PDA

View Full Version : SI gives 'props' to 'I-AA'

ngineer
December 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
This week's issue contains a very nice article on what 'college football should be all about'---the FCS version of college football. While relapsing into the I-AA nomenclature, the article notes those big stars of today's NFL who came out of I-AA as well as focusing on the level of football that has it's priorities straight. ASU HC Moore is also interviewed..xthumbsupx

UAalum72
December 22nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Article by Pablo S. Torre.

"So raise your jars to the Mountaineers' dynasty, and for that matter, all of the horribly named but genuinely inspiring Football Championship Subdivision."

His only slip was "What drives the FCS is hundreds of players who,...slipped through the cracks of the Division I recruiting machine" unless he thinks FCS is D-I but not part of the machine.

FCS Preview
December 22nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Article by Pablo S. Torre.

"So raise your jars to the Mountaineers' dynasty, and for that matter, all of the horribly named but genuinely inspiring Football Championship Subdivision."

His only slip was "What drives the FCS is hundreds of players who,...slipped through the cracks of the Division I recruiting machine" unless he thinks FCS is D-I but not part of the machine.

Yeah I saw that and sent them an e-mail earlier this week.

Dear SI,

Thanks for a good article on the FCS National Championship between Appalachian State and Delaware. Although it would have been better as a regular article, rather than slipped into the "Players" section, it was still a nice article. Just one major complaint. The author stated: "...hundreds of players who, for one reason or another, slipped through the cracks of the Division I recruiting machine..."

Division I football is broken into two parts -- FBS (formerly I-A) and FCS (formerly I-AA).

Both are considered Division I.

Appalachian State, Delaware, Northern Iowa, Columbia, Prairie View and Dayton are all considered Division I football programs, just like Notre Dame, USC, Michigan and Navy. There are many of us who prefer the FCS game over the FBS one, if simply for the chance to decide the champion on the field, through a playoff, rather than a system of archaic bowls and polls. This year, the No 5 team played the No 13 team for the title, without controversy. Could you imagine that in the FBS? I can't.

So thanks for the article, but please remember in the future -- we're Division I, too.

Sincerely,

Their response:

Thank you for the letter and correction. We will note it and share your comments with the senior editing staff.

Sincerely,
Linda Verigan, Director
SI Letters Department

ngineer
December 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Excellent letter to SI!xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
December 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Funny - watched Brandon Jacobs ( Southern Illinois) plow through the Buffalo Bills defense for 2 TD's this afternoon. He is big enough to play to defensive end-let alone running back. Wait until Wagners field goal kicker shows up in the NFL in 2008!