PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs for the SWAC?

Mr. Tiger
December 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Jackson State athletic director Bob Braddy says JSU is seeking more than conference championships, the school wants to compete on a national level and JSU cannot be bound by the Bayou Classic. This is the first public statement from him on this issue.

Here are a few quotes from the story....

Braddy made sure to point out that Saturday was just the beginning.

"We're not just focused on being competitive in the SWAC," Braddy said. "Our ambition ... is to play with the Appalachian States and top-tier I-AA programs. "We have work to do at home first."

"We can't be satisfied with just winning a SWAC championship and that's it. What Jackson State is going to do in the future can't be bound by the Bayou Classic. I know we want to play for national recognition."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...46/1073/SPORTS

GannonFan
December 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Wow, big statements. I would assume that he'd also be talking about the SWAC title game as well since that's what really prevents the SWAC, other than Grambling and Southern, from getting back into the playoffs,

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2007, 11:46 AM
The message is clear to him -- his program is losing recruits and credibility because other schools are telling their prospective student-athletes that they can not compete for the national championship.

People are recruiting negatively against the SWAC because of such and I think that ammunition continues to grow because the FCS is gaining ground publicity-wise and a large part of that can be accredited to Appalachian State's success against Michigan and in the Div I playoffs...

We saw that one ODU recruit pull out of a MAC school because he wanted the more exposure that came from competing for a national championship at a CAA school compared to the exposure that comes from a MAC school.

bluehenbillk
December 18th, 2007, 11:50 AM
That move might hurt the SWAC if they were exposed to be the frauds that the MEAC is.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2007, 11:51 AM
"We're not just focused on being competitive in the SWAC," Braddy said. "Our ambition ... is to play with the Appalachian States and top-tier I-AA programs.

"We have work to do at home first."

Implying that to him, the SWAC is not top-tier... xeyebrowx

Could the following be a part of the SWAC's future? (in a comment posted below the article):

Southern, Grambling and Alabama State should be independents for football and compete in the SWAC for all other sports.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
If the SWAC opened their doors to the playoffs, would they be willing to upgrade their schedule? Some schools seem willing and able, others (UAPB going to Henderson St) do not. If you ask me, AQ is the only way we see a consistent SWAC presence, unless the conference as a whole, upgraded their schedule. I think entrance into the playoffs would drastically impact recruiting.

Big Dawg
December 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
That move might hurt the SWAC if they were exposed to be the frauds that the MEAC is.

This ain't the smack board azz clown...

Mr. Tiger
December 18th, 2007, 11:53 AM

This is NOT about the MEAC so please don't bring another conference into this thread. The MEAC is the MEAC and the SWAC is the SWAC. Just like the CAA is the CAA and the OVC is the OVC.

Big Dawg
December 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
This is NOT about the MEAC so please don't bring another conference into this thread. The MEAC is the MEAC and the SWAC is the SWAC. Just like the CAA is the CAA and the OVC is the OVC.

THANK YOU

OL FU
December 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Why would'nt the SWAC be like other conferences as far as OOC. Everyone in the Patriot doesn't play a good OOC.

I would love to see it happen but as long as the schedules conflicts the SWAC is not giving up the money (and who can blame them) for the playoffs.

jstate83
December 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
The message is clear to him -- his program is losing recruits and credibility because other schools are telling their prospective student-athletes that they can not compete for the national championship.

Dude.
We ain't losing no recruit's over not going to the playoff's.xlolx

We got player's that we outrecruited Houston and USM for that won't play until this comming year. xlolx
Got another that was considering TULSA. xlolx
People at JSU are there because of JSU.

Braddy just the first AD at one of the bigger school's in our conference to say out loud what nobody has been able to figure out.

We had 25 recruit's sitting on the front row for the Alcorn game alone. xthumbsupx

BUT...........................Getting back to the story.

Shall we say the first CRACK in the armor has developed by him pubically calling for a solution without losing the NBC contract.
Too much money involved just to throw it away?

jstate83
December 18th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Ya'll have already been exposed as frauds and fakes the way ya'll got your arses handed to ya Friday night. xthumbsupx

Admit the fact people like you don't want us in the playoff's to begin with so don't act like it's a big deal.
That's one reason on the other hand we say ***** the playoff's. xnodx

jstate83
December 18th, 2007, 12:09 PM
This ain't the smack board azz clown...

Dude.
They alway's acting like they want us to compete in the playoff's so bad yet their true feeling alway's shine through in a few post's.xlolx

Mr. Tiger
December 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Dude.

We got player's that we outrecruited Houston and USM for that won't play until this comming year. xlolx
Got another that was considering TULSA. xlolx
People at JSU are there because of JSU.

Braddy just the first AD at one of the bigger school's in our conference to say out loud what nobody has been able to figure out.

We had 25 recruit's sitting on the front row for the Alcorn game alone. xthumbsupx

BUT...........................Getting back to the story.

Shall we say the first CRACK in the armor has developed by him pubically calling for a solution without losing the NBC contract.
Too much money involved just to throw it away?

Exactly, Comegy is doing just fine recruiting. Matter of fact, our star QB Jimmy Oliver was offered scholarships by South Florida and Louisiana Tech. Winning is what attracts recruits. If we win the SWAC, we attract recruits. If we win in non-conference play against good FCS teams, whether its the playoffs or regular season, we attract recruits.

Braddy is just stating what many JSU fans have said before, we want Southern and Grambling to continue their tradition with the Bayou Classic because we respect it and it brings in exposure and money, but JSU can't be held back from our mission to improve our program and gain national exposure. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Jackson State.....

...... replacing Samford in the OVC?

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

jstate83
December 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Jackson State.....

UHHHH.............NO. .xnonox
No point in switching from 1 FCS conference to another.

In our position, we would do better to go INDI and schedule teams in FCS that will bring in 40,000 or more for every game and keep all the money we bring in in ticket sales if talk of leaving comes up.

The OVC didn't do a thing for TSU except hurt their bottom line..............$$$$$$$$$$$$$. xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
UHHHH.............NO. .xnonox

Why not? JSU would get an opportunity to play TSU every year, get an opportunity to play more FBS/elite FCS games, AND qualify for the playoffs. Doesn't the OVC do everything you're describing? xthumbsupx xlolx

jstate83
December 18th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Why not? JSU would get an opportunity to play TSU every year, get an opportunity to play more FBS/elite FCS games, AND qualify for the playoffs. Doesn't the OVC do everything you're describing? xthumbsupx xlolx

We play TSU every year now in front of 55,000 plus in the Liberty bowl for the SHC.
The 2 school's just signed another contract with the Liberty Bowl and Memphis to keep the game going for year's to come.

Tell me what has the OVC done for TSU after being in that conference all these years?
They still have to schedule "money games" with JSU, FAMU, etc because other OVC teams FANS in the OVC DO NOT TRAVEL TO TSU FOR GAMES.
Now they have added Southern.xnodx

As for us playing other teams in FCS?
That's what doing away with the 9 game mandate will allow us to do.xlolx xthumbsupx

813Jag
December 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM
We play TSU every year now in front of 55,000 plus in the Liberty bowl for the SHC.
The 2 school's just signed another contract with the Liberty Bowl and Memphis to keep the game going for year's to come.

Tell me what has the OVC done for TSU after being in that conference all these years?
They still have to schedule "money games" with JSU, FAMU, etc because other OVC teams FANS in the OVC DO NOT TRAVEL TO TSU FOR GAMES.
Now they have added Southern.xnodx

As for us playing other teams in FCS?
That's what doing away with the 9 game mandate will allow us to do.xlolx xthumbsupx
That's basically the same situation TSU is in and they haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. So it's not that big a difference.

Retro
December 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
The question you have to ask is? Is staying with the status quo, putting your program in the direction you want?

I know some SWAC teams want to keep traditional games alive with huge crowds, but i do believe with a more competitive program on the national level, you will make up for it with more money donated to the program..

If you drop say a game at a neutral site with 40,000 fans, but have a home and home with the same or another FCS team, your going to net more money with the home game and not have to worry about sponsors taking their cut. Especially if you already draw well at home.. Plus with season ticket sales, your guaranteed the money even if bad weather..

Of course when you travel to that team, you don't get anything, but that could be where a big FBS game comes in to balance things out.. Not only that, there is no promotion like winning... Mcneese has seen some substantial donations to the program in the last 2 seasons..

eaglesrthe1
December 18th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Could the following be a part of the SWAC's future? (in a comment posted below the article):

I wouldn't read it that way. There are 10-15 top-tier programs
in the country that come from various conferences. It reads to me that he wants to branch out a little in the OOC schedule and play some of these programs... an example being ASU. It doesn't reflect on the SWAC, nor imply that he doesn't think that there are none of these programs within the SWAC.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Dude.

TT is in his own little world. xlolx I know last season's signing class SU beat out FBS schools on 7 recruits. xthumbsupx

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
The question you have to ask is? Is staying with the status quo, putting your program in the direction you want?

I know some SWAC teams want to keep traditional games alive with huge crowds, but i do believe with a more competitive program on the national level, you will make up for it with more money donated to the program..

If you drop say a game at a neutral site with 40,000 fans, but have a home and home with the same or another FCS team, your going to net more money with the home game and not have to worry about sponsors taking their cut. Especially if you already draw well at home.. Plus with season ticket sales, your guaranteed the money even if bad weather..

Of course when you travel to that team, you don't get anything, but that could be where a big FBS game comes in to balance things out.. Not only that, there is no promotion like winning... Mcneese has seen some substantial donations to the program in the last 2 seasons..

This is real funny to me. Compare SU, JSU, Alabama State or most of the Swac's budget to McNeese,Nicholls, or Northwestern's budgets.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM
People are recruiting negatively against the SWAC because of such and I think that ammunition continues to grow because the FCS is gaining ground publicity-wise and a large part of that can be accredited to Appalachian State's success against Michigan and in the Div I playoffs...

People are recruiting negatively against the Southland for its lack of a Black head coach in football. xnodx Swac has a track record of hiring former players as coaches.

Retro
December 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
This is real funny to me. Compare SU, JSU, Alabama State or most of the Swac's budget to McNeese,Nicholls, or Northwestern's budgets.

I don't have the figures in front of me, but i'm sure southern's revenue is up there as are their expenses.. That being said, how much are you actually making after the fact and how much has your program benefited because of it?

Even if you have raking in ton's of money, are your facilities top notch already? If not, then when? If you've been doing so well for so long, then why don't you have the best in the nation?

After that, what is the goal of your program, to just be competitive in the SWAC or among HBCU schools?

The ultimate question is....... Do you want to build a championship program at the national level or just make money that the kids playing never really see?

Retro
December 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM
People are recruiting negatively against the Southland for its lack of a Black head coach in football. xnodx Swac has a track record of hiring former players as coaches.

If that's the kind of recruiting you have to do, then you can have it.. We sign players that want the opportunity ever year to win a national title as well as a conference title and make the grade academically.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM
TT is in his own little world. xlolx I know last season's signing class SU beat out FBS schools on 7 recruits. xthumbsupx

That seems about right...every FCS school in the nation seems to "beat out" FBS schools for recruits every year. The folks in San Marcos talk yearly about beating out WAC, C-USA and even Big XII schools...

That's just how it goes. Some do it to stay close to home, others for playing time, others due to academic issues (which explains some large recruiting classes for a few schools)...

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 18th, 2007, 05:49 PM
If that's the kind of recruiting you have to do, then you can have it.. We sign players that want the opportunity ever year to win a national title as well as a conference title and make the grade academically.

So its alright for you to use negative recruiting but when its turned on you its a big problem. Funny.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM

SLC has a track record of hiring former players as well as dominating the SWAC in every sport that the conference is willing to schedule our teams in...xnodx

What's your point? SWAC promotes the "HBCU experience" and playing for the SWAC title. Southland schools talk about playing big-time foes (SLC teams have played ACC, Big East, SEC and Big XII foes -- SWAC sticks to C-USA, Sun Belt, WAC) in big time facilities and playing for a national title. Additionally, most SLC schools can promote video boards, improved strength and conditioning facilities and such -- in addition to actually playing more than two or three home games.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM
SLC has a track record of hiring former players as well as dominating the SWAC in every sport that the conference is willing to schedule our teams in...xnodx

What's your point? SWAC promotes the "HBCU experience" and playing for the SWAC title. Southland schools talk about playing big-time foes (SLC teams have played ACC, Big East, SEC and Big XII foes -- SWAC sticks to C-USA, Sun Belt, WAC) in big time facilities and playing for a national title. Additionally, most SLC schools can promote video boards, improved strength and conditioning facilities and such -- in addition to actually playing more than two or three home games.

What former player black football coach has the SLC hired.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
What former player black football coach has the SLC hired.

I said former player -- never said anything about hiring a black coach.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 18th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I said former player -- never said anything about hiring a black coach.

Thats what I was saying. xlolx Who in the southland has better facilites than Jackson State. Let me answer that. None. Who in the southland will have better facilities than SU after construction is complete. Let me answer that none..

Retro
December 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
So its alright for you to use negative recruiting but when its turned on you its a big problem. Funny.

What's negative about wanting to play for the things i mentioned? Not to mention this year we have more positive things to add: New Turf, New Fieldhouse, New Weights, etc..

jstate83
December 18th, 2007, 06:30 PM

I still don't see your point.
We play over half our games at HOME.
Tennessee State is the only Classic we travel to.

You can't show me 1 facility ya'll got that we can't top.
Starting with this one SINCE IT'S YOUR BIG NUTT in the basket:

http://www.2-tickets.com/venues/MississippiVeteransMemorialStadium.gif
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Mississippi_Veterans_Memorial_Stadium.jpg/800px-Mississippi_Veterans_Memorial_Stadium.jpg
Jumbo tron, monitor's below the stadium so you don't miss any on field action at the concession stand, unlimited parking and tailgating, 2 Grass Groves, etc.
We take that one over completely next season and the killing part is, the plan's for our ON-Campus stadium is still in the mix. xlolx

You wanna go to baseball or basketball facilities next?
Track?
Tennis?
Softball?
How about the training facilities.
Hell TT.....................Let's just post campus buildings since you this obsessed. xlolx

Man.................Your obsession, (hate), with the SWAC is not good for your blood pressure.xnonox
Every 2 minutes you posting about a conference you claim not to be worried about.
We don't post or try to run SLC business so why do you think anything you say about the SWAC is taken for anything other than amusement. xlolx

JohnStOnge
December 18th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Only thing I'll say about the whole thing is I think you have to be very careful about believing stories about who your school "beat out" in terms of recruiting.

jstate83
December 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Only thing I'll say about the whole thing is I think you have to be very careful about believing stories about who your school "beat out" in terms of recruiting.

Dude.................I believe what comes out a recruit's mouth when he has 3 hat's in a bag and pull's out JSU after shat has been reported on and followed for weeks.

Ya'll brought this crap up talking about how we losing recruit's all of a sudden because YA'LL say so.xnodx
NONE of ya'll know nothing about the working of any of these school's yet ya'll expert's on us. xlolx

I just pointed out that we had recruit's that went to the last day saying Houston, Tulsa, USM, or JSU.
They chose JSU.

But I understand.
No matter what we SWAC/HBCU poster's say, ya'll's word is still GOD's law. xlolx

jstate83
December 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM
What's your point? SWAC promotes the "HBCU experience" and playing for the SWAC title. Southland schools talk about playing big-time foes

And I saw your BIG TIME foe's.
He!!........................Texas and Texas Tech are the only one's.

And in Texas Tech's case, if they scored 80 freaking point's on me, I would not use that as a recruiting tool.xlolx
56 by Texas was bad enough but 80 freaking point's and you bragging about playing them.xlolx
Texas Tech probably didn't run over 2 defensive set's the whole game on ya'll in that scrimmage. xlolx

Houston and Oklohoma State play USM but as you said, SWAC stick's to C-USA. xlolx
And that power school Baylor is a must see.xnodx

TT................You really need to think before you post in hate sometimes. xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 18th, 2007, 06:48 PM
What's negative about wanting to play for the things i mentioned? Not to mention this year we have more positive things to add: New Turf, New Fieldhouse, New Weights, etc..

SU fieldhouse is 15 million compared to your 6 million renovation. Construction is starting in January. Plus we just completed new apartment style dorms on our campus. Forgot about the construction on the new rec center. Check this out http://members.cox.net/trey636/BOND%20PROJECT.pdf . Back to sports facilities. SU's sand based field cost a million dollars. Lsu just got the same surface installed. Grass is better for the knees xlolx . SU just got new weights when the current state of the art weightroom in the MiniDome was renovated.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Do you believe rivals. xlolx

Tribe4SF
December 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Only one I'm aware of is Shawn Sailor. Who are the other six?

JohnStOnge
December 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Dude.................I believe what comes out a recruit's mouth when he has 3 hat's in a bag and pull's out JSU after shat has been reported on and followed for weeks.

Ya'll brought this crap up talking about how we losing recruit's all of a sudden because YA'LL say so.

I wasn't part of "y'all." All I'm saying is that it's very common for recruits to say they were recruited by X and Y and Z. Almost every year you can find stories about how some recruit "chose" something like Louisiana Tech over something like LSU.

If you want to believe that kind of thing, fine. I don't.

I'd rather hope that the FCS program I pull for knows how to identify diamonds in the rough.

Mr. Tiger
December 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I wasn't part of "y'all." All I'm saying is that it's very common for recruits to say they were recruited by X and Y and Z. Almost every year you can find stories about how some recruit "chose" something like Louisiana Tech over something like LSU.

If you want to believe that kind of thing, fine. I don't.

I'd rather hope that the FCS program I pull for knows how to identify diamonds in the rough.

It happens. Check the recruiting services. We have several players that were offered scholarships at FBS schools. USM and Jackson State always battle over recruits. We lose some and we win some. Jackson State's stadium is better. Our fan support is better and we get very good press in the largest newspaper in the state because we are located in the capital city. Jackson State has led FCS in home attendance more times than any other FCS school so some kids are attracted to playing in a stadium that seats 60,000 in front of good crowds. We also have put more than 100 players in the NFL. Now, can we win battles with Ole Miss or LSU, NO, but we can win some against CUSA, Sun Belt, and WAC schools.

Retro
December 18th, 2007, 10:23 PM
SU fieldhouse is 15 million compared to your 6 million renovation. Construction is starting in January. Plus we just completed new apartment style dorms on our campus. Forgot about the construction on the new rec center. Check this out http://members.cox.net/trey636/BOND%20PROJECT.pdf . Back to sports facilities. SU's sand based field cost a million dollars. Lsu just got the same surface installed. Grass is better for the knees xlolx . SU just got new weights when the current state of the art weightroom in the MiniDome was renovated.

Just because something cost more, doesn't mean it's better?xrolleyesx Mcneese actually has new plans for it's fieldhouse not yet unveiled and since all the money is in place there are some suttle changes.. Mcneese already has a nice rec center and new student housing was completed 4 years ago.. xcoffeex

Grass is better than anything if it holds up, but even LSU's field is in terrible shape after a good rain.. Mcneese is getting a top notch turf with a whole new foundation put in. It will be the nicest field in the SLC and Louisiana including LSU.:D

I will say you guys look like you have some good plan's, so it will be interesting to see it all when done..

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Just because something cost more, doesn't mean it's better?This has got to be the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. :D

xrolleyesx Mcneese actually has new plans for it's fieldhouse not yet unveiled and since all the money is in place there are some suttle changes.. Mcneese already has a nice rec center and new student housing was completed 4 years ago.. xcoffeex

Grass is better than anything if it holds up, but even LSU's field is in terrible shape after a good rain.. Mcneese is getting a top notch turf with a whole new foundation put in. It will be the nicest field in the SLC and Louisiana including LSU.:D

I will say you guys look like you have some good plan's, so it will be interesting to see it all when done..
SU also already completed 4 new dorms a couple of years ago. These are apartment style dorms that are just being completed. SU's field is better than LSU's. SU's field is sand based and can absorb 20 inch of rain an hour. You can build a whole lot more with 15 million compared to 6 million. xlolx

McNeese_beat
December 19th, 2007, 01:12 AM

That was my idea...who else had that idea? I think that's a win-win for everybody. The SWAC can play in the playoffs with a nine-team league and the league can enter some sort of competition contract with the three schools playing an independent schedule so they can maintain their rivalries.

So you still have a Bayou Classic AND the SWAC in the playoffs. I think that would be beneficial for programs in the SWAC that don't benefit from a lucrative Thanksgiving Weekend game OR a chance at a meaningful post-season.

McNeese_beat
December 19th, 2007, 01:21 AM
That seems about right...every FCS school in the nation seems to "beat out" FBS schools for recruits every year. The folks in San Marcos talk yearly about beating out WAC, C-USA and even Big XII schools...

That's just how it goes. Some do it to stay close to home, others for playing time, others due to academic issues (which explains some large recruiting classes for a few schools)...

What happens a lot is an FCS school will offer early while the FBS is playing wait and see, then the FBS might come in late after their "A-list" players chose someone else and often the kids stick with the FCS schools that offered them earlier.

Good example...last year McNeese gets an early January commitment from a DB from Texas City. In early February, a couple of kids that TCU and Rice had offered and were hoping on fell through so they came back and offer the Texas City kid last minute. Sometimes, a kid will take the FBS offer when it comes back. In this case, Robinson stuck with his commitment and signed with the team that believed in him from the beginning. So McNeese can sit back and say they beat TCU and Rice on a recruit.

Happens all the time. Probably more often than not, the kid ends up at the FBS school with the last-minute offer, but not all the time.

An opposite story: Tank English from John Curtis gets recruited by several state schools and ULM think's they are going to get him (not sure if they got a commitment) as did Tulane. But after the dust starts to clear and some second-tier BCS schools figure out who they AREN'T going to get, Ole Miss and Arizona State come back and offer the kid and last minute, he leaves the state schools behind and signs with Arizona State.

There are lots of nuances and long backstories in recruiting. It's rarely as simple as he picked school A over school B...

Another case locally, leaving out names.

Star safety is offered by FCS 1 and FCS 2. He likes FCS 1, but wants to wait around and see if he gets late interest from FBS schools. FCS 1 is a hot program and they tell the kid they have 10 offers out for DBs and they're going to take the first five commitments that come in.
Well, mid-December roles around and FCS 1 already has its five commitments. Now the star safety has just one offer on the table (FCS 2) and none of the FBS teams have offered. So he signs with FCS 2 out of fear of being left out altogether if he doesn't take the offer now.

McNeese_beat
December 19th, 2007, 01:27 AM

SWAC facilities vary widely. I thought the facilities at Alcorn, Grambling and Southern were very nice. Nice press boxes, scoreboards, stadium settings, etc. I've heard that other places like Texas Southern, Prairie View, Pine Bluff and Valley are lacking.

Some facilities are probably as nice as anywhere in the SLC, maybe nicer. Definitely bigger. Some are worse than the most modest SLC stadiums.

HIU 93
December 19th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Man.................Your obsession, (hate), with the SWAC is not good for your blood pressure.xnonox
Every 2 minutes you posting about a conference you claim not to be worried about.
We don't post or try to run SLC business so why do you think anything you say about the SWAC is taken for anything other than amusement. xlolx

That's the thing. That is their defense. "We don't care about the SWAC/MEAC/HBCUs..."

Then they post threads about what we haven't done or (in the SWAC's case) why don't we participate in the playoffs, or how our schools are terrible, or that we shouldn't celebrate the SBN Black College Championship, or any other myriad of things.

It's that same paternalistic, "I must control everything" attitude that they have with everything else in life.

They don't want us with them, but when we strike out on our own and succeed without them (and do so proudly), they boil with anger over it.

How dare any of us practice self determination? We should only do what they tell us.xlolx

Tribe4SF
December 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
That's the thing. That is their defense. "We don't care about the SWAC/MEAC/HBCUs..."

Then they post threads about what we haven't done or (in the SWAC's case) why don't we participate in the playoffs, or how our schools are terrible, or that we shouldn't celebrate the SBN Black College Championship, or any other myriad of things.

It's that same paternalistic, "I must control everything" attitude that they have with everything else in life.

They don't want us with them, but when we strike out on our own and succeed without them (and do so proudly), they boil with anger over it.

How dare any of us practice self determination? We should only do what they tell us.xlolx

Kinda crossed over into no man's land there friend! Who are you talking about? Jumped from jstate83's comments to TT to "they".

The words "anger" and "hate" were introduced to this thread by specific people. I'm usually with you on the issues you allude to, but in this case I think the shoe is on a different foot.

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I like that new dorm! xeekx

Golden Eagle
December 19th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Jackson State.....

Well, that's one option to consider. Morehead State is another. North Alabama, etc.

We'll examine all the applicants and decide which one adds value to the conference.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
SWAC facilities vary widely. I thought the facilities at Alcorn, Grambling and Southern were very nice. Nice press boxes, scoreboards, stadium settings, etc. I've heard that other places like Texas Southern, Prairie View, Pine Bluff and Valley are lacking.

Some facilities are probably as nice as anywhere in the SLC, maybe nicer. Definitely bigger. Some are worse than the most modest SLC stadiums.McNeese_beat you are alright with me. Pine Bluff has a brand new stadium with a new fieldhouse coming up as we speak. AAMU has really, really nice facilites also, along with Jackson State. Only TSU, PV, Valley are lacking in the facilities department.

eaglesrthe1
December 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Kinda crossed over into no man's land there friend! Who are you talking about? Jumped from jstate83's comments to TT to "they".

The words "anger" and "hate" were introduced to this thread by specific people. I'm usually with you on the issues you allude to, but in this case I think the shoe is on a different foot.

http://www.stanford-accommodation.co.za/images/fishing.jpg

xwhistlex xwhistlex Just wating on a nibble.

dcpsujag
December 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM
the swac got rid of the 9 game mandate for this very reason so the schools caan play the teams fom playoff confrences since we dont participate in the playoffs. i would really like to see southern play georgia southern. or one of the swac teams play app state.

McNeese_beat
December 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM
McNeese_beat you are alright with me. Pine Bluff has a brand new stadium with a new fieldhouse coming up as we speak. AAMU has really, really nice facilites also, along with Jackson State. Only TSU, PV, Valley are lacking in the facilities department.

Didn't TSU used to play at Robertson before UH "moved out" of the Astrodome? I guess that left TSU in a lurch.

McNeese_beat
December 19th, 2007, 10:57 PM
McNeese_beat you are alright with me. Pine Bluff has a brand new stadium with a new fieldhouse coming up as we speak. AAMU has really, really nice facilites also, along with Jackson State. Only TSU, PV, Valley are lacking in the facilities department.

Last time I saw UAPB, Gunslinger was still coaching...good lord, that must have been 89 or 90. They were an NAIA program.

mikebigg
December 20th, 2007, 06:16 AM
If the SWAC and Ivy participated in the playoffs, it might allow for a tv package with ESPN to cover each round of the playoffs. A lucrative enuff package might help alleviate or reduce the % paid to the NCAA by the host school.

The IVY's might be a tough sell...but the SWAC could probably be convinced to participate (absent the bid fee arrangement). I doubt if Gram/SU will change the Bayou Classic date... unfortunately, neither will the NCAA decide to move the start back one week. Some may see that as appeasing the SWAC, but it would benefit NCAA because students would be back on campus from the Thanksgiving holidays.

813Jag
December 20th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Didn't TSU used to play at Robertson before UH "moved out" of the Astrodome? I guess that left TSU in a lurch.
Yes they did, now they play games at their stadium (Durley)

Last time I saw UAPB, Gunslinger was still coaching...good lord, that must have been 89 or 90. They were an NAIA program.
They built a new stadium in 02, I think.

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM
If the SWAC and Ivy participated in the playoffs, it might allow for a tv package with ESPN to cover each round of the playoffs. A lucrative enuff package might help alleviate or reduce the % paid to the NCAA by the host school.

The IVY's might be a tough sell...but the SWAC could probably be convinced to participate (absent the bid fee arrangement). I doubt if Gram/SU will change the Bayou Classic date... unfortunately, neither will the NCAA decide to move the start back one week. Some may see that as appeasing the SWAC, but it would benefit NCAA because students would be back on campus from the Thanksgiving holidays.
The other problem with that is that they're expanding the number of playoff participants and therefore need another week for the playoffs. It'll be hard enough fitting them in between Thanksgiving and Christmas with 5 rounds without waiting until after Thanksgiving to start. xsmhx

Black and Gold Express
December 20th, 2007, 11:38 AM
"Our ambition ... is to play with the Appalachian States and top-tier I-AA programs. "We have work to do at home first."

I'm all for JSU to come on up to Boone in 2008. We got at least one hole to fill in the schedule.

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I'm all for JSU to come on up to Boone in 2008. We got at least one hole to fill in the schedule.
There, that's better. :D

mikebigg
December 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
The other problem with that is that they're expanding the number of playoff participants and therefore need another week for the playoffs. It'll be hard enough fitting them in between Thanksgiving and Christmas with 5 rounds without waiting until after Thanksgiving to start. xsmhx

Yeah, that would be a logistic problem... Gram.,SU., & Bama State is out of the equation. It's really up to the SWAC office and other teams about whether to forego the SCG.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 20th, 2007, 04:49 PM

We stopped playing at Robertson because of the fact that when the Houston Dynamos (professional soccer team) came to town; they paid the University of Houston $1.5M annually to sublease Robertson.

With natural grass stadium, there was no way UH officials would allow two teams outside of their own to play during the same time (fall semester).