PDA

View Full Version : Keeler on NC Game, Refs, 2008

93henfan
December 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071218/SPORTS07/712180400/1028/rss0201

Some interesting tidbits in this article:

Keeler's agent was, in fact, contacted by Michigan last week but K.C. would not speak with Michigan during NC week.

Replay officials were SEC.

Delaware WR Mark Duncan sought out the police officer he beaned with the football for an apology but could not locate him. UD is attempting to locate the officer via Chattanooga PD.

thmst30
December 19th, 2007, 10:05 PM
The officiating WAS horrible, but all the reviews were called correctly. Can't complain about that.

bench
December 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM
For all the hoopla the week after the Northern Iowa game concerning Keeler, he was extremely gracious in defeat. He could have reasonably made critical comments regarding the officiating and the fans, but he didn't. He didn't say much of anything about the refs, and he kind of pardoned the fans rushing the field by saying they were excited and deserved to be.

93henfan
December 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I think KC said the right things about the officials. They were bad, particularly one-sided in the first half, but he ultimately gives credit to App State for being as good as advertised. I think most of us Delaware fans would admit as such.

The refs demoralized us and the team early, so you wonder what might have happened had the playing field been level in the first half, given football is a game of emotion and momentum, but even then, we admit that it probably wouldn't have made up the 28 point deficit. After a long, difficult road to Chatty, our guys looked like a slow, tired bunch against the App speed demons.

Rob Iola
December 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
The ASU squad that showed up last Friday night would've beat us at Newark with CAA officials. But yes, after 2 weeks in hostile, inaccessible regions of the Midwest it would've been nice to play the game in a truly neutral locale...

Ud1Hens
December 19th, 2007, 11:33 PM
When the refs called us Delaware State that was the final straw in my book.

bench
December 19th, 2007, 11:46 PM
When the refs called us Delaware State that was the final straw in my book.
I admit it. I laughed.

What was so funny about it, the PA system was shot and you couldn't hear a word they were saying, but when they said "Time-out, Delaware State," everyone heard it. That wasn't the first hint that things just weren't going your way, nor was it the last.

uni88
December 20th, 2007, 06:22 AM
For all the hoopla the week after the Northern Iowa game concerning Keeler, he was extremely gracious in defeat. He could have reasonably made critical comments regarding the officiating and the fans, but he didn't. He didn't say much of anything about the refs, and he kind of pardoned the fans rushing the field by saying they were excited and deserved to be.

Agreed! From what I saw and heard, Keeler handled things (officiating, sportsmanship & Michigan) the right way. Props to him for that. xthumbsupx

Appaholic
December 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Keeler was impressive....very classy guy....Delaware should count their blessings everyday that they have a classy, young, top flight coach for many years to come who bleeds Delaware blue......xthumbsupx

AppStsGr8
December 20th, 2007, 07:14 AM
While I don't think the ultimate outcome was jeopardized, I was greatly disappointed in the level of officiating. I'm grateful for the SEC replay officials being enough on top of things to get calls made correctly regardless of which way they went.

Delaware has good reason to be proud of Keeler for his responses to the officiating and the game in general. Rather than turn Delaware into a school that people love to hate, he's created more Delaware fans. That seems like an important part of building a strong program, too ... smart guy.

OldRef
December 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Keeler was impressive....very classy guy....Delaware should count their blessings everyday that they have a classy, young, top flight coach for many years to come who bleeds Delaware blue......xthumbsupx

Well said Appaholic

ASUG8
December 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Keeler's a class guy - I wondered if the Michigan distraction might impact the result of the game, but it turns out he never even spoke to them. I admire that he didn't talk to them so he could see this team through the finals - I think a lot of FCS coaches might have abandoned their team to make the jump. Delaware has a lot to be proud of.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Keeler's post-game comments showed his class - I was impressed with him and his players - the refs were bad but it just points out the importance of video replay judges - Hopefully all playoff games next year will use the technology available - And to be somewhat fair to the refs, a couple of those calls were so close (the 2 UD Non-TD/TD, both overturned, in particular) that is understandable that they were missed, but overall they really struggled.

bluehenbillk
December 20th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Keeler also mentioned on his radio show last night they should go public as early as next month with facility improvements. Step 1 would be things like weight room, practicie facility, academic center, etc. Step 2 would be the Tub itself.

Should put UD back at the top of the CAA for facilities. Stadium wise they never left but the "behind the scenes" they've stood still too long.

bamamountaineer1013
December 20th, 2007, 07:59 AM

I gotta admit that some of the things I heard about Keeler after the UNI painted him as a pretty unclassy guy, but after seeing him on Friday night, and hearing everything he has said since then, he seems like a great coach and an outstanding person

PeacockRaider
December 20th, 2007, 08:01 AM
He even took off his sunglasses this year, way to kc

Appinator
December 20th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I ditto his class, as I have mentioned it on another thread on here as well.

In such a high profile game, you would think that the NCAA would want to showcase not only the best schools from our level, but the best referees from our level too.

This rotation of crews for equality purposes is utterly ridiculous. Why don't we rotate the participants of the game as well, to make it all equal for every conference to have a chance to win?

Oh, I forgot, the teams earned their way to Chattanooga. The officials should too.

GannonFan
December 20th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Keeler is confident and very pro-UD, and that rubs some people the wrong way (plus the anti-sunglasses people dislike him as well), but he rarely if ever publically disses a coach or a team or a program. If the thing that people dislike the most about him is his confidence then I can live with that.

He did a good job of not making the game about the referees. I doubt the outcome would've changed (Appy winning) but the game would've been more competitive and more fun to watch had the refs not bungled what they did in the first half.

Keeler should get props for keeping the team in line later in the game as well. When Duncan did what he did on that kickoff return, KC couldn't have been out there any faster to let him know that was unacceptable. The fact that Duncan went to the Appy St lockerroom after the game to apologize and the fact that he's still trying to contact the officer who he almost hit with the ball to apologize to him is a good reflection on how Keeler wants his players to act.

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071218/SPORTS07/712180400/1028/rss0201

Some interesting tidbits in this article:

Keeler's agent was, in fact, contacted by Michigan last week but K.C. would not speak with Michigan during NC week.

Replay officials were SEC.

Delaware WR Mark Duncan sought out the police officer he beaned with the football for an apology but could not locate him. UD is attempting to locate the officer via Chattanooga PD.
Yet more proof that Keeler is a stand-up guy. xthumbsupx