PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Conferences

HenHouse1
September 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM
What do you think is the best I-AA conference? The worst? Underrated? Overrated?

Hansel
September 16th, 2005, 01:16 PM
this should be interesting....

henfan
September 16th, 2005, 01:23 PM
What do you think is the best I-AA conference? The worst? Underrated? Overrated?

The Yankee, Gulf States and Mid-Continent Conferences, by far. ;)

OL FU
September 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I refuse to answer on the grounds there are way to many A-10 posters on this board. :p

saint0917
September 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM
A-10 The Best
Northeast,and MAAC The Worst
MEAC, Underrated
Big Sky, Overrated, You have Montana, Montana St. And Eastern Washington, the rest are bottom feeders.

saint0917
September 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I refuse to answer on the grounds there are way to many A-10 posters on this board. :p

It's O.K. you can say it, The A-10 Is The Best

rabidsaluki
September 16th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Under the advice of council and my rights under the 5th Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, I decline to answer at this time.

dbackjon
September 16th, 2005, 01:45 PM
A-10 The Best
MEAC, Underrated
Big Sky, Overrated, You have Montana, Montana St. And Eastern Washington, the rest are bottom feeders.

Right......Idaho State, NAU, Portland St.....yeah, all look like bottom feeders to me :rolleyes:

BBB
September 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM
A-10 The Best
MEAC, Underrated

MEAC underrated? I disagree and not because I think we're a better conference.

True our top teams can play with anybody BUT, our bottom teams can't even beat d2 schools. To add on to that our top teams sometimes slip up and lose to those schools.

I want to say we're improving and in ways we are. Heck a few years ago, our top team couldn't touch a team in the A-10 our Southern. But, now we can compete with the top teams (our top schools) in other conferences.

The MEAC is getting there but we have a ways to go.

I have to say the A-10 is the best.

I won't say who's the worst.

Pard94
September 16th, 2005, 01:55 PM
This post is like The Red October in that it can serve only one purpose. :eek:

Let's save a lot of time...on this board it goes as follows:

Best Conference: A-10
Most Underated: A-10
Worst Conference: Everyone else
Most overated: Everyone else

There...that was easy.

UNH 1999
September 16th, 2005, 03:40 PM
MEAC underrated? I don't think so.

One of their schools, Morgan State lost to DII Bowie State last night 35-21. I watched the first two quarters and Morgan State looked like a bad high school team.

As for the best? A-10 of course!!!

Go 'Cats!

:D

WYOBISONMAN
September 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM
How about I don't say anything.......and the NDSU Bison just play football.....afterall a picture is worth 1000 words....... :D

Lumberjacks76
September 16th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Best Conference: The A-10
Worst Conference: Ivy League
Most Underrated: The Big Sky

I don't see how the rest of the Big Sky Conference teams (like Idaho State, NAU and Portland State) are bottom feeders. Yeah, Sacramento State isn't very good, and Weber State hasn't been good for awhile, but we have good teams in the Big Sky Conference. In 2003, we placed 3 BSC teams in postseason play.

Paul

Marcus Garvey
September 16th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Best Conference: The A-10
Worst Conference: Ivy League
Most Underrated: The Big Sky

I don't see how the rest of the Big Sky Conference teams (like Idaho State, NAU and Portland State) are bottom feeders. Yeah, Sacramento State isn't very good, and Weber State hasn't been good for awhile, but we have good teams in the Big Sky Conference. In 2003, we placed 3 BSC teams in postseason play.

Paul

I don't see how the Ivy can be the worst when you have the SWAC, Big South and OVC playing I-AA. Granted, they have one of the worst teams in all of I-AA (Columbia), but Harvard and Penn aren't slouches.

Lumberjacks76
September 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM
True, OVC is pretty bad. But the Ivy League doesn't seem very good.

Paul

saint0917
September 16th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Right......Idaho State, NAU, Portland St.....yeah, all look like bottom feeders to me :rolleyes:

I'm glad you agree with me. I shouldn't have said bottom feeders, I should say their always in the middle of the pack. Their not always the top dog.

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Underrated: Southland

We've got Northwestern St, Sam Houston, McNeese, SE La, Tx St

Solid teams but rarely talked about.

blur2005
September 16th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Best: A-10, our competetiveness from top to bottom is pretty good. Why, even Rhode Island looks decent this year, Towson, too.
Worst: Probably the MEAC.
Most Underrated: Great West
Most Overrated: Southern Conference

saint0917
September 16th, 2005, 07:37 PM
See dbackjon, these records are from 2000 up till this year, this conference gets a lot of hype for a bunch of mediocre teams. Don't get me wrong, Montana, Northern Arizona, E.W. Portland St. their all good teams, just not worth all the hype.

Montana 61-14
Montana St. 26-35
Northern Arizona 31-29
Idaho St. 30-28
Portland St. 33-25
Weber St. 23-35
Eastern Washington 34-24
Sacramento St. 19-39

AZGrizFan
September 16th, 2005, 07:51 PM
See dbackjon, these records are from 2000-and this year, this conference gets a lot of hype for a bunch of mediocre teams. Don't get me wrong, Montana, Northern Arizona, E.W. Portland St. their all good teams, just not worth all the hype.

Montana 61-14
Montana St. 26-35
Northern Arizona 31-29
Idaho St. 30-28
Portland St. 33-25
Weber St. 23-35
Eastern Washington 34-24
Sacramento St. 19-39

Yeah, well, aside from Weber and maybe Sac State, any one of the rest would wax UMass a** this year, so what's that prove? What any school did in 2000 or 2001 means jack sh**, since NONE of those kids are playing now. I look at the A-10 and see 3-4 good teams and a bunch of mediocre teams...wow, sounds just like the BSC, and just about EVERY OTHER conference in America.

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2005, 07:56 PM
See dbackjon, these records are from 2000-and this year, this conference gets a lot of hype for a bunch of mediocre teams. Don't get me wrong, Montana, Northern Arizona, E.W. Portland St. their all good teams, just not worth all the hype.

Montana 61-14
Montana St. 26-35
Northern Arizona 31-29
Idaho St. 30-28
Portland St. 33-25
Weber St. 23-35
Eastern Washington 34-24
Sacramento St. 19-39

Wow, not bad. I did not realize Montana had been that dominant.

bkrownd
September 16th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Yeah, well, aside from Weber and maybe Sac State, any one of the rest would wax UMass a** this year, so what's that prove?

Oh hey now, you're BIG talkers way over there safe and sound on the other side of the Missouri now aren't ya? Sounds to me like you need a guided tour of the Department of Smackdown in Amherst. After that we'll take ya on over to Noho and leave you to the whims of a gang of militant feminist Smith girls. Then we'll see who's a** gets waxed, cowboy.

89Hen
September 16th, 2005, 07:59 PM
The Big Sky, while a good conference, could be the most overrated (could being the key word). They were the top conference according to many computer models in 2003, with almost no quality wins OOC other than Montana. The conference from 1993 to 2002 was Montana and the little sisters of the poor. Do you realize that only ONE conference member won a playoff game other than Montana during that stretch (EWU 1997)? And since then, how many other conferences have sent a 7-5 automatic bid winner to the playoffs in consecutive years? :cool: :cool: :cool:

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2005, 08:06 PM
'89...YA'LL ARE IN UH ZONE....OUCH.....BIG FLUFFY....OUCH....:p...AWK!

UD77
September 16th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Patriot is the best 2&1 against the A10 :) :bang:

charliej
September 16th, 2005, 10:24 PM
While I think the A10 is the deepest conference,It's 6-12 vs the BSC all time.

UD,(2-1) & JMU,(1-0) are the only two teams that have a winning record over them.

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Oh hey now, you're BIG talkers way over there safe and sound on the other side of the Missouri now aren't ya? Sounds to me like you need a guided tour of the Department of Smackdown in Amherst. After that we'll take ya on over to Noho and leave you to the whims of a gang of militant feminist Smith girls. Then we'll see who's a** gets waxed, cowboy.

Sound kinky...I'm in!

:confused: I'm safe on the other side of the Missouri? That coming from a guy in Hawaii??? :confused: :confused: Last map I checked the Missouri River didn't run through Arizona. :D (Hopefully I put all these icons in the right places, in case Tod takes me seriously and decides to respond to this post...)

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2005, 11:18 PM

UD,(2-1) & JMU,(1-0) are the only two teams that have a winning record over them.

Interesting.

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2005, 11:20 PM
? And since then, how many other conferences have sent a 7-5 automatic bid winner to the playoffs in consecutive years? :cool: :cool: :cool:

And the way things are going, it may happen again this year! These games are going to be coin flips! Does mediocrity = conference depth? :confused:

Tod
September 19th, 2005, 12:17 AM
...how many other conferences have sent a 7-5 automatic bid winner to the playoffs in consecutive years? :cool: :cool: :cool:

How is that possible? That's 12 games in consecutive years. Besides, that speaks more of a deep conference than a lousy team.

Tod
September 19th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Sound kinky...I'm in!

:confused: I'm safe on the other side of the Missouri? That coming from a guy in Hawaii??? :confused: :confused: Last map I checked the Missouri River didn't run through Arizona. :D (Hopefully I put all these icons in the right places, in case Tod takes me seriously and decides to respond to this post...)

xazzx

bkrownd
September 19th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I'm safe on the other side of the Missouri? That coming from a guy in Hawaii??? Last map I checked the Missouri River didn't run through Arizona. :D

The other side of the Missouri from UMass and the A-10 who you were so foolishly discounting. Now go dig the grubs out of your beard and check those beaver traps, Jack.

umassfan
September 19th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah, well, aside from Weber and maybe Sac State, any one of the rest would wax UMass a** this year, so what's that prove? What any school did in 2000 or 2001 means jack sh**, since NONE of those kids are playing now. I look at the A-10 and see 3-4 good teams and a bunch of mediocre teams...wow, sounds just like the BSC, and just about EVERY OTHER conference in America.
WOW I would love to see a game between UMass and the griz because sure we have our offensive problems but they arent even close to what the girz are dealing with... plus we have the better defense.

umassfan
September 19th, 2005, 01:57 AM
And the way things are going, it may happen again this year! These games are going to be coin flips! Does mediocrity = conference depth? :confused:
Buddy didnt the A10 win the last two NCs? We also won 3 of the last 7 and sent 4 teams to the quads last year... That doesnt = mediocrity to me... that equals top dog.

umassfan
September 19th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Don't forget that the A-10 has way more teams. The Big Sky with only eight teams has done alright with one team winning the champ more than any other A-10 team, three current members have rings, and tons more champ game experience (including five of the last ten champ games). No team has been to more playoffs consecutively than Montana. Now enough of this smacking stuff.
Can any other conference say they had every member make it to the playoffs over the last 10 years(except the recent addition of Towson)? Like I said the A10 has 3 championships over the last 7 years... No other conference can compare to the A10 right now... If you want to talk about I-AA conference historys then it will be a different arguement but I believe this topic is about current I-AA.

blukeys
September 19th, 2005, 07:30 AM

I can recall only 2 games that UD has played against BSC teams, Montana and Portland State. By my count the UD record is 2-0. What was the 3rd game?

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 08:41 AM
How is that possible? That's 12 games in consecutive years. Besides, that speaks more of a deep conference than a lousy team.
Uhh, no it doesn't... MSU was 2-3 OOC both years they went as the auto. If they were 4-1 OOC and everyone had a bunch of BSC losses, that would speak to the depth of the conference.

BTW, there were 12 games in consecutive years.

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM
No team has been to more playoffs consecutively than Montana.
Oops, shot yourself in the foot with that one Ralph. That stat speaks poorly of the BSC IMO.

McNeese75
September 19th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I am sure the new poll will reflect that both the Southern and Southland were overrated up to this point in time. I do however expect both conferences to gain some momentum going forward and be well represented when playoff time comes. :D

AZGrizFan
September 23rd, 2005, 03:11 PM
The other side of the Missouri from UMass and the A-10 who you were so foolishly discounting. Now go dig the grubs out of your beard and check those beaver traps, Jack.

The best beaver trapping here occurs in downtown Tempe...

AZGrizFan
September 23rd, 2005, 03:16 PM

I only began "discounting" the A-10 when UMassFan made the rash statement that the bottom 2/3 of the BSC were bottom feeders. And I refer to my other posts (on other threads) where I AGREE with him. I WISH UM was playing someone like UMass or UD or Maine or ANYONE I-AA instead of Oregon and Fort Lewis. We've learned nothing about what to expect from our team.

It's a moot point as to which conference is best. It all comes out in the wash by late December anyway. I'll bet lunch that Montana goes deeper into the playoffs than either UMass or your team. Book it. UMass Fan, if you've got a better D than Montana, you should cruise to a conference auto-bid.

Chi Panther
September 23rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG....BUT ISN'T THE GATEWAY THE ONLY CONFERENCE WITH ALL MEMBERS HAVING PLAYED IN THE PLAYOFFS.

charliej
September 23rd, 2005, 06:21 PM
I can recall only 2 games that UD has played against BSC teams, Montana and Portland State. By my count the UD record is 2-0. What was the 3rd game?

Sorry Blukeys,that was a typo. :o UD 2-0,JMU 1-0

Stang Fever
September 23rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
Now anyone that has seen me post on here would think that I would quickly pick either the Ivy confrence or PL...as the Worst confrence....

However............as much as i dont like either one of these confrences....I would be hard pressed to call it the worst confrence in all of I-AA....But since people talk to highly about both confrences I would call them the most over-rated confrence...WHY??? siimple you only have 1 sometimes 2 teams that are worth a dam....the rest are all CATFISH (bottom feeders)

I would make a good argument that the Great West is the best confrence so far in its young life...however year in and year out it would be the A-10 because they are so deep...the big sky is also up there...say what you want about sac st. and weber but on any given day the rest of the confrence could beat anyone...

I believe the SWAC and the MEAC is prob. the Worst two confrences

Eagles_Cliff
September 23rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
There's probably more parity in the A-10 year-by-year. That is more "good" teams than other conferences. But presuming, year-by-year, conferences clash....here are conference records in the NC games:

SoCon 9-9*
Gateway 6-2**
Big Sky 5-5
A-10 3-2
OVC 2-2
Southland 1-5**
MEAC 1-0
Patriot 0-2

* Georgia Southern was an Independent for 5 NC appearances and Marshall is no longer in the conference

** Ark St., NE LA (Louisiana-Monroe), LA Tech included in Southland tally
Boise St. and Nevada included in Big Sky total

FightinBluHen51
September 23rd, 2005, 08:28 PM
AFAIK that is correct.
Take away 2 year old A-10 member Towson and the A-10 would be in the playoffs every year.

BTW: Yall took the good old bait pretty good as far as I could figure.

Honestly...they're all good, and who cares as long as we get a good game on paper and on the field.

FightinBluHen51
September 23rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
:confused: koolaid!

LOL :bang: :spank: Definitely not even close to what I was thinking. I honestly don't even begin to know how that got in there.

Meaning, take away 2 year old Towson and the a-10 has placed every team in the playoffs at least once. Sorry Ralph, definitely wasn't trying to give away koolaid :spank: :bang: :bang: :bang: :deadhorse

Again, there are a lot of good conferences out there. If I had to pick it.

Best: Lot's of arguments for the a-10, gateway, socon. any year, you can pick 2~3 playoff contenders out of these conferences, and sometimes all in the same year.
Worst: SWAC, Big South, OVC
Over-rated: Probably is the BSC, simply because besides Montana, no one else seems to get over the hump enough to make noise. Honestly, wish they would, because I like seeing diversity, it means there's good competition.
Under-rated: Patriot, Ivy, perhaps the MEAC at some levels. SLC could actually fit in above too as some years its boom and others its bust, this year they're underrated, in 03 it coulda been over. Patriot because they have shown they can compete with the a-10, socon, and the like, Ivy, for the same a-10 implications (sorry I know they've played other OOC games but I don't know who what where when), but because of the playoff limitation, we just don't know what they could do. MEAC because they sometimes make some noise, but sometimes don't either.

Honestly, this is such an open ended question, it was good to see the smart ones realise the bait was on the hook and some of you took it hook line and sinker.

FightinBluHen51
September 23rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
LOL :bang: :spank: Definitely not even close to what I was thinking. I honestly don't even begin to know how that got in there.

Meaning, take away 2 year old Towson and the a-10 has placed every team in the playoffs at least once. Sorry Ralph, definitely wasn't trying to give away koolaid :spank: :bang: :bang: :bang: :deadhorse

Again, there are a lot of good conferences out there. If I had to pick it.

Best: Lot's of arguments for the a-10, gateway, socon. any year, you can pick 2~3 playoff contenders out of these conferences, and sometimes all in the same year.
Worst: SWAC, Big South, OVC
Over-rated: Probably is the BSC, simply because besides Montana, no one else seems to get over the hump enough to make noise. Honestly, wish they would, because I like seeing diversity, it means there's good competition.
Under-rated: Patriot, Ivy, perhaps the MEAC at some levels. SLC could actually fit in above too as some years its boom and others its bust, this year they're underrated, in 03 it coulda been over. Patriot because they have shown they can compete with the a-10, socon, and the like, Ivy, for the same a-10 implications (sorry I know they've played other OOC games but I don't know who what where when), but because of the playoff limitation, we just don't know what they could do. MEAC because they sometimes make some noise, but sometimes don't either.

Honestly, this is such an open ended question, it was good to see the smart ones realise the bait was on the hook and some of you took it hook line and sinker.
Is that what you call a faux paus?

skinny_uncle
October 20th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Looking at this from a historical perspective:

There have been a total of 27 NC games.
There are only 16 schools who have won titles.

3 ( Marshall, La.-Monroe and Boise State) are now I-A schools.

The 13 remaining I-AA teams who have won titles (broken down by conference).

MEAC-Florida A&M

OVC-Eastern Kentucky

Big Sky-Idaho State, Montana State, and Montana

Southern-Georgia Southern and Furman

A-10-UMass, Delaware, and JMU

Gateway-SIU, Youngstown, and WKU

I-AA championship history (http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history/diviaa)

grizband
October 20th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Simply going by national titles, here is a breakdown of title game participation by conference (this includes teams now in I-A).

Southern – 19 (7 wins)
Big Sky – 10 (5 wins)
Gateway – 8 (6 wins)
Atlantic 10 – 5 (3 wins)
Ohio Valley – 4 (2 wins)
Southland – 4 (1 win, 1 vacated)
MEAC – 1 (1 win)
Patriot – 1 (0 wins)
I-AA Ind. – 1 (0 wins)

colgate13
October 20th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Simply going by national titles, here is a breakdown of title game participation by conference (this includes teams now in I-A).

Southern – 19 (7 wins)
Big Sky – 10 (5 wins)
Gateway – 8 (6 wins)
Atlantic 10 – 5 (3 wins)
Ohio Valley – 4 (2 wins)
MEAC – 1 (1 win)
Patriot – 1 (0 wins)
I-AA Ind. – 1 (0 wins)

I didn't realize it before, but that is pretty great that all of the autobid conferences have at least been to the title game. Now all that's left is for Colgate to get that win... :D

89Hen
October 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Looking at this from a historical perspective:

The 13 remaining I-AA teams who have won titles (broken down by conference).

MEAC-Florida A&M

OVC-Eastern Kentucky

Big Sky-Idaho State, Montana State, and Montana

Southern-Georgia Southern and Furman

A-10-UMass, Delaware, and JMU

Gateway-SIU, Youngstown, and WKU

Some of them more historical than others.

TypicalTribe
October 20th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Some of them more historical than others.

I agree. In the past 20 years, it's the following:

The 8 remaining I-AA teams who have won titles (broken down by conference).

Big Sky - Montana

Southern - Georgia Southern and Furman

A-10 - UMass, Delaware, and JMU

Gateway - Youngstown, and WKU

TypicalTribe
October 20th, 2005, 04:15 PM
In the past 10 years, there have been 150 playoff games. Here are the wins by conference and team:

Southern (29)
GSU - 17 (2 NC)
Furman - 5
ASU - 5
Wofford - 2

A-10 (29)
Delaware - 10 (NC)
UMass - 5 (NC)
JMU - 4 (NC)
W&M - 3
Villanova - 3
Maine - 2
UNH - 1
Richmond - 1

GFC (27)
YSU - 7 (NC)
WKU - 7 (NC)
UNI - 6
WIU - 5
ISU - 2

BSC (22)
Montana - 18 (2 NC)
EWU - 3
NAU - 1

SLC (15)
McNeese St. - 8
SHSU - 3
SFA - 2
NW St. - 2

Patriot (7)
Lehigh - 3
Colgate - 3
Fordham - 1

MEAC (4)
FAMU - 3
NC A&T - 1

OVC (1)
Murray St. - 1

Other (16)

Marshall - 7 (NC)
Troy St. - 3
Hofstra - 2
Fla. Atl. - 2
ETSU - 1
UConn - 1

bandl
October 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM
In the past 10 years, there have been 150 playoff games. Here are the wins by conference and team:

Southern (29)
GSU - 17 (2 NC)
Furman - 5
ASU - 5
Wofford - 2

A-10 (29)
Delaware - 10 (NC)
UMass - 5 (NC)
JMU - 4 (NC)
W&M - 3
Villanova - 3
Maine - 2
UNH - 1
Richmond - 1

GFC (27)
YSU - 7 (NC)
WKU - 7 (NC)
UNI - 6
WIU - 5
ISU - 2

BSC (22)
Montana - 18 (2 NC)
EWU - 3
NAU - 1

SLC (15)
McNeese St. - 8
SHSU - 3
SFA - 2
NW St. - 2

Patriot (7)
Lehigh - 3
Colgate - 3
Fordham - 1

MEAC (4)
FAMU - 3
NC A&T - 1

OVC (1)
Murray St. - 1

Other (16)

Marshall - 7 (NC)
Troy St. - 3
Hofstra - 2
Fla. Atl. - 2
ETSU - 1
UConn - 1

That's alot of stats thrown at us today....I forgot...what's the point of the thread??? :confused: :p

I-AA Fan
October 20th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Southern – 19 (7 wins)
Big Sky – 10 (5 wins)
Gateway – 8 (6 wins)
Atlantic 10 – 5 (3 wins)
Ohio Valley – 4 (2 wins)
MEAC – 1 (1 win)
Patriot – 1 (0 wins)
I-AA Ind. – 1 (0 wins)

YSU did not join the Gateway until 1997. The 91, 93, 94 titles were as an independent. SIU won their title (1983) before the GFC existed. They were in MVC, back when it had football. However, it was the MVC which took over the the Gateway Conference ... so it could be considered the same thing.

UNHknowledge
October 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Best: A-10, our competetiveness from top to bottom is pretty good. Why, even Rhode Island looks decent this year, Towson, too.
Worst: Probably the MEAC.
Most Underrated: Great West
Most Overrated: Southern Conference

Ditto...except NEC, MAAC, and Pioneer are tied for worst. MEAC is the worst scholarship league.

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Ditto...except NEC, MAAC, and Pioneer are tied for worst. MEAC is the worst scholarship league.

Beg to differ, but SWAC and OVC are tied for worst scholarship league.

89Hen
October 20th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Beg to differ, but SWAC and OVC are tied for worst scholarship league.
:nod:

FlyYtown
October 20th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Best A-10 and Gateway

Worst Ivy; one good team but rest aren't too hot.

Underated Southern

UNHknowledge
October 20th, 2005, 09:44 PM

That is very interesting. I'm def not certain but I wouldn't doubt that half those losses are to Montana. Big Sky is tough but I think that record is deceiving because of Montana's dominance.

Tod
October 20th, 2005, 11:01 PM
That is very interesting. I'm def not certain but I wouldn't doubt that half those losses are to Montana. Big Sky is tough but I think that record is deceiving because of Montana's dominance.

That's fine, but make no mistake; Montana is a BSC member, correct? :confused: :confused:

Harvard Worship
October 20th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Hey folks, how can Ivy be the worst? We're 14-10 against other conferences this year. 10-7 against the Patriot League. Only 1-2 vs. the vaunted A-10. And 2-0 vs. MAAC. We may not be the best, be we sure ain't the worst.

UNHknowledge
October 20th, 2005, 11:08 PM
That's fine, but make no mistake; Montana is a BSC member, correct? :confused: :confused:

Yes Todd they are...what are you confused about. My point is that Montana has done a lot of damage to the A10 and not teams like Weber and Idaho St. Thus the 6-12 record makes it look like the BSC is super dominant but I'm thinkin it is more of Montana dominance over the A10 and not the conference as a whole.

Tod
October 20th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Yes Todd they are...what are you confused about. My point is that Montana has done a lot of damage to the A10 and not teams like Weber and Idaho St. Thus the 6-12 record makes it look like the BSC is super dominant but I'm thinkin it is more of Montana dominance over the A10 and not the conference as a whole.

I'm not confused, I'd just like the Griz to be included in with the rest of the Big Sky, that's all. Idaho State has won a NC, by the way. Oh, and I spell my name with one d. Does that confuse you? ;) ;) ;) :D

UNHknowledge
October 20th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I'm not confused, I'd just like the Griz to be included in with the rest of the Big Sky, that's all. Idaho State has won a NC, by the way. Oh, and I spell my name with one d. Does that confuse you? ;) ;) ;) :D

sorry about the name mistake...thats one of my pet peeves too. i just thought u were confused cuz the little confused faces you put up. i just didnt know if you understood the point i was tryin to get across. Def not hatin on Idaho St., I just dont have any recollection of them beating A10 teams.

89Hen
October 21st, 2005, 09:22 AM
Definitely not tied (SWAC and OVC).
I assume you think the OVC is better? They are quickly gaining on that 0-19 mark in the playoffs set by the SWAC. Since their last win the OVC is what, 0-11 in the playoffs?

Gater
October 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM
Anyone have the playoff winning percentages for each conference? Might tell you which conferences are the most and least deserving of bids.

grizband
October 21st, 2005, 11:36 AM
Here is a breakdown of playoffs wins and losses by conference since the 2000 season.

A-10 20-13
Southern 16-11
Big Sky 14-10
Gateway 11-12
Southland 7-10
Patriot 6-6
Independent 2-1
Ohio Valley 0-6
MEAC 0-6

AppGuy04
October 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM
Here is a breakdown of playoffs wins and losses by conference since the 2000 season.

A-10 20-13
Southern 16-11
Big Sky 14-10
Gateway 11-12
Southland 7-10
Patriot 6-6
Independent 2-1
Ohio Valley 0-6
MEAC 0-6

gotta love those auto bids, i mean auto first round losses

youwouldno
October 21st, 2005, 01:04 PM
I think that stat gives a pretty good picture of conference strength over the last 5 years.

grizband
October 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM
To me it shows some parity among the top 4 or 5 conferences. It also shows that the playoff conferences are definately divided by those those who have quite a few wins, and those who have none.

NSUDemon98
October 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM

SLC (15)
McNeese St. - 8
SHSU - 3
SFA - 2
NW St. - 2

NSU has 3 playoff wins. 1 in 1988 against Boise St. or Idaho St. and 2 in 1998 against App. St and Illinois St.

McNeese75
October 21st, 2005, 03:23 PM
NSU has 3 playoff wins. 1 in 1988 against Boise St. or Idaho St. and 2 in 1998 against App. St and Illinois St.

Oh Demon, this one is gonna hurt :D

COLONELSINCE78
October 21st, 2005, 03:49 PM
I must agree...the OVC sucks. I have seen a TON of OVC games over the last 5-6 years and we are freaking bad. At least the other conferences have some top dogs. We just have about 4 teams that beat each other (Eastern KY & Ill, Murray, and Jax State.

Murray is struggling this year, so basically other than the top 3, the league is pitiful, and us pissing away the auto bid every year does not help. :mad:

Gater
October 21st, 2005, 03:49 PM
Interesting that the Patriot League is one of the four conferences at .500 or better.

colgate13
October 21st, 2005, 09:40 PM
Interesting that the Patriot League is one of the four conferences at .500 or better.

A run to the national championship game can do wonders, can't it? :)

ngineer
October 21st, 2005, 10:26 PM

Southern – 19 (7 wins)
Big Sky – 10 (5 wins)
Gateway – 8 (6 wins)
Atlantic 10 – 5 (3 wins)
Ohio Valley – 4 (2 wins)
MEAC – 1 (1 win)
Patriot – 1 (0 wins)
I-AA Ind. – 1 (0 wins)

CORRECTION. PL has two national title game appearances. Colgate in 2003 and Lehigh in 1979 (lost to Eastern Kentucky).

ngineer
October 21st, 2005, 10:30 PM

Southern (29)
GSU - 17 (2 NC)
Furman - 5
ASU - 5
Wofford - 2

A-10 (29)
Delaware - 10 (NC)
UMass - 5 (NC)
JMU - 4 (NC)
W&M - 3
Villanova - 3
Maine - 2
UNH - 1
Richmond - 1

GFC (27)
YSU - 7 (NC)
WKU - 7 (NC)
UNI - 6
WIU - 5
ISU - 2

BSC (22)
Montana - 18 (2 NC)
EWU - 3
NAU - 1

SLC (15)
McNeese St. - 8
SHSU - 3
SFA - 2
NW St. - 2

Patriot (7)
Lehigh - 3Colgate - 3
Fordham - 1

MEAC (4)
FAMU - 3
NC A&T - 1

OVC (1)
Murray St. - 1

Other (16)

Marshall - 7 (NC)
Troy St. - 3
Hofstra - 2
Fla. Atl. - 2
ETSU - 1
UConn - 1

CORRECTION: Patriot has 8, with Lehigh having four (4) wins in the I-AA playoffs: 1979 vs. Murray St.; 1998 vs. Richmond; 2000 vs. Western Illinois;
2001 vs. Hofstra.

TheValleyRaider
October 21st, 2005, 11:20 PM
CORRECTION: Patriot has 8, with Lehigh having four (4) wins in the I-AA playoffs: 1979 vs. Murray St.; 1998 vs. Richmond; 2000 vs. Western Illinois;
2001 vs. Hofstra.

He was going off the last 10 years. 1979 was a little before that.

ngineer
October 22nd, 2005, 08:29 AM
He was going off the last 10 years. 1979 was a little before that.

In the iimmortal words of Roseanne RosannaDanna, "Never mind." :D
I was following the previous post by Griz that listed alltitle game appearances. Didn't read close enough that Tribe limited the scope.

NSUDemon98
October 22nd, 2005, 11:34 AM
Oh Demon, this one is gonna hurt :D

Sorry, I am a little dense this morning...what is gonna hurt?