PDA

View Full Version : Largest Schools Without Div. I Football

DFW HOYA
December 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
With South Alabama, Charlotte and Georgia State looking to join the ranks soon, here is a list of the ten largest Div. I schools not playing football:

1. Cal State-Fullerton (37,130 students, former I-A school)
2. Cal State-Long Beach (36,870, former I-A school)
3. Virginia Commonwealth (31,907)
4. George Mason (29,889, has a club team)
5. IUPU-Indianapolis (29,765)
6. Wisconsin-Milwaukee (29,205, has a club team)
7. Boston University (27,427, former I-AA school)
8. Cal-Irvine (25,220)
9. Texas-Arlington (24,825, former I-AA school)
10. George Washington (24,531, former I-A school)

Any others that should be on this list?

Appaholic
December 26th, 2007, 02:50 PM
With South Alabama, Charlotte and Georgia State looking to join the ranks soon, here is a list of the ten largest Div. I schools not playing football:

8. Cal-Irvine (25,220)

Duke....North Carolina

Appinator
December 26th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Duke....North Carolina

HA well played senator

LBPop
December 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I congratulate you on your self-control by not naming Michigan.xnodx xlolx

TrueBlueHen
December 26th, 2007, 03:59 PM
The bottem half of the MAC!

slycat
December 26th, 2007, 04:23 PM
utsa has 25000 - 30000 students and no football.....yet.

UCAMonkey
December 26th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Phoenix University 108,000 plus. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
December 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Phoenix University 108,000 plus. xthumbsupx

And a stadium to boot!

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/calendar/venues/pics/cardsstadium.jpg

mrklean
December 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Georgia State University

RadMann
December 26th, 2007, 05:05 PM
State University of New York at Binghamton - 14,000

ERASU2113
December 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Duke....North Carolina

xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

D1scout
December 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM

Include the bottom third of the Big Ten along with the bottom fourth of most conferences!xlolx

terrierbob
December 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Kennesaw State U. (GA) 20,603

Cobblestone
December 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Saint Louis University: 12,000 students. I believe they once had a D-I football program.

401ks
December 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM

8. Cal-Irvine (25,220)

Three of these schools are within a 20 minute drive from my home! :(

RadMann
December 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM
University of Vermont - 9 to 10K undergrads.

Cobblestone
December 26th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Someone needs to tell the Presidents of these universities that they are supposed to build a university that the football team can be proud of.

BDK@YSU
December 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Cal State Northridge - 26,854 undergrads

ngineer
December 26th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I believe Wayne State University in Detroit is a pretty good size school, albeit the great majority of students are commuters..but I thought their enrollment was well over 20,000...xconfusedx

401ks
December 26th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Okay, that makes FOUR that are less than one hour away. :(

BDK@YSU
December 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Someone needs to tell the Presidents of these universities that they are supposed to build a university that the football team can be proud of.

Things may have been different had it not been for the Title IX football program guillotine.

...and student apathy, but that's a different story.

edit: I see what you did there...

<= DUMB

ngineer
December 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I believe Wayne State University in Detroit is a pretty good size school, albeit the great majority of students are commuters..but I thought their enrollment was well over 20,000...xconfusedx

I followed up my speculation and checked out Wayne State's website. They are Division II football and have an enrollment of over 33,000! So they're definitely in the top tier of large schools w/o D-I football.

GOTOREROS
December 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM
How about UC San Diego? It's a great school and part of the great UC system in California, but somehow they haven't made it past DII.....someone over there must hate athletics on that campus....

crunifan
December 26th, 2007, 09:58 PM
It's hard to believe that so many of these schools are so much bigger than the University of Iowa (30,000) or Iowa State University (28,000) let alone UNI (12,000) yet have no where near the athletic resources or facilities.

ucdtim17
December 26th, 2007, 11:51 PM
UCSD has 26,000 students

GoAgs72
December 27th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Cal-Irvine is really UC Irvine, part of same system as UC Davis, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Riverside, UC Merced, UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, UC San Francisco and UC Berkeley (the only one called Cal anything).

Pauly LB
December 27th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Cal State Fullerton football was discontinued in 1992 as a result of title nine which also resulted in the discontinuation of many other football programs in the state of California.

Over the past few month there has been a grass-roots campaign to bring back football to Cal State Fullerton. As of now they are in the signature collecting phase.

Attached is the address with details...
http://www.tailgatingideas.com/2007/11/09/bring-back-titan-football/

mvemjsunpx
December 27th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Things may have been different had it not been for the Title IX football program guillotine.

...and student apathy, but that's a different story.

edit: I see what you did there...

<= DUMB

Hey, don't blame Title-IX. Most (if not all) of these football programs were likely hemorrhaging money. If they were making money, something else would have been cut.

There are a lot of schools out there that have football & probably shouldn't.

mvemjsunpx
December 27th, 2007, 01:41 AM
UCSD has 26,000 students

Are they the largest non-DI school (not counting Phoenix Online, of course)?

DuckDuckGriz
December 27th, 2007, 01:42 AM

This is true. They are a former Big Sky member that left in 2000. Good riddance.

Hoyadestroya85
December 27th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Yeah but title ix made football even more expensive..
63 extra scholarships to account for.. at some schools that's over a million dollars

TheBisonator
December 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Wayne State (MI) is the largest at over 33,000 students. They're DII.

Mich Griz
December 27th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Wayne State is 35000 undergrads over 40000 total

FCS Preview
December 27th, 2007, 05:48 AM
I followed up my speculation and checked out Wayne State's website. They are Division II football and have an enrollment of over 33,000! So they're definitely in the top tier of large schools w/o D-I football.

But the original question was largest D-I schools w/o football, not largest schools w/o D-I football. They're not D-I.

DFW HOYA
December 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM

That would be New York University at 40,870. NYU was a major college football team through the 1940's and was one of three schools (along with Georgetown and Fordham) who kicked off what is known today as non-scholarship football in 1964.

NYU's football program was dropped in 1966 shortly before it sold its Bronxville campus and dropped out of Division I basketball entirely, having played its home games at Madision Square Garden. (It was in the Final Four in 1960 and the round of 16 as late as 1963.)

But as for Division I schools, there are a lot of worthy candidates out there. A large enrollment helps, but you don't have to have 20,000 students out there to compete and excel...but it helps, of course.

andy7171
December 27th, 2007, 10:29 AM
University of Maryland Baltimore County(UMBC) has about 15,000 students and no football team. They have a really nice stadium they use for lacrosse and soccer.

spelunker64
December 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM

and the top...

danefan
December 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM
University of Maryland Baltimore County(UMBC) has about 15,000 students and no football team. They have a really nice stadium they use for lacrosse and soccer.

UMBC stadium seats about 4500. Built for lacrosse. Would they be interested if the AEast ever got their heads out of their a$$es

http://www.umbcretrievers.com/info/facilities/images/stadium2.jpg

Monarch History
December 27th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Old Dominion University (23,000) has been without football since 1940. We will play our first game in August 2009.xthumbsupx

andy7171
December 27th, 2007, 11:33 AM
UMBC stadium seats about 4500. Built for lacrosse. Would they be interested if the AEast ever got their heads out of their a$$es

http://www.umbcretrievers.com/info/facilities/images/stadium2.jpg

I have heard them talk of starting up a football program. If AE does got to football, I think they would seriously consider it. Though UMBC is MUCH more of a commuter school than Towson.

UAalum72
December 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Don't count on UMBC, after this post last summer by Retriever fan 'ball of rubber' on the America East forum:

"It happened two years ago. A donor approached the school and offered enough money to run a football program and keep the school Title IX compliant (remember, we just cut field hockey last fall). The athletic directors were about to jump all over the chance, and the Board of Regents was ok with it. The problem was the school's president, Freeman Hrabowski III. Yes, he's done wonders for the school academically, and yes, it is a highly sought after school in the state. But his exact words to the donor was "I do not want football in my school."

Now, when I heard this two years ago, I kind of rolled my eyes, shook my head and said that I wasn't surprised. I mean seriously, an alum with alot of money putting it toward a I-AA football team, and having that last? I didn't think of it much at the time.

It wasn't until recently when I found out who it was (from several high sources), and it made me furious. 'Twas the Ravens, and they wanted to move their pre-season training camp to UMBC, and fully fund a new football team. For how long? I don't know. But think about it...a fully funded I-AA football program with NFL (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/l) money, which probably would have been the best chance that the AE could get it's own football league. HOW COULD WE TURN DOWN THAT CHANCE?!?!?!

Was I surprised then? No. Am I surprised now, especially now that I know who the donor was? Still no. Hrabowski has prided this school more on not having a football team than the academics, the opportunities toward minorities (especially in Baltimore) and the chess team with it's Duke-UNC-like rivalry with Texas-Dallas. And he's a young guy, too, he'll be around for a while, and has said that as long as he's there, there will be no football. In his defense, he has shown support toward the other teams, he made the trip to Hartford in March, and he sat two rows below me at Byrd Stadium in the first round of the lacrosse tournament. But...turning away NFL money in a sense of ego.."

However, on the plus side, UMBC's co-ed flag football team is heading to the National Championships in Dallas next month
http://www.umbc.edu/window/flag_football.html

CollegeSportsInfo
December 27th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Cal State Fullerton football was discontinued in 1992 as a result of title nine which also resulted in the discontinuation of many other football programs in the state of California.

Over the past few month there has been a grass-roots campaign to bring back football to Cal State Fullerton. As of now they are in the signature collecting phase.

Attached is the address with details...
http://www.tailgatingideas.com/2007/11/09/bring-back-titan-football/

More about...
State of Football in the State of California (http://collegesportsinfo.com/blog/2007/11/college-football-in-california.html)

Pauly LB
December 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM
More about...
State of Football in the State of California (http://collegesportsinfo.com/blog/2007/11/college-football-in-california.html)

Unfortunately the article is not available thru the link any more. If possible could you copy and paste the article in a post.

Thanks...

andy7171
December 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Don't count on UMBC, after this post last summer by Retriever fan 'ball of rubber' on the America East forum:

"It happened two years ago. A donor approached the school and offered enough money to run a football program and keep the school Title IX compliant (remember, we just cut field hockey last fall). The athletic directors were about to jump all over the chance, and the Board of Regents was ok with it. The problem was the school's president, Freeman Hrabowski III. Yes, he's done wonders for the school academically, and yes, it is a highly sought after school in the state. But his exact words to the donor was "I do not want football in my school."

Now, when I heard this two years ago, I kind of rolled my eyes, shook my head and said that I wasn't surprised. I mean seriously, an alum with alot of money putting it toward a I-AA football team, and having that last? I didn't think of it much at the time.

It wasn't until recently when I found out who it was (from several high sources), and it made me furious. 'Twas the Ravens, and they wanted to move their pre-season training camp to UMBC, and fully fund a new football team. For how long? I don't know. But think about it...a fully funded I-AA football program with NFL (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/l) money, which probably would have been the best chance that the AE could get it's own football league. HOW COULD WE TURN DOWN THAT CHANCE?!?!?!

Was I surprised then? No. Am I surprised now, especially now that I know who the donor was? Still no. Hrabowski has prided this school more on not having a football team than the academics, the opportunities toward minorities (especially in Baltimore) and the chess team with it's Duke-UNC-like rivalry with Texas-Dallas. And he's a young guy, too, he'll be around for a while, and has said that as long as he's there, there will be no football. In his defense, he has shown support toward the other teams, he made the trip to Hartford in March, and he sat two rows below me at Byrd Stadium in the first round of the lacrosse tournament. But...turning away NFL money in a sense of ego.."

However, on the plus side, UMBC's co-ed flag football team is heading to the National Championships in Dallas next month

Well that sucks eggs. UMBC is literally 2-3 miles from my house, not that I'm all that broken up by it. My loyalties lie 15 miles around the beltway in Towson. I can't imagine myslef going to a UMBC game over a Towson one. Although they might be a more competitive local rival than Morgan State has proven to be. Towson-UMBC lacrosse is always a heated game.

UCAMonkey
December 27th, 2007, 01:52 PM
UALR has over 10k students
UT Pan American about 20k students

SactoHornetFan
December 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Someone needs to tell that idiot that it isn't "his school." xmadx
It belongs to the State of Maryland

OB55
December 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Grand Valley State (Michigan) has over 22,000 students, participates in D-II

UCAMonkey
December 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Loyola Maramount 9,000
U New Orleans 12,000
UMKC over 14,000
Wright St 17,000
Oakland 18,000

ASUG8
December 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
UNC-Charlotte - 22K students, now voting on football

http://charlotte49erfootball.webkingpins.com/media/UNC_Charlotte_students_vote_on_football.pdf

http://media.www.nineronline.com/media/storage/paper971/news/2007/02/25/News/Football.Poll.Results.Announced-2743329.shtml

Word is they want to go FBS immediately - I have no idea what conference so far.

UCAMonkey
December 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM

http://charlotte49erfootball.webkingpins.com/media/UNC_Charlotte_students_vote_on_football.pdf

http://media.www.nineronline.com/media/storage/paper971/news/2007/02/25/News/Football.Poll.Results.Announced-2743329.shtml

Word is they want to go FBS immediately - I have no idea what conference so far.

Back to CUSA?

danefan
December 27th, 2007, 04:36 PM

See for a large thread on UNCC's vote:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35191

wapiti
December 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM
How about DeVry? :p

I'm not sure how many students attend there.

Not sure which campus they would have the games at either? xsmiley_wix

It's dizzying to think about all the possibilities? xrotatehx xrotatehx

xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx

UCAMonkey
December 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM
How about DeVry? :p

I'm not sure how many students attend there.

Not sure which campus they would have the games at either? xsmiley_wix

It's dizzying to think about all the possibilities? xrotatehx xrotatehx

xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx

ITT

Herdman
December 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM
nm

UCAMonkey
December 29th, 2007, 09:18 AM
IPFW 12,000
ETSU 12,000
UT Dallas 14,500 D3-No football.

santosballnewhampshire
December 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I agree w/ uvm...... I bought the shirt that says.... UVM football undefeated since 1972

MplsBison
December 31st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Wayne State (MI) is the largest at over 33,000 students. They're DII.

They play DI hockey.

Seahawks Fan
January 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
In New York City:

NYU 50,000
CCNY 13,000

HIU 93
January 2nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Grand Valley State- 20,000

Ivytalk
January 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
In New York City:

NYU 50,000
CCNY 13,000

Aren't the attendance figures the other way around? Either way, good picks!xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
January 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
In New York City:

NYU 50,000
CCNY 13,000

The City University of New York system which consists of CCNY, Queens College and others has 220,000 students at various locations around the City

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_University_of_New_York

D1scout
January 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hey, don't blame Title-IX. Most (if not all) of these football programs were likely hemorrhaging money. If they were making money, something else would have been cut.

There are a lot of schools out there that have football & probably shouldn't.

And what Title IX Girls programs replaced football that are making money? Most of these colleges that dropped football programs already had Girls BB and most of those Girls BB programs, if not all, weren't making $$ at the time.:)

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 04:37 AM
That so many of the schools are in California and so many had football legacies is bothersome, particularly when there is a valid model, the Pioneer Model being used by San Diego and being adopted by new football-playing colleges like stetson and cambell (http://collegefootballpoll.com/news_2011_0622_colleges_continue_to_add_football_t eams.html), is very disconcerting. There is a way to do it and it is being done elsewhere.

DetroitFlyer
August 30th, 2011, 07:04 AM
That so many of the schools are in California and so many had football legacies is bothersome, particularly when there is a valid model, the Pioneer Model being used by San Diego and being adopted by new football-playing colleges like stetson and cambell (http://collegefootballpoll.com/news_2011_0622_colleges_continue_to_add_football_t eams.html), is very disconcerting. There is a way to do it and it is being done elsewhere.

They are probably waiting for the PFL to obtain an autobid to the FCS playoffs....

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 07:07 AM
They are probably waiting for the PFL to obtain an autobid to the FCS playoffs....

the ideal would be seeing a western break-off of the PFL with a enough teams in the far west following the model to make that possible.. but even one more companion to San Diego would make it all that much easier, both for the Toreros and for any future start-up teams

Model Citizen
August 30th, 2011, 07:35 AM
DePaul 25,072

http://newsroom.depaul.edu/NewsReleases/showNews.aspx?NID=2116

frozennorth
August 30th, 2011, 01:44 PM
University of chicago has 16k and can rejoin the big ten whenever it wants, I would assume.

GSUhooligan
August 30th, 2011, 02:00 PM
http://forums.trinituner.com/upload/data/04/holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg

appfan2008
August 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM
http://forums.trinituner.com/upload/data/04/holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg

and he ressurects another!

UCMoc
August 30th, 2011, 02:08 PM
College of Charleston has been too busy winning SOCON basketball tourneys to start a football team (and they are just over 10K).

insideout08
August 30th, 2011, 02:20 PM
College of Charleston has been too busy winning SOCON basketball tourneys to start a football team (and they are just over 10K).

One win in 13 years of trying doesn't seem like too much to me.

apaladin
August 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM

...and the only time they did win it was 1999, 12 years ago!

UCMoc
August 30th, 2011, 02:46 PM

How dare we ask them to redeem the lowly SoCon and then question the manner in which they do it.