PDA

View Full Version : The Princeton/Lafayette THREAD

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2005, 03:53 PM
This week I'm going to be covering the Princeton/Lafayette game. Lafayette is #21 in the AGS poll and Princeton is playing their season opener. Considering the Tigers beat the Leopards last year down in Princeton 35-18, you'd have to think that Lafayette is looking at this as a payback game.

At first blush, Princeton looks to me a middle-of-the-pack Ivy team, with brand-new key skill players on offense. Princeton fans: Any hope of another win this year? Lafayette fans: Think you have the edge this year?

RadMann
September 15th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I think there is one Lafayette poster on AGS, and unless I'm mistaken no Princeton posters, or at least not any I can recall seeing on here. This thread might be sparse to say the least...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2005, 07:43 PM
I think there is one Lafayette poster on AGS, and unless I'm mistaken no Princeton posters, or at least not any I can recall seeing on here. This thread might be sparse to say the least...

There are a couple here -- and I figured I'd try here first :)

Fordham
September 15th, 2005, 07:51 PM
hey, what's going on in here?

anyone?

beuller?

Pard94
September 16th, 2005, 08:00 AM
As one of three Lafayette posters...Let me say that I think Lafayette wins this one. The Leopard Defense looks as though they are just picking up where they left off. The offense needs to polish up a little bit but they have a couple of new kids on the OL and, as everyone knows, it generally takes the longest for an O-Line to gel as a unit. I am hoping they can use this weekend as an opportunity to make some strides on offense. Princeton will play hard and I don't think it will be a rout by any stretch but Lafayette should win with out too much trouble (KNOCK WOOD)

Whenever Lafayette plays Princeton I immediately recall when we played them back in 1992. Ketih Elias vs. Eric Marsh...what a frigging game! I think the 2 of them may have had 500 yards rushing combined. Princeton won because they had the ball last. Don't look for anything like that this weekend.

Pard94
September 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM
I'll also wager that Princeton has more octagenarians whereing orange blazers and silly hats walking around in the stands. Not that that is a bad thing!

Pard94
September 16th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I'll also wager that the Princeton fans can spell "wearing" better than I. Good Lord, what was that??? :rolleyes:

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I'll also wager that Princeton has more octagenarians whereing orange blazers and silly hats walking around in the stands. Not that that is a bad thing!

Pard, actually you're right. There will be lots of Tiger octogenarians in the Lafayette visitors' stands, clad in orange blazers and silly hats, asking "where's the bathroom"? ;)

LBPop
September 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM
asking "where's the bathroom"? ;)

...and forgetting 60 seconds after you tell them. :D

89Hen
September 16th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I'll take up for my winged helmet brother to the northeast since I really dig their stadium and town. Princeton will knock the spots off those Leopards this week. :D

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I'll take up for my winged helmet brother to the northeast since I really dig their stadium and town. Princeton will knock the spots off those Leopards this week. :D

Hen, you change your helmet colors back right now! Orange doesn't become you, as those Jersey teasippers would say! ;)

89Hen
September 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Princeton could use a man like me. It is funny after many years of the same avatar seeing different colors.

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Princeton could use a man like me. It is funny after many years of the same avatar seeing different colors.

Princeton could use a man, period! :D (trying to lure Tiger viewers out for healthy smack.)

Lafalumni29
September 16th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I am also looking for a 3-0 start by the leopards. Princeton has always been a thorn in our side so I don't expect a route. I, as well, was in uniform when Marsh and Elias battled it out! They will have 2 game tapes on us to break down plus last year's game with many of the same players for us. They will have an advantage in game planning. However, it will great to see what kind of impact Archie Fisher and Brian Kaz... makes for us. These two guys will be key components for us towards the end of they year. Just to think that we shut out Richmond, a team that scored on what I believe to be a very talented UMASS defense. Not to knock Colgate but I believe they scored with 2 defensive TDs on UMASS (not sure). To accomplish this WITHOUT those two guys (not to mention Justin Stovall who forced the two Lehigh fumbles last year) makes me get very excited about the rest of the year. Yes, 94 I'm knocking on wood as well.

LBPop
September 16th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Yellow, Maize, Orange.... In any color they are the weirdest, yet some of the best helmets in the NCAA. So, who was first? :rolleyes:

Pard94
September 16th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Nah...Lafayette goes to 3-0 beating three different leagues in the process. I don't sweat our Ivy opponents this year!with perhaps the slight exception of Harvard. I sweat them a little bit

RadMann
September 16th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Princeton wore the winged helmet first under legendary coach Fritz Crisler (in the leather helmet era). Crisler left Princeton and went to Michigan, bringing his helmet with him. One of Crisler's players during his head coaching days at Michigan was running back Dave Nelson. Nelson went into coaching later on and brought the winged helmet with him to Maine and later UD. It stuck at UD. Now Princeton uses it again as well, but Princeton was first.

Andy
September 16th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Last year the Tigers came out throwing, loosened us up and then rushed at a five yd per carry avg. Their passing ability is an unknown this year so I look for us to again try to disrupt their experienced o-line play and dare them to throw. Of course, as is our MO, we'll be blitzing like crazy on passing downs, testing their new QB. LJ held Tutt to 2-12 last week, Fields is this week's challenge. Leopard's D will have an attitude this week as they were embarrassed last year.

Respect their return game--pooch, pooch, pooch and watch Fields on the end around.

Pards o-line needs to continue to come together against a tough P defense and Hurt is getting close to being labeled "a fumbler." Protect the ball Jon and have a day!

Pards lose this one and it's back to square one in terms of respect. Brad has picked up where he left off at Delaware with a beautiful touch on the long ball--just missing two for TDs vs Richmond. Pards roll!

Pard94
September 16th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Princeton wore the winged helmet first under legendary coach Fritz Crisler (in the leather helmet era). Crisler left Princeton and went to Michigan, bringing his helmet with him. One of Crisler's players during his head coaching days at Michigan was running back Dave Nelson. Nelson went into coaching later on and brought the winged helmet with him to Maine and later UD. It stuck at UD. Now Princeton uses it again as well, but Princeton was first.

To take it a step further...the winged helmet design actually comes from the pattern of the leather strips sewn together on the early leather helemts. And since Lafayette's George Barclay "invented" the leather helmet, one could argue that Lafayette was the absolute first to wear the winged pattern. It's a stretch I know...but what the hell...it's Friday!

Pard94
September 16th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I, as well, was in uniform when Marsh and Elias battled it out!

Wait a minute 29, you were in uniform?? We played together? And you are??? So as not to invade your privacy...give me your graduation date, jersey number and position.

Pard94
September 16th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Wait a minute 29, you were in uniform?? We played together? And you are??? So as not to invade your privacy...give me your graduation date, jersey number and position.

Or if you don't care...give me your name. ;)

RadMann
September 16th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Pard: A bit of a stretch you're right ;)... I think Crisler had the helmets painted following the outline of the leather "wings" which is why they were distinctive. When helmets later changed to metal, the design was already well established. Either way, don't tell Michigan fans that their football helmets came from Princeton, unless you want to see them get unnerved... ;)

GannonFan
September 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Pard: A bit of a stretch you're right ;)... I think Crisler had the helmets painted following the outline of the leather "wings" which is why they were distinctive. When helmets later changed to metal, the design was already well established. Either way, don't tell Michigan fans that their football helmets came from Princeton, unless you want to see them get unnerved... ;)

I think the Michigan people know that it came from Princeton - they are aware who Crisler is (their arena is called that after all). And I have to say the Lafayette tie-in is a stretch - I'm not sure but I'd think there were several different ways to stitch together a leather helmet. And Crisler was the first to paint the design onto the helmet (the real innovation in this case) - being one of the early practicioners of the forward pass, Crisler wanted to make it easier for his QB to know who to throw to.

Pard94
September 16th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I think the Michigan people know that it came from Princeton - they are aware who Crisler is (their arena is called that after all). And I have to say the Lafayette tie-in is a stretch - I'm not sure but I'd think there were several different ways to stitch together a leather helmet. And Crisler was the first to paint the design onto the helmet (the real innovation in this case) - being one of the early practicioners of the forward pass, Crisler wanted to make it easier for his QB to know who to throw to.

Whatever...as long as it's still Friday...you can't take that away from me! :D

GannonFan
September 16th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Whatever...as long as it's still Friday...you can't take that away from me! :D

Well, in some parts of the world it's Saturday already .... ;)

Marcus Garvey
September 16th, 2005, 01:35 PM

The only metal in football helmets are the screws and snaps used to hold straps, pads, and face masks on. The shells are a high density plastic (UDChE89, help us out with some technical terms please! :) ) Football helmets went from leather to plastic over a period of time in the late 40's through the 50's. By 1960, I don't think any teams on any level were using leather. I've seen pics in a high school year book from 1955. There's a shot of one team in plastic helmets, and the other with leather. Of course, nobody had masks.

RadMann
September 16th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Marcus: If you wanty to correct my grammar as well, go for it... I generally meant the modern, harder helmet composed of plastics, fiberglass, metals and other harder substances as opposed to the leather version. Was not trying to give an exact makeup of the materials used in construction.. lol

Marcus Garvey
September 16th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Marcus: If you wanty to correct my grammar as well, go for it... I generally meant the modern, harder helmet composed of plastics, fiberglass, metals and other harder substances as opposed to the leather version. Was not trying to give an exact makeup of the materials used in construction.. lol

No offense intended, but where I grew up, there's HUGE difference between "metal" and "plastic."
;)

ngineer
September 16th, 2005, 04:57 PM
I am also looking for a 3-0 start by the leopards. Princeton has always been a thorn in our side so I don't expect a route. I, as well, was in uniform when Marsh and Elias battled it out! They will have 2 game tapes on us to break down plus last year's game with many of the same players for us. They will have an advantage in game planning. However, it will great to see what kind of impact Archie Fisher and Brian Kaz... makes for us. These two guys will be key components for us towards the end of they year. Just to think that we shut out Richmond, a team that scored on what I believe to be a very talented UMASS defense. Not to knock Colgate but I believe they scored with 2 defensive TDs on UMASS (not sure). To accomplish this WITHOUT those two guys (not to mention Justin Stovall who forced the two Lehigh fumbles last year) makes me get very excited about the rest of the year. Yes, 94 I'm knocking on wood as well.

While the 'pards D did a nice job, don't forget that Richmond missed at least 3 field goals---so part of it was UR's ineptitude.
I pick Lafayette over Princeton by 10-14 points. Tiger's will be rusty and alot of newbies. Lafayette's game experience will take them far.

89Hen
September 16th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Princeton wore the winged helmet first under legendary coach Fritz Crisler (in the leather helmet era). Crisler left Princeton and went to Michigan, bringing his helmet with him.
Of course Rad is on the money. Ironically, I played in a charity golf tourney today and ran into two Michigan alums who were both wearing golf shirts with the UM winged helmet on the chest. I of course had to comment and one had no idea that UM wasn't the original (the younger of the two), but the senior Wolverine fan came up with Fritz's name in a second. He even knew Dave Nelson, the man who brought the helmet to UD. :D

ngineer
September 16th, 2005, 07:58 PM
The only metal in football helmets are the screws and snaps used to hold straps, pads, and face masks on. The shells are a high density plastic (UDChE89, help us out with some technical terms please! :) ) Football helmets went from leather to plastic over a period of time in the late 40's through the 50's. By 1960, I don't think any teams on any level were using leather. I've seen pics in a high school year book from 1955. There's a shot of one team in plastic helmets, and the other with leather. Of course, nobody had masks.

Yes, by the early '60's everyone was wearing plastic. However, I remember in 1962 my Dad, who was a high school coach, had a player with such a big head that the only one that fit him was one of the leather ones they still had in the equipment room. The guy was already the biggest guy on the team, but wearing that helmet, that had a very distinctive shape compared to the new round plastic, looked like some kind of monster running out there.
There have been a number of debates over the years whether going to plastic was better for safety. Once that happened people started using their heads as weapons and the incidence of neck and injuries rose dramatically.

colgate13
September 16th, 2005, 09:40 PM
89, I go away for a day and you've gone to orange and black?!?!?!?

Stop it, you're freaking me out!

Of course, if PU wins, it will be all because of you... ;)

RadMann
September 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM
89Hen: My observations are similar. In travelling the midwest for business, the very knowledgeable Wolverine fan knows the history, but the casual UM fan is usually ignorant of the Princeton tie in and origin and are almost offended that their Michigan "heritage" came from somewhere else...

89Hen
September 17th, 2005, 08:08 AM
89, I go away for a day and you've gone to orange and black?!?!?!? Stop it, you're freaking me out! Of course, if PU wins, it will be all because of you... ;)
Just taking up for the little guy, well not really little but, underrepresented guy. :p I will be going back to blue and gold right after my Tigers maul the Leopards. :D