PDA

View Full Version : boston college schedules 4 I-AA's in future

Husky Alum
September 17th, 2005, 12:43 PM
The University of Chestnut Hill (that's the politically correct name for Boston College - which is neither a college, nor is it located in Boston) announced on WEEI Sports Radio in Boston, that in an attempt to become "New England's 1-A football team" they will play a New England 1-AA team every year for the foreseeable future.

AD Gene Fillippo announced the following 1-AA games for the Iggles.

2006 - Maine
2007 - UMass
2008 - URI
2009 - Northeastern

In typical UCH arrogance, DeFilippo said the following...

"We want to be New England's 1-A team, so we hope by playing the 1-AA schools in New England that we will develop loyalties at those schools, so when we play Maine, UMass, URI, Northeastern, obviously their fans will root for them, but when we play non-New England schools, we hope those schools fans will root for us."

Right Gene, the only time a Northeastern fan would root for UCH is if you were playing the Osama Bin Laden All Stars on the road in Baghdad.

Can you believe the gall of the guy?

Yeah, a Maine fan will root for you guys in football and hope to kick your arse in every other sport, including hockey.

RadMann
September 17th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Why would they anticipate being "New England's team"? They are a single-denominational school, not a public university. Odd statement when I think they are really playing more I-AA games because they think they'll have easy wins which they are desparate for now that they are playing in a MUCH more difficult conference compared to the BE.

ccd494
September 17th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Right Gene, the only time a Northeastern fan would root for UCH is if you were playing the Osama Bin Laden All Stars on the road in Baghdad.

That may be the most dispicable, disgusting, ill-thought out statement I have ever seen.

In that situation, you hope the stadium implodes. ;)

Umass74
September 17th, 2005, 01:05 PM
UConn is the team they're afraid of.

The Huskies have a new $88 Million stadium. They sell out.

They have MUCH more resources than BC.

Maybe BC will draw better now that they're in the ACC, but who knows. If they end up in a battle with Duke and Wake for the bottom of the league things could get ugly. :)

GSU Eagle
September 17th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I see some Northeastern fans have the attitude vs. BC as some of our Eagle fans have vs. UGA.

Husky Alum
September 17th, 2005, 01:21 PM
UMass74, you'll appreciate this quote from DeFillippo.

He was asked in the interview how season ticket sales were going and he said "We have 38,700 season ticket holders." The interviewers didn't believe him so they said "Really, Gene, your stadium only holds about 45,000, and you've said you give each ACC team 4,500 tickets for their games in Boston, so you're saying tickets must be hard to get for the Ball State game, right??"

Silence on the radio.

DeFilippo comes back and says "The 38,700 includes our student season tickets, and we required a season ticket purchase for football if you wanted to go to the Florida State game." Then he said "we're sold out for basketball hockey as well because we required season ticket purchase for basketball AND hockey if you wanted tickets to see Duke and UNC basketball in Boston the next two seasons."

Good marketing for BC, but they're still slimy out there.

mainejeff
September 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Anyone watching the BC/Florida State game tonight?

Husky Alum
September 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Northeastern-Villanova will be on the primary screen at Casa NUHF, and the Tennesee-Florida game will be on picture in picture.

Is there a football game in Boston tonight? I thought the only sporting event in town tonight is the Sox-A's game.

I never thought I'd say this but GO 'NOLES.

Umass74
September 17th, 2005, 01:33 PM
GSU Eagle:

We ALL hate BC :)

A couple of years ago Northeastern played BC and they really make them sweat.

It would have been great if they won!

Husky Alum
September 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Here's the skinny on that NU-BC game.

NU was down 20-14 at the half and was driving in the 3rd quarter (Still down 20-14) and an NU player was open down the sideline and was tackled by the BC defender, and the ball landed about 2 feet in front of the mess. The refs didn't throw a flag and announced (as the replay is being showon on the video board) that "there will be no flag on the play as the pass was uncatchable."

Chuckles from the BC fans, and the NU fans nearly rioted.

NU then drops back to punt, kick is blocked, and run back for a TD by BC to make the score 26-14.

BC kicks off to NU, drives to BC's 32 and is stopped on downs. NU stops BC, BC punts and NU's first play BC intercepts a pass and runs it back for a TD.

BC 33-14.

NU then scores and completes the conversion to make the score 33-22.

A couple series later William Pothead Green fumbles, and NU is driving for a score inside the BC 40 when their LB creams our wide receiver downfield well before the ball reaches the two of them, intercepts the ball - game over.

Suffice to say, BC claimed it would be a long time before they played us again.

If my memory serves me well, you guys gave them a pretty good game last year.

If you remember, the week after we played BC, you guys smoked us 77-0.

Umass74
September 17th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Husky Alum:

Forgive us on that 77-0 thing. The Huskies turned the ball over eight times that day (all on your side of the field).

It looked like Northeastern had left it all on the Heights.

P.S. I was at the UMass game when they announced the 20-14 halftime score and the UMass crowd cheered :)

Husky Alum
September 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM
No, thank you for beating us 77-0.

That was the nail in Barry Gallup's coffin (he never really "left" BC) which led to us hiring Don Brown.

I could slam Barry, but after what happened to his son, it's hard to besmirch the guy. I wish his younger son luck at Notre Dame

The rest is well, part of the NU-UMass rivalry.

ccd494
September 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM
GSU Eagle:

We ALL hate BC :)

I know as a Maine fan, I'm supposed to hate UNH or BU, but god, I really really really really hate BC. I can even root for UNH, BU, etc to win a game. But there are many painful things that I would consider having inflicted upon myself before choosing a BC victory over anyone, be it Florida State or Bunker Hill Community College.

Umass74
September 17th, 2005, 03:01 PM
But there are many painful things that I would consider having inflicted upon myself before choosing a BC victory over anyone, be it Florida State or Bunker Hill Community College.

CCd:

That one made me chuckle. Good one :nod:

JMG1MON
September 17th, 2005, 07:11 PM
BCU deserves everything they get in the ACC. Great start to their ACC season. INT's on their 1st 2 possessions. It is going to be fun to watch them struggle in the ACC!!!!!!

WildcatFan
September 18th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Too funny that everyone hates BC - feeling is mutual. Just had to say - what about UNH - New Hampshire is in New England. Must admit I route for anyone playing against BC.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 18th, 2005, 11:26 PM
What a crock!! BC wants to be New England's I-A team? Then why join the Tobacco Road ACC???? You bolt the Northeast's only I-A league and want to be New England's team??

Personally, I'll remain loyal to I-AA and could give a rat's arse what BC or UConn do.