PDA

View Full Version : A lli blurb on JMU stadium expansion

NYJMUSupporter
January 2nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Here is a short blurb from the Daily News Record that mentions JMU's plans to expand Bridgeforth. Those who have seen the plans have said the stadium wil be larger than most would expect and that it will be very impressive.

AN EXPANDING PROGRAM: The Dukes' football team lost two of its jet engines to injuries - tailback Eugene Holloman and wide receiver L.C. Baker - but still won eight games and reached the Division I-AA playoffs in 2007.

Holloman, along with quarterback Rodney Landers, will return next season, giving JMU's Rich Rodriguez-cloned offense the fuel to again contend in the Colonial Athletic Association. Note the word "again." Mickey Matthews has the Dukes on cruise control now, and the university - with a football guy, vice president Charlie King, managing the purse strings - continues to add baubles to the program. Madison is expected this month to announce a major expansion to Bridgeforth Stadium, one that will leave no doubt that JMU sees football as a big part of its self-image as enrollment pushes 20,000.

th0m
January 2nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
So a public statement that they will release the plans this month... We've heard this before, so I'll stay cautiously optimistic. Maybe it has to do with the imminent closure of the lawsuit following JMU's compliance with Title IX.

appfan2008
January 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
look forward to seeing plans when they become available

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
January 2nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hey now if this was a thread on Wash-Griz it'd be moved to the smack forum xlolx xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

th0m
January 2nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Yes because you guys have a better stadium, and STILL you're expanding. It's just not fair! :( ;)

JMU_Fan_2007
January 2nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
I think that JMU has had their plans finished for a little while, and has been waiting to reveal them in the height of recruiting season. Also, don't underestimate the direct competition that is already beginning between JMU and ODU. It would not surprise me if JMU waited to see what ODU would do with their stadium before finalizing their plans.

Monarch Nation
January 3rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
I think that JMU has had their plans finished for a little while, and has been waiting to reveal them in the height of recruiting season. Also, don't underestimate the direct competition that is already beginning between JMU and ODU. It would not surprise me if JMU waited to see what ODU would do with their stadium before finalizing their plans.

Amen to the rivalry that has existed in basketball making it over to football.

Glad to hear you are expanding Bridgeforth, but don't think that we have laid all of our cards out on the table as far as Forman Field goes. xsmiley_wix

BloomHusky'01
January 3rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
They're probably waiting to make sure the funding is in place before they go public with the plans. Plenty of schools have announced ambitious expansions only to see them downsized when funding doesn't come through. I'll be curious to see what they have in mind. The only thing I can picture is new, permanent seating in the score board endzone. The field house at the other end would prevent any seating construction there, and expanding the existing stands on each side would almost require an upper deck, and that would be massively expensive. Whatever they do, I'm sure it will be first class. JMU's facilities are impressive.

th0m
January 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
There's been a lot of talk about knocking down stands etc. Seeing as how the logo in the newly installed FieldTurf is facing away from the current pressbox, it makes sense that a new pressbox/luxury section will arise on the 'parking' deck side.

Us JMU fans have been waiting for any word on expansion for a long time now that pretty much every expansion option has been speculated on.

89Hen
January 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Seeing as how the logo in the newly installed FieldTurf is facing away from the current pressbox...
That's an easy fix and won't determine anything. xpeacex

th0m
January 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Yah but why did they lay down the turf that way to begin with? I mean, I know those turflaying people are from North Dakota but that doesn't mean they shouldn't know which way is up xlolx Kidding!

rufus
January 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
The rumor floating around on the JMU boards says that the current home side by the parking garage will be torn down and replaced with a new structure containing around 20k seats. The new side will also include a press box and luxury boxes. Phase two will include a similar rebuild of the other side of the stadium. Or so the rumor goes...

Who knows what's true? Our administration has been planning this expansion since 2001, and has yet to make a public announcement. The only thing we do know for sure is that JMU hired an architect to draft plans for expansion to 50k seats back in the summer of 2006. The request for proposals is posted on the Virginia e-procurement website. (Go to https://vendor.epro.cgipdc.com/webapp/VSSAPPX/Advantage , click Solicitation Search, then search for the term "bridgeforth". Check out the RFP from 6/21/06. Click on the Attachments tab and you can download the full RFP.) So we know there's a plan for 50k seats, but the "ifs, whens, and hows" are completely unknown. Hopefully we'll see by the end of the month.

mcveyrl
January 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
The rumor floating around on the JMU boards says that the current home side by the parking garage will be torn down and replaced with a new structure containing around 20k seats. The new side will also include a press box and luxury boxes. Phase two will include a similar rebuild of the other side of the stadium. Or so the rumor goes...

Who knows what's true? Our administration has been planning this expansion since 2001, and has yet to make a public announcement. The only thing we do know for sure is that JMU hired an architect to draft plans for expansion to 50k seats back in the summer of 2006. The request for proposals is posted on the Virginia e-procurement website. (Go to https://vendor.epro.cgipdc.com/webapp/VSSAPPX/Advantage , click Solicitation Search, then search for the term "bridgeforth". Check out the RFP from 6/21/06. Click on the Attachments tab and you can download the full RFP.) So we know there's a plan for 50k seats, but the "ifs, whens, and hows" are completely unknown. Hopefully we'll see by the end of the month.

The real problem I have with a 50,000 seat stadium is the expense in paying 30-35,000 people to show up for the games.

rufus
January 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
The real problem I have with a 50,000 seat stadium is the expense in paying 30-35,000 people to show up for the games.
Think long run, because we aren't going to have 50k seats any time in the near future. ;)