PDA

View Full Version : Dale Lennon Named Football Head Coach at Southern Illinois

CSN-info
December 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Dale Lennon Named Football Head Coach at Southern Illinois
Southern Illinois University Sports Information

Dale Lennon was named football head coach at Southern Illinois University during a press conference at the school on Friday. Lennon has compiled a 90-24 record during the last nine years as head coach at Division II North Dakota, including seven playoff appearances, one National Championship and five North Central Conference Championships.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89628

The press conference will be on WAVES this week.

catamount man
December 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
DAMN GOOD HIRE!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GOKATS
December 28th, 2007, 07:53 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35287

CSN-info
December 28th, 2007, 10:28 PM
........This is the official thread, not the rumor ones.

Rabbit3467
December 28th, 2007, 10:45 PM
This is the official thread, not the rumor ones.

There are cited sources on the other thread, so I would guess that is not a rumor thread.xnonox
Your just a little late CSN.

Gil Dobie
December 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM
This thread has a chance not to go south like the other one.

Congrats to SIU on a good hire. xthumbsupx

CSN-info
December 28th, 2007, 11:22 PM
There are cited sources on the other thread, so I would guess that is not a rumor thread. Your just a little late CSN.This thread was made AFTER SIU announced it, therefore OFFICIAL. Funny that some SDSU and NDSU fans are so preoccupied with this. xlolx

The rest were PREMATURE. xrulesx

DaveK
December 29th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I don't understand why he took the job. It appears to be a lateral move as far as I can tell, with UND becoming a I-AA school starting next year. Because he's a UND alum, I didn't envision him ever leaving unless a Division I or NFL opportunity came along. However, I wish him the best of luck and will now root for Southern Illinois as my 2nd favorite I-AA team.

DaveK
December 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
This thread was made AFTER SIU announced it, therefore OFFICIAL. Funny that SDSU and NDSU is so preoccupied with this. xlolx

Considering the history of NDSU/SDSU fans and their inferiority complex towards all things UND, it is merely par for the course. xcoffeex

PantherRob82
December 29th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Because he's a UND alum, I didn't envision him ever leaving unless a Division I or NFL opportunity came along. However, I wish him the best of luck and will now root for Southern Illinois as my 2nd favorite I-AA team.

He took a DI opportunity.

spelunker64
December 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I don't understand why he took the job. It appears to be a lateral move as far as I can tell, with UND becoming a I-AA school starting next year. Because he's a UND alum, I didn't envision him ever leaving unless a Division I or NFL opportunity came along. However, I wish him the best of luck and will now root for Southern Illinois as my 2nd favorite I-AA team.

Lateral???

Lets see, SIU has an AD, auto-bid opportunity, eligibility, great conf, a nickname(kinda :D),

yep pretty Lateral...xrolleyesx

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2007, 11:40 AM
This thread was made AFTER SIU announced it, therefore OFFICIAL. Funny that SDSU and NDSU is so preoccupied with this. xlolx

I didn't know we had official spokesmen for NDSU and SDSU on AGS xeyebrowx

The Sheriff
December 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I couldn't be happier for Southern Illinois. It's already been established that he's a great coach and his accomplishments on the field speak for themselves.

However another great thing that Saluki fans should be pleased about is his track record with his players off the field. A Lennon-coached football player is going to be a great person in the community. His players never get in trouble, UND football players consistently dominated the NCC Academic honors, and they often reach out to different people in the community.

Evidence was this past season, when they spent their bye week in tornado destructed Northwood, ND helping the town get back on their feet.

Long story short, Southern Illinois will be a very classy football team both on the field and off the field under this coach, if they aren't already. They will represent their community well.

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2007, 01:17 PM
However another great thing that Saluki fans should be pleased about is his track record with his players off the field. A Lennon-coached football player is going to be a great person in the community. His players never get in trouble, UND football players consistently dominated the NCC Academic honors, and they often reach out to different people in the community.

I'll agree that a Lennon-coached football player is going to be a great person in the community. His players however do get in trouble, just like any other schools group of young men. The trouble does not get out to the public like other schools. We can discuss via PM's if you wish.

The Sheriff
December 29th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I'll agree that a Lennon-coached football player is going to be a great person in the community. His players however do get in trouble, just like any other schools group of young men. The trouble does not get out to the public like other schools. We can discuss via PM's if you wish.

I understand Dobie. I was going to say that they don't get in trouble more than the next program. When you are speaking of football programs with 100 or so players, it is hard to keep tabs on everyone at everytime. You just don't see them in the headlines as much other than the boxscore or game story.

siuham
December 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Dale was in attendance at the basketball game last night and made a little speech at halftime, he got quite the reception for most likely no one in the stands actually knowing who the hell he is. Great move for us, hope it works out. I loved Kill as a person, but not so much as a coach. I didn't see much in his play calling to excite me or think he was a genius of any sort. He was a good recruiter but in-game he wasn't the greatest.

skinny_uncle
December 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I couldn't be happier for Southern Illinois. It's already been established that he's a great coach and his accomplishments on the field speak for themselves.

Evidence was this past season, when they spent their bye week in tornado destructed Northwood, ND helping the town get back on their feet.

Long story short, Southern Illinois will be a very classy football team both on the field and off the field under this coach, if they aren't already. They will represent their community well.
Our AD made a list of 12 things he was looking for in a new coach. Lennon fit the profile better than anyone else. His emphasis on academics and community service were factors. I'm looking forward to him helping our program continue to excel.

CopperCat
December 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Good coaching going to a good school. But I still have to wonder why you would pick SIU over MSU (or even UND)........SIU has a good team, but there ain't much else there.xeyebrowx All smack aside, SIU should be in good shape down the road. Lennon can bring in some talent no doubt, and he's got the gameplan to keep SIU at the top.

UNDSioux
December 30th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I already liked SIU, they have been my favorite college basketball team for the past 6-7 years about. now I like their football team too. Its good to see a North Dakota boy make it out the state and make a name for himself. I will be cheering for them, except when and if they ever play us.
And even though I would have liked him to stay, who can resist a 2x payraise!!???

bincitysioux
December 30th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Good coaching going to a good school. But I still have to wonder why you would pick SIU over MSU (or even UND)........SIU has a good team, but there ain't much else there.xeyebrowx All smack aside, SIU should be in good shape down the road. Lennon can bring in some talent no doubt, and he's got the gameplan to keep SIU at the top.

I was shocked when Lennon walked away from the Montana St. job last spring. I said at the time and still feel that MSU is one of the 15 or so best jobs in the FCS. But SIU is probably one of the 5 best jobs in FCS. I'm sure he was offerd alot more money from SIU than from MSU too. It was a no-brainer decision for Coach Lennon.

CSN-info
December 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I didn't know we had official spokesmen for NDSU and SDSU on AGS xeyebrowxI edited it and I meant 'some' 'fans'. xnodx

Great hire for SIU. NODAK isn't mortally wounded by their coach moving on.

TheBisonator
December 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Considering the history of NDSU/SDSU fans and their inferiority complex towards all things UND, it is merely par for the course. xcoffeex

You're just looking for a flame war, aren't you??

Gil Dobie
December 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM

The ignore feature works great. xthumbsupx

DaveK
December 31st, 2007, 03:24 PM

If you look throughout the history of all posts on this board you'll see a lot more derogatory remarks being made by NDSU fans about UND than derogatory remarks being made by me and other Sioux fans about NDSU. Who's looking for the flame war? I just get tired of all the crap and decided after having been quiet for a couple of months it was time to pick up some of the crap that's been thrown into my backyard and toss it back over into your backyard where it came from.

DaveK
December 31st, 2007, 03:26 PM
He took a DI opportunity.

I-AA that is. I was talking about what most people on this board call I-A or FBS. I, and most other people in America, refer to it as Division I.

DaveK
December 31st, 2007, 03:30 PM
Lateral???

Lets see, SIU has an AD, auto-bid opportunity, eligibility, great conf, a nickname(kinda :D),

yep pretty Lateral...xrolleyesx

Yes, lateral. Going from one quality I-AA program to another quality I-AA program is about as lateral as it gets. The only difference is he won't have to wait out the transitional period prior to becoming playoff eligible, but considering the fact that he's a UND alum I'm shocked and disappointed that he left for anything less than a job that could potentially put him in the Super Bowl or BCS championship.

GCWaters
December 31st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Yes, non-lateral. Going from one quality transitionalI-AA program to another established, long-termquality I-AA program is about as non-lateral as it gets.

I fixed it for you! :)

NDSUFREAK
December 31st, 2007, 05:52 PM
I fixed it for you! :)

xlolx xlolx