PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolutions

yosef1969
December 31st, 2007, 08:37 AM
What would like to see the NCAA resolve to do for the benefit of FCS in 2008?

For me there are many things but tops on my list is putting an end to regionalization and seeding 1-16.

TheValleyRaider
December 31st, 2007, 09:11 AM
18 team playoff complete with NEC autobid. At least approved, even if only so it happens officially in 2009

appst97
December 31st, 2007, 09:12 AM
Get rid of the auto bids. If you're not one of the best 16-18 or whatever, you stay home. If you are in a historically weak conference and you think that would be unfair; schedule a tougher OOC schedule to build your case for the commitee.

UAalum72
December 31st, 2007, 09:54 AM
Get rid of the auto bids. If you're not one of the best 16-18 or whatever, you stay home. If you are in a historically weak conference and you think that would be unfair; schedule a tougher OOC schedule to build your case for the commitee.
Quit picking on the Ohio Valley Conf.!

th0m
December 31st, 2007, 09:58 AM
Not only the OVC ;) A case can be made for the Patriot League and possibly the MEAC.

ASUMountaineer
December 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM
No. 1: Seeding the entire field.
No. 2: Keep the field at 16.

FCS Preview
December 31st, 2007, 10:32 AM

No need to expand the playoffs to 18 if you get rid of auto-bids.
This year that would have only affected the Patriot League.

FCS Preview
December 31st, 2007, 10:34 AM
No. 1: Seeding the entire field.
I don't think we need to seed the entire field, but the Top 8.
If you want to avoid conference match-ups in the first round, you'd end up with some weird seeds (esp if the CAA gets 5 teams in) if you seeded all 16.

ASUMountaineer
December 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM
If you want to avoid conference match-ups in the first round, you'd end up with some weird seeds (esp if the CAA gets 5 teams in) if you seeded all 16.

I don't want to avoid conference matchups, I just think #1 has earned the right to play #16. I know they probably try to do that, but that makes more sense to me than regionalization.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 31st, 2007, 10:45 AM

Never going to happen as long as it is the NCAA Tournament.

DetroitFlyer
December 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM

Wow, perhaps one of the absolutely, lets just say, least smart comments of 2007! Thank god the year is almost over.

Yep, let's "improve" the playoffs by only inviting SoCon, Gateway and CAA teams.

Yep, that will solve all the ills, eliminate the current FBS corruption, and crown a real champion on the field.

Sometimes I really wonder about the collective IQ of posters on this board.

downbythebeach
December 31st, 2007, 10:48 AM
How about don't reward playoff games based on money.....is that all college sports is about?

yosef1969
December 31st, 2007, 10:49 AM

Someday I'm sure we will find at least one thing we agree on! xnodx Not today though, IMHO 1-16 is more important than avoiding conference matchups.

FCS Preview
December 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Wow, perhaps one of the absolutely, lets just say, least smart comments of 2007! Thank god the year is almost over.

Yep, let's "improve" the playoffs by only inviting SoCon, Gateway and CAA teams.

You don't think the Big Sky or Southland would get representation? xcoffeex

yosef1969
December 31st, 2007, 10:57 AM

Yep, that will solve all the ills, eliminate the current FBS corruption, and crown a real champion on the field.

Belief in a merit based selection process is dumb???

Perceived corruption is a different topic altogether.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 31st, 2007, 11:03 AM
How about don't reward playoff games based on money.....is that all college sports is about?

I'm going to assume you mean award home games because that is the only rewarding based on money that is done in the FCS playoffs. Unfortunately, the expenses are high and the gate from the larger venues is required to attempt to balance the books. In a perfect world, the top eight seeds would get the home games as long as they bid the minimum. Until the FCS gets boatloads of sponsors to offset the costs, that probably won't happen.

Tribe4SF
December 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM

I would think you'd be in favor of this, as it would increase the chance of a PFL team getting in. After all, that seems to be at the core of most of your brilliant analysis.xrolleyesx

Eyes wide shut!

citdog
December 31st, 2007, 11:27 AM
The NCAA should END IMMEDIATELY the boycott on scheduled postseason events in the State of South Carolina as the Confederate Flag issue is settled in this State.

WMTribe90
December 31st, 2007, 11:47 AM
My wish list:

1) Seed #1 through #8 and then make first round pairings based on regionalization.

2) Create a system to determine autobid conferences based on playoff performance. Each conference would have fours years for their conference's AQ to win a playoff game. If the conference AQ fails to win a playoff game during that four year span then the AQ would be reassigned to the next conference in line (i.e. NEC, Big South, etc.). They in turn would have fours years to win a playoff game. This would apply to all conferences, including the AQs from the CAA, Southland, Big Sky, etc. Once your AQ won a playoff game, the clock would reset for another four-year span.

If for instance, the OVC lost its AQ after four years they could still send a team or team(s) to the playoffs if the committee selected one as a deserving at-large.

This rule change would reward playoff performance and actually allow greater participation by giving new conferences a crack at an AQ spot. This change would also reduce the need to expand the playoffs. It also will force some conferences to take football a little more seriously or risk losing their auto-bid.

3) I would hope the NCAA would focus more on the real issues facing the sport and not on the cosmetic things they are constantly getting hung up on. Less focus on "hostile and abusive" mascots and more more focus on academics and integrity and competition related issues.

4) A more transparent playoff selection process. For example. if San Diego or Dayton need to bolster the OOC schedule in the eyes of the committee, then the committee should state this directly via some sort of post-selection debriefing or press release.

bluehenbillk
December 31st, 2007, 12:19 PM
I would like to continue to make sure that fraudulent and overstated wannabe systems such as the GPI remain non-factors in the selection and-or seeding of playoff teams.

FCS Preview
December 31st, 2007, 12:28 PM
2) Create a system to determine autobid conferences based on playoff performance. Each conference would have fours years for their conference's AQ to win a playoff game. If the conference AQ fails to win a playoff game during that four year span then the AQ would be reassigned to the next conference in line (i.e. NEC, Big South, etc.). They in turn would have fours years to win a playoff game. This would apply to all conferences, including the AQs from the CAA, Southland, Big Sky, etc. Once your AQ won a playoff game, the clock would reset for another four-year span.

But we've covered this before. What if the CAA AQ loses in the first round four years in a row -- but the conference produces 4 consecutive national champions from their at-large qualifiers. Do they still lose their AQ???

brownbear
December 31st, 2007, 12:28 PM
The Ivy League needs to participate in the FCS playoffs. Having the champion of the Ivy League in the playoffs would allow us to compete (I don't think any Ivy team could win it anytime soon) for a national title.

Go...gate
December 31st, 2007, 12:34 PM
The Ivy League needs to participate in the FCS playoffs. Having the champion of the Ivy League in the playoffs would allow us to compete (I don't think any Ivy team could win it anytime soon) for a national title.

Amen. I would like to see Ivy, NEC and PFL (not to mention the SWAC) in the play-offs.

UAalum72
December 31st, 2007, 12:39 PM
But we've covered this before. What if the CAA AQ loses in the first round four years in a row -- but the conference produces 4 consecutive national champions from their at-large qualifiers. Do they still lose their AQ???
That would be quite a longshot, but my first reaction is, yeah.

Or, let any win, AQ or at-large, reset the clock.

Or, give a league four chances no matter how few years - if the CAA had gone 0-5 this year, you could argue the selection committee had absolutely no clue, and the CAA deserved to lose an AQ for a year or three. I'm sure they'd still get their at-large bids the next year.

FCS Preview
December 31st, 2007, 12:42 PM
Or, let any win, AQ or at-large, reset the clock.

Which is what I would favor...

brownbear
December 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Amen. I would like to see Ivy, NEC and PFL (not to mention the SWAC) in the play-offs.

This is true. Everyone always points out that teams from non-BCS conferences (CUSA, MAC, MWC, WAC, Sun Belt) have no chance of competing for an FBS title even if they go undefeated. Same thing goes for FCS. Everyone should take part in the playoffs. If they let each of those four conferences in the tournament, they'll need to expand the playoffs up to probably 24 teams.

WMTribe90
December 31st, 2007, 01:05 PM

Since the AQ is supposed to be the best team from that conference (at least in theory) than only wins by the AQ will reset the clock to four years. It would not be fair to allow any playoff win to count towards AQ retention, since the odds of wining any playoff game would go up with the number of participants and some conferences have more members to begin with too. This really isn't an issue. On the off chance the SoCon, Gateway, or CAA AQ lost four years in a row these conferneces would still receive adequate representation via the at-large selections.

In practice this rule would really only effect conferences like the MEAC, Patriot and OVC conferences, which could realistically lose their AQ. Competition is what college athletics is all about and this is just another way for teams/conferences to earn a national championship (or the right to compete for a NC) on the field. If the OVC or MEAC can't win a playoff game in four attempts why not give the AQ to the Big South and give them a shot?

To me, its a win - win. It would increase compeitition and participation, while avoiding the need to expand the playoffs. A pipe dream I know...

yosef1969
December 31st, 2007, 01:06 PM
Amen, SWAC too!

yosef1969
December 31st, 2007, 01:09 PM
This is true. Everyone always points out that teams from non-BCS conferences (CUSA, MAC, MWC, WAC, Sun Belt) have no chance of competing for an FBS title even if they go undefeated. Same thing goes for FCS. Everyone should take part in the playoffs. If they let each of those four conferences in the tournament, they'll need to expand the playoffs up to probably 24 teams.

Amen again, how can you be a part of the Football Championship Subdivision and choose not participate in the Championship process!

Go...gate
December 31st, 2007, 01:25 PM

Makes it a true, and even more interesting, national championship. Hell, we even have the Confederacy represented with Citdog's alma mater!

WUTNDITWAA
December 31st, 2007, 01:49 PM
New Years resolutions?

For me as an App, it's to do it all over again...again...again.

asu7
December 31st, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yep same here ... win the first game of next season and go from there ...

Also lose some weight ... doesn't everyone have this one tho ...

all that beer and wings during football season is catching up with me ...

xprost2x xbeerchugx xhypedx xnodx

appst97
December 31st, 2007, 05:52 PM

I like your idea of only inviting SoCon, Gateway and CAA. But that might be a hard sell to make to the rest of the FCSxsmiley_wix . Why would having the BEST 16 teams in the nation play for a championship be a 'least smart' idea. I wasn't singling out any school or any conference, but since I seemed to step on your toes, Please tell me why Fordham, GSU, El Cid, Elon.... wouldn't have given Delaware a better game then Delaware St.

FCS Preview
December 31st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Amen again, how can you be a part of the Football Championship Subdivision and choose not participate in the Championship process!
And until last year it was simply known as I-AA. So since they changed the name of the subdivision, all of a sudden the Ivy league and SWAC are ineligible to be there?

appst97
December 31st, 2007, 11:12 PM
And until last year it was simply known as I-AA. So since they changed the name of the subdivision, all of a sudden the Ivy league and SWAC are ineligible to be there?

they choose to be 'ineligible'.....do you really feel that FCS is perfect and that no one, no where can offer a suggestion to make it better, or are you just being an a$$?

FCS Preview
January 1st, 2008, 07:43 AM
they choose to be 'ineligible'.....do you really feel that FCS is perfect and that no one, no where can offer a suggestion to make it better, or are you just being an a$$?

First, I don't think that kicking out those leagues will make FCS better.
Second, I was only pointing out that nobody was complaining about the Ivy and SWAC being in I-AA, but now that it's renamed the Championship Subdivision, all of a sudden then have no right to be there.

A name is just a name. It doesn't change anything.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

DFW HOYA
January 1st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Good point the Ivy needs to accept a spot in the playoffs or go Ind, or NAIA...all the other teams are studying in the hotels and on the planes. and busses...

The playoffs are an invitation, not a requirement--same with the bowls. (Notre Dame turned down all bowl games as a matter of course from 1926-1970.)

I think it's short-sighted of the Ivies, but it's essentially three schools blocking the issue. And it's not "studying" that's the issue, but tradition. Playing the last game of the season before 60,000 at the Yale Bowl means more to the Ivy brahmin than some first round playoff game before 3,253 in Richmond, and the same sense of the "big stage" holds in the Bayou Classic. too.

The playoffs simply aren't the big stage as currently constructed.

yosef1969
January 1st, 2008, 09:38 AM
First, I don't think that kicking out those leagues will make FCS better.
Second, I was only pointing out that nobody was complaining about the Ivy and SWAC being in I-AA, but now that it's renamed the Championship Subdivision, all of a sudden then have no right to be there.

A name is just a name. It doesn't change anything.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Excuse me but people have been complaining about it more than a year. It's not just about the name, it's about the one characteristic that truly differentiates FCS from FBS, thus the name change. Never said they have no right to be in FCS but they choose not participate, and therefore should forfeit that right.

Happy New Year! My resolution is to stop debating this issue (not that I keep any resolutions). But I will continue to contend that FCS has some weaknesses that need to be addressed, if some of them are the FBS will not look as attractive to many programs. xpeacex

D1scout
January 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM

Ditto...ditto...ditto!xnodx

D1scout
January 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM
I don't want to avoid conference matchups, I just think #1 has earned the right to play #16. I know they probably try to do that, but that makes more sense to me than regionalization.

Agreed! I think conference matchups in the first round would make the game even more exciting especially if the teams are big rivals and played each other during the season. If the both make the playoffs then, probably, the game between them during the season was more than likely close. A second time around would be intriguing.:)

D1scout
January 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM

The answer to your question is a resounding, YES!xmadx

D1scout
January 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM
The playoffs are an invitation, not a requirement--same with the bowls. (Notre Dame turned down all bowl games as a matter of course from 1926-1970.)

I think it's short-sighted of the Ivies, but it's essentially three schools blocking the issue. And it's not "studying" that's the issue, but tradition. Playing the last game of the season before 60,000 at the Yale Bowl means more to the Ivy brahmin than some first round playoff game before 3,253 in Richmond, and the same sense of the "big stage" holds in the Bayou Classic. too.

The playoffs simply aren't the big stage as currently constructed.

You're absolutely correct. It is really all about the money. Even the politically correct NCAA in selection of home games, and inconquently resultant advantage during the playoff, is about the MONEY! It shouldn't be but it is.xmadx

appst97
January 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Agreed! I think conference matchups in the first round would make the game even more exciting especially if the teams are big rivals and played each other during the season. If the both make the playoffs then, probably, the game between them during the season was more than likely close. A second time around would be intriguing.:)

maybe that first round matchup between conference foes would help boost historically poor first round attendance figures. I'm certainly not saying it should be planned, but if it happened, it wouldn't neccessarily be a bad thing

FCS Preview
January 1st, 2008, 11:31 AM
maybe that first round matchup between conference foes would help boost historically poor first round attendance figures. I'm certainly not saying it should be planned, but if it happened, it wouldn't neccessarily be a bad thing

OTOH, it would also reduce by 1/2 a conference's representatives in the playoffs. For that reason, I don't see the conferences wanting it. Would you want to see App State - Wofford in the first round? That would guarantee a team in the round of 8, yes...but also reduce their chances of a title by 1/2 too.

yosef1969
January 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM
OTOH, it would also reduce by 1/2 a conference's representatives in the playoffs. For that reason, I don't see the conferences wanting it. Would you want to see App State - Wofford in the first round? That would guarantee a team in the round of 8, yes...but also reduce their chances of a title by 1/2 too.

If ASU was 1 seed and Wofford the 16, Woffort 8 ASU 9 etc etc etc. appsolutely! IMHO can't go wrong with system based on merit, no matter the isolated pitfalls.xnodx

FCS Preview
January 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
If ASU was 1 seed and Wofford the 16, Woffort 8 ASU 9 etc etc etc. appsolutely! IMHO can't go wrong with system based on merit, no matter the isolated pitfalls.xnodx

But the NCAA wouldn't do it...they would mess with the rankings so that say, Wofford was 15th and UNH 16th, for example. And I doubt anyone could seriously argue why one team should be 15th or 16th if it was a straight selection with no AQ's. :)

appst97
January 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM

You are correct, but could you imagine the atmosphere if two conference foes were to meet in a win or go home situation. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that there would have beeen more Wofford fans in Boone on that Saturday, than there were in Missoula

appst97
January 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
But the NCAA wouldn't do it...they would mess with the rankings so that say, Wofford was 15th and UNH 16th, for example. And I doubt anyone could seriously argue why one team should be 15th or 16th if it was a straight selection with no AQ's. :)

The ncaa selection commitee could manipulate it any way they want. But IMHO if it were to come down to send a team to a conf foe or send them acroos this great nation of ours, then they would almost certainly send them to the closer game for travel considerations

McDABest
January 1st, 2008, 12:49 PM
My Wishes for 2008.

1) If the FCS is all about the love of the game, why don't people throw away the money factor, the regionalism, and the non-conference games for the first round in the playoffs. Just say a team is seeded #1-#16.

2) Man, I hope wannabe some FBS schools realize that some FCS schools are better than them. (cough, ULL)

3) Drop ALL playoff rules like no artificial noisemakers, no school merchandise sold at games, or no cheers made by the PA guy.

yosef1969
January 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM

Not a bad post from one of the least smart posters to ever post on this board.xlolx Collective IQ, holding steady...

WrenFGun
January 1st, 2008, 03:11 PM
From a UNH perspective, beat UMASS!

From a global FCS perspective, find a way to make the funds work so that everything isn't about the money.

Boogs
January 1st, 2008, 04:55 PM
18 team playoff complete with NEC autobid. At least approved, even if only so it happens officially in 2009

You fool! xoopsx

Albany got beat by Div. III powerhouse Dayton, 42-21! xoopsx

The NEC/MAAC/PFL do NOT belong in FCS! xpissedx

My FCS resolution is the revamping of categorizing teams in FBS/FCS/D2/D3. xprayx

P.S. Happy New Year. The Rose Bowl game is a bore. Too bad there isn't another game on at the same time which is the reason I'm on this board right now. xwhistlex

appst97
January 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
You fool! xoopsx

Albany got beat by Div. III powerhouse Dayton, 42-21! xoopsx

The NEC/MAAC/PFL do NOT belong in FCS! xpissedx

My FCS resolution is the revamping of categorizing teams in FBS/FCS/D2/D3. xprayx

P.S. Happy New Year. The Rose Bowl game is a bore. Too bad there isn't another game on at the same time which is the reason I'm on this board right now. xwhistlex

be careful for what you say, I've heard of people being shot for a lot less around herexsmiley_wix

Boogs
January 1st, 2008, 06:13 PM
be careful for what you say, I've heard of people being shot for a lot less around herexsmiley_wix

Meaning...the AnyGivenSaturday folks are actually MAAC/NEC/PFL administrators?

FCS Preview
January 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
The Ivy, the maac and the patriot should make there own Division, they never play anyone else.

The MAAC is non-existent now with only two schools left.

TheValleyRaider
January 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM
The Ivy, the maac and the patriot should make there own Division, they never play anyone else.

That's funny, we went 1-1 against the mighty CAA this season, and have OOC games with the SoCon and Big South coming next season xeyebrowx

But don't let facts spoil a good complaint xcoffeex

D1scout
January 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM

app97, I'll bet the attendance at games the first round would have been much different if UMass was matched up with Richmond, Delaware, or James Madison. Especially since they didn't play during the regular season and many fans speculated as to who would have been the CAA Champion if they had.:)