PDA

View Full Version : GSU 1990 National Champions?...

SuperEagle
December 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM
In 1990 Georgia Southern finished the year 12-3 winning the National Title 36-13 over Nevada. Southern won 11 straight games to cap off a great season. The Eagles easily handled 3 or their playoff opponents winning by scores of 31, 37 and of course the 23 point National Championship win. Our only close playoff game was a 28-27 win over a very good Idaho team. That game could have easily went either way I'll admit. And this 90' Eagle team had many of the same players that were on the 1989 team that went 15-0. They were the first collegiate team to go 15-0 so that was quite an accomplishment. But that 90 team started the season slow.
We beat DII Valdosta State 17-10. That VSU team proved to be a tough opponent. Much tougher than many of the FCS teams we played. Then we lost 3 straight to MTSU, Florida State and EKU. We started the season 1-3. However, we rebounded winnning our last 11. Would anyone here argue that we weren't the best team in the nation? Does anyone think that team shouldn't have even been in the playoffs?
Well under today's rule, the BEST team in 90, a team that blew out 3 playoff opponents and won the National Title in a route, would not have even made the playoffs. Yes, you heard me right. We played VSU and SSU, 2 dII schools that year. We finished the regular season 8-3 and only had 6 D1 regular season wins. Could you have imagined if the best team in the country would not have even had a chance at a national title?
So of course that brings me to this. Let's throw out that stupid 7D1 rule.
It's one of the dumbest rules I've ever heard of. Seriously, why not just pick the best 8 at large teams and go from there? You can still go by strength of schedule, GPI, whatever criteria you want. But let the best 8 teams in.
Is Valdosta State, the DII National Champs, not better than many FCS teams? Well, GSU would love to play them and I think FCS fans would have great interest in this game. But it's not going to happen. I have been told we are going to try everything we can to schedule only FCS teams. So instead of VSU we are trying to play teams like Savannah State just to passify the committee. It's a shame. We're taking away the potential to play harder/better competition just to meet a number.
Listen, please don't respond by telling me I'm whining or anything like that. I just want to see the best teams get at large berths pure and simple.
And for the record, this post has nothing to do with this season. I have argued that GSU deserved to make the playoffs over UNH, but I would have chosen neither if I were on the committee.
Again, I think we should just let the best 8 get in and trust the selection committee to be objective when judging who that is, whether it's a school that beat a DII or not. I would hate to see a deserving team like the 1990 National Champions not even get a shot.

danefan
December 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I think there should be a "counter rule" like in FBS. You can play whomever you like and if they qualify as a counter then it should count towards playoff eligibility.

This takes into account the little difference if any between the bottom of FCS and the top of DII. Say 25 scholarships or equivalencies?

th0m
December 17th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Starting slow and scheduling DII schools are completey unrelated. Why can't you start slow against DI competition? The only reason DI schools schedule DII schools is the home gate.

bostonspider
December 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Well if the 2007 rules were the rules in 1990, GSU would not have scheduled as such.

gophoenix
December 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM
See it is always about GSU making it. Over and over and over. If you want to lay down the hard facts, it could have been Elon, Youngstown or GSU by any of these types of arguments.

And again I point out, YSU and Elon fans aren't the one that keep on and on with this.

SuperEagle
December 17th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Well if the 2007 rules were the rules in 1990, GSU would not have scheduled as such.
yes and no. those games were set way in advance. and since we were an independent and only 9 years old, we wanted to get some good instate rivalries going. we would still like to do that with VSU but with the 7DI rules we cannot. it's a shame.

SuperEagle
December 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM
See it is always about GSU making it. Over and over and over. If you want to lay down the hard facts, it could have been Elon, Youngstown or GSU by any of these types of arguments.

And again I point out, YSU and Elon fans aren't the one that keep on and on with this.
you obviously didn't read my post. i clearly stated that i would not have had GSU or unh in the playoffs if I were on the committee.
my gripe is more with the rule than who was in the playoffs.
please discuss the rule and nothing else. that's the point of this whole thing.

FCS Preview
December 17th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Rules change. Accept it. Deal with it. And for heaven's sake....

SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT IT.

Do we need to listen to this crap for the next 12 months? The guidelines were in place before the season. Had GSU managed a gimme FG in the closing moments against Furman, or could have beaten a crappy Col State team with their season on the line, they'd have made the playoffs. If they could have beaten an awful Chattanooga team they'd have made the playoffs.

Wah wah wah.

FCS Preview
December 17th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Exactly.

bostonspider
December 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM
yes and no. those games were set way in advance. and since we were an independent and only 9 years old, we wanted to get some good instate rivalries going. we would still like to do that with VSU but with the 7DI rules we cannot. it's a shame.

Delaware schedules a D-II team every year and still made the championship game. ASU scheduled one and won the national title, so GSU could easily schedule one. They just need to take care of business with the rest of their schedule. I see no problem with having a few set rules like 7 D-I wins, as long as they are spelt out and known way before the season starts.

SuperEagle
December 17th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Do we need to listen to this crap for the next 12 months? The guidelines were in place before the season. Had GSU managed a gimme FG in the closing moments against Furman, or could have beaten a crappy Col State team with their season on the line, they'd have made the playoffs. If they could have beaten an awful Chattanooga team they'd have made the playoffs.

Wah wah wah.

you know you DON'T have to read my posts don't you. And why do you have to curse on a public message board? Can you not addresss the post without swearing or are you that immature?
Obviously reading is not one of your strong suits either. I again stated I would not have put us in the playoffs. How did you miss that? I'm arguing against the rule and wanting it changed. And since our 90 National Championship team would not have even been in the playoffs, I think this shows how ridiculous the rule is. Please address the post in an intelligent manner if you are able. Thanks in advance.

SuperEagle
December 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM
just wanted to put part of my original post in bold for anyone else that may want to rationally respond to this thread. Some have had a hard time with this so I'm putting this out there again:

And for the record, this post has nothing to do with this season. I have argued that GSU deserved to make the playoffs over UNH, but I would have chosen neither if I were on the committee.
Again, I think we should just let the best 8 get in and trust the selection committee to be objective when judging who that is, whether it's a school that beat a DII or not. I would hate to see a deserving team like the 1990 National Champions not even get a shot.

SuperEagle
December 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I think there should be a "counter rule" like in FBS. You can play whomever you like and if they qualify as a counter then it should count towards playoff eligibility.

This takes into account the little difference if any between the bottom of FCS and the top of DII. Say 25 scholarships or equivalencies?
now there's an idea. Count wins against teams with a minimum of schollies. Not bad. I just think the committee should look at everything as a whole, not just immediately rule out DII wins. If it's a quality DII, then count it. If you're playing a crappy DII, like we did this year with West Georgia, then definitely take that into consideration too. I think they should look at everything and objectively decide who deserves in.
They shouldn't just discount DII at all costs.

eaglesrthe1
December 17th, 2007, 06:35 PM
It's not a rule. It never has been. It's just a guideline. Just drop it.:(

FCS Preview
December 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM
now there's an idea. Count wins against teams with a minimum of schollies. Not bad. I just think the committee should look at everything as a whole, not just immediately rule out DII wins. If it's a quality DII, then count it. If you're playing a crappy DII, like we did this year with West Georgia, then definitely take that into consideration too. I think they should look at everything and objectively decide who deserves in.
They shouldn't just discount DII at all costs.
And who decides what is a quality win? If you beat a lousy D-II school that hands out the maximum # of scholarships, should that count more than beating a team like Dayton? There are several D-II and D-III schools that could probably beat Indiana State this year, but Ind State gives out scholarships. So are they a quality win?

JohnStOnge
December 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I don't think if it's a rule but I agree that the committee should not automatically consider a D-II win to be of less quality than a D-I win. Each opponent should be taken on its own merit. I won't go through the littany again but it's pretty obvious that there are D-II teams each year that are better than most FCS teams are.

Anyway, the committee should actually look at each opponent and honestly ask itself how good that opponent appears to be.

FCS Preview
December 17th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I don't think if it's a rule but I agree that the committee should not automatically consider a D-II win to be of less quality than a D-I win. Each opponent should be taken on its own merit. I won't go through the littany again but it's pretty obvious that there are D-II teams each year that are better than most FCS teams are.

Anyway, the committee should actually look at each opponent and honestly ask itself how good that opponent appears to be.

And then you'd really hear some complaining if the committee took one team over another because they said their D-II win was tougher than another schools D-I win....that's why they have a guideline. Win 7 games against D-I competition. Makes it simpler.

eaglewraith
December 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM

Wah wah wah.

Man, someone has some mighty big britches just because they have a website.

Here's an idea...you don't want to hear about GSU right??

DO

NOT

READ

GSU

THREADS!!!

Isn't that what everyone screams at someone when they don't like something on here??

Go Cats
December 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Maybe I should know this, but would somebody tell me why we have 16 conferences and only 8 automatic bids

BigApp
December 17th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Maybe I should know this, but would somebody tell me why we have 16 conferences and only 8 automatic bids

you're right, you should know that. xreadx

FCS Preview
December 17th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Man, someone has some mighty big britches just because they have a website.

Here's an idea...you don't want to hear about GSU right??

DO

NOT

READ

GSU

THREADS!!!

Isn't that what everyone screams at someone when they don't like something on here??

Silly me for thinking someone could post about GSU without bringing up the 7-win thing....

ERASU2113
December 17th, 2007, 07:45 PM
The problem with letting schools play smaller schools as long as they "count" is who would decide which teams count as quality wins. Wouldn't teams just drop down more often to play a DII to get a win so it counts?

I'd rather see a FCS team go up and beat a FBS team any day of the week than go down to beat a DII or III