PDA

View Full Version : Biggest upset this weekend?

Lumberjacks76
September 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I say Samford over Furman. I really like how Samford has played thus far. Yeah, they're a middle-of-the-road OVC team, but two years ago they finished 7-4 and nearly won every game they played in OVC (they lost some really close games in all 3 losses).

Paul

OL FU
September 16th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Didn't you pick Western Carolina last week?
You better be wrong this time. Arizona is only a three hour flight from South Carolina :D

FlyBoy8
September 16th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Holy Cross over Harvard.

GannonFan
September 16th, 2005, 12:34 PM
There's a potential for URI over W&M - wouldn't take that to the bank, of course, but it could happen. Was only a 7 point game last year and that was in Williamsburg - this one's in Kingston.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM
There's a potential for URI over W&M - wouldn't take that to the bank, of course, but it could happen. Was only a 7 point game last year and that was in Williamsburg - this one's in Kingston.

It looks like it will be a rainy day in Kingston tomorrow curtesy of Ophelia. Let's hope Lake Meade doesn't make another appearance. After last year's Monsoon Bowl in Durham due to remnants of another hurricane, the Tribe should be prepared but I'm sure they'd prefer drier conditions.

ChickenMan
September 16th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Del St over JMU... :eek: ;) :D

ISUMatt
September 16th, 2005, 01:20 PM
SIU over Western Michigan!!!

GannonFan
September 16th, 2005, 01:22 PM

I think the topic is upsets - you could argue SIU should be favored in this one.

ISUMatt
September 16th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I think the topic is upsets - you could argue SIU should be favored in this one.

I-AAs should NEVER be favored over I-As on the road, at least thats what every Sportswriter will tell ya!!!

TexasTerror
Who's Indiana St playing this week? They may not have much a chance against BYE (or OPEN) if that's who they're playing...

ISUMatt
Who's Indiana St playing this week? They may not have much a chance against BYE (or OPEN) if that's who they're playing...

Murray St

GannonFan
September 16th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I-AAs should NEVER be favored over I-As on the road, at least thats what every Sportswriter will tell ya!!!

Wait, now we're listening to sportswriters about IA versus IAA? My 2 year old can give a more enlightened answer. I still have WMU as a home dog this week - don't disappoint the IAA world and lose this one!

Doo Cane 4 ever
September 16th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Gotta be Duquesne over Penn :eek:

rabidsaluki
September 16th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Now how is it that I knew - before opening this thread - that a Redturd or UNI Kitty fan would trash us on this one? :D

Matt, it surprises me that it was you.... :eek: :rolleyes:

I was kinda expecting it from Cap'N Cat

Eagle_77
September 16th, 2005, 02:02 PM

This is the one that stuck out to me as well. I think if its a close game RI will win but if W&M wins it will be by a lot.

HensRock
September 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I still have WMU as a home dog this week

So do I. I'm giving them 1.5 at
|
|
V

HensRock
September 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM
(BTW my upset is Towson over UNH)

IaaScribe
September 16th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Not trying to start a flame war, but is Morgan State any good or did Towson just suck on opening night? Truly curious ...

Lumberjacks76
The W. Kentucky game...now that one looks interesting. Auburn should fear the Hilltoppers.

Paul

IaaScribe
No, no, no Paul. Auburn wins by AT LEAST five touchdowns.

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2005, 02:53 PM
It looks like it will be a rainy day in Kingston tomorrow curtesy of Ophelia. Let's hope Lake Meade doesn't make another appearance. After last year's Monsoon Bowl in Durham due to remnants of another hurricane, the Tribe should be prepared but I'm sure they'd prefer drier conditions.

Wet conditions are tough on the spread option and good for a power running game. Should accentuate what advantage we have.

blueballs
September 16th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Wet conditions are tough on the spread option and good for a power running game. Should accentuate what advantage we have.

Yup, see UNH at GSU in the playoffs last year as a reference.

HensRock
September 16th, 2005, 03:08 PM
The W. Kentucky game...now that one looks interesting. Auburn should fear the Hilltoppers.

Paul

I thought WKU was idle.

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2005, 03:10 PM
WTH. Princeton over Lafayette.

Lumberjacks76
September 16th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I disagree with Princeton over Lafayette. Lafayette is a good football team this year.

They defeated Marist 40-21, and Richmond 7-0.

No way Princeton gets within 2 TDs of the Lafayette Leopards.

Paul

JALMOND
September 16th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Paul---don't look anywhere but within the conference. NDSU is so concerned over the perceived "slight" that they are already looking forward to their showdown with Montana State. They want to beat one of the Big Sky heavyweights that they will look past a Big Sky up and comer. My upset this week---Weber over NDSU in Fargo.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Why do A10 people always seem to want to underestimate Socon teams?? FU may not be a top 5 quality team, but I don't think there's any way they'll lose to Samford. Remember back in '02 when GSU lost to Wofford at home and everyone thought we were history? I think you're doing the same thing with the WCU win over FU.

Hoo-ah
September 16th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Why do A10 people always seem to want to underestimate Socon teams?? FU may not be a top 5 quality team, but I don't think there's any way they'll lose to Samford. Remember back in '02 when GSU lost to Wofford at home and everyone thought we were history? I think you're doing the same thing with the WCU win over FU.

NAU isn't in the A-10. :confused:

rcny46
September 16th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Yeah,but you know how sportswriters are.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2005, 05:43 PM
NAU isn't in the A-10. :confused:

Oh yeah, they're in the big sky. Doh!!! Oh well, I stand by what I say.

Furman: 28
Samford: 10

rcny46
September 16th, 2005, 05:47 PM
After last week's results,nothing would surprise me.At any rate,I can see the possibility of URI,Weber St.,Holy Cross and Towson defying the odds.

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Biggest upset:
Sam Houston over Texas Tech
We're going to catch the Red Raiders sleeping. :)

ISUMatt
September 16th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Now how is it that I knew - before opening this thread - that a Redturd or UNI Kitty fan would trash us on this one? :D

Matt, it surprises me that it was you.... :eek: :rolleyes:

I was kinda expecting it from Cap'N Cat

Dont give me any crap 5dimes.com has Western Michigan as a 4 point favorite, so me picking SIU would be an upset!!!
www.5dimes.com Look it up yourself its under NCAA Added!!!

Sep-17 615 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS +4 -115
7:00 PM 616 WESTERN MICHIGAN -4 -115

TulsaBobcat
September 16th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I have a gut feeling that Weber State will go to Fargo and take down the Bison. I think that Northwestern State may have been overrated and ULMonroe is just that bad.

ngineer
September 16th, 2005, 07:41 PM

That's no upset.. ;)

GOKATS
September 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Dare I say it? I think SDSU is going to give the Griz a run for their money. Um has to prove they have an offense. :confused:

ngineer
September 16th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I think the best chance for a good upset is Holy Cross over visiting Harvard. The Crimson will be in their first game and the Crusaders already with two nice wins under their belt, translating into a lot of confidence. A strong running game will keep the ball away from Harvard enough and Gilmore will have his D (his specialty) primed. Plus he'll be going against former fellow Lehigh Coordinator Dave Cecchini who was the OC at Lehigh when Tom began as DC with the Mountain Hawks. More motivation, plus the geographical rivalry and at home in Fitton Field. Hope the weather cooperates because they should have a nice crowd there. Anything less than 15,000 on a nice day would be disappointing.

CollegeObserver
September 16th, 2005, 07:56 PM
You heard it here first, Richmond over Maine.

Lumberjacks76
September 16th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I just think Samford has a chance in this one.

Paul

ngineer
September 16th, 2005, 08:00 PM
You heard it here first, Richmond over Maine.

Well, if they can make it to Maine through Ophelia, maybe they'll be able to find the goal line. :D

rabidsaluki
September 16th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Dont give me any crap 5dimes.com has Western Michigan as a 4 point favorite, so me picking SIU would be an upset!!!
www.5dimes.com Look it up yourself its under NCAA Added!!!

Sep-17 615 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS +4 -115
7:00 PM 616 WESTERN MICHIGAN -4 -115

Actually I owe you an apology, Matt. I got ahead of myself and made a dyslexic ass of myself. I thought it was the other way around. :bang:

My bad.

I'll be watching it here locally and will be giving updates.

JaxStateManager
September 16th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Jax State 51, Samford 18 is hardly close.

SeattleGriz
September 17th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Cal Poly over Montana State by 2+TD's. MSU always looks good to start the season, but quickly stinks up the field.

MSUCats
September 17th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Cal Poly over Montana State by 2+TD's. MSU always looks good to start the season, but quickly stinks up the field.

Two ranked teams? In Cal Poly? Why would this be an upset?

When does the start of a season end? We are 1-1.

I take it you have been following the Bobcats for only a year. Do your homework. :rolleyes:

saint0917
September 17th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I thought WKU was idle.

They are, WKU and Auburn don't play until Sept. 24, My upsets

Presbyterian over Elon
Western Carolina over Cincinnati

FlyBoy8
September 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM
SIU isn't going to beat WMU. They looked decent against Virginia.

Dallas Demon
September 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Northwestern State to get back on track by beating ULL. Not sure if I would call it an upset at this point, I'd be disappointed if we lost. However, if accomplished, Northwestern will have done what no other I-AA has ever been done before - beat two I-As in a single season. In addition, Northwestern will have increased it's record number of I-A wins to 11 (the Demons currently hold the record for I-AA at 10 I-A wins).

mikebigg
September 17th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Grambling moves to 3-0 alltime against the Pac-10. You heard it here first!

Hansel
September 17th, 2005, 11:04 AM
SIU isn't going to beat WMU. They looked decent against Virginia.
They also got pounded by Toledo

SpiritCymbal
September 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM
No, no, no Paul. Auburn wins by AT LEAST five touchdowns.

I'll take that bet. Just a friendly $10 on that?

SpiritCymbal
September 17th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Upset of the week will be Coastal Carolina over Appalachian St.

kats89
September 17th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Northwestern State to get back on track by beating ULL. Not sure if I would call it an upset at this point, I'd be disappointed if we lost. However, if accomplished, Northwestern will have done what no other I-AA has ever been done before - beat two I-As in a single season. In addition, Northwestern will have increased it's record number of I-A wins to 11 (the Demons currently hold the record for I-AA at 10 I-A wins).

After getting smacked around by the Bison, I hope you are right. Any OOC SLC win is a good SLC win, even if the Bearkats and Demons don't like each other.

kats89
September 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Biggest upset:
Sam Houston over Texas Tech
We're going to catch the Red Raiders sleeping. :)

:eek:

That is why they play the game. I could see it now in the headlines tomorrow, "Kats sneak up on the Raiders" :D

CrunchGriz
September 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Two ranked teams? In Cal Poly? Why would this be an upset?

MSU is ranked #11. Cal Poly is ranked #18.

If a #18 beats a #11, that's called an upset. Techically. No matter how you cut it.

Frankly, though, I picked the 'Cats to win this one in my pool, so don't hammer me as a 'Cat basher.