PDA

View Full Version : What would it take?

AlphaSigMD
December 18th, 2007, 09:56 PM
If ASU can go through next year with half of the injuries they sustained, they will likely be one of the favorites for next year's National Championship. We'll likely have a stud recruiting class this year too, for reasons mentioned in the 2008 thread. That being said, we will lose a lot of players and will have a tough time in the SoCon next year if we don't develop the talent we have.

So. All that stated, this is purely for conjecture.

What's it gonna take for YOU to recognize ASU as "THE" powerhouse football team/dynasty of all time.

A couple of suggestions.

You already do by virtue of the ASU three-peat
Winning 4 Straight National Championships
Winning 5 Straight National Championships
A Miracle ( 2002, 2007.... )

Now, anyone already saying that there is NO FREAKIN WAY is fairly short-sighted. I'll admit that 4 or 5 in a row is a big stretch, but you gotta play one game at a time. As outlandish as it sounds, it certainly falls well within the realm of reasonability. With armanti at the helm, we will be a contender, hands down.

My opinion is that if ASU can win 4 NCAA National Championships in a row, it will have done something that no other program in the history of football has ever done at any level. Right now, there are a couple of D2 and D3 schools that have 3 NC wins in a row. To me, that will trump anything that GSU or YSU or Marshall could ever put up against us.

My guess is that all the GSU fans will want us to win 7 before even giving ASU a second thought.

No_Skill
December 18th, 2007, 10:03 PM
3, even 4 good years does not a dynasty make.

thmst30
December 18th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Yea because FCS teams are ALWAYS winning three in a row. If we win 4 straight how the hell can you possibly say we aren't a dynasty yet.

Saint3333
December 18th, 2007, 10:27 PM
3, even 4 good years does not a dynasty make.

I don't think ASU is the best of all-time, I'd rank them 5th behind GSU, YSU, Marshall, and Montana.

However...

ASU has been a solid 1-AA/FCS program since 1985. Since 1985 ASU has only one losing season in the past 23 years (1993) (Montana is the only other FCS team that can claim this), 71% winning percentage, 7 SoCon Championships, 15 playoff appearances (4th all-time), 20 playoff wins (5th all-time), 5 semifinal appearance (6th all-time), 3 national championships (3rd all-time).

The last three years have made a top 10 FCS program into a top 5 all-time program. I'm not sure what your definition of a dynasty is, but many would agree they've reached that status.

thmst30
December 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM
ASU has been a solid 1-AA/FCS program since 1985. Since 1985 ASU has only one losing season in the past 23 years (1993) (Montana is the only other FCS team that can claim this), 71% winning percentage, 7 SoCon Championships, 15 playoff appearances (4th all-time), 20 playoff wins (5th all-time), 4 semifinal appearance (7th all-time), 3 national championships (3rd all-time).

The last three years have made a top 10 FCS program into a top 5 all-time program. I'm not sure what your definition of a dynasty is, but many would agree they've reached that status.

Thanks for the great stats. I'd say thats a bit better than "3 good years."

LarryBoy
December 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Do you want us to give App a best of all time trophy? I'm not sure what you're asking for here.

Look, we know that it's hard to wrap one's head around App's recent success. Enjoy it for what it is without all of these ASU = Deity threads. App will fall again; probably next year, but maybe not.

Dynasty, yes. Best of all time? Not yet. But again, that's impossible to figure out anyways.

thmst30
December 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Do you want us to give App a best of all time trophy? I'm not sure what you're asking for here.

Look, we know that it's hard to wrap one's head around App's recent success. Enjoy it for what it is without all of these ASU = Deity threads. App will fall again; probably next year, but maybe not.

Dynasty, yes. Best of all time? Not yet. But again, that's impossible to figure out anyways.

Yea uh, thats not what this is about. Not claiming "best of all time."

blackNgold93
December 18th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I think we can only have this discussion if we maintain this level of success after we have had 100% turnover of starters and backups. There are a few of our starters this year that were also starters in 2005. Right now we have a strong program with an very talented team. A dynasty is built on great recruiting.

I'm just content to enjoy our moment in the sun.

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I think we can only have this discussion if we maintain this level of success after we have had 100% turnover of starters and backups. There are a few of our starters this year that were also starters in 2005. Right now we have a strong program with an very talented team. A dynasty is built on great recruiting.

I'm just content to enjoy our moment in the sun.

And the rest of the I-AA world is jealous as hell. Enjoy. xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Bettina90
December 19th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Honest question and any links appreciated, but does ASU's graduation rate match the success on the football field, and accompanying pride being displayed? And vs. other FCS schools? I honestly don't know. I saw something that showed them in the 40th to 50th percentile in football for the years ending 2006 but not sure if that meant what I read it to mean.

This is not a smack board question, this is just a question for the ASU fans, cause I don't know the answer, and some minor googling yielded mixed and possibly dated results.

KiddBrewer
December 19th, 2007, 01:19 AM
apps been pretty good for more than 3 years.

they are 167-70 since jerry moore arrived, and have won 8 southern conference championships.

just readingxcoffeex

KiddBrewer
December 19th, 2007, 01:22 AM
ps. probably not the best all time.....after 7 in a row, yes. ha

ASU
December 19th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Honest question and any links appreciated, but does ASU's graduation rate match the success on the football field, and accompanying pride being displayed? And vs. other FCS schools? I honestly don't know. I saw something that showed them in the 40th to 50th percentile in football for the years ending 2006 but not sure if that meant what I read it to mean.

This is not a smack board question, this is just a question for the ASU fans, cause I don't know the answer, and some minor googling yielded mixed and possibly dated results.

The graduation rate for the football team is actually excellent. Better than the overall student population is my understanding. They look for smart football players as one of their requirements. They have never lost any scholarships by the NCAA for that either. For example, Armanti Edwards actually makes the "Deans List" and has a 3.75 GPA is what we are told. (I know that some people speculate differently....maybe because of some interviews, but listen to other interviews and you hear something entirely different. Also those same people that rap on our players then turn around and misspronounce Illinois or use some other poor English.)

ASU
December 19th, 2007, 01:33 AM

The graduation rate for the football team is actually excellent. Better than the overall student population is my understanding. They look for smart football players as one of their requirements. They have never lost any scholarships by the NCAA for that either. For example, Armanti Edwards actually makes the "Deans List" and has a 3.75 GPA per what we are told. (I know that some people speculate differently....maybe because of some interviews, but listen to other interviews and you hear something entirely different. Also those same people that rap on our players then turn around and misspronounce Illinois or use some other poor English.)

Grizalltheway
December 19th, 2007, 01:48 AM
If ASU can go through next year with half of the injuries they sustained, they will likely be one of the favorites for next year's National Championship. We'll likely have a stud recruiting class this year too, for reasons mentioned in the 2008 thread. That being said, we will lose a lot of players and will have a tough time in the SoCon next year if we don't develop the talent we have.

What's it gonna take for YOU to recognize ASU as "THE" powerhouse football team/dynasty of all time.

A couple of suggestions.

Now, anyone already saying that there is NO FREAKIN WAY is fairly short-sighted. I'll admit that 4 or 5 in a row is a big stretch, but you gotta play one game at a time. As outlandish as it sounds, it certainly falls well within the realm of reasonability. With armanti at the helm, we will be a contender, hands down.

My opinion is that if ASU can win 4 NCAA National Championships in a row, it will have done something that no other program in the history of football has ever done at any level. Right now, there are a couple of D2 and D3 schools that have 3 NC wins in a row. To me, that will trump anything that GSU or YSU or Marshall could ever put up against us.

My guess is that all the GSU fans will want us to win 7 before even giving ASU a second thought.

Carroll College (including 5 out of 6) xrulesx

mvemjsunpx
December 19th, 2007, 01:55 AM

Yes, Carroll College (Helena, MT) won 4 straight NAIA championships from 2002-05. They also won this year.

Tod
December 19th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Yes, Carroll College (Helena, MT) won 4 straight NAIA championships from 2002-05. They also won this year.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ab4app
December 19th, 2007, 07:20 AM

A couple of suggestions.

Lets keep our heads here, yes we have had some amazing success and have been at the top for three years. Lets just enjoy this third NC and not make the mark on our teams back any bigger then it is. I still think we can continue to have great success for a good while to come, but lets let other people outside of our fan base label us a dynasty if they want to, we need to maintain our blue collar hard work attitude and not let any of this success get to us. Look at a history and see that it would be a bad idea to think we own the world. I think that we have been at another level in the last year or two. however, there are plenty of other gifted athletes coaches and teams that are more than capable of rising to the occassion and making their own page in the history books. I think APP will be great for atleast a few years to come. I hope we can continue to win but lets not be cocky in our speculations about the seasons to come, that is asking for trouble. Lets let other people build us up and label us a Dynasty if they want to , We dont need or want that title yet. I dont mean to come down on another APPSTER, YOU didnt really say anything too off base in your post, I think I meant to use another one, my bad, I was just throwin in my thoughts, I see you are just hoping not saying.
GO APPSxnodx

AlphaSigMD
December 19th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Ok you got me. When I said at any level, I guess I meant NCAA Football and not NAIA, JUCO or soccer.

APPride
December 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Ok you got me. When I said at any level, I guess I meant NCAA Football and not NAIA, JUCO or soccer.

on Monday the Winston paper had a picture of the team holding up the trophy and I thought man, ANOTHER front page story?
but it was just the story about Wake Forest soccer winning the NCAA title the day before... Same trophy! Way to go Wake! xthumbsupx

GannonFan
December 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I think Appy is currently a dynasty - you win 3 in a row and you are certainly that. I don't think any one of the 3 years has been a best of all time team, though. I'd take almost any of the GSU teams over them, I'd take the '03 UD team over them, and some of those teams from the mid to late 80's were powerhouses. As a program, there's no denying the specialness of the 3 titles in a row though.

uni88
December 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Sorry to pile on but Augustana (Div III) had 4 in a row from 1983 - 1986.

URMite
December 19th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I don't think ASU is the best of all-time, I'd rank them 5th behind GSU, YSU, Marshall, and Montana.

However...

ASU has been a solid 1-AA/FCS program since 1985. Since 1985 ASU has only one losing season in the past 23 years (1993) (Montana is the only other FCS team that can claim this), 71% winning percentage, 7 SoCon Championships, 15 playoff appearances (4th all-time), 20 playoff wins (5th all-time), 5 semifinal appearance (6th all-time), 3 national championships (3rd all-time).

I thought EKU said something about 30 winning seasons in a row? 35 non-losing seasons...

AlphaSigMD
December 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Sorry to pile on but Augustana (Div III) had 4 in a row from 1983 - 1986.

damn them, and that charming "boston" song. xlolx.

mvemjsunpx
December 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM

What? You're comparing NAIA to JuCo or soccer?

NAIA is better than DIII & only slightly below DII. They play the same 4-year brand of football. I'm pretty sure Carroll would beat Mt. Union/UW-Whitewater & they would give Valdosta a good game.