,410 yards and 20 touchdowns. Much of the Dukes’ offense is focused on wideout Bruce Hocker, but that’s not to say Rombach didn’t have an excellent year.
What If: Saint Peter’s hadn’t dropped football?
How long could the MAAC have held things together if the Peacocks hadn’t dropped football just a few months before the start of the season? We’ll never really know the answer to that, but you have to believe that it could have been done.
A Peek Towards 2008:
Duquesne moves onto the NEC, while the futures of Iona and Marist remain murky as non-scholarship football in the East dwindles to two teams. As of the end of 2007, the plan seems to be competing as independents. Here’s hoping the Gaels and Red Foxes continue to keep it together.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89669

Go...gate
January 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
The CSN Way: Whew, 2007
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The 2007 season began -- and ended -- with historic achievements. Conference by conference, here’s a look back at the “year that was” in FCS football. The champions, the games of the year, the highest moments, the biggest disappointments, the best players and the unsung heroes, the "what if's" and the peeks forward. Whew, 2007!

Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
Tri-Champions: Duquesne Dukes, Iona Gaels, Marist Red Foxes
Game of the Year: November 10th, Marist 17, Iona 14.
Marist kicker Chris Collins booted a 29 yard field goal with under two minutes remaining to give the Red Foxes their second straight MAAC tri-championship. Marist runningback Obozua Ehikiyoa added 89 yards rushing and a touchdown. It ensured that the final year of the MAAC would have tri-champions for the second straight year.
Highest Moment: Duquesne vs. the NEC.
It’s sometimes hard to remember that a MAAC team without scholarships is at a disadvantage facing a NEC team with up to 30 scholarships, but they delivered three great wins in their swan song against Sacred Heart (30-23), St Francis (24-17) and Robert Morris (17-14). One win would be a feat, but three in the same year demonstrates that Duquesne is more than ready to enter the NEC next year.
Biggest Disappointment: La Salle.
This was a disappointment not primarily because the Explorers suffered an 0-10 season – it was a disappointment because they announced they were discontinuing football after this year.
Player of the Year: Iona runningback Dale Samuels.
The senior rightfully ended the year as the player of the year in the MAAC with 1,018 yard rushing and 10 touchdowns. He was the engine that made the Gael offense go.
Unsung Player of the Year: Duquesne quarterback Kevin Rombach.
The sophomore had an excellent season, passing for 2,410 yards and 20 touchdowns. Much of the Dukes’ offense is focused on wideout Bruce Hocker, but that’s not to say Rombach didn’t have an excellent year.
What If: Saint Peter’s hadn’t dropped football?
How long could the MAAC have held things together if the Peacocks hadn’t dropped football just a few months before the start of the season? We’ll never really know the answer to that, but you have to believe that it could have been done.
A Peek Towards 2008:
Duquesne moves onto the NEC, while the futures of Iona and Marist remain murky as non-scholarship football in the East dwindles to two teams. As of the end of 2007, the plan seems to be competing as independents. Here’s hoping the Gaels and Red Foxes continue to keep it together.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89669

Nice work. RIP, MAAC football. Iona and Marist remain a mystery.

Seawolf97
January 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Nice work. RIP, MAAC football. Iona and Marist remain a mystery.

I wonder if they can put together at least a 10 game schedule. Then theres recruiting . It is a mess.xnonono2x

GaelsFootball
January 4th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Iona and Duquense go undefeated against NEC with a combined 5-0. The Gaels also beat Duquense going 3-0 against 2008 NEC teams. What conference has the scholorships again?!

GaelsFootball
January 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I wonder if they can put together at least a 10 game schedule. Then theres recruiting . It is a mess.xnonono2x

I havent seen Marist schedule yet but I know Iona has Stony Brook coming in to New Rochelle. We also got our two big games at Maine and UC Davis along with our anual dates with Wagner and Sacred Heart and new NEC member Bryant. Then 4 sub D1 games. It was very hard trying to fill out a schedule but we got our 11 games and 6 home games.

danefan
January 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Iona and Duquense go undefeated against NEC with a combined 5-0. The Gaels also beat Duquense going 3-0 against 2008 NEC teams. What conference has the scholorships again?!

Umm....don't declare superiority just yet....

Sacred Heart
St. Francis
Robert Morris
Wagner

No Central, Monmouth or Albany.....only decent win is against Wagner (and that is only "decent").

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
With the MAAC's recent success against the NEC, it seems they are more deserving for an auto-bid, regardless of how few teams they have... ;)

UAalum72
January 5th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Plus of course Marist and LaSalle were a combined 0-5. Nothing like using only some of the numbers.

GaelsFootball
January 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Plus of course Marist and LaSalle were a combined 0-5. Nothing like using only some of the numbers.

Ill give you Marist but comon Lasalle. Theres a reason they don't have football anymore.

GaelsFootball
January 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Umm....don't declare superiority just yet....

Sacred Heart
St. Francis
Robert Morris
Wagner

No Central, Monmouth or Albany.....only decent win is against Wagner (and that is only "decent").

Not saying we would win the NEC but thats almost half of the conference there. These teams are still NEC no? Duquense and Iona clearly would have been closer to the top than the bottom of the conference. Just saying these programs should be better than what they are and not letting little non scholly schools beat up on them.

Go...gate
January 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Glad to see that Marist and Iona are staying in the game. Good job.

UAalum72
January 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Ill give you Marist but comon Lasalle. Theres a reason they don't have football anymore.
If I can't use LaSalle this year, you can't use Duquesne. Cmon there's a reason they're leaving the MAAC.

All I know is that all-time Albany is 7-0 vs. the MAAC by a combined score of 299-36 - and we didn't even get to play Siena.

Seawolf97
January 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I havent seen Marist schedule yet but I know Iona has Stony Brook coming in to New Rochelle. We also got our two big games at Maine and UC Davis along with our anual dates with Wagner and Sacred Heart and new NEC member Bryant. Then 4 sub D1 games. It was very hard trying to fill out a schedule but we got our 11 games and 6 home games.

Glad to hear it and good to hear we are playing you guys. Should be a good game.xthumbsupx

dgreco
January 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM

any hard info on the bryant game? I have been emailing the AD he wont say anything until they have a full schedule. So I have been trying to piece it together by myself.

GaelsFootball
January 8th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I couldn't find anything offical online but it's our last game of the season, Nov 15th I think at Iona. Stony Brook is the week before. I was recently at the school for a basketball game and saw a sign displaying the 2008 schedule. So I'm assuming its a done deal.

Seawolf97
January 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I couldn't find anything offical online but it's our last game of the season, Nov 15th I think at Iona. Stony Brook is the week before. I was recently at the school for a basketball game and saw a sign displaying the 2008 schedule. So I'm assuming its a done deal.

I know you visited Stonybrook in 2004 so this must be the return game. Thats an easy ride from Long Island sounds like a road trip to New Rochellexthumbsupx

dgreco
January 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM

thanks for the info.