PDA

View Full Version : Does the FAMU hire helps or hurts ?

bluedog
December 31st, 2007, 04:24 PM
Knowing HU athletic history in football, does FAMU hiring away the best coach helps or hurt the conference?

Factor in the seeming unwillingness of HU’s President in giving the most successful coach ever at HU the concessions he wanted it, it appears on the surface that they may be headed back to bottom feeder status.

Your honest thoughts and opinions please.

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2007, 04:51 PM
I think we're all interested to see how this plays out. Hampton has become a nationally-recognized program under their old regime including all these players moving on to the next level (or getting NFL attention).

This past year -- we saw there's some movement in the MEAC. Norfolk State. Delaware State. Who the heck are these schools, some folks were wondering this season. These truly weren't schools we were used to seeing make appearances in the top 25 poll and have a shot at a playoff appearance. Very intriguing...

The MEAC has upgraded and the conference is getting better. As far as HBCUs go, we may legitimately find out which is the better conference with the SWAC playing more OOC games, which I am sure includes a few more against the MEAC. We could never really tell with the SWAC under the nine-game mandate and with some of the schools playing three additional OOC games (due to the 12 game year), we may get a better glimpse.

To me, the MEAC is the top HBCU -- but this year, we'll learn more. There's definitely more balance in the MEAC with new powers emerging and perhaps the new regime at FAMU can ride the wave to the top as everyone takes turns battling it out at the top.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 31st, 2007, 06:15 PM
To me, the MEAC is the top HBCU -- but this year, we'll learn more. There's definitely more balance in the MEAC with new powers emerging and perhaps the new regime at FAMU can ride the wave to the top as everyone takes turns battling it out at the top.

Once again you show how clueless you are when it comes to HBCU sports xlolx .

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Once again you show how clueless you are when it comes to HBCU sports xlolx .

What was wrong about the comment you quoted? The MEAC continues to have more teams in the poll(s), higher GPI and less losses to sub-Div I teams as the SWAC.

The MEAC also has had different teams rise to the top. Hampton was not the top team til recently and now they aren't the top dog. The SWAC, it's the same old, same old. Not many surprises. Ark-PB was a surprise last year, but not too much else doing in the SWAC as PVA&M still needs that big win over Grambling to really get us bouncing with glee. Norfolk St and Delaware St -- where'd they come from?

And yes, we'll learn more about the SWAC this year when they play more OOC games as it's tough to get a measure when SWAC teams play only two OOC games with quite a few against FBS competition.

As it relates to other HBCU sports -- as I know your trying to incite me to crack at your conference -- the SWAC has eight Div I wins in men's hoops. The next closest conference has twice as many (OVC at 16). After that, everyone has atleast 28 (MEAC). Pretty embarrassing...

Mr. Tiger
December 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hampton's AD is use to working with limited resources. He was the AD at Mississippi Valley and did an excellent job. I expect him to keep things moving in the right direction.

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM
What was wrong about the comment you quoted? The MEAC continues to have more teams in the poll(s), higher GPI and less losses to sub-Div I teams as the SWAC.

The MEAC also has had different teams rise to the top. Hampton was not the top team til recently and now they aren't the top dog. The SWAC, it's the same old, same old. Not many surprises. Ark-PB was a surprise last year, but not too much else doing in the SWAC as PVA&M still needs that big win over Grambling to really get us bouncing with glee. Norfolk St and Delaware St -- where'd they come from?

And yes, we'll learn more about the SWAC this year when they play more OOC games as it's tough to get a measure when SWAC teams play only two OOC games with quite a few against FBS competition.

As it relates to other HBCU sports -- as I know your trying to incite me to crack at your conference -- the SWAC has eight Div I wins in men's hoops. The next closest conference has twice as many (OVC at 16). After that, everyone has atleast 28 (MEAC). Pretty embarrassing...

I think his problem with your statement TT is because you're clearly basing it on a few recent years to siut your position, and not the entire MEAC existance because of your obvious basis towards the MEAC because they chose to particpate fully in the payoff games.

Anybody that does any research by simply clicking on NCCA records/stats by using a mouse knows better.

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM
I think his problem with your statement TT is because you're clearly basing it on a few recent years to siut your position, and not the entire MEAC existance because of your obvious basis towards the MEAC because they chose to particpate fully in the payoff games.

Why not base it off of recent years? Don't we live in the present, not the past? It's not about the 70s and 80s, not even the 90s. It's about the 00s. The MEAC has really impressed on the national level (even without the playoffs) -- Grambling in the last few years, has been the only team to grab the national attention, but that was with a QB named Bruce Eugene...

Let's talk about the present -- the MEAC is an emerging league with more and more teams improving their programs dramatically. If Taylor goes to FAMU and improves that program, it does even more for the league, especially if teams like Norfolk State and Delaware State can join Hampton and South Carolina State in making the league truly have battles week in and week out. That is a far cry from the SWAC...

SWAC's chance to actually gain a bit more national respect comes this year. The door is wide open for the SWAC to move up in terms of respect as it relates to on the field...

I'm still confused on how a few schools (Alcorn St -- scores on the side, but no game recaps and Tx Southern --you'd never know the sports actually competed thus far this year and of course, no telling they hired a new FB coach) can't even update their web site. FAMU has really done a great job of getting the information out about their hiring. Apparently, there's huge off the field differences between the two conferences...

813Jag
January 1st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Why not base it off of recent years? Don't we live in the present, not the past? It's not about the 70s and 80s, not even the 90s. It's about the 00s. The MEAC has really impressed on the national level (even without the playoffs) -- Grambling in the last few years, has been the only team to grab the national attention, but that was with a QB named Bruce Eugene...

Let's talk about the present -- the MEAC is an emerging league with more and more teams improving their programs dramatically. If Taylor goes to FAMU and improves that program, it does even more for the league, especially if teams like Norfolk State and Delaware State can join Hampton and South Carolina State in making the league truly have battles week in and week out. That is a far cry from the SWAC...

SWAC's chance to actually gain a bit more national respect comes this year. The door is wide open for the SWAC to move up in terms of respect as it relates to on the field...

I'm still confused on how a few schools (Alcorn St -- scores on the side, but no game recaps and Tx Southern --you'd never know the sports actually competed thus far this year and of course, no telling they hired a new FB coach) can't even update their web site. FAMU has really done a great job of getting the information out about their hiring. Apparently, there's huge off the field differences between the two conferences...
I have to disagree on this point, there are few easy trips in SWAC play, it may not seem this way by looking at numbers, and in the last few years it hasn't shown in OOC play. But going to Itta Bena or Lorman have rarely been easy even for the best teams. This year the SWAC had 5 teams with 7 plus wins (only two of those teams played non DI oppenents), take a look at the standings those same 5 teams all won 6 or more conference games. The only easy W in conference play was Texas Southern and they put up a fight in a few games.
The schools are making improvements to their facilities and hopefully that will mean an improvement in the record books.

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 10:53 AM

Well you have your right to you're opinion, but let's not try to pass it off as fact.

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2008, 12:21 PM
The schools are making improvements to their facilities and hopefully that will mean an improvement in the record books.

More than that is needed -- tough to recruit players when they will not even get recognition from their own school (SWAC has some web site issues at a few of the member institutions -- notably TxSo and Alcorn).

In going to any school, it really helps if the school is getting publicity. The SWAC's television package may be helping out a few of the schools who have the inability to even put out publicity on their web sites for whatever reasons.

Just food for thought...really helps those smaller (Olympic, Title IX) programs that struggle to get publicity. One swimming head coach told me that before she started her program (they had announced it, but it was a year away), the fact she continued to have publicity coming out every few weeks. Said it was a very strong factor in recruiting a championship program. If a few SWAC institutions can't do that for their flagship programs -- they got problems.

Maybe I'm wrong in my judgment in terms of how big a deal it is, but I honestly think it has a major impact.

Sorry to take this off subject, but we'll send it back. The MEAC definitely has turned the corner and if the SWAC is in the process of following, that is great. I think we all are in the MEAC "corner" as it relates to a better football conference based on their willingness to play OOC games that grab our attention.

The SWAC mandate held them back, it was truly a "in-house" league with no real merit out of conference. Eugene put up phenomenal numbers, but he did not face the proper competition to garner him the awards he may have deserved. The time has come and the SWAC may gain some of that 'thunder' back that they once had. There's some strong coaches (as bluedog notes) and that may speed things up -- Broadway and Comegy are in a class of their own...

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
More than that is needed -- tough to recruit players when they will not even get recognition from their own school (SWAC has some web site issues at a few of the member institutions -- notably TxSo and Alcorn).

In going to any school, it really helps if the school is getting publicity. The SWAC's television package may be helping out a few of the schools who have the inability to even put out publicity on their web sites for whatever reasons.

Just food for thought...really helps those smaller (Olympic, Title IX) programs that struggle to get publicity. One swimming head coach told me that before she started her program (they had announced it, but it was a year away), the fact she continued to have publicity coming out every few weeks. Said it was a very strong factor in recruiting a championship program. If a few SWAC institutions can't do that for their flagship programs -- they got problems.

Maybe I'm wrong in my judgment in terms of how big a deal it is, but I honestly think it has a major impact.

Sorry to take this off subject, but we'll send it back. The MEAC definitely has turned the corner and if the SWAC is in the process of following, that is great. I think we all are in the MEAC "corner" as it relates to a better football conference based on their willingness to play OOC games that grab our attention.

The SWAC mandate held them back, it was truly a "in-house" league with no real merit out of conference. Eugene put up phenomenal numbers, but he did not face the proper competition to garner him the awards he may have deserved. The time has come and the SWAC may gain some of that 'thunder' back that they once had. There's some strong coaches (as bluedog notes) and that may speed things up -- Broadway and Comegy are in a class of their own...

Maybe a couple of guys name Tavarious Jackson and Quincy Richard might have had something to do with that too.

Like I said TT, I thought you really knew HBCU football. But clearly you don't.

It the MEAC is garnering so much national attention, why is it the SWAC has the better TV pkg.?

Why is it that two SWAC schools has had the longest on going NATIONAL TV game of any FCS conference?

Why is it that Grambling, Jackson state, & Southern continue to be offered to join FBS conferences, but yet when FAMU made its fail attempt to become a FBS school there were no takers?

Why is it that when the National spotlight talks even about the tradition of the battle of the bands, the SWAC is use as the measuring stick?

Last but not least, if the MEAC is getting so much national attention, why is it year in and year out the NCAA is beating on the SWAC doors to join the payoff games not to mention everyone on this board?

Just asking...I mean don't you think some of these things may have to do with national attention?

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2008, 02:07 PM
My references were to national attention as it relates to how good a conference the MEAC is perceived as compared to the SWAC.

Has the SWAC even topped the MEAC as far as GPI goes? I do not believe so.

Has the SWAC had more top 25 teams than the MEAC in the last three, four years? I do not believe so.

The conferences do not compare in the best means available to judge -- polls and ratings. Unfortunately, due to the SWAC scheduling -- the contests have been limited to as low as two contests this past year, if I am not mistaken, between the two conferences.

SWAC obviously gets more coverage, even in basketball compared to similar conferences -- no denying it, regardless of the level of play (as noted elsewhere, basketball is rather embarrassing when it comes to the SWAC in the grand scheme of Div I -- yet they have more national TV games than quite a few conferences that have more success).

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
My references were to national attention as it relates to how good a conference the MEAC is perceived as compared to the SWAC.

Has the SWAC even topped the MEAC as far as GPI goes? I do not believe so.

Has the SWAC had more top 25 teams than the MEAC in the last three, four years? I do not believe so.

The conferences do not compare in the best means available to judge -- polls and ratings. Unfortunately, due to the SWAC scheduling -- the contests have been limited to as low as two contests this past year, if I am not mistaken, between the two conferences.

SWAC obviously gets more coverage, even in basketball compared to similar conferences -- no denying it, regardless of the level of play (as noted elsewhere, basketball is rather embarrassing when it comes to the SWAC in the grand scheme of Div I -- yet they have more national TV games than quite a few conferences that have more success).

Like I said before, I actually thought you knew something about HBCU football. As it stands it's clear not only do you not know as much as I thought about HBCU football but from you question above you don't know much about what you're talking about at all.

A simple search of NCAA records would have keep you from showing your level of ignorance on the subject and would have made it not necessarily to ask several of your questions.

If you would have taken the time to do that, you would have known that for all of your opinions on which HBCU conference is better then the other (notice it's never what PWC is better then the other) the facts are you're wrong on most account.

SU Jag
January 1st, 2008, 04:51 PM
Why are yall debating with this dude? He has made comment after comment proving that he knows nothing about HBCU football. xsmhx

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Why are yall debating with this dude? He has made comment after comment proving that he knows nothing about HBCU football. xsmhx

Well I must admit he had e fooled, but he has just lost all credibility with me today.

MACHIAVELLI
January 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Maybe a couple of guys name Tavarious Jackson and Quincy Richard might have had something to do with that too.
???? Please explain

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Well I must admit he had e fooled, but he has just lost all credibility with me today.

All because I think the MEAC is better than the SWAC? Nice! xnodx So are the polls, GPI and indexes all wrong?

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 07:26 PM
All because I think the MEAC is better than the SWAC? Nice! xnodx So are the polls, GPI and indexes all wrong?

You might wanna think somethings through before you speak. I don't know of any entire conference that are ranked in any polls....do you?

While you're at it, try showing us all these GPI's (valid) that show the MEAC conference as being so much better then the SWAC.

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM
I love how I can argue with you guys about facts as they back me...and I'm not even twisting them...

You might wanna think somethings through before you speak. I don't know of any entire conference that are ranked in any polls....do you?

Nope. MEAC has had more teams in the poll every year in the last four, outside of this year, when the two were equal.

A look back...MEAC and SWAC each had one team in the poll this year, with MEAC having the higher placed of the two. As it relates to the Sheridan poll, the MEAC also had three of the top five in the Sheridan compared to one for the SWAC.

In 2006 final Sports Network poll, the MEAC had one team in the top 25 while the SWAC had none. In 2005, the MEAC had two to the SWAC's one and in 2004, the MEAC had two to the SWAC's one.

While you're at it, try showing us all these GPI's (valid) that show the MEAC conference as being so much better then the SWAC.

MEAC has been better according to GPI in four of the five years the thing has existed. May not be by much some years, but it still says MEAC is higher than the SWAC on a more consistent basis.

2007 (http://collegesportingnews.com/articles/artfiles/89150_detail.txt): MEAC 9th, SWAC 11th

2006 (url]http://collegesportingnews.com/articles/artfiles/83218_confrank.txt[/url]):
MEAC 11th, SWAC 12th

2005 (http://www.i-aa.org/articles/artfiles/75205_1detail.txt)
SWAC 12th, MEAC 15th

2004 (http://www.i-aa.org/articles/artfiles/65076_detail.txt):
MEAC 10th, SWAC 13th

2003 (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=52925):
MEAC 10th, SWAC 11th

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM
I love how I can argue with you guys about facts as they back me...and I'm not even twisting them...

Nope. MEAC has had more teams in the poll every year in the last four, outside of this year, when the two were equal.

A look back...MEAC and SWAC each had one team in the poll this year, with MEAC having the higher placed of the two. As it relates to the Sheridan poll, the MEAC also had three of the top five in the Sheridan compared to one for the SWAC.

In 2006 final Sports Network poll, the MEAC had one team in the top 25 while the SWAC had none. In 2005, the MEAC had two to the SWAC's one and in 2004, the MEAC had two to the SWAC's one.

MEAC has been better according to GPI in four of the five years the thing has existed. May not be by much some years, but it still says MEAC is higher than the SWAC on a more consistent basis.

2007 (http://collegesportingnews.com/articles/artfiles/89150_detail.txt): MEAC 9th, SWAC 11th

2006 (url]http://collegesportingnews.com/articles/artfiles/83218_confrank.txt[/url]):
MEAC 11th, SWAC 12th

2005 (http://www.i-aa.org/articles/artfiles/75205_1detail.txt)
SWAC 12th, MEAC 15th

2004 (http://www.i-aa.org/articles/artfiles/65076_detail.txt):
MEAC 10th, SWAC 13th

2003 (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=52925):
MEAC 10th, SWAC 11th

So all of these trump the Sagarin ratings that have been use by the NCAA since the stone age? Or is this a sad attempt to make it seems like you know what you're talking about again?

Even with this sad attempt to give validity to your argument, it's a far cry from what anyone with any sense of reality would say makes up a premier conference. Maybe in some white folks eyes whose always looking to pit one against the other, but to say one is more premier then the other with those numbers and the questions I ask you, that you conveniently dodge is simply stupid.

Mr. Tiger
January 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM

Saragin has the SWAC rated higher than the MEAC. Polls are polls. I don't put much stock in them. McNeese State was rated high this year and was bounced in the first round by Eastern Washington by almost 30 points. Delaware State was ranked higher than Delaware in the Sports Network poll and what happened? xcoffeex

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
TT I'll ask you this question again

If the MEAC is garnering so much national attention, why is it the SWAC has the better TV pkg.?

Why is it that two SWAC schools has had the longest on going NATIONAL TV game of any FCS conference?

Why is it that Grambling, Jackson state, & Southern continue to be offered to join FBS conferences, but yet when FAMU made its fail attempt to become a FBS school there were no takers?

Why is it that when the National spotlight talks even about the tradition of the battle of the bands, the SWAC is use as the measuring stick?

Last but not least, if the MEAC is getting so much national attention, why is it year in and year out the NCAA is beating on the SWAC doors to join the payoff games not to mention everyone on this board?

Just asking...I mean don't you think some of these things may have to do with national attention?

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Here's another question for you TT. I asked this over on the MEAC board and have yet to get an answer, but you being all knowledgeable and all maybe you can help out.

Now as for as being respected, if you're so respected why is it you have only gotten one or two home games when you play in the playoffs even though you've been ranked higher, but yet some conference that comes out of nowhere gets a better seed?

Now I ask you, is that how a premier FCS school is treated? I think not.

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
TT I'll ask you this question again

The SWAC, in my opinion, does not get that due to the quality on the field. It gets it due to the event, the spectacle that SWAC (and HBCU) football (and basketball) is, which the SWAC exemplifies.

And what FBS conferences have offered to have the SWAC schools come in? Not sure what those conferences would have to gain. I do not believe any of those institutions mentioned could compete in any sport against any FBS conference. See the 'low-major', not to be confused with 'mid-major' SLC dominance over the SWAC including 10-1 in MBB this year, roughly 90% winning percentage in baseball, etc for proof of that.

As far as the MEAC in the playoffs, there are quite a few schools that have no problems outbidding the MEAC yearly on the East Coast (as the MEAC can not travel too far), especially if they are not seeds -- see AppSt and Delaware this year -- who easily draw over 20,000 fans a game. The MEAC schools could not compete with that and need to be seeded (see Hampton) to get a home game. The SWAC schools would have the same problem -- more than likely traveling to a seeded SLC school or playing at a school like McNeese or Texas State - San Marcos, which could easily outbid a SWAC school. There's no denying that.

As it relates to the Sagarin -- they are included in the GPI. Why should only one rating be used? Hey, the NCAA selection committee uses the GPI for the playoffs. They have said as much on CSN Waves...

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
The SWAC, in my opinion, does not get that due to the quality on the field. It gets it due to the event, the spectacle that SWAC (and HBCU) football (and basketball) is, which the SWAC exemplifies.

And what FBS conferences have offered to have the SWAC schools come in? Not sure what those conferences would have to gain. I do not believe any of those institutions mentioned could compete in any sport against any FBS conference. See the 'low-major', not to be confused with 'mid-major' SLC dominance over the SWAC including 10-1 in MBB this year, roughly 90% winning percentage in baseball, etc for proof of that.

Still dodging questions i see.

Here's the thing TT, you're opinion doesnt amount to any more then that...an opinion, not fact, and you know what they say about those.

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM
Still dodging questions i see.

I answered the playoff/hosting and Sagarin questions...

I really would like to work at a SWAC school -- would really be a good opportunity to "make a lot out of a little", I think I could really knock some socks off with my energy, my ideas and my passion for collegiate athletics...could really make a dramatic change at a few of the schools... :)

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 1st, 2008, 09:15 PM
a school like McNeese or Texas State - San Marcos, which could easily outbid a SWAC school. There's no denying that.

No one in the SLC can out bid SU or JSU for anything xlolx . Dude you really have a problem.

bluedog
January 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
I answered the playoff/hosting and Sagarin questions...

I really would like to work at a SWAC school -- would really be a good opportunity to "make a lot out of a little", I think I could really knock some socks off with my energy, my ideas and my passion for collegiate athletics...could really make a dramatic change at a few of the schools... :)

I hear ya bruh. You need to work on being inform more and putting out accurate information as oppose to inaccurate information for that to even have a chance at happening.

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
No one in the SLC can out bid SU or JSU for anything xlolx . Dude you really have a problem.

Southern is OUT due to the Bayou Classic. Jackson State is probably the only school in the SWAC that could put up a bid, but more times than not (especially when the SLC gets back on track), we're going to have a seed -- so a SWAC school would have to come to an SLC school (more than likely) as it would be a bus trip in most cases.

I hear ya bruh. You need to work on being inform more and putting out accurate information as oppose to inaccurate information for that to even have a chance at happening.

You may fault me for "inaccurate" information on these boards (even if I do credit the sources that provide such information), but I can assure you that when it comes to work (when I've done writing and such), I put out more than enough accurate information, which can easily be accessed by fans and media alike. xpeacex

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Southern is OUT due to the Bayou Classic. Jackson State is probably the only school in the SWAC that could put up a bid, but more times than not (especially when the SLC gets back on track), we're going to have a seed -- so a SWAC school would have to come to an SLC school (more than likely) as it would be a bus trip in most cases.

This is what you said. Stop trying to spin it.

a school like McNeese or Texas State - San Marcos, which could easily outbid a SWAC school. There's no denying that.
Once again, no one in the SLC can outbid SU or JSU for anything.

Menudo
January 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM
How about getting back to the main topic.

Does the FAMU hire helps or hurts

I think Joe Taylor is an excellent recruiter and will turn FAMU around. I also think that Presiden Harvey at Hampton has to much pride to let Hampton have to many down years. Hampton needs the exposure especially due to how they are growing.

mcveyrl
January 2nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
How about getting back to the main topic.

Does the FAMU hire helps or hurts

I think Joe Taylor is an excellent recruiter and will turn FAMU around. I also think that Presiden Harvey at Hampton has to much pride to let Hampton have to many down years. Hampton needs the exposure especially due to how they are growing.

Thanks for getting back OT!

I'm not in to a whole lot of recruiting news so I have a point, then a whole lot of questions to see if the point stands up.

I would think that Joe Taylor's departure hurts Hampton in recruiting battles, particularly with the emergence of ODU football. One thing I know for sure is that Coach Taylor has a reputation for at least getting guys looks from the NFL (of course, the D. Coord. could also claim some of this success). If Hampton can bring in somebody that recruits like Taylor, then it would help the conference as a whole.

Now, the questions: How heavily does HU recruit in Hampton Roads? Obviously if it's a lot, then the presence of ODU might have a bigger impact than if Coach Taylor was there (he was/is a deity in Hampton Roads).
Does HU lose many recruiting battles with W&M and Norfolk State? If not, how much of that success can be attributed to Coach Taylor?

I don't know the answers to these because I don't follow much recruiting news. Perhaps a current Hampton Roadser could help me out.

HIU 93
January 2nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for getting back OT!

I'm not in to a whole lot of recruiting news so I have a point, then a whole lot of questions to see if the point stands up.

I would think that Joe Taylor's departure hurts Hampton in recruiting battles, particularly with the emergence of ODU football. One thing I know for sure is that Coach Taylor has a reputation for at least getting guys looks from the NFL (of course, the D. Coord. could also claim some of this success). If Hampton can bring in somebody that recruits like Taylor, then it would help the conference as a whole.

Now, the questions: How heavily does HU recruit in Hampton Roads? Obviously if it's a lot, then the presence of ODU might have a bigger impact than if Coach Taylor was there (he was/is a deity in Hampton Roads).
Does HU lose many recruiting battles with W&M and Norfolk State? If not, how much of that success can be attributed to Coach Taylor?

I don't know the answers to these because I don't follow much recruiting news. Perhaps a current Hampton Roadser could help me out.

Hampton Roads recruiting for Hampton has not been very big during the Taylor era. Our strongest recruiting bases have been South Carolina, the midwest, and the DC area.

mcveyrl
January 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hampton Roads recruiting for Hampton has not been very big during the Taylor era. Our strongest recruiting bases have been South Carolina, the midwest, and the DC area.

Thanks.

What do you think is the balance between recruits coming to HU because of Taylor and recruits coming to HU because of HU?

HIU 93
January 2nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks.

What do you think is the balance between recruits coming to HU because of Taylor and recruits coming to HU because of HU?

Good question. Hampton sells itself. Once a person visits the campus, they are usually sold. I think what Coach Taylor was able to do was to get more kids interested in taking that initial look at Hampton.