PDA

View Full Version : Week-2 Pete's Power Poll

Pete's Weekly
September 15th, 2005, 02:54 PM
The week-2 polls came out yesterday ... both teams and conference polls. You still have time to vote for our games of the week winners/losers.

kmax
September 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM
The week-2 polls came out yesterday ... both teams and conference polls. You still have time to vote for our games of the week winners/losers.
Thanks it's been a tough couple days at work, I needed that laugh.

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2005, 03:33 PM
From Pete:

Get a life. What no "crack" comment this time? Read it or don't ... as if I care? I get emails from losers like you every day & I have been doing this for many years ... so take a number "bub".

GrizzlyEdd
September 15th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks it's been a tough couple days at work, I needed that laugh.

:lmao: Wow, humor and insanity in a football pool... what will someone think of next!!;)

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2005, 04:22 PM
:lmao: Wow, humor and insanity in a football pool... what will someone think of next!!;)

It's not a "pool" or a poll for that matter. It's just "Pistol Pete" doing it. One person. Not a group of people, though he has been doing it for "years" so he has some sort of crazy system worked out...

TigerFan17
September 15th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Any "poll" with us at 39 can't be right. :D

GrizzlyEdd
September 15th, 2005, 04:36 PM
It's not a "pool" or a poll for that matter. It's just "Pistol Pete" doing it. One person. Not a group of people, though he has been doing it for "years" so he has some sort of crazy system worked out...

Oooops... my bad for using the term "pool" was not meant seriously but in jest, as the closeness of the spelling. The "group" insinuation comes from the same attempt at humor... again, my bad! Thought that was evident but that what I get for assuming:rolleyes:

blukeys
September 15th, 2005, 09:04 PM

It's a numerical formula like Sagarin etc. It includes point spreads. Certain d-2 teams are considered but not all. I will not repeat it all as the site does a good job of describing how the index is determined and how it works.

What I don't understand is how the Gateway is ALWAYS the top ranked conference in his system. The 2004 best conference was the Gateway in Pete's system. This after the Gateway bombed in the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row. The A-10 advances all 4 teams in the playoffs in '04 and produces the NC but is not as good as the Gateway in Pete's system. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This does not do much for Pete's credibility. :o

Hansel
September 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM
It's a numerical formula like Sagarin etc. It includes point spreads. Certain d-2 teams are considered but not all. I will not repeat it all as the site does a good job of describing how the index is determined and how it works.

What I don't understand is how the Gateway is ALWAYS the top ranked conference in his system. The 2004 best conference was the Gateway in Pete's system. This after the Gateway bombed in the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row. The A-10 advances all 4 teams in the playoffs in '04 and produces the NC but is not as good as the Gateway in Pete's system. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This does not do much for Pete's credibility. :o
The A-10 is pretty close to the Gateway, and this year I actually think the Gateway may be better than the A-10 (early view), I don't get how the GWFC rates below the OVC, MEAC, PL

igo4uni
September 15th, 2005, 09:19 PM

It's cuz we got Indiana State, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

peace

igo4uni

igo4uni
September 15th, 2005, 09:36 PM
2003 three GFC teams made the quarters, two were beaten by the finalists. Not exactly a bomb.

Weren't 3 beaten by the finalists??

Delaware beat SIU and UNI.

Colgate beat WIU.

peace

igo4uni

blukeys
September 15th, 2005, 09:45 PM
No one has a clue about the best conference until the playoffs as we just don't have enough inter conference and inter sectional games during the regular season to make a truly intelligent appraisal. (Although this year we have a little more to pick from.)

My point was that at the end of the year in '04 Pete's had the Gateway as the #1 conference (I think he also had the Gateway as # 1 in '03) and they were wiped out in the playoffs. For any validity a system must have some ability to predict future performance and Pete's system failed miserably in '03 and '04 during the playoffs. This blows up the credibility of his system in my view. I have an open but skeptical mind. His system works well for predicting Gateway on Gateway games but not outside the conference other than OVC. Guess what. I can do the same without a computer!! ;)

Maybe the Gateway will get back to where they were in '02. I have no idea. After this weekend anyone who thinks that there is some pecking order is clueless. But this is only the 2nd week and No one can predict what will happen in November and December of '05.

My main point is that Pete's "poll" which has only one pollster has proven to be a miserable predictor of success when teams finally meet in the playoffs, especially when you look at the Gateway teams vs. non Gateway teams.

Once again Pete has SIU as #1 in the nation. The SIU team I saw in '03 would have been lucky to win 3 games in the A-10. SIU and WKU lay another egg in the playoffs in '04 yet they are top 5 teams in the "poll". Shouldn't performance on the field count for something? In Pete's system I guess not. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

blukeys
September 15th, 2005, 09:52 PM
2003 three GFC teams made the quarters, two were beaten by the finalists. Not exactly a bomb.

So you agree with Pete that the Gateway was the #1 Conference in '04? Wofford wiped out WKU in '03 and SIU and UNI did not come close to UD in '03. And yes I think the Gateway's performance in '04 was a bomb. One and done doesn't inspire my confidence.

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2005, 05:56 AM
....I don't get how the GWFC rates below the OVC, MEAC, PL

Just further evidence that his system bears no resemblance to reality.