PDA

View Full Version : Sick and tired of the local media.

SU Jag
December 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Man I am so sick of the local media here in Birmingham. Its sickening. I went out to the PapaJohns.com Bowl yesterday and I was very disappointed. All I heard all week was how the city needs to rally around this game, WTF!?!?! Where was this rally cry last week for the SWAC Championship game? Where was it for the FAMU/Southern game, where was it for the Miles/Tuskegee game, where in the hell was it for the Magic City Classic? Only about 35,000 made it out for the game, so they sayxrolleyesx Last year only 28,000 and some chance made it out after they first said that over 36,000 was there. All week the media has hyped over this game, and no kids from this area are on either roster. Rumor was that over 51,000 tickets were sold, BS. I'm down right pissed off on how the media treats the HBCUs here. The HBCU events bring more money and more fans than any UAB game, or any other events at Legion Feild but we get now media attention and the city is largely an HBCU town. Tennessee State, Jackson State, Grambling, Alcorn, SC State, FAMU, Southern, and Hampton have large alumni bases here. I just dont get it. There were maybe a total of 10 RVs at the game yesterday, compared to RVs as far as the eye could see for HBCU events. After the game the stadium aree cleared out compared to a party area like the HBCU events. I'm sick and tired of the HBCUs taking a backseat here in Birmingham.

Cleets
December 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
You should write then a nice (and very clear) letter explaining how odd their fascination is with the wrong games... and explain to them what they are missing...

just my 2 cents :D

dbackjon
December 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Not just HBCU's take a back seat to FBS bowls - any FCS games do.

mvemjsunpx
December 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Man I am so sick of the local media here in Birmingham. Its sickening. I went out to the PapaJohns.com Bowl yesterday and I was very disappointed. All I heard all week was how the city needs to rally around this game, WTF!?!?! Where was this rally cry last week for the SWAC Championship game? Where was it for the FAMU/Southern game, where was it for the Miles/Tuskegee game, where in the hell was it for the Magic City Classic? Only about 35,000 made it out for the game, so they sayxrolleyesx Last year only 28,000 and some chance made it out after they first said that over 36,000 was there. All week the media has hyped over this game, and no kids from this area are on either roster. Rumor was that over 51,000 tickets were sold, BS. I'm down right pissed off on how the media treats the HBCUs here. The HBCU events bring more money and more fans than any UAB game, or any other events at Legion Feild but we get now media attention and the city is largely an HBCU town. Tennessee State, Jackson State, Grambling, Alcorn, SC State, FAMU, Southern, and Hampton have large alumni bases here. I just dont get it. There were maybe a total of 10 RVs at the game yesterday, compared to RVs as far as the eye could see for HBCU events. After the game the stadium aree cleared out compared to a party area like the HBCU events. I'm sick and tired of the HBCUs taking a backseat here in Birmingham.

But how could the people of Brimingham not rally around the Arbitrary Corporate Sponsorship Bowl!?

Seawolf97
December 23rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Try playing in the Northeast- every weekend is like that duting football seasonxnonono2x

Dblue
December 23rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Should have promoted better.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_aXwvjOCyM24/RxXvJdLyx2I/AAAAAAAADlw/z_MrAOB7XnI/s400/SU+Dolls+101707.jpg

Sorry, stolen from the smack threadxrolleyesx

Jerbearasu
December 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
I have always loved the pride the HBCU's demonstrate. Being from North Carolina the CIAA b-ball tourney has always been a huge deal and I am glad Charlotte has hosted the past few years because HBCU's alumni do come out in droves. I was in a state student government group when I was at App and the most vocal and really fun people to be around were the kids from NC A&T, WSSU and NCCU... I can't believe that there has not been more support around your area because they are seriously missing out on $$$ from this group!

SU Jag
December 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
You should write then a nice (and very clear) letter explaining how odd their fascination is with the wrong games... and explain to them what they are missing...

just my 2 cents :D

I did that today. I was at the game with a few of my friends who played at Alabama State and the fans from Cincy struck up a conversation with me about FCS football(I was wearing my 2003 SWAC/Black College Football Championship Leterman Jacket). The guys were talking about App. State and the SoCon and HBCU football. They were talking about the fans that showed up for the Championship game a week earlier. Now if guys from Ohio know how important HBCU/FCS football is, shouldnt the local media.

OhioHen
December 26th, 2007, 06:02 AM
I did that today. I was at the game with a few of my friends who played at Alabama State and the fans from Cincy struck up a conversation with me about FCS football(I was wearing my 2003 SWAC/Black College Football Championship Leterman Jacket). The guys were talking about App. State and the SoCon and HBCU football. They were talking about the fans that showed up for the Championship game a week earlier. Now if guys from Ohio know how important HBCU/FCS football is, shouldnt the local media.

Kudos to SU Jag for attending the LESSER game as well as the Championship. xthumbsupx

And props to my fellow Ohioans for their knowledge of real football.

93henfan
December 26th, 2007, 06:31 AM
You could also see the glass being half full in that the SWAC Chamionship did not need the hype to draw a big crowd and a great atmosphere, while the Random Corporate Sponsored FBS Bowl needed a media begging session to contrive interest and even then failed to deliver.

jstate83
December 26th, 2007, 10:40 AM

xwhistlex xwhistlex
If it's not Alabama playing, B-ham/Alabama is never going to openly support any game held there.

The SWAC Championship works cause just like any other BIG SWAC game, the fan's are going to come anyway despite the non-backing of the local's.

I alway's said that just because it's free, don't mean B-Ham is the best place for the game.
I also know that Memphis is not a SWAC city but I'll gurantee you that city would roll out the red carpet in the same manner they do for the SHC between Tenn St. and JSU if it was played there.xnodx

The job they have done with the SHC the last 2 decades is second to none.
That's why that game pack's the Liberty Bowl and Memphis every year.

catamount man
December 26th, 2007, 01:40 PM
The pride, pageantry, atmosphere, and passion of a HBCU game is 2nd only to Army-Navy IMO and it's a shame it isn't supported more.

I will NEVER forget the lone time Johnson C. Smith came to Cullowhee back in 2003. We beat them 45-0 but their fans and band put us to shame.xeekx xeekx

I couldn't imagine having that band every Saturday! Now while the POTM is a good band in their own right, the pale in comparison to any HBCU band.

HBCU is good stuff.xthumbsupx

SU Jag
December 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM
xwhistlex xwhistlex
If it's not Alabama playing, B-ham/Alabama is never going to openly support any game held there.

The SWAC Championship works cause just like any other BIG SWAC game, the fan's are going to come anyway despite the non-backing of the local's.

I alway's said that just because it's free, don't mean B-Ham is the best place for the game.
I also know that Memphis is not a SWAC city but I'll gurantee you that city would roll out the red carpet in the same manner they do for the SHC between Tenn St. and JSU if it was played there.xnodx

The job they have done with the SHC the last 2 decades is second to none.
That's why that game pack's the Liberty Bowl and Memphis every year.

Great point!xnodx