PDA

View Full Version : Some perspective

GSU Eagle
September 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM
This week I had the chance to meet some who lost everything in New Orleans in the disaster there. It just puts some perspective on football when that is compared to life changing events like natural disasters.

Like any Eagle fan I want our team to win every game, but the older (and I hope wiser) I get the more I can appreciate the talents of other teams and the less "hatred" I have for opponents. Maybe I am getting softer with age :). We have our rivals in the SoCon but I can honestly say I pull for every SoCon team when they play out-of-conference. As I tailgate and meet fans of the teams we play I learn more and more to appreciate their love for their teams. Last week I met several McNeese fans in Statesboro and I enjoyed talking with them about their team. I give them alot of credit for making the trip to Statesboro after the disaster in Louisiana.

The game is not played in the parking lot between fans, and it is really refreshing to be able to socialize with opposing fans before and after games.
I know I saw several of our younger GSU fans who were obviously students shouting obscenities at McNeese fans after the game last Saturday. I hope the McNeese fans don't think that is indicative of the type of fans we have.

The 1AA community is a good one. We the fans don't need to act like we are going to war every time one of our teams plays another.

Husky Alum
September 17th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Amen, GSU Eagle. Our hoops coach came from McNeese and coached at Tulane and one of our assistants played at Tulane and coached at Loyola. Some of the stories they told me about their friends' fates in light of the hurricane made me numb.

The GSU folks I met before the NU game were great and we look forward to meeting you guys next year in Statesboro. There was some good natured ribbing at the NU-GSU game with the people running around the field with the school flags, but I think that was it.

The YSU fans were amazing to meet last week, and I can't wait to host some of them when the Penguins return to Boston.