PDA

View Full Version : Kidd-Brewer Expansion

mtnralum
December 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Have any APP fans seen pictures for the East side stadium expansion? I've seen the YouTube video, but I've also heard that it may or may not be a true representation for how the new stands will appear. I can't wait until next season rolls around. Talk of the stadium expansion will hold me over until the 2008 schedule is announced.

AppStsGr8
December 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
The App trustee who sits in front of me at Kidd Brewer says the expansion will ultimately take the visitor's side to two levels like the home side is now ... including restroom and concession facilities. As I understand it, the hill is to remain as it is. It should be quite nice.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM
at Kidd Brewer says the expansion will ultimately take the visitor's side to two levels like the home side is now

Remember it is now known as the East side or the preferred - STATE - side!
I have seen an earlier rendering on goasu where it will be a second deck and not extended like the APP side

roysboi12
December 18th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I also heard that it will be stacked on top of the current seat, acting as a partial overhang like the original renderings of the Facilities Enhancement Campaign. This first draft had all the expansion and boxes on the East side. This overhang will allow more boxes to be added to the East side at a later date if necessary.

ERASU2113
December 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Remember it is now known as the East side or the preferred - STATE - side!
I have seen an earlier rendering on goasu where it will be a second deck and not extended like the APP side

There's an computer rendering of the East side stands that was posted on a previous thread....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34333&highlight=Kidd+Brewer

You have to look through the pages, but there's one somewhere on that thread.

I believe they've already started working on it, as well as, continuing the complex on the west side. Supposed to have the east side completed and majority of the complex (atleast the framework - press box and suites ) up and running by next season.

roysboi12
December 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Here are the original plans. The east deck will be stacked like this one.

http://goasu.com/autoimage/pcUwDpv.jpg

ERASU2113
December 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Yea that's the one I was thinking of. Just don't expect Owens' to look like that :D

roysboi12
December 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM
The original plan called for all the weight room and locker room stuff to built in to that new Owens Field House, but they decided to move all that into the new complex on the West side with all the suite's.

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I am expanding, i did eat a little too much over thanksgiving and such....xnonox

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM
i think itd be pretty neat to have seats on the east side in the upper deck, should be pretty high up there if its an overhang.

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2007, 01:52 PM

How come the stands are full with nobody on the field (except for the one guy on the track and the people hanging around the high jump pit)??xconfusedx xconfusedx

Those look great. I have thought for a while that expansion to the visitor's side should be high on ASU's list. Any word on whether they've thought about removing the track (I know we've discussed it on here before, but can't really remember the substance)?

I know a lot of people don't mind it, and I didn't think it was a big deal until JMU "covered" theirs a few years ago. I think it looks a lot better. Plus, for some reason the track bothered me during ASU's TV games during the playoffs (although it was hardly noticeable in person). I know one thing, I bet the streaker during the JMU game wishes that there wasn't a track there. His a$$ got slid across that thing!!

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM
How come the stands are full with nobody on the field (except for the one guy on the track and the people hanging around the high jump pit)??xconfusedx xconfusedx

Those look great. I have thought for a while that expansion to the visitor's side should be high on ASU's list. Any word on whether they've thought about removing the track (I know we've discussed it on here before, but can't really remember the substance)?

I know a lot of people don't mind it, and I didn't think it was a big deal until JMU "covered" theirs a few years ago. I think it looks a lot better. Plus, for some reason the track bothered me during ASU's TV games during the playoffs (although it was hardly noticeable in person). I know one thing, I bet the streaker during the JMU game wishes that there wasn't a track there. His a$$ got slid across that thing!!
The track isn't going anywhere since land is scarce up in Boone.

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2007, 02:07 PM
The track isn't going anywhere since land is scarce up in Boone.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure where they'd put a new track facility...

WVAPPmountaineer
December 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM
i think itd be pretty neat to have seats on the east side in the upper deck, should be pretty high up there if its an overhang.

We moved our season tickets over to the East (STATE) side several years ago because we sit right across from the band - it makes it great to hear the band and the roar from the APP side - One thing to keep in mind - it can get very hot over there especially early in the season

WUTNDITWAA
December 18th, 2007, 02:37 PM

That goes to show you how popular Appalachian football has become. :D

Has JMU announced anything about a Bridgforth expansion? I'd love to get some tickets for next year's game in Harrisonburg, but without a SRO hill, I figure that will be a tough ticket.

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM
That goes to show you how popular Appalachian football has become. :D

Has JMU announced anything about a Bridgforth expansion? I'd love to get some tickets for next year's game in Harrisonburg, but without a SRO hill, I figure that will be a tough ticket.

We're ALWAYS talking about expansion...

Full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

At any rate, I don't think any expansion will take place before the the game. It will be a tough ticket particularly from an ASU standpoint (they will probably give you guys one section, which will account for maybe 500 tickets).

I'm hoping to pick up season tickets as soon as possible.

WUTNDITWAA
December 18th, 2007, 02:43 PM
We're ALWAYS talking about expansion...

Full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

At any rate, I don't think any expansion will take place before the the game. It will be a tough ticket particularly from an ASU standpoint (they will probably give you guys one section, which will account for maybe 500 tickets).

I'm hoping to pick up season tickets as soon as possible.

Oh well. I probably don't give enough or have a son on the team to be one of the 500 lucky ones. Hopefully it will be on some television network not named CSS.

ASUG8
December 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM
That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure where they'd put a new track facility...

I've never been to JMU - when they covered the track, did they add more seats closer to the field or do you still have the distance we have to the sidelines?

UDBlueLotFan
December 18th, 2007, 02:52 PM

urrgh...a track.xnonox Other than that, looks first rate xthumbsupx Any thought of just getting rid of the track team like UNH baseball xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I've never been to JMU - when they covered the track, did they add more seats closer to the field or do you still have the distance we have to the sidelines?

We've still got the distance. The athletic performance center covers turns 3&4 (I think) and there is a white over the straightaways. Stands cover turns 1&2.

Part of our never-ending talk of expansion is putting stands on the track.

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2007, 02:58 PM
urrgh...a track.xnonox Other than that, looks first rate xthumbsupx Any thought of just getting rid of the track team like UNH baseball xeyebrowx

Nope, too much NCAA success in track. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
December 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM
The kidd brewer expansion will mos def be an overhang... i.e. not a replica of the home side like that you tube video shows...

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Here's an aerial view.

mtnralum
December 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
The original plan called for all the weight room and locker room stuff to built in to that new Owens Field House, but they decided to move all that into the new complex on the West side with all the suite's.

This begs the question, are they going to create an entrance tunnel to the field from the new locker rooms or is the football team going to continue to run out of the tunnel from Owens?

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2007, 04:11 PM
This begs the question, are they going to create an entrance tunnel to the field from the new locker rooms or is the football team going to continue to run out of the tunnel from Owens?

i think they should circle around the back and come down the grass hill......and maybe even put a rock at the top of the hill so we can be like clemsonxthumbsupx

bamamountaineer1013
December 18th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I thought the last I heard they weren't gonna do the overhang, and just have it mirror

ASUG8
December 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Here's an aerial view.

Gotcha - thanks! We'll see it up close next season!

ERASU2113
December 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM

No cause our track team is pretty good. Usually always send someone to regionals/nationals. Always in the top 2-3 in the SoCon.

blackNgold93
December 18th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I hope the "State" side expansion mirrors the "App" side. I think it makes it look like there was always intention to build it and that it was a part of the original design. Also, if there is ever the need to expand further and close in the end zone, the upper stands would meet as a horse shoe.

ERASU2113
December 18th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I hope the "State" side expansion mirrors the "App" side. I think it makes it look like there was always intention to build it and that it was a part of the original design. Also, if there is ever the need to expand further and close in the end zone, the upper stands would meet as a horse shoe.

Think it is going to look morel ike wbat Boise State has rather than being a horse shoe in the future.

appstate38
December 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Let me just give a shout out to the JMU Dukes... I have always thought your stadium setup right smack in the middle of campus was awesome. Beautiful campus!!!

blackNgold93
December 18th, 2007, 06:35 PM

The paved area around the field is only a "track" in the Spring. In the Fall it is mostly used as a parade ground for National Championship trophies. xcoolx

Applete
December 18th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I hope we get more lights. I don't think 4 sets are enough, it's too yellow looking right now. I think 8 sets would be good with lights in the corners of the stadium, like Chatty.

jonmac
December 18th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I'm excited about stadium enhancement. Let's just give it some time and I thin things will be tip top.

AppMan
December 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM

A picture of the field was taken and the proposed facility was dropped on to it. Notice the pad at the high jump pit. The track will eventually go, but with a price tag of nealy $1.5 mil due to extensive site prep work, it will be a while. The best bet would be when the turf is replaced in 4-5 years. Our field still has a crown on it and the AD has said he would like to level the field when the new turf is installed. It would be an excellent opportunity to dig out the field and extend the lower seating levels closer to the field.

AppMan
December 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I hope we get more lights. I don't think 4 sets are enough, it's too yellow looking right now. I think 8 sets would be good with lights in the corners of the stadium, like Chatty.

The new facility will have new light towers.

ERASU2113
December 18th, 2007, 08:34 PM

Where was that picture found?

thmst30
December 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Where was that picture found?

http://goasu.com/page/176/

Has all the info you can find right now.

HighRyder08
December 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM
now the question is when is all of this going to be completed? theyve been working on the new cafeteria for over a year now and still havent finished.....its gonna take FOREVER

Touchdown Yosef
December 19th, 2007, 11:00 AM

where did this picture come from? I know it is not on the facilities enhancement page. Anyway that looks amazing with a new field house and the walkway above the entrance. I'm sure this hasn't all been slated to be done but any word on when they want to replace the field house? Great picture.

asu7
December 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM
APP MAN ... do you really think they will move the track?? ...

It would be a perfect to time to lower the field and bring the stands closer to field and close it all in ...

I just do not see them moving the track ... Track and field is awesome at ASU and I do not think they should have to share the spotlight with any sport and they should have their own championship facility ... but I just do not see it happening ...

But I know you are in the know and would love it if this came from a liable source ...

you can pm me if you do not want it to get out ... I would love to know if this is gonna happen!

ur2k
December 19th, 2007, 11:09 AM
A picture of the field was taken and the proposed facility was dropped on to it. Notice the pad at the high jump pit. The track will eventually go, but with a price tag of nealy $1.5 mil due to extensive site prep work, it will be a while. The best bet would be when the turf is replaced in 4-5 years. Our field still has a crown on it and the AD has said he would like to level the field when the new turf is installed. It would be an excellent opportunity to dig out the field and extend the lower seating levels closer to the field.

you reminded me of something that I noticed at the Semifinal game a few weeks back. Why such a pronouced crown on the field - it looks like the center of the field is a hill?

Rekdiver
December 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM
4,000 seats will be added to the east side and it is supposed to be ready for 08. That statement precludes an upper deck. That would take longer.

Appinator
December 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I would say that too. However, going from $32 million as a budget for the entire campus athletic enhancement budget to over $50 million would lead me to believe that this will be a deck left with spaces for further additions that are in that picture from 2003. That 46% increase will not go into something that will be as basic as the home side seats.

This is just probably the infamous ASU construction bait and switch. The student union has been under construction for the past 5 years. It will be as nice as it can be, but it will still be under construction by the start of the next season.

Touchdown Yosef
December 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I feel like there will be a second level in the new stands for this reason. I know that they are putting extra student seating on that side and a second level would allow for alumni and families to be seperated from all the craziness that can be the student section. This may be of some concern to the people in charge. Just a thought.

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I feel like there will be a second level in the new stands for this reason. I know that they are putting extra student seating on that side and a second level would allow for alumni and families to be seperated from all the craziness that can be the student section. This may be of some concern to the people in charge. Just a thought.

This may be an excellent answer to the problem. xnodx

Applete
December 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM

That is still the same amount of lights that we have now. I WANT MOORE!!!!:)

appstate38
December 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM
My hope is that they move the retired jerseys to a more prominent place with the stadium... They weren't very noticable this year on the wall of the Home stands. I would like to see them displayed on the wall that holds the National Championship Banner or have something build that will be visible from all over the stadium.

Homegrown Hillbilly
December 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM

I'm with you, here. I think everyone would enjoy the games more if the student section was separated. Students wouldn't have to worry about standing up during the game and blocking the view of more reserved fans who prefer to sit. Also, it would be great if young fans, ladies, and big money donors aren't subjected to the coarse language synonymous with a spirited student after a handful of cocktails.

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I'm with you, here. I think everyone would enjoy the games more if the student section was separated. Students wouldn't have to worry about standing up during the game and blocking the view of more reserved fans who prefer to sit. Also, it would be great if young fans, ladies, and big money donors aren't subjected to the coarse language synonymous with a spirited student after a handful of cocktails.
Why should fans be worried about standing during a football game? xconfusedx

Touchdown Yosef
December 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM
My hope is that they move the retired jerseys to a more prominent place with the stadium... They weren't very noticable this year on the wall of the Home stands. I would like to see them displayed on the wall that holds the National Championship Banner or have something build that will be visible from all over the stadium.

If there is a second level built the perfect place would be on the overhang for everyone to see, like it is in most NFL stadiums. Good idea to make them more visable. Is there any standard period of time to wait before we retire a jersey? I can't think of any numbers that should be retired quicker than 7 or 47. Especially with Richie still attending games when he can.

appstate38
December 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM
If there is a second level built the perfect place would be on the overhang for everyone to see, like it is in most NFL stadiums. Good idea to make them more visable. Is there any standard period of time to wait before we retire a jersey? I can't think of any numbers that should be retired quicker than 7 or 47. Especially with Richie still attending games when he can.

What about #28... I think we could find room for the all time leading rusher in ASU history.... At least till AE graduates.

Touchdown Yosef
December 19th, 2007, 03:58 PM
What about #28... I think we could find room for the all time leading rusher in ASU history.... At least till AE graduates.

Yes, of course 28. Although if it were up to me I'd retire so many numbers that we wouldn't have any left to use, starting with 15.

Homegrown Hillbilly
December 19th, 2007, 04:01 PM

I am in favor of standing during the game. I stand during the entire game each week. I also understand that we have some older fans or perhaps someone with an ailness or handicap that prevents them from standing up during the game.

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I am in favor of standing during the game. I stand during the entire game each week. I also understand that we have some older fans or perhaps someone with an ailness or handicap that prevents them from standing up during the game.
I just know that I got the stink-eye from some App fans at the Elon game this season because I was standing and cheering for my team. And this was when the outcome was definitely in question. xsmhx

tarmac
December 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM

standing is great, I just don't see a need to stand on the seats like some are prone to do which then requires the people behind them to do likewise. Throw in the people that feel a need to hold up a paper sign on each play and it gets annoying.

proasu89
December 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM

THIS OLD ALUM DON'T SITxnonono2x AND HE ISN'T RESERVED EITHER. :p Well maybe during long TV timeouts and in between quarters. Sometimes while the BOD in on the field at halftime but I usually get brought back to my feet during their performances.

The Moody1
December 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Maybe so that some of our vertically challenged fans can see the game. :D

Hollywood
December 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I stood the whole time in the grass area during the Richmond game, so sorry to anyone's view behind me that I blocked ;)

Also, it's great to stand during a cold game, your body isn't so stiff when you try to leave at the end of the game (or in my case that night, rush to the ticket window to stand in line).

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
standing is great, I just don't see a need to stand on the seats like some are prone to do which then requires the people behind them to do likewise. Throw in the people that feel a need to hold up a paper sign on each play and it gets annoying.
Yeah, the seats are for sitting. I won't stand on the seats, but I will stand and cheer (no smack toward the opposing team xnonox ) for my team while the game is going on. xnodx

asu7
December 20th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I just hope they build it to expand even more ... and not just a one time expansion!

Appinator
December 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I would think that they would update goasu.com soon. I was listening to the pre-game radio stuff on my way up to Boone for the semi's, which was the day that the expansion got approved. Cobb was being interviewed by David Jackson and he jokingly mentioned being frustrated that "the architects couldn't draw lines fast enough" for him. Logically, they will get the renderings and plans, have some time off for the Christmas break, and then post it there so we can all drool over it until September rolls around.

YosefASU3
December 20th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted something about this exact point or not as I am new to the boards. But while surfing goasu.com last night (when I should have been sleeping) I ran across the naming opportunities for all of the new facilities. The one opportunity that really struck me was North Stands End Zone (1 - $500,000)
. So that as many people know would be where the current Owens Field House is structured. If the East side will in fact be built with an upper deck that hangs over the lower deck, how would you integrate the west side with the east side? Here's the link to read for yourself (http://www.goasu.com/subPage/51/).