PDA

View Full Version : Pre-preseason thoughts on SoCon for 2008

Purple Knight
December 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM
It should be an interesting year, but I believe that it won't look like it historically has except maybe Chatty and Western. Furman is a puzzle to me right now. Was last year a fluke or a trend? IMHO:

App State
Ga Sou
Wofford
Elon
Citadel
Furman
Chatty
Western (new hire can make a difference)
Samford

yosef1969
December 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM
It should be an interesting year, but I believe that it won't look like it historically has except maybe Chatty and Western. Furman is a puzzle to me right now. Was last year a fluke or a trend? IMHO:

App State
Ga Sou
Wofford
Elon
Citadel
Furman
Chatty
Samford

With the way Wofford tailed off at the end of the season (other than the win at Montana:) ) I question the 3rd spot for them. I'd probably flip-flop them with Elon. I think Elon, with Riddle having a year under his belt could challenge for 2nd spot. El Cid is also a very interesting team next year.

Mountaineer#96
December 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Samford is gonna have a tough first year in the conference that is WITHOUT question.

JDC325
December 28th, 2007, 01:57 PM
GSU is losing Foster and it is not like we are in reloading mode. With will not be fully sholarshipped, due to only being able to hand out a max of 30 a year, for at least two more years. Next year for me is just in doubt as this year was. We are going to be a REALLY young team next year but hopefully our defense can improve enough to overcome the huge losses on offense. With the Hatch man I think we will be in every game but I do not expect a huge difference from last year. I am just thankful we do not have any DIV II teams on the schedule to be used against us.

Appinator
December 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Well, one of my questions that I haven't seen brought up here is our QB situation. Armanti is undoubtedly one of, if not the best in the country. However, we have had Trey to fall back on whenever he, and Richie too, got hurt. He is a very physical runner and I maybe have seen him slide once.

With CoCo's transition to wide receiver, this leaves us with ZERO backups with experience and we will have, most likely barring any transfers, a true freshman as our 2nd string. CoCo will take snaps if need be, but he is too valuable of a threat at WR to loose. If Armanti went down, we would not only lose our starting QB, we would lose our best WR too in this situation.

citdog
December 28th, 2007, 02:05 PM

App State
Ga Sou
Wofford
Elon
THE Citadel
Furman
Chatty
Samford

And The Citadel will finish in the top two and maybe win the whole DAMN THING! I am on the record.

JDC325
December 28th, 2007, 02:07 PM
And The Citadel will finish in the top two and maybe win the whole DAMN THING! I am on the record.

Sounds like the same ole broken record!!! xlolx

JDC325
December 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Well, one of my questions that I haven't seen brought up here is our QB situation. Armanti is undoubtedly one of, if not the best in the country. However, we have had Trey to fall back on whenever he, and Richie too, got hurt. He is a very physical runner and I maybe have seen him slide once.

With CoCo's transition to wide receiver, this leaves us with ZERO backups with experience and we will have, most likely barring any transfers, a true freshman as our 2nd string. CoCo will take snaps if need be, but he is too valuable of a threat at WR to loose. If Armanti went down, we would not only lose our starting QB, we would lose our best WR too in this situation.

Without a solid backup you guys will be allways be ONE play away from being a high power offense to being an at best above average one. Good luck with that.

Mountaineer#96
December 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I am gonna go out on a limb here:

1. App State - with most of the team intact or reloading how can they not be here?
2. Elon - They are really young on offense and if they can play better D they will look like the 2007 ASU team (out scoring people type)
3. The Citadel - another team that will surprise people....the offense will have the weapons, most questions will be on Defense and with depth for this team.
4.GSU - They finally have a coach who can gameplan and take out some of the big boys, they always have had the players.....could finish #1 or 2 but losing Foster who was the majority of their points could hurt.
5. Wofford - with Coach Ayers leading the wingbone they will do what they usually do, keep games close. Out score them early and they will have trouble getting back into the game. With the offenses returning in the 2008 Socon it will be hard for them.
6. Furman - hard to figure out where to put them, but if they finish here and get blown out by any of these four teams : Wofford, ASU, GSU, The Citadel and this my be Lambs last year. As usual though they could be great.
7. Western Carolina - things will look a little better, they could pick up some huge wins that they can build off of. They have always had the players much like GSU they just need the right coaches and system.
8. UTC - same sort of deal as WCU.....but they have to replace much more talent than them.
9. Samford - taking Elon's place a few years ago down here. It will be hard in 2008 making the move to the Socon.

This is just MY thoughts on what next year MIGHT look like. I say might b/c we all know it will be another great year of great SOCON football.

citdog
December 28th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Sounds like the same ole broken record!!! xlolx

you know how damn close i was to being right this year.xnodx

Eaglesrus
December 28th, 2007, 02:13 PM

App State
Ga Sou
Wofford
Elon
Citadel
Furman
Chatty
Samford

I agree that ASU has to be the favorite, and I certainly agree with your bottom three. I do think that the 2 through 6 spots will be just as big a scramble as this year, though, and I also think there will be a better chance of App State being dethroned.

ButlerGSU
December 28th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Am I mistaken or did you promise to win the SoCon in 2007 as well?

citdog
December 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Am I mistaken or did you promise to win the SoCon in 2007 as well?

promise is such a strong wordxlolx

Appinator
December 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Not smack, but if Western doesn't find a coach soon, Samford might not finish last....

JDC325
December 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
you know how damn close i was to being right this year.xnodx

Horseshoes and handgrenades my friend. :D

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Without a solid backup you guys will be allways be ONE play away from being a high power offense to being an at best above average one. Good luck with that.

Not saying ASU can always find a QB of Armanti's skill set and stature, but he was a true freshman last year. Things worked out pretty well then starting a true freshman. Simply saying, if ASU can pick up a good recruit with a similar skill set (speed) as Armanti, I think the Apps will be ok if AE goes down. xthumbsupx

ButlerGSU
December 28th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Not saying ASU can always find a QB of Armanti's skill set and stature, but he was a true freshman last year. Things worked out pretty well then starting a true freshman. Simply saying, if ASU can pick up a good recruit with a similar skill set (speed) as Armanti, I think the Apps will be ok if AE goes down. xthumbsupx

Many App fans blamed the loss to GSU on AE being rusty from injury. I think that is what JD was hinting at.

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Many App fans blamed the loss to GSU on AE being rusty from injury. I think that is what JD was hinting at.

Maybe he was, but AE also didn't play in other games in which we won--and the GSU loss ended up not meaning too much.

I blamed that loss on Appalachian getting beat by Jayson Foster. xthumbsupx

Appinator
December 28th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Who is Wofford losing this year? I watched the ASU/WC game live, and you guys just plain punched us in the mouth when it came to your o-line vs. our d-line.

Touchdown Yosef
December 28th, 2007, 03:22 PM

I would expect to see Coco Hilary move to the backup QB spot as well as play WR. I don't think we can afford to hope for a good freshman QB. If I was looking at schools as a QB I would stay far away from App until next year. Coco was recruited as a QB and could have very easily been the starter over Armanti before things were ultimately decided. In the Gardner Webb game he got some snaps and looked very impressive both running and throwing. I believe he led us on an 85 yard drive capped off with a 22 yard TD pass to the back right corner of the endzone to Josh Johnson on the run after avoiding a sack. I take this as a sign from the coaching staff that they want to use him if he is needed at QB. We are very deep at WR even without Coco and we can better afford to lose him as a WR than not use him as a QB if needed. I feel that the only reason he won't be a true backup QB sitting on the sidelines is b/c is simply too good to leave off the field and not get the ball in his hands. I am actually surprised we didn't try to use him more in the backfield on some direct snaps that left him the option to pass.

citdog
December 28th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Who is Wofford losing this year? I watched the ASU/WC game live, and you guys just plain punched us in the mouth when it came to your o-line vs. our d-line.

qb collier, rb kevious johnsn, lb tavini.

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I would expect to see Coco Hilary move to the backup QB spot as well as play WR. I don't think we can afford to hope for a good freshman QB. If I was looking at schools as a QB I would stay far away from App until next year. Coco was recruited as a QB and could have very easily been the starter over Armanti before things were ultimately decided. In the Gardner Webb game he got some snaps and looked very impressive both running and throwing. I believe he led us on an 85 yard drive capped off with a 22 yard TD pass to the back right corner of the endzone to Josh Johnson on the run after avoiding a sack. I take this as a sign from the coaching staff that they want to use him if he is needed at QB. We are very deep at WR even without Coco and we can better afford to lose him as a WR than not use him as a QB if needed. I feel that the only reason he won't be a true backup QB sitting on the sidelines is b/c is simply too good to leave off the field and not get the ball in his hands. I am actually surprised we didn't try to use him more in the backfield on some direct snaps that left him the option to pass.

I agree he'll be the backup, but I'm simply saying if we get a true freshman with a similar skill set to Armanti, it may not be the end of our season. I am looking for Brian Quick to be a big time WR in the coming years and he should free up CoCo should we need him at QB.

Touchdown Yosef
December 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I agree he'll be the backup, but I'm simply saying if we get a true freshman with a similar skill set to Armanti, it may not be the end of our season. I am looking for Brian Quick to be a big time WR in the coming years and he should free up CoCo should we need him at QB.

We are on the same page. I too am looking for Quick to be a big time receiver this year. I don't think we will recruit a qb to heavily this year though b/c Armanti has 2 years left. That would deter me from comming to ASU. Next year though I think we will go after and get some top talent, much like last year.

Jerbearasu
December 28th, 2007, 04:44 PM
We are on the same page. I too am looking for Quick to be a big time receiver this year. I don't think we will recruit a qb to heavily this year though b/c Armanti has 2 years left. That would deter me from comming to ASU. Next year though I think we will go after and get some top talent, much like last year.
I don't know... I don't think too many QB's expect to start their freshman year. I would want to come aboard next year if I was a QB... You can redshirt the first year and then you have a full year as the backup to learn the system and really develop and then you have the program for 3 full years... This is exactly what Richie Williams did.

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I don't know... I don't think too many QB's expect to start their freshman year. I would want to come aboard next year if I was a QB... You can redshirt the first year and then you have a full year as the backup to learn the system and really develop and then you have the program for 3 full years... This is exactly what Richie Williams did.

I think we could pick up a top recruit for QB if we went after that. Look at the succession of QBs at USC (I know it's FBS). They all came there knowing they would sit, but ultimately would be on a great team and get plenty of notice.

catamount man
December 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Not smack, but if Western doesn't find a coach soon, Samford might not finish last....

You got it!!!xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

I won't post what I know, and I know A LOT, but let's just say DAYS OF OUR LIVES has NOTHING on our coaching search.

Samford has Pat Sullivan and they will beat us.

Getting back to our coaching search, I was given a scenario last night from a source of mine that almost made me run off the road. I would almost rather spend a night with Citdog's shmeckle than this scenario ever happen!!!!xeekx

xeekx xeekx xeekx xmadx xmadx xmadx xsmhx

BACK TO THE SOAP OPERA!!!

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
App. St.
GSU
Elon
Wofford
The Citadel
Furman
UTC
Samford
Western Carolina

App. St. is returning most of it's players and still has Armanti.

Georgia Southern has two years of non-triple option recruiting and has players that fit the scheme much better now. Yes, we lost Foster but we have Billy Lowe AND Lee Chapple who both looked fantastic in practice. In the spring game last year, the 2nd team offense beat the first team offense led by Foster. I have heard we have picked up some really good transfers and will be signing 30 players. Look for last years recruiting class, one of the best in the programs history, to come in and make an impact. The weak area appears to be the o-line right now but hopefully we will get some JUCO and/or IA transfers to help fill the gaps. Hopefully it won't be that big of a deal. Oh yea, and watch out for the REAL version of the Hatch Attack to be unveiled! This past year Hatcher suited it to match the skill set of Foster. This year, we should have the players to open up the playbook and let Hatcher do what he does best. The SoCon is on notice.

Elon at #3 because of Riddle and that receiving core they have up there. A few seasons ago they were a joke at best but now with Riddle and everyone else giving 110$% they are legit.

Wofford has that huge o-line and a solid running game. They have a decent QB who can run and throw. Their defense is pretty sharp too.

Everyone else is hazy at this point. I could see any of the rest of the teams having a great year or a terrible year. Well, except Western and Samford who will most likely be everyone's punching bags.

appstate38
December 28th, 2007, 07:00 PM
If Western' situation doesn't improve quickly, they could be looking at a season that could be compare to a team playing its first year of football. Those players need something to hang their hats on and not be left in a lerch as to the coaching situation.

catamount man
December 28th, 2007, 07:17 PM
If Western' situation doesn't improve quickly, they could be looking at a season that could be compare to a team playing its first year of football. Those players need something to hang their hats on and not be left in a lerch as to the coaching situation.

eh..........I wouldn't go that far comparing the team to a 1st year team a la Brevard College, but with a new system and coaches, yes absolutely.

Here's hoping for better days for Catamount nation!xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

hapapp
December 28th, 2007, 07:26 PM

This would be the year that I think we need to recruit a replacement for Armanti. I don't think you want to wait until his rising senior season to bring in someone new. It is a bit much to assume that his successor would be a freshman. Not everyone can come in and perform as AE did as a freshmen.

appstate38
December 28th, 2007, 07:43 PM
eh..........I wouldn't go that far comparing the team to a 1st year team a la Brevard College, but with a new system and coaches, yes absolutely.

Here's hoping for better days for Catamount nation!xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I guess I mean it as a team trying to find its identity and what it wants to be known for. That is what I meant. No disrespect to the level of athletes on the team.

straightshooter
December 28th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Let's make one thing perfectly clear: Armanti Edwards was not a blue chip QB prospect out of HS. He just happens to be a gifted player that the AppSt offense fits perfectly. He wasn't on the radar of any of the big BCS schools. We can say that he's performed far better than he was projected to by the recruiting services. Scout.com had him rated a two star player.

bench
December 28th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I am actually surprised we didn't try to use [Coco] more in the backfield on some direct snaps that left him the option to pass.

I was looking for them to run jet (WR motion handoff) into a pass with Coco, but I don't think it ever happened. We don't run a whole lot of gadget plays period, but jet pass or jet with a lateral pass back to Armanti would be killer.

08Dawg
December 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I think App's prett solidly at the top, Western and Samford at the bottom, but for the rest? I think it's wide open. Not having seen GSU play this year, I tend to feel them trending downward, leaving El Cid, Furman, Wofford and Elon to fight it out. We'll have a young defense with the loss of Rowell at LB, Broughton at DE and Lawson at Dback. New faces will step up, though. Run game will be young, too. It's anybody's conference once again next year!

terrierbob
December 28th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I guess beating Montana at Wash-Griz constitutes "tailing off"...

drpnut
December 29th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I predict it the following way...

Appy (6-2)
Woffy (6-2)
ElCid, Ga South, Elon, Furman tied (5-3)
WCU (3-5)
Chatty (2-6)
Samford (1-7)

SoCon gets three to four in post-season.

Peace

citdog
December 29th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Appy (6-2)
Woffy (6-2)
WCU (3-5)
Chatty (2-6)
Samford (1-7)

Peace

someone getting woffed next year huh!

Jiggs
December 29th, 2007, 10:26 AM
No way Samford finishes last.;)

B&G
December 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I was looking for them to run jet (WR motion handoff) into a pass with Coco, but I don't think it ever happened. We don't run a whole lot of gadget plays period, but jet pass or jet with a lateral pass back to Armanti would be killer.

I think they tried a double pass w/ CoCo aganst Michigan but he wasn't able to get the pass off.

Cocky
December 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM
No way Samford finishes last.;)

I don't believe Samford will finish next to last either. The Samford team this year was better than the Chattanooga team we played. Samford should have a much better team in 08.

bench
December 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM
How many teams would the SoCon have gotten into the playoffs if Samford had been a member this season? At least three, maybe four? I'm not knocking them, but an extra D-I win along with the conference's high SOS for a couple of those teams in the logjam would have put them in.

I don't see any way that the SoCon doesn't get at least three teams in the postseason for the foreseeable future.

bench
December 29th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I think they tried a double pass w/ CoCo aganst Michigan but he wasn't able to get the pass off.

I think that was the WR screen where he lined up too close to one of the other receivers, nearly resulting in a turnover.

dungeonjoe
December 29th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Rumor has it Wofford is getting a Navy QB transfer next year-- a QB that can run and do something I am not familiar with--- "pass" Supposedly he has an arm like a rifle. Perhaps that could make Wofford's stock rise.

thirdgendin
December 29th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Appy (6-2)
Woffy (6-2)
WCU (3-5)
Chatty (2-6)
Samford (1-7)

Peace

33-31 record there.

bench
December 29th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Rumor has it Wofford is getting a Navy QB transfer next year-- a QB that can run and do something I am not familiar with--- "pass" Supposedly he has an arm like a rifle. Perhaps that could make Wofford's stock rise.

Pass? Like, throwing a football? Why on earth would Wofford want to do that?

This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes

furman94
December 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't put us as king of the cellar dwellers just yet. We, loosing some great players, should be loaded next year. I see us as a contender again, with this past season as a slip up on the road to another championship! After all, it is our 20th Annivers. of the only Private School to ever win one!

dungeonjoe
December 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Pass? Like, throwing a football? Why on earth would Wofford want to do that?

This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes

I cannot explain that one. I heard, however, that a team can advance the football down the field quicker using this new technique.

citdog
December 29th, 2007, 03:28 PM

WHY WOULD WOFFORD TAKE A TRANSFER WHO **** ALL OVER HIS CLASSMATES AND QUIT CANOE U?

ERASU2113
December 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM

Will you be making the trip to Boone?

citdog
December 29th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Will you be making the trip to Boone?

APPSOLUTELY! xlolx

ERASU2113
December 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM
APPSOLUTELY! xlolx

Awesome :D

Can't wait to show El Cid some southern hospitality xthumbsupx

Touchdown Yosef
December 29th, 2007, 05:33 PM

I agree. Some of our pass plays are fairly straight forward and simple, the only twist is the Armanti run threat. I think giving defenses one more thing to think about and prepare for would be great. I am not a huge fan of gadget plays myself but why not use the skills that are at your disposal, ala Dexter Jackson and the reverse.

Putting Coco and Armanti both in the backfield offers a wide range of possibilities and I would love to see the havoc it could create for D coordinators.

As far as recruiting a QB for next year, I was not saying we shouldn't do it but rather that if I was a QB I would go other places than App State. Riding the bench for 2 years is not that appealing for anyone, I would rather come in next year and redshirt one year and hopefully start. Maybe all of us in our infinite wisdom can see how having 2 years of practice can really help, but I don't know if high school seniors share our wisdom. I agree that we should be after a QB now but I think we will be in a much better recruiting position next year. I would expect to sign 2 QB's next year much like we did last year. And hey, if Coco turns does turn into a backup QB and does well he has one more year of eligibility past Armanti and he could be our QB in 2010.

ERASU2113
December 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM
As far as recruiting a QB for next year, I was not saying we shouldn't do it but rather that if I was a QB I would go other places than App State. Riding the bench for 2 years is not that appealing for anyone, I would rather come in next year and redshirt one year and hopefully start. Maybe all of us in our infinite wisdom can see how having 2 years of practice can really help, but I don't know if high school seniors share our wisdom. I agree that we should be after a QB now but I think we will be in a much better recruiting position next year. I would expect to sign 2 QB's next year much like we did last year. And hey, if Coco turns does turn into a backup QB and does well he has one more year of eligibility past Armanti and he could be our QB in 2010.

You don't have to start right away and be successful at QB at ASU. A certain #7 should be a good example xthumbsupx. Regardless, they will most likely have a better shot at one of the top QBs after '09 for the simple fact, you're right.....who would want to sit and have atleast one year wasted?

PaladinFan
December 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I don't see Furman finishing 6th personally. Furman returns experience in the backfield, nearly the entire offensive line, and what promises to be a much speedier defense. Agreed though, the 2008 Paladins could be very good or a complete flop. Most FU fans are of the impression, however, that Furman will put up a lot of points in '08. If we can recover defensively, we'll be just fine.

GSU has lost 3 of 4 to the Paladins and historically do not play well in Greenville, even in good years. Their offense has been completely anemic the last two years against Furman with the exception of Jayson Foster (who was held well below season averages both times).

I see:

1. App State
2. The Citadel
3. Furman
4. Wofford
5. Georgia Southern
6. Elon
7. Western Carolina
8. Samford

That said, I can see just about anyone but WCU and Samford taking the top spot.

drpnut
December 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Let's talk about it this way: which team(s) has/have more building/rebuilding to do.

Here is my take--

Appy--they don't have many holes to fill. I'm sure they can get a safety to take Lynch's spot, and the second string running-back will certainly be a more than adequate replacement for KR.

GaSouth-- I believe they are relatively young, but they must replace the midget man-beast JF. I'm not sold that the Frosh QB will make enough strides.

Elon-- They are young... Was last year a fluke, or can Riddle and company grow a lot more this year? Remains to be seen.

ElCid-- The Blanchard kid will be a better QB than Lawson. I"m not sure who else they lose, but this could be the year they crack the top three.

Woffy-- This is the truest "system" team in the Conference. They run so many backs, Kevious' departure is not a big deal. They have always had a suspect pass-D so they will at least not go backwards next year. Th o-line is losing 2 i think but the 2nd teamers were as good this year as starters. The QB situation is solid, especially with the transfer of the DAvis kid from Navy. Wofford could really suprise a bunch of folks.

Furman-- kind of a mystery... I believe the Sorrells kid could become a good leader, and the other skill positions seem to be solid. I'm not sure who they are recruiting, but I believe they are about like GASouth in their mix.

WEstern-- need a coach, nuff said.

Chatty-- have skill studs but can't seem to put it together.

Samford-- coming from the OVC, nuff said.

furman94
December 30th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I don't see Furman finishing 6th personally. Furman returns experience in the backfield, nearly the entire offensive line, and what promises to be a much speedier defense. Agreed though, the 2008 Paladins could be very good or a complete flop. Most FU fans are of the impression, however, that Furman will put up a lot of points in '08. If we can recover defensively, we'll be just fine.

GSU has lost 3 of 4 to the Paladins and historically do not play well in Greenville, even in good years. Their offense has been completely anemic the last two years against Furman with the exception of Jayson Foster (who was held well below season averages both times).

I see:

1. App State
2. The Citadel
3. Furman
4. Wofford
5. Georgia Southern
6. Elon
7. Western Carolina
8. Samford

Replace Citadel with Wofford and I agree!

The Moody1
December 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I see:

1. App State
2. The Citadel
3. Furman
4. Wofford
5. Georgia Southern
6. Elon
7. Western Carolina
8. Samford

I think UTC will finish in there somewhere. xsmiley_wix

Baldy
December 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Let's talk about it this way: which team(s) has/have more building/rebuilding to do.

Here is my take--

Appy--they don't have many holes to fill. I'm sure they can get a safety to take Lynch's spot, and the second string running-back will certainly be a more than adequate replacement for KR.

GaSouth-- I believe they are relatively young, but they must replace the midget man-beast JF. I'm not sold that the Frosh QB will make enough strides.

Elon-- They are young... Was last year a fluke, or can Riddle and company grow a lot more this year? Remains to be seen.

ElCid-- The Blanchard kid will be a better QB than Lawson. I"m not sure who else they lose, but this could be the year they crack the top three.

Woffy-- This is the truest "system" team in the Conference. They run so many backs, Kevious' departure is not a big deal. They have always had a suspect pass-D so they will at least not go backwards next year. Th o-line is losing 2 i think but the 2nd teamers were as good this year as starters. The QB situation is solid, especially with the transfer of the DAvis kid from Navy. Wofford could really suprise a bunch of folks.

Furman-- kind of a mystery... I believe the Sorrells kid could become a good leader, and the other skill positions seem to be solid. I'm not sure who they are recruiting, but I believe they are about like GASouth in their mix.

WEstern-- need a coach, nuff said.

Chatty-- have skill studs but can't seem to put it together.

Samford-- coming from the OVC, nuff said.
The only reason Lowe didn't start last year was because of JFoz. There is no doubt that he is the real deal. He was the first team all-state 5A QB in Florida (thank goodness Tebow was in 4A) and quarterbacked the USA Today #1 team in the nation to it's second 15-0 season in a row. However, he did beat out Tim Tebow for the MVP of the Florida-California all star game in 2005.

Believe me, the QB position is the least of my worries for next years team. We have somehow got to find an OL that can protect Lowe...now that is what I'm really worried about.

fuEMO
December 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM
As far as Furman goes we will have a pretty good picture after Spring practice. As far as who Furman is recruiting. Historically Furman plays very few true freshman.

That said some redshirt freshmen will play a large role in Furman making a run toward the SoCon championship.

Seth Skogan 6-4, 230 TE A converted wide receiver in high school. Set Tennessee records for receptions (282), yards (5,281 yards), and receiving touchdowns (62).

Tank Baker 5-9 215 TB Played for powerhouse Maryeville HS. 3,006 yards and 38 touchdowns and three state championships.

Brandon Boykin 6-0 220 ILB Played for White Station HS in Memphis. Choose Furman over Navy. Senior season stats: 88 tackles, including 19 for-loss, four sacks, and three fumble recoveries.

Seddrick Cunningham 5-11 188 WR/QB Combined for 4,513 all-purpose yards in his career. A faster version of RJ Webb?

IMO, the star of the redshirts. Kaddaron Anderson 6-1 209 OLB Anderson represents the new direction of future Paladin linebackers. In yeas past he would play safety but he has excelled at making the transition to outside linebacker. My guess is he will start as a freshman. Registered 342 tackles, 12 interceptions, eight forced fumbles, and four fumble recoveries in his career. Cousin Arkee Whitlock was a standout tailback for Southern Illinois University.

Like many Paladin fans, I've learned to be humble after this past season. Furman had every reason to tank the rest of the season after losses to Citadel and APP, but gut check wins over Elon, GSU and a dominating performance over hapless Western will carry over for the 08 season.

Wofford got a lot of credit for rolling through the later part of the 06 season and it did help them start the 07 season strong. My hope is Furman will do the same. The key in my opinion will be playing well the first four games next season, gaining confidence in a new offensive leader Sorrells and some new defensive leaders.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7Zw8oznF4

Billy Lowe's high school highlight reel.

The scary thing for the rest of the SoCon is that Lee Chapple is going to give Lowe a serious run for the money. Billy Lowe is a dual threat and has a balanced arm/speed attack. Chapple is a pocket QB and has one hell of an arm and is very accurate.

They also have one of the best QB coaches in College football to help develop them. Hatcher was a record setting and award winning QB in his college days and also was the QB coach for Daunte Culpepper was there.

There won't be QB issues for Georgia Southern unless two guys get hurt.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I don't see why Elon cannot be a legit contender for at least number 2 for this year. They may be the only SoCon team that does not seem to have any major losses that I know of. The Citadel proved that they can be strong even without Lawson and should finish in the top half. Richardson's backup for ASU seems to be pretty good and will probably have them competing for a four-peat (AE needs a good runningback sidekick to pull it off). Antonio Miller is gone for UTC and they will probably not be very good.

Pretty much every other team is a wildcard. GSU has lost their one-man wrecking crew and has to begin rebuilding our entire O-line and defense, Samford is coming from another conference, Western will have a new coach, Furman seems to have stumbled and no one knows when they will get back up, and Wofford has to replace some key players.

We could be in for another wild race in the SoCon, just not as wild as this year's.

ERASU2113
December 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM
There's always one team that does better than expected....

most likely will be a team that is supposed to have a down year..expect the unexpected.

Eaglesrus
December 30th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I don't see why Elon cannot be a legit contender for at least number 2 for this year. They may be the only SoCon team that does not seem to have any major losses that I know of. The Citadel proved that they can be strong even without Lawson and should finish in the top half. Richardson's backup for ASU seems to be pretty good and will probably have them competing for a four-peat (AE needs a good runningback sidekick to pull it off). Antonio Miller is gone for UTC and they will probably not be very good.

Pretty much every other team is a wildcard. GSU has lost their one-man wrecking crew and has to begin rebuilding our entire O-line and defense, Samford is coming from another conference, Western will have a new coach, Furman seems to have stumbled and no one knows when they will get back up, and Wofford has to replace some key players.

We could be in for another wild race in the SoCon, just not as wild as this year's.

I don't know about needing to rebuild our defense. It wasn't our strongest area to be sure, but all 11 starters will be back and with this year's experience I would think they will be better.

seantaylor
December 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
GSU's D returns the ENTIRE two deep. I can't remember any team that has ever returned their entire 2 deep. Even without Foster, GSU is still the fastest team in the country. The O line is our only worry next year.

CID1990
December 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
The Citadel proved that they can be strong even without Lawson and should finish in the top half.

Blanchard looks much better than Duran did early in his career. He definitely throws the ball better than Duran ever did (Duran always seemed to throw very low to me). Blanchard also has better pocket awareness, and also like to throw a lick from time to time when he runs.

The question mark will be whether Blanchard will grow and mature the way Duran did. A lot of guys down this way have not seen the things in Blanchard that I have, but I stand by my prediction that by the end of his career at The Citadel he will have put up much better passing numbers than Duran.

I think that next couple years are very bright based on what we have on the sidelines right now. I'm also excited about Coach Higgins' recruiting skills. He seems to know where to find those gems that the FBS schools seem to overlook.

Grabholdofyosef
December 31st, 2007, 06:39 AM
i was watching the asu-mich game on christmas day and it looked like they ran something like that near the end for coco. He ended up not throwing it and got tackled.

asu7
December 31st, 2007, 08:45 AM
THE CITADEL will shock people this year ... ELON will do well too ...

and that is all I have to say about that ...

citdog
December 31st, 2007, 08:48 AM
THE CITADEL will shock people this year ... ELON will do well too ...

and that is all I have to say about that ...

thanks for the ringing endorsement. however, i don't think if we win now it should come as a shock to anyone. The Citadel has turned the corner and is going to take her rightful place among the top programs in the FCS.

OL FU
December 31st, 2007, 08:50 AM
thanks for the ringing endorsement. however, i don't think if we win now it should come as a shock to anyone. The Citadel has turned the corner and is going to take her rightful place among the top programs in the FCS.

There is no moral position in FCS football:p

The last three years should have taught you thatxsmiley_wix

bench
December 31st, 2007, 09:53 AM

I wouldn't have thought you would use the feminine possessive for that particular institution

Millwoch
December 31st, 2007, 09:56 AM
Blanchard looks much better than Duran did early in his career. He definitely throws the ball better than Duran ever did (Duran always seemed to throw very low to me). Blanchard also has better pocket awareness, and also like to throw a lick from time to time when he runs.

The question mark will be whether Blanchard will grow and mature the way Duran did. A lot of guys down this way have not seen the things in Blanchard that I have, but I stand by my prediction that by the end of his career at The Citadel he will have put up much better passing numbers than Duran.

I think that next couple years are very bright based on what we have on the sidelines right now. I'm also excited about Coach Higgins' recruiting skills. He seems to know where to find those gems that the FBS schools seem to overlook.

Here are some comparison numbers even though blanchard only had 3 starts(and remember his 1st ever start was against the 3 time national champs)

Lawson 8 starts
1879 yards passing going 158-238-5 (66% completion rate)
537 yards rushing

Blanchard 3 starts
824 yards passing going 58-91-1 (63% completion rate)
201 yards rushing

I think you are right about Blanchard (remember that 2 of his starts were against Elon and Appy, both ranked opponents.) We need to keep adding speed, we have 2-3 guys we reshirted this year that will take some pressure off of Roberts at WR. That could be dangerous. I think the Defense will be better(but not the best in the league)

HaveFunKc
December 31st, 2007, 12:53 PM
I'll go ahead and ask... Any particular reason most everyone thinks Samford is destined to win zippo next year in the SoCon?

walliver
December 31st, 2007, 03:45 PM
I'll go ahead and ask... Any particular reason most everyone thinks Samford is destined to win zippo next year in the SoCon?

It's official conference policy.:D

The new kid is always picked last (even when VMI was in the SoCon). Wofford was picked to finish last the first two years we were in the conference, before finally moving up to 8th in the third year. (We never finished last)

WCU LawCat
December 31st, 2007, 03:58 PM
This past season was crazy. Every game (most) was a battle. The idea of "the big three" in my opinion has officially died with the addition of so many quality coaches (Wiggans, Lembo, Hatcher, etc...Wagner?)

2008 is going to be even crazier. Allison gets one last year to win. Teams that made strides return some but lose some. WCU had tallet last year and lost a ton of very close games. A new coach might bring major life to the program. Its going to be a crazy year and anyone could win the conferance. If I had to make a pick I would pick app. The recruiting they have been able to do because of three national titles and a victory over Michigan is going to allow them to counter any loses.

Outside of Allison...the most pressure will be on Lamb at Furman. 6-5 does not get it done in Travelers Rest.

(PS WCU just hired Nebraska assistant HC and former Wayne State College HC Dennis Wagner)

fjblair
December 31st, 2007, 04:30 PM
GSU's D returns the ENTIRE two deep. I can't remember any team that has ever returned their entire 2 deep. Even without Foster, GSU is still the fastest team in the country. The O line is our only worry next year.

On what criteria do you claim GSU as "the fastest team in the country"?

OL FU
December 31st, 2007, 04:49 PM

Homerismxnodx xsmiley_wix

citdog
December 31st, 2007, 05:05 PM
(Wiggans, Lembo, Hatcher,

WTF IS WIGGANS?

Appdad
December 31st, 2007, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't have thought you would use the feminine possessive for that particular institution

TITLE IX!

bench
December 31st, 2007, 05:22 PM
WTF IS WIGGANS?

You know, the hippies that practice pagan witchcraft and get all pissy about Halloween.

citdog
December 31st, 2007, 06:00 PM
TITLE IX!

no. The Citadel is our Mother. We are her SONS!

citdog
December 31st, 2007, 06:02 PM
You know, the hippies that practice pagan witchcraft and get all pissy about Halloween.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

rep pts

nice mike tyson's punchout training montage. or is it ring king?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 31st, 2007, 11:16 PM

Because they were 2-6 in a weak conference. The top teams in that conference were 8-0 and 7-1 in conference and 9-3 and 8-4 overall. They also have a playoff record (in recent history, at least) that is comparable to that of the Patriot League. I wouldn't bet a lot of money that they will finish 0-fer, but I really don't see them winning any more than 2 games.

I don't know about needing to rebuild our defense. It wasn't our strongest area to be sure, but all 11 starters will be back and with this year's experience I would think they will be better.

We need to find some guys that are more experienced playing defense. This year we were using a lot of converted offensive players even without all of the injuries and suspensions that we had on our D this year. I would expect that we are recrutiing a lot of defensive players or at least looking for transfers.

Eaglesrus
January 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Because they were 2-6 in a weak conference. The top teams in that conference were 8-0 and 7-1 in conference and 9-3 and 8-4 overall. They also have a playoff record (in recent history, at least) that is comparable to that of the Patriot League. I wouldn't bet a lot of money that they will finish 0-fer, but I really don't see them winning any more than 2 games.

We need to find some guys that are more experienced playing defense. This year we were using a lot of converted offensive players even without all of the injuries and suspensions that we had on our D this year. I would expect that we are recrutiing a lot of defensive players or at least looking for transfers.

I agree that we need to recruit defensive players for the future, but those offensive players from last year were athletic and now have a year of experience. Personally, I think we'll be okay on that side this year whether we bring in anybody who can help immediately or not.

seantaylor
January 2nd, 2008, 12:56 AM

Runs over 50 yards. Mark it down.

citdog
January 2nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Runs over 50 yards. Mark it down.

and that guy is no longer on your team. as i stated before....

back to 3-8!

furman94
January 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
This past season was crazy. Every game (most) was a battle. The idea of "the big three" in my opinion has officially died with the addition of so many quality coaches (Wiggans, Lembo, Hatcher, etc...Wagner?)

2008 is going to be even crazier. Allison gets one last year to win. Teams that made strides return some but lose some. WCU had tallet last year and lost a ton of very close games. A new coach might bring major life to the program. Its going to be a crazy year and anyone could win the conferance. If I had to make a pick I would pick app. The recruiting they have been able to do because of three national titles and a victory over Michigan is going to allow them to counter any loses.

Outside of Allison...the most pressure will be on Lamb at Furman. 6-5 does not get it done in Travelers Rest.

(PS WCU just hired Nebraska assistant HC and former Wayne State College HC Dennis Wagner)

AMEN! I don't see us having another 6-5 next year, but if we do, the Paladin Nation will be putting some For-Sale signs in a certain coach's yard...

Eyes of Old Main
January 2nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
AMEN! I don't see us having another 6-5 next year, but if we do, the Paladin Nation will be putting some For-Sale signs in a certain coach's yard...

I'm OK with 10-1 so long as I get to pick the loss.

Appinator
January 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
I am surprised no one has brought up what they think will happen to all off the unfortunate souls who will call themselves our out of conference opponents. Here is my take (By the way, thanks go out to UNHWildCats for his schedule site):

We haven’t been able to find an FBS opponent yet, so this will have a huge impact on our SOS for our OCC play. If we are able to stay in the ranks of Division 1, ASU will have a solid group to play going into SoCon play. If not, we might have a surprise upset on our hands somewhere in conference play. Looking at our games that we have commitments to at this point, at JMU and Presbyterian, I have to give the Apps a 2-0 record. Yes, we will be on the road against the Dukes, but our main weakness this year in the playoffs and regular season was our run defense. For 08, we return all of our front 7, with our Vanderbilt transfer able to jump in the rotation as well. As long as Landers doesn’t have a career day passing, AE and the Apps will not be denied the W. The transitional Blue Hose will provide a good game, but much like our last few match ups against their future Big South brethren, Gardner Webb, I don’t think the game will be in question very long. Apps 2-0 with games still left to be added.

The Mocs have C-USA perennial contender Memphis on their slate. This year’s Tigers team wasn’t one for the ages, but they did win enough games to go to some toilet bowl game (RL Carriers New Orleans Bowl) in which they lost to go 7-6. A winning record none the less. UTC has had some hard times as of late, and unless something big changes soon, I don’t see a way that the Mocs will keep up with their in state opponent. With no other games showing up as of yet for OOC opponents, I would venture to say that if the Mocs went into SoCon play at .500, they had something to cheer about.

THE Citadel will have to wait until October 4th to play THE Appalachian State University, but they will have an alright OCC in front of them before climbing the mountain to Kidd Brewer. Webber International, at Clemson, and Princeton all preface their SoCon road to the playoffs. With the way that Blanchard played against the ‘Neers this year, I would not be surprised to see a 2-1 Bulldog team go into league play with a close loss to the FBS Tigers. I would love to see the Dogs go to Upstate SC to beat the orange-clads, but a valiant effort will be in vain.

Elon’s test will come early, as the Phoenix begins the season hosting an experienced Richmond team poised to make a move in the FCS realm. However, the same can be said for these fire birds, and this might just be the game of the week for week one. If Elon can pull out the W, they will have set the stage for a big year. If not, their next two games, at Stony Brook and hosting Presbyterian, will be great warm ups for a promising SoCon season. If the Phoenix can find a running game, Riddle will have all of the weapons to have a great year and a deep run.

Much respect goes out to Furman for its OOC schedule. Furple fans have some exiting games to ring in the 2008 season, going to VT and Colgate, while hosting Delaware. A Hokie team that will be lead be the FBS version of Armanti, Tyrod Taylor, will be a tough opener for the Christian Knights, but they should put up a valiant effort. Colgate and Delaware are winnable games if they can shake off the demons of 2007. Delaware will have lost the core of their championship caliber team, and if the Paladins go 2-1 in their opening stretch, the rest of the SoCon will be on their toes when Furman rolls into town.

The pride of rural south east Georgia, will be pitted against the Dawgs of UGA to open their season. The entire SoCon will be waiting to see how good a replacement Lowe will be for Payton winner Jayson Foster in this opening match up. If he performs as he did against my Apps, coming in and making some great throws, he could be a great driver for the Hatch attack. I won’t go as far to say that they will beat the 2nd most annoying team in the SEC (Florida is the most annoying), but the Eagles will put up a good fight. Austin Peay and Northeastern should be good warm up games as well, testing the team’s abilities, but also providing some key OCC victories before starting SoCon play.

With maybe the most difficult SoCon OOC schedule, Samford will open their season with two FBS opponents, Baylor and Ole Miss, and Presbyterian. If the newbies can win any of these games, they might have a shot stealing one or two games here and there in SoCon action. However, starting off the season with two paycheck games is no way to prepare a team for conference play at a much higher level than what they were used to.

Rumor has it that ASU was in talks with Florida State to play in 08 when the Seminoles realized they called the wrong 828 area code number. They quickly realized that even Adam Sandler’s FSU team would be no match for AE and the crew, and went south to the ‘wee. Presbyterian is also on the Catamount’s schedule, who is apparently pretending to be in the SoCon this year. The ‘Noles will undoubtedly write “Thanks for the W” in the memo line of the check, but could the new kids on the Division 1 block look for revenge for last years loss? I won’t let the Catamounts go o-fer in OOC play for karma reasons, but the Blue Hose can’t loose them all right?

Back in 02, my first homecoming as a Mountaineer was an amazingly beautiful afternoon that happened to be spoiled by some college in SC I’d never heard of. Wofford flexed it’s muscle again this year, running over ASU to give the ‘Neers their first loss in 17 games. What will they bring to the table in 08? Well they could be walking into SoCon play undefeated with an opener against Chuck South and a game against South Carolina and the Ole ball coach. Let’s see, Wofford plays one of the most difficult offenses to defend, the Gamecocks lost their Defensive Coordinator. SC had a young defense last year and they will be a tough test. Wofford always hangs in these games, so I wouldn’t put it past them to sneak an upset here.

Let me know what you think, I’m sure it will be another great year for the SoCon and bad for everyone else.

ERASU2113
January 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
No one wants to play ASU for the same reason Jim Grobe said Wake will not play us. They don't want to be the next Michigan...he believes we would kick their tail.

If ASU gets a FBS team, I'd be more nervous about going through the SoCon than facing a FBS team.

Jiggs
January 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
With maybe the most difficult SoCon OOC schedule, Samford will open their season with two FBS opponents, Baylor and Ole Miss, and Presbyterian. If the newbies can win any of these games, they might have a shot stealing one or two games here and there in SoCon action. However, starting off the season with two paycheck games is no way to prepare a team for conference play at a much higher level than what they were used to.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Samford vs. Baylor game has been scrapped.