PDA

View Full Version : ESPN giving no love to I-AA

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Just the tone of the SHSU@TT preview is bad for I-AA. Look at the freaking title. :mad:

Also, the whole story is about TT. There are two teams playing in the game, or don't they know that?

Sam Houston State another tuneup for Texas Tech, Hodges

Sam Houston St (1-1) at No. 19 Texas Tech (1-0) 7:00 pm EDT

LUBBOCK, Texas (Ticker) - After an impressive debut, Texas Tech quarterback Cody Hodges should pick up right where he left off Saturday against Division I-AA Sam Houston State.

A senior making his first career start, Hodges passed for four touchdowns and ran for another as No. 19 Texas Tech opened its season with a 56-3 victory over Division I-A newcomer Florida International.

Hodges, who had thrown just 12 passes entering this season, completed 19-of-26 for 290 yards in the first 30 minutes alone and 29-of-37 for 454 yards overall.

Taurean Henderson rushed eight times for 67 yards and a first-quarter touchdown and added 62 yards on three receptions for Texas Tech, which has won five of its last six openers. Henderson needs 23 more receptions to match the NCAA running back record of 262 set by Long Beach State's Mark Templeton from 1984-87.

Sam Houston State (1-1), which plays in the Southland Conference and advanced to the I-AA semifinals last season, is 2-18 against I-A teams since 1987. That includes last week's 31-10 loss at Houston.

The Bearkats (1-1) are ranked 23rd in Division I-AA. They opened the season with a 77-7 victory over Bacone.

This is the first meeting between the schools.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=252602641

Ronbo
September 16th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Well when you were in High School and you were a senior following the Varsity team did you give the JV any love? Same difference.

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Well when you were in High School and you were a senior following the Varsity team did you give the JV any love? Same difference.

Just pointing out the lack of coverage and respect for I-AA by the "World wide leader in SPORTS"

Last time I checked I-AA was still football, still a sport.

bkrownd
September 16th, 2005, 07:53 PM
The bigger school always gets more/better press. Stop crying about it like a spoiled kid.

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2005, 07:54 PM
The bigger school always gets more/better press. Stop crying about it like a spoiled kid.

Way to get personal. I am not whining just making an observation.

catbob
September 16th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Were you giving love to Bacone college?

I can see you being tweaked if they were a midlevel IA squad, but they are ranked #19th and I don't think anyone, IA or IAA wouldn't say about the same thing ESPN said.

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2005, 08:06 PM

I can see you being tweaked if they were a midlevel IA squad, but they are ranked #19th and I don't think anyone, IA or IAA wouldn't say about the same thing ESPN said.

Actually yea, http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/09/16/sports/bearkat_news/sports45.txt

Good things were said about the team in stories and by other Bearkat faithful.

Geez people, JUST AN OBSERVATION, not a complaint.

SuperJon
September 16th, 2005, 08:40 PM
The only time I-AA will get any good coverage is during the playoffs. The same can be said for D-2.

You called them out for being the Worldwide Leader In Sports? If that's the case, they should be showing D-3 women's soccer. I'll stick with watching the I-A stuff on ESPN. I-AA can be shown on ESPNU but ESPN's for the big boys.

Retro
September 16th, 2005, 08:56 PM
That story is really not done by ESPN.. It's a news wire story from the sportsticker used by espn for their game preview.. The story was probably written and released by the Texas Tech sports dept or by a lubbock newspaper..

Dallas Demon
September 16th, 2005, 09:06 PM

The Dallas Morning News today, in reporting about Oklahoma State's game tomorrow, indicated that Oklahoma State had NOT been tested so far this season. They definitely missed the mark on that one.

BCisforBobcatTX
September 16th, 2005, 11:07 PM
The Dallas Morning News today, in reporting about Oklahoma State's game tomorrow, indicated that Oklahoma State had NOT been tested so far this season. They definitely missed the mark on that one.

Haha, only pulling out a five point win over a "lowly I-AA team"....yea, no test there...

biobengal
September 17th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Bobcat, I found this gem from this months Sports Illustrated: "Kentucky's 41-29 win over PUSHOVER Idaho State gave Wildcats plenty to get excited about. Well, at least the guys." This comment was in reference to the story many of you have heard about Kitten and the billboard. You know, they win, she loses.

Tod
September 17th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Just pointing out the lack of coverage and respect for I-AA by the "World wide leader in SPORTS"

Last time I checked I-AA was still football, still a sport.

I'm not picking on you blackfordpu, but I thing "world-wide leader in sports" was from ABC's Wide World of Sports, kind of a long time ago (or so it seems to me).

:) :) :(

But I see your point. I hope you kill them... :anim_chai

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I expect them to treat IAA the same way we treat division II: I don't expect them to give equal press coverage to all divisions but they always seem to assume that the bottom is IA is over the top of IAA, which we all know is not the case. I don't automatically assume a IAA team is going to beat a DII team, and I don't think any of us do that either. That's what makes us more knowledgeable than all the talking head analysts and columnists who always thinks IA versus IAA is a practice game for the IA and a profit for the IAA.

blackfordpu
September 17th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I'm not picking on you blackfordpu, but I thing "world-wide leader in sports" was from ABC's Wide World of Sports, kind of a long time ago (or so it seems to me).

:) :) :(

But I see your point. I hope you kill them... :anim_chai

No, they say that slogan on TV from time to time. If it was from that ABC thing I probably would not remember it or would have never seen it. :)

bluehenbillk
September 17th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Texas Tech is going to DRILL Sam Houston, don't get on ESPN over that. If Sam Houston stays within 40 call it a moral victory.

foghorn
September 17th, 2005, 09:42 AM
:( It won't be long when ALL non-BCS schools (Div. I-A, as well as I-AA) will take a back seat to the media and become 'second class citizens'. BCS controls the networks. That's just the way it is, guys. :mad: Go Hens!

bkrownd
September 17th, 2005, 10:24 AM
It ain't over until the fat lineman dumps the Gatorade on the coach.

rcny46
September 17th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Way to get personal. I am not whining just making an observation.

Don't pay any attention to him.If he can't see the valid point you are trying to make,it's his problem.Some people are just looking for an argument.Good luck on saturday.