January 1st, 2008, 07:12 AM
Cats turn to Wagner
WCU pins football hopes on Nebraska offensive line coach
by By Tyler Norris Goode, [email protected]
published January 1, 2008 12:15 am
Read 2 comments »
e-mail this
Print this

CULLOWHEE- Roughly 18 years ago, Dennis Wagner was hired to take over a struggling college football program that had won two of its last 29 games.

Over the next eight seasons, he led Wayne State in Nebraska to a 44-37-1 record.

On Monday afternoon, Western Carolina committed more than three-quarters of a million dollars with the hope that Wagner can turn the Catamounts' program around, too.

Most recently the offensive line coach at Nebraska, Wagner agreed to a contract worth at least $830,000 over the next five years and will be introduced at a press conference on Friday.

His hiring ended a national search that lasted 49 days.

"It was very time consuming, and I know a lot of people were upset about that," said WCU athletic director Chip Smith. "It did take a long time, but it was a lot more organized than people were led to believe. We finally narrowed our search down to a small number of candidates, and he (Wagner) fit all of the things we were looking for."

Wagner's contract will pay him $100,000 for the first season, $180,000 for each of the second through fourth seasons and $190,000 for the fifth season. Smith said the contract includes incentives for beating an NCAA Division I Bowl Subdivision team, winning a conference championship, winning playoff games and attaining certain academic progress achievements.

Smith also said the contract's lower first-year salary was requested by Wagner's agent and is not related to the fact that WCU still owes former coach Kent Briggs $110,823 annually over the next two years.

Wagner said he did not become a candidate for the WCU job until Smith employed the search firm DHR International to assist in the hiring. Wagner said he and his wife, Cyndi, visited the WCU campus late last week and that the situation in Cullowhee reminds him of what he stepped into in Wayne, Neb., nearly two decades ago.

WCU did not win a Southern Conference game while going 3-19 overall the last two seasons under Briggs, who was fired on Nov. 12.

"Wayne is in a smaller community in Nebraska. It's a rural area," Wagner said.

"But we were able to recruit great student athletes who did a great job in the classroom and on the field."

During WCU's search for a new coach, Newberry coach Zak Willis told the Citizen-Times he was offered the job but that the offer was later rescinded. Over the weekend, former Hampton coach Joe Taylor told the Newport News (Va.) Daily Press that he'd been offered the position as well though he elected to take the Florida A&M job instead.

Smith said hiring regulations prevent him from discussing specific candidates.

However on Monday, Smith said: "We have not made an offer until it's approved by the Board of Trustees, so this offer (to Wagner) is the only one that's been made. I think where a lot of the confusion lies is that there were a lot of other conversations going on (between Smith and coaching candidates), but this is the only offer we made because it was the only one approved by the Board of Trustees."

Wagner said the possibility that other candidates were offered the job first was not an issue to him.

"They've got to do what's best for Western Carolina, and I've got to do what's best for me," said Wagner. "When the two of us were able to get together, it was the perfect marriage. I'm just excited that I have this opportunity. I'm not concerned with anything that happened before that."

Sounds like a man who wants to be in Cullowhee and is ready to win. WELCOME COACH WAGNER!!! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

appst97
January 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM
Good Luck to Coach Wagner in 2008, Hopefully he can bring respect back to U.C.L.A!

catamount man
January 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
Good Luck to Coach Wagner in 2008, Hopefully he can bring respect back to U.C.L.A!

Absolutely. And the JUG as well.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Actually, as much as I love our rivalry and the JUG, I hope this is the beginning of WCU starting to think a little bigger.

Congrats on another fine year. We hope to join you someday.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Saint3333
January 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Smith said the contract includes incentives for beating an NCAA Division I Bowl Subdivision team, winning a conference championship, winning playoff games and attaining certain academic progress achievements.

WCU has never beaten a 1-A/FBS team, never won the SoCon, and hasn't had a playoff win in 24 years in 1983. History is not on Wagner's side.

I'm sure the WCU fans are excited that the search is over though.

KiddBrewer
January 1st, 2008, 03:22 PM
i for one would like to see Western become good....not App good, but good:)xthumbsupx

yosef1969
January 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
It's about time but at least it sounds like a good hire. I would love to see the intensity of the rivalry rekindled.

catamount man
January 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM
WCU has never beaten a 1-A/FBS team, never won the SoCon, and hasn't had a playoff win in 24 years in 1983. History is not on Wagner's side.

I'm sure the WCU fans are excited that the search is over though.

True about history, but I'm hoping we start making our own history. It's got to start somewhere.

GO CATS!!!

mountain_man
January 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
True about history, but I'm hoping we start making our own history. It's got to start somewhere.

GO CATS!!!

How correct you are! Congrats on the hire from this Mountaineer.

citdog
January 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Actually, as much as I love our rivalry and the JUG, I hope this is the beginning of WCU starting to think a little bigger.

bigger how? hiring a coach who was run out of lincoln neb on a rail with bill callahan? by hiring a coach who hasn't been a head coach above the "hobby level" known as Div II? sorry cat fans but i think you could have done better than some schmo from Nebraska. what does he know about recruiting in the South?

walliver
January 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
However on Monday, Smith said: "We have not made an offer until it's approved by the Board of Trustees, so this offer (to Wagner) is the only one that's been made. I think where a lot of the confusion lies is that there were a lot of other conversations going on (between Smith and coaching candidates), but this is the only offer we made because it was the only one approved by the Board of Trustees."

Congratulations on a new coach, but, the way this situation has been handled suggests that WCU may need to replace their AD also.

The quote above suggest that an "unauthorized" job offer may have been offerred and then withdrawn.

catamount man
January 2nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
bigger how? hiring a coach who was run out of lincoln neb on a rail with bill callahan? by hiring a coach who hasn't been a head coach above the "hobby level" known as Div II? sorry cat fans but i think you could have done better than some schmo from Nebraska. what does he know about recruiting in the South?

Higgins never coached in the South and I'd say that turned out well for you now didn't it?xcoffeex

Appaholic
January 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Congratulations.....and now that the search is over let's get back to being rivals.......go ahead and start looking for your next coach....Wagner will be gone in three years......two if he is successful.....xlolx

Jiggs
January 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Congratulations on the new coach. We're looking forward to seeing you guys next season.:)

catamount man
January 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Congratulations.....and now that the search is over let's get back to being rivals.......go ahead and start looking for your next coach....Wagner will be gone in three years......two if he is successful.....xlolx

Smack like this and you can forget that beer on me at the next AGS gathering in Greenville.:D :D :D

catamount man
January 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Congratulations on the new coach. We're looking forward to seeing you guys next season.:)

I think you guys will be in Cullowhee and then we come to Samford in 2009. Welcome to the SoCon.

GO CATS!!!

Homegrown Hillbilly
January 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Best of luck with the new coach. I have been afraid that the App/Western game was going to lose it's luster if the games were all blowouts. Hopefully we will only win by 2 touchdowns from now on.:D