PDA

View Full Version : FAMU actually gets Taylor by default... not choice

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM
Bill Harvey's list of New Year's resolutions never changes.

Shed a few pounds.

Read a good book or two.

Remind everyone exactly who calls the shots at Hampton University.

The fingerprints of Hampton U.'s president are all over the recent athletic department cyclone that saw football coach Joe Taylor depart for Florida A&M and assistant Jerry Holmes promoted to the big chair while the seat was still warm.

Unless, of course, you think that Taylor aimed for no better than a lateral move within the same league in the twilight of his career, and that athletic director Lonza Hardy wasn't interested in so much as speaking to any other candidate.

Nope, this was a taffy pull between a pair of strong-willed, successful men. At Hampton U., everybody knows who wins those battles.

Taylor was guilty of venturing outside to scope other homes and neighborhoods one too many times for Harvey's taste. Harvey finally locked the door behind him and sublet his room in the meantime.

Taylor had all but accepted the Western Carolina job before realizing that relocating to Cullowhee, N.C., at age 57 to get crunched by Appalachian State and Georgia Southern for the foreseeable future might not be a wise career move.

Read this unbelievable story (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-now-fairbank1231,0,4777135.column?coll=hr_tab02_layout )

th0m
January 1st, 2008, 07:10 AM
Interesting read to say the least.

Tribe4SF
January 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM
When ego imposes itself on a process like this, the outcome is invariably placed in jeopardy. Jerry Holmes seems to be a well liked guy, but the leadership at HU again takes on a distinct odor.xsmhx

Menudo
January 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Wow, well as a Hampton alum I was actually surprised that Harvey let him go, but figured maybe they had issues.

HIU 93
January 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Read this unbelievable story [/URL]

That is not a story, that is an op-ed piece.

HIU 93
January 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
When ego imposes itself on a process like this, the outcome is invariably placed in jeopardy. Jerry Holmes seems to be a well liked guy, but the leadership at HU again takes on a distinct odor.xsmhx

I guess that would be the odor of success.

No man is perfect. No President is perfect. Dr. Harvey is no exception. However, Dr. Harvey has done more positive for Hampton in the previous thirty years than all of our presidents before had done in the first 110 years.

I am truly sad that Joe Taylor is moving on, but I remember in 1992 when Joe Taylor left Dr. Dallas Simmons and Virginia Union in the same manner, going to conference rival Hampton.

Am I surprised? No. Do I worry? No. As I have said on NUMEROUS occassions, Hampton is larger than a football team or any other athletic endeavor. Our mission and our legacy will continue whether we have football success or not.

Dr. William Harvey is the best president Hampton has ever had, and I am more worried about replacing him than I ever will be about replacing a coach of ANY team.

Monarch History
January 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM

No man is perfect. No President is perfect. Dr. Harvey is no exception. However, Dr. Harvey has done more positive for Hampton in the previous thirty years than all of our presidents before had done in the first 110 years.

I am truly sad that Joe Taylor is moving on, but I remember in 1992 when Joe Taylor left Dr. Dallas Simmons and Virginia Union in the same manner, going to conference rival Hampton.

Am I surprised? No. Do I worry? No. As I have said on NUMEROUS occassions, Hampton is larger than a football team or any other athletic endeavor. Our mission and our legacy will continue whether we have football success or not.

Dr. William Harvey is the best president Hampton has ever had, and I am more worried about replacing him than I ever will be about replacing a coach of ANY team.

This is an interesting comment from a Hampton graduate. It's always good to hear different perspectives on a subject. Especially from someone closer to the subject than I. xcoffeex

Tribe4SF
January 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM

You're certainly right on all counts, and I would wager the majority of HU alumni share your view. Athletics are in proper perspective at Hampton.

Being a public figure, of course, Dr. Harvey is subject to expressions of opinion regarding his actions, whatever the priority level. If nothing else, he is decisive.