PDA

View Full Version : FAVORITE FOR 2008

NTHOMPSON
December 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM
MAYBE ITS TO EARLY TO SPECULATE, BUT WHO ARE GOING TO BE THE TEAMS TO WATCH OUT FOR NEXT YEAR?

89Hen
December 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Villanova xeyebrowx

appstate38
December 17th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Just about anybody from the CAA.... JMU and Richmond come to mind!

Elon from the SoCon

EWU from the Big Sky

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 17th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Just about anybody from the CAA.... JMU and Richmond come to mind!

Elon from the SoCon

EWU from the Big Sky

I second Elon...if they manage to find a good running back, they could be scary.

stevdock
December 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Cal Poly is going to be tough. They should have beaten us this year and are only gonna get better next year.

Cranium716
December 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Um, I'm gonna go out on a limb here...App St? xrolleyesx

putter
December 17th, 2007, 02:51 PM
App
JMU
Villanova
NDSU
Poly
EWU

GaSouthern
December 17th, 2007, 03:00 PM
From SoCon...
Furman
Elon

from the SoCon, I expect GSU to perform about the same level, possibly missing the playoffs again.

lizrdgizrd
December 17th, 2007, 03:31 PM
EWU could make a lot of noise next year. xnodx

Eaglesrus
December 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
From SoCon...
Furman
Elon

from the SoCon, I expect GSU to perform about the same level, possibly missing the playoffs again.

I pretty much agree, but I think the SoCon may be even more competitive next year than it was this season. I'm really interested to see what happens at WCU.

The Moody1
December 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM
From SoCon...
Furman
Elon

Both Elon and Furman come to Boone next year. I would like to hear the justification of anyone who doesn't think App will be favored to at least win the SoCon next year.

HaveFunKc
December 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I pretty much agree, but I think the SoCon may be even more competitive next year than it was this season. I'm really interested to see what happens at WCU.

Agreed 100% - we thought the SoCon was a fight this year coming down to the last couple of games. 2008 could make 2007 look like a walk-in-the-park. Elon may be putting things together... El Cid ain't out of the picture just yet (backup QB did pretty good with Lawson out). ASU has some holes to fill, but offensively should still put points on the board with AE & company. Keep going... 2008 should be a blast! xthumbsupx

Favorite for next year:

APP (kind of hard to knock 3 in a row)
JMU (the fire has been lit)
EWU (talent's there, but new coach?)
Elon (going out on a limb, but if they take SoCon - they could go all the way)

ASUMountaineer
December 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I think your favorites coming into the season will be:

ASU
NDSU
JMU
Montana (aren't they always?)
URich (many young players who got to the semis)

Seawolf97
December 17th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Villanova xeyebrowx

Have to second this. Villanova could be an easy top 10 or top 15 team in 2008. That would really make the CAA a tough place to play.xnodx

eaglesrthe1
December 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I think your favorites coming into the season will be:

ASU
NDSU
JMU
Montana (aren't they always?)
URich (many young players who got to the semis)

I will be suprised to see NDSU roll like they have been, having to play a Gateway schedule.

eaglewraith
December 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM

And don't forget about that powerhouse Samford. xrolleyesx

Spider
December 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Have to second this. Villanova could be an easy top 10 or top 15 team in 2008. That would really make the CAA a tough place to play.xnodx
The CAA is always a tough place to play, especially the South Division....

ASUMountaineer
December 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I will be suprised to see NDSU roll like they have been, having to play a Gateway schedule.

UNI and SIU were favorites coming out of the Gateway. I think it can be done by NDSU, but it will be harder.

FCS Go!
December 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
App St and ?

I haven't looked into anyone else in detail yet. I think the Griz are out of the "favorites". E. Washington and S. Illinois have new coaches so who knows what will happen with them. xreadx

Cranium716
December 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM

I completely agree...The Gateway will be one of the strongest, if not the strongest conference next year. No way they steamroll though it.

Here are my picks:

JMU
Richmond
Villanova
Elon
Albany

I would have included App St too, but that's kind of a given. Albany's going to be interesting. They're playing a high-quality OOC schedule next year, which includes some of the beasts from the CAA. I'll be rooting for them just because they have the stones to schedule quality opponents, unlike some other cry-baby schools who shall remain nameless.

uofmman1122
December 18th, 2007, 02:22 AM
There seem to be a ton of Griz fans predicting a massive fall from grace next year, and I honestly don't see it happening. Well, not nearly as bad as most.

Last time I can say I was worried about Montana's chances was in 2005, and I think we're better off than we were that year.

I'm not saying we should be preseason #1, or anything like that. It's going to take some guts and a lot of luck to win in Chatty next year. However, I'm still optimistic.

Anyways, my favs for next year are probably

ASU
JMU
EWU
and NDSU

No particular order because no team really jumps out.

ASU - Edwards will be scary, but it's not Armanti Edwards State University.

JMU - I don't know enough about JMU.

EWU - Getting a new coach, and who knows what happens.

NDSU - I will be really surprised to see NDSU have a season like their last two now that they're in the Gateway.

Hoyadestroya85
December 18th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Its nice to see some love for the wildcats.. but the conference champs i think will be JMU... unless we can beat them at home.. stranger things have happened though...

MarkCCU
December 18th, 2007, 06:46 AM
You guys have no idea what you are talking about. There can only be one team, ONE TEAM that has what it takes. There is only one team that comes to mind when I hear National Champs.

San Diego.

App State, who the **** are they?!

NTHOMPSON
December 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM
COME ON CATFISH, YOU MUST BE JOKING. I'M NOT AN APP ST. FAN BUT I FEEL THEY HAVE EARNED OUR RESPECT. 3 TIME CHAMPS!! TO BE THE MAN YOU MUST BEAT THE MAN! WHEN SAN DIEGO BEATS THE MOUNTAINEERS THEN WE HAVE A DISCUSSION.

Kill'em
December 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I am picking North Dakota St.

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2007, 09:03 AM
COME ON CATFISH, YOU MUST BE JOKING. I'M NOT AN APP ST. FAN BUT I FEEL THEY HAVE EARNED OUR RESPECT. 3 TIME CHAMPS!! TO BE THE MAN YOU MUST BEAT THE MAN! WHEN SAN DIEGO BEATS THE MOUNTAINEERS THEN WE HAVE A DISCUSSION.
Please stop yelling. xoopsx

And yes, he's joking. xnonono2x

asu7
December 18th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Too early to tell at this point

Although if I had to pick a final in NOOGA it would be APP JMU

NTHOMPSON
December 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Oops, sorry for the CAPS lock. Just stating App St. is the Top Dog until proven otherwise. xbowx Really, we all know the next champ will come from the Gateway.xprayx

Cranium716
December 18th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Too early to tell at this point

Although if I had to pick a final in NOOGA it would be APP JMU

Ah yes, a grudge/rubber match for the NC! I like it!

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Ah yes, a grudge/rubber match for the NC! I like it!
I like this JMU/ASU rivalry. Let's keep it up past next year! xthumbsupx

NTHOMPSON
December 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I am picking North Dakota St.
I like the way you think.

89Hen
December 18th, 2007, 09:37 AM
A lot of love for Elon. xeyebrowx Not saying they can't be good, but to pick them on a thread where we're talking about favorites? I'd call them a serious dark horse considering they've never made the playoffs and have yet to beat Furman or AppSt since joining the SoCon. They open with Richmond at home so we should know before September what to expect from Elon.

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Cal Poly is going to be tough. They should have beaten us this year and are only gonna get better next year.

Great. xsmhx

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop smokin' crack. xeekx

appfan2008
December 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM
The socon is going to be crazy...
ASU- plenty of talent coming back off of 3 straight
Elon- that quarterback wr combo is something else
Furman- they will bounce back after a RELATIVELY slow year
GSU- they are building something special down there again...
The Citadel- looks to be building something as well
Wofford- wont fall off too far

UTC
WCU- I hope these 2 schools step it up at some point!

Samford?- what are they doing in the socon?

I predict 3 teams getting in... ASU ELON AND FURMAN
gsu tc and wc will be close behind

'neers80
December 18th, 2007, 10:23 AM
watch out for richmond if the can fin a runningback to replace hightower. JMU will play with a chip on their sholder. montana never falls to far from the table and app has to replace 2 all americans.

MarkCCU
December 18th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Why are you yelling at me?xconfusedx

Bettina90
December 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
watch out for richmond if the can fin a runningback to replace hightower. JMU will play with a chip on their sholder. montana never falls to far from the table and app has to replace 2 all americans.

His name is "Josh Vaughn", and this time next year you may have forgotten all about Hightower.

ASUG8
December 18th, 2007, 12:31 PM
From SoCon...
Furman
Elon

I thought the loss of Grey and Felton would eliminate Furman from this group, unless some FU guys can elighten me.

WCU LawCat
December 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Does Wofford lose a lot of starters?

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
App
NDSU
E-Dub
Richmond
SDSU
Elon

gophoenix
December 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM
A lot of love for Elon. xeyebrowx Not saying they can't be good, but to pick them on a thread where we're talking about favorites? I'd call them a serious dark horse considering they've never made the playoffs and have yet to beat Furman or AppSt since joining the SoCon. They open with Richmond at home so we should know before September what to expect from Elon.

I'm with you. We are young, still have to develop a running game and have a lot of younger people who need to develop into their positions. We should be good, but not sure about a favorite yet.

MountaineerGuy
December 18th, 2007, 02:56 PM
App, if we (and by we, I mean Armanti) can stay healthy and not take those consequential losses in the early/mid season.

And JMU. Because you know they're pissed ass hell. And they were pretty damn good to begin with.

To me, everyone else has yet to really prove themselves if you're talking about the teams who will make it to Nooga.

For the SoCon, I think this year proved anyone (save Western) has the potential to come out and win any day down here. I know those 4th and 5th CAA teams had strong arguments of why they should've made it in, but I think GSU has a reason to be pissed about not getting in the playoffs. Elon showed some promise in some games, and then in some they fell apart.

If I had to call it now I would guess App and GSU/Elon will be the front runners, followed by Wofford and then Furman and then El Cid. Don't know quite what to say for Samford. Western, I know you're getting a new coach, but even if he is God's Gift to College Football, I think it'll take him a few years to get the program even looking towards the right direction; don't expect to see the jug any time soon.

Eight Legger
December 18th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Personally I'm glad with open with Elon and don't have to play them later in the year. Hopefully we'll win and you guys will go undefeated the rest of the way and help us get a seed next year.
:)

ElonPride
December 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Elon beat the co-conference champ Wofford and a surging GSU.....don't think that labels Elon as a dark horse.

Also, if it weren't for a 4th quarter IMPLOSION, the team would've had a chance at App (score 28-24 beginning the 4th). That's MUCH better than UD played App.
Injuries toward the end of the season (I think 7 defensive starters out each of the last 2 conference games) kept Elon out of the playoffs this year.

All in all, Elon returns 18 starters.

JMU_Fan_2007
December 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM
How big is the ASU@JMU game next September? You don't get much better than that. Nothing will even be close for game of the year.

LarryBoy
December 18th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I thought the loss of Grey and Felton would eliminate Furman from this group, unless some FU guys can elighten me.

Furman's offense will be about 10 points per game better next year, regardless of the loss of Gray and Felton. "New" QB Sorrells has plenty of starts/playing time under his belt and we expect huge things from him. We're looking to be incredibly deep in the O-line, backfield, and receivers. Oh, and we also have the best receiving TE group in I-AA (as GSU and others may attest to).

So that's not the problem. Instead, we need to hope for the defense to give up 10 points less per game. We're replacing a lot in the secondary, but after their performance for much of last year, that's a good thing. We should be faster, but I'm not sure how we'll match up size-wise. That's what killed us last year. We have a lot of very strong D-linemen returning, and some younger LB's stepping in that we're all really excited about.

Overall, I will be shocked if we don't improve from last season. But in this SoCon, that may or may not result in an improved record.

drpnut
December 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I believe Wofford will again be tough in the SoCon-they don't lose much on O and on D lose DB"S and a couple of linebackers and a couple on D-line. I remind folks that we were predicted 4th this year.

I think the SoCon will be a three-four team race: Appy, Woffy, GaSouth, Furman (not in predicted order.) I think Elon will be about 7-4 and ElCid 7-4. Then the next year I think they will challenge.

Also, a lot of teams will have 12 games.

I also think Richmond and Villy in the CAA will be scary.

EWU will be the sh%t, and I look for NDSU to be strong as well from the West. Portland St. might surprise us as well.

I will go on a limb and say that the CAA will not get 5 in next year. No way in hell.

Peace

gofurman
December 18th, 2007, 09:32 PM
The socon is going to be crazy...
ASU- plenty of talent coming back off of 3 straight
Elon- that quarterback wr combo is something else
Furman- they will bounce back after a RELATIVELY slow year
GSU- they are building something special down there again...
The Citadel- looks to be building something as well
Wofford- wont fall off too far

UTC
WCU- I hope these 2 schools step it up at some point!

Samford?- what are they doing in the socon?

I predict 3 teams getting in... ASU ELON AND FURMAN
gsu tc and wc will be close behind

It is a limited perspective to look at who is on a team ... also have to look at who you play and where...
Problem for us Furmanites is the schedule - we play VTech, and App and Delaware (OOC) so assuming we lose to VTech and the two national finalists we can't lose a single other game and still hope to make the playoffs ! That includes playing v good teams in Woff, Georgia Southern, Elon, El Cid, etc..

*I just don't see us being better than 7-4 with that schedule to be honest

I agree that Elon is getting a little too much love here - picked as possible NChamps when they have never made a playoff...c'mon

igo4uni
December 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Indiana State.

umassfan
December 19th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Still think UMass will be a top 5 player next year. We are starting to build something great for years to come. We lose some key players but have only lost 1 CAA game in 2 years(in a hurricane to URI). The Defense only lost 3 starters and our only weakness looks to be OLine youth.

Hoyadestroya85
December 19th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Still think UMass will be a top 5 player next year. We are starting to build something great for years to come. We lose some key players but have only lost 1 CAA game in 2 years(in a hurricane to URI). The Defense only lost 3 starters and our only weakness looks to be OLine youth.
you guys also will still have your stud Quarterback.. one of the best in my opinion..

Grabholdofyosef
December 19th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Elon beat the co-conference champ Wofford and a surging GSU.....don't think that labels Elon as a dark horse.

Also, if it weren't for a 4th quarter IMPLOSION, the team would've had a chance at App (score 28-24 beginning the 4th). That's MUCH better than UD played App.
Injuries toward the end of the season (I think 7 defensive starters out each of the last 2 conference games) kept Elon out of the playoffs this year.

What you said is accurate, but on a thread about the favorite for 2008, Elon is certainly a dark horse.

This got me thinking:

Has any team ever won the NC the first time they made the playoffs? Of course teams did right when the playoffs were created, but I wonder about in the last 15 years.

UDBlueLotFan
December 19th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Also, if it weren't for a 4th quarter IMPLOSION, the team would've had a chance at App (score 28-24 beginning the 4th). That's MUCH better than UD played App. Injuries toward the end of the season (I think 7 defensive starters out each of the last 2 conference games) kept Elon out of the playoffs this year.

Did you have MEAC officials that game?xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix I know, blah, blah, blah xnonox xbawlingx xbawlingx

gophoenix
December 19th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Did you have MEAC officials that game?xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix I know, blah, blah, blah xnonox xbawlingx xbawlingx

Don't get me started on MEAC officials. We played A&T for 10 years and Delaware State for 5. MEAC officials in every one of those games home or away. UGH.

Touchdown Yosef
December 19th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Don't get me started on MEAC officials. We played A&T for 10 years and Delaware State for 5. MEAC officials in every one of those games home or away. UGH.

I think we all know FCS football is no joke, why do we have to put up w/ refs that don't deserve to ref a high school game here. I was at the App Furman game this year and heard them call "encroachment on the offense" on multipule occasions. Could someone please explain to me what that is. I think most Socon fans will tell you our refs are for the most part garbage. It is time we see some more informed officials on the field. All I am saying is if we can put NFL quality talent on field couldn't we also find some refs that match the level of play.

Kosty
December 19th, 2007, 09:35 AM

I'm worried because we lose Rancher and Omar and Moore and Lawrence. Although Nelson should slide in just fine. And even with Coblyn and Ducasse back on the O line....there could be depth issues. And the defensive backfield should be solid with basically all the DBs coming back.

ElonPride
December 19th, 2007, 10:17 AM

No but we did have SoCon officials at the gamexnodx .....which group's worse? xrolleyesx

I agree with GP though, after seeing Elon games with our MEAC peers of the past, MEAC refs are pretty bad.

WrenFGun
December 19th, 2007, 12:59 PM
UMass, JMU, UR and Villanova are the best four teams in the CAA right now, IMO. UNH and UD represent the next level, followed by W&M, Towson, Hofstra and Maine. Lord knows what will happen with URI and NU.

The CAA South is going to beat the crap out of each other, and I think it's going to be hard for more than 2 teams to come out of that side. I'm very interested to see how UMass fares with JMU and UR, as those should be tough games. Also, equally interested in UNH/'Nova.

Hoyadestroya85
December 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Villanova is very lucky to have UR, UNH, and JMU at home... that seriously helps our playoff positions considering we haven't lost at home (knock wood) since Towson in October 06

gophoenix
December 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I think we all know FCS football is no joke, why do we have to put up w/ refs that don't deserve to ref a high school game here. I was at the App Furman game this year and heard them call "encroachment on the offense" on multipule occasions. Could someone please explain to me what that is. I think most Socon fans will tell you our refs are for the most part garbage. It is time we see some more informed officials on the field. All I am saying is if we can put NFL quality talent on field couldn't we also find some refs that match the level of play.

Well, my ultimate problem with the dump on the refs moments is that the team fans who think they should bowl over everyone are the ones whining and moaning about the refs right now.

BDKJMU
December 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
UMass, JMU, UR and Villanova are the best four teams in the CAA right now, IMO. UNH and UD represent the next level, followed by W&M, Towson, Hofstra and Maine. Lord knows what will happen with URI and NU.

The CAA South is going to beat the crap out of each other, and I think it's going to be hard for more than 2 teams to come out of that side. I'm very interested to see how UMass fares with JMU and UR, as those should be tough games. Also, equally interested in UNH/'Nova.

This past season the CAA South got 3 in, the North 2. CAA South was 11-7 against the North (earlier I had written was 12-6, but was off there). I think the South vs the North might be even more lopsided, like 12-6 or 13-5. CAA in an 18 team field with 9 at larges will likely get 4 in, 3 from the South and 1 from the North, just like in 04'. I think it will be JMU, UR, and Nova from the South and UMass from the North, with UNH & UD there if any of those 1st 4 don't make it.

Appinator
December 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Well, my ultimate problem with the dump on the refs moments is that the team fans who think they should bowl over everyone are the ones whining and moaning about the refs right now.

I don't think that was the point he was trying to make. While watching the NC game live, I really wasn't in the state to know how good or bad the officating was. When I spent all day Saturday watching all of the coverage that I had DVR'd from the night before, I litterally felt bad for UD. It seemed that the refs were throwing flags or making calls just because they had no idea of what was going on, and they knew if they made a bad enough call that the booth would review it and help them. Maybe these guys were not up to the presure of reffing in front of that many people, but to make the inept ESPN2 anouncers even take notice of the situation tells something in itself. We won that game clearly without help from the refs, but UD was handed a raw deal the entire game.

Appinator
December 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Anyways back to 2008, all I want for Christman is NCSU, ECU, UNC(already not going to happen), or Wake on the schedule. JMU got their gift early and gets to welcome David Cutcliff and Dook to FCS football.