PDA

View Full Version : Question to Ponder

PeacockRaider
December 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Now that the season is over, was wondering what people thought of this idea. When the NCAA made it a requirement for D1 schools to have D1 Fb teams it made many schools make the jump from D3 to D1. Some of the schools have made the jump and are beginning to thrive (Dayton). However a lot of schools (MAAC and others) believed playing fb at the bare bones of DI FCS was not money well spent and decided to cut their programs to reinvest in bb and other D1 sports. My question is this, to encourage schools to continue their fb programs, what if the NCAA passed a requirement that to be a Division 1 institution, you need to have a D 1 football program either FBS or FCS, with minimum funding requirements. Make sense to me, if you want to be big time with a chance to go to the NCAA bb tourney or hockey tourney, you have to pony up for football too. Schools in the MAAC may elect to go to D2, but maybe that's where they belong. Schools like Boston U would have a big decision to make. I just think if you want to be D 1, you should have a D 1 football team. Other wise it's too easy to just field D 1 basketball and soccer and not have football. THOUGHTS?

GannonFan
December 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
No reason to force people to have a DI football team. If they don't have one already, then there's probably very good reasons why they don't. If there's truly enough interest in having one, then a school would almost always buckle to the pressure of students and alumni and they would start one (see ODU, Georgia St, etc). There's very few schools out there without DI football teams that are fighting a tide of interest and refusing to field a football team. Enough people don't care enough to have one, and they don't, for the most part. xpeacex

FCS Preview
December 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Now that the season is over, was wondering what people thought of this idea. When the NCAA made it a requirement for D1 schools to have D1 Fb teams it made many schools make the jump from D3 to D1. Some of the schools have made the jump and are beginning to thrive (Dayton). However a lot of schools (MAAC and others) believed playing fb at the bare bones of DI FCS was not money well spent and decided to cut their programs to reinvest in bb and other D1 sports. My question is this, to encourage schools to continue their fb programs, what if the NCAA passed a requirement that to be a Division 1 institution, you need to have a D 1 football program either FBS or FCS, with minimum funding requirements. Make sense to me, if you want to be big time with a chance to go to the NCAA bb tourney or hockey tourney, you have to pony up for football too. Schools in the MAAC may elect to go to D2, but maybe that's where they belong. Schools like Boston U would have a big decision to make. I just think if you want to be D 1, you should have a D 1 football team. Other wise it's too easy to just field D 1 basketball and soccer and not have football. THOUGHTS?

No.
So St. John's would have to make a major football commitment (since they dropped their team a few years ago)?

Also DePaul, Marquette, Providence and Seton Hall?

D-I requires you to sponsor a certain number of teams. As long as they meet that, I have no problem with schools not playing football.

rb45070
December 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I guess I can see both sides. But one thing that does bother me is people who are in a conference for certain sports (ie the socon with davidson, who is in the pfl for football, and uncg fielding everything but football). Im sure there are completely logistical reasons that I do not have time to research. Same thing with Notre Dame. You are not too good to join a conference, hell it may get the Irish some more wins xsmiley_wix .

UNHWildCats
December 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I guess I can see both sides. But one thing that does bother me is people who are in a conference for certain sports (ie the socon with davidson, who is in the pfl for football, and uncg fielding everything but football). Im sure there are completely logistical reasons that I do not have time to research. Same thing with Notre Dame. You are not too good to join a conference, hell it may get the Irish some more wins xsmiley_wix .
ND not bei ng in a conference for football is all about the money.

Seahawks Fan
December 19th, 2007, 07:40 AM
If you want to encourage your school to revive their football program, start with the alumni. Get them to fund it. If there is a lack of interest there, that should tell you something.

Requiring the NCAA to mandate Division 1 football doesn't make any sense to me.

PeacockRaider
December 19th, 2007, 09:21 AM
If you want to encourage your school to revive their football program, start with the alumni. Get them to fund it. If there is a lack of interest there, that should tell you something.

Requiring the NCAA to mandate Division 1 football doesn't make any sense to me.

Unfortunately I think football at Saint Peter's is gone for good. If I hit the mega millions i could always fund it myself :) Fact is there isn't much alumni support for football. BB is the only sport there that has a following and most of them are old timers who remember the glory days of SPC basketball. The problem I see as more and more schools drop fb is that most schools look at the bottom line and see fb as losing money and for smaller schools that hurts. I commend schools like Wagner that have ponied up and supported 30 scholly's, but you have to be worried that one day the school will see fb as a drain and feel the fb money could be better spent spread over the rest of the athletics program. I guess my point is that with the amount of kids and money fb requires it's the easiest sport for an adimistration to cut. I just feel that if you are truely a D1 school you should have a D1 football program. There is too many St Mary's, Boston U, St Peter's, even ST Johns's and Seton HAll. No enough $ for football, than go D2. JMO

UAalum72
December 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
one day the school will see fb as a drain and feel the fb money could be better spent spread over the rest of the athletics program.
Is there any evidence that the money 'saved' from cutting football found its way to any other sports?

appfan2008
December 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I dont think there should be a requirement... as long as they meet the current requirements to be D1 they should be fine... no need to add additional ones that some schools can not financial support or dont have the alumni/student base to support...