18. Delaware St.
19. South Dakota St.
20. Fordham
21. Villanova
22. Yale
23. Harvard
24. Cal Poly
25. Dayton

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): The Citadel (25), Elon (21), Jackson St. (14), Hofstra (12), Grambling St. (11), Liberty (6), Albany (5), Furman (5), Norfolk St. (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Appalachian St.
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Delaware

OL FU
December 17th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
12/17/2007

(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Appalachian St. (43)
2. Delaware
3. Southern Illinois
4. Northern Iowa
5. Richmond
6. North Dakota St.
7. Wofford
8. Eastern Washington
9. Massachusetts
10. James Madison
11. Montana
12. McNeese St.
13. Eastern Kentucky
14. New Hampshire
15. Eastern Illinois
16. Youngstown St.
17. Georgia Southern
18. Delaware St.
19. South Dakota St.
20. Fordham
21. Villanova
22. Yale
23. Harvard
24. Cal Poly
25. Dayton

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): The Citadel (25), Elon (21), Jackson St. (14), Hofstra (12), Grambling St. (11), Liberty (6), Albany (5), Furman (5), Norfolk St. (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Appalachian St.
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Delaware

AS usual you can argue with the nits, but a pretty good poll especially only 43 voters. xthumbsupx

Congrats everyone and thanks for the effort.

AGSPoll
December 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
The 43 voters is an increase from the 32 in 2006.

OL FU
December 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
The 43 voters is an increase from the 32 in 2006.

The smartest ( or at least the most dedicated) hang into the endxthumbsupx

89Hen
December 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Looks pretty good to me, but FWIW I had Richmond at 2 and the Hens at 3. UR beat UD in Newark and played AppSt a little tougher. xpeacex

lizrdgizrd
December 17th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I don't see any glaring problems with this. xthumbsupx

HiHiYikas
December 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I wasn't too sure what "most significant win" and "most significant loss" meant after 4 weeks worth of games, so I gave "most significant loss" to Montana.

The "of the week" phrasing wasn't part of the ballots.

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I wasn't too sure what "most significant win" and "most significant loss" meant after 4 weeks worth of games, so I gave "most significant loss" to Montana.

I did the same thing :p

bostonspider
December 17th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I would think UR was too low, but that is just my bias showing.

89Hen

Mine were AppSt and McNeese. xpeacex

Gil Dobie
Looks pretty good to me, but FWIW I had Richmond at 2 and the Hens at 3. UR beat UD in Newark and played AppSt a little tougher. xpeacex

Me too, because Richmond played App St tougher. :)

FCS Preview
December 17th, 2007, 01:31 PM
The team with the most significant loss of the week moved up 7 spots. xnodx

appstate38
December 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM
What do you have to do to be eligible to vote next year?

89Hen
December 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM
What do you have to do to be eligible to vote next year?
Be here. :p 100 posts and registration are the only requirements. xpeacex

WUTNDITWAA
December 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I went with Appalachian and McNeese too. Telling, telling loss by the Cowboys. Other than that, I think it's a solid poll.

HiHiYikas
December 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I did take into account how far a team got in the playoffs, but that was a low-level criteria for me. Just because you get matched up against the eventual champion in the first round doesn't mean you wouldn't have played them in the finals if the brackets had been made differently.

JMU's first-round exit shouldn't count against them as much as their best-of-the-field performance against National Champ ASU should count in their favor. 10 is much too low for them, IMO.

The great thing about FCS is the championship is played on the field. It robs the polls of a little of their legitimacy, but that's fitting. Polls shouldn't carry much legitimacy to begin with.

Based strictly upon what happened on the field in the playoffs, ASU > JMU > EWU > UR > UD.

BigApp
December 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM

I disagree. You went on the road twice to high caliber football teams in the playoffs and won. Richmond only did that once.

xthumbsupx

89Hen
December 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Based strictly upon what happened on the field in the playoffs, ASU > JMU > EWU > UR > UD.
The only problem I have with that is...

Wofford > GSU > ASU > JMU... plus UR beat UD and JMU head to head, but UD beat JMU... there are so many games to take into account. JMU did play App tougher than UD, but App got better as the playoffs went IMO. I honestly think that if JMU played App in Chatty, they'd have gotten smoked too. xpeacex

HiHiYikas
December 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM
The only problem I have with that is...

Wofford > GSU > ASU > JMU... plus UR beat UD and JMU head to head, but UD beat JMU... there are so many games to take into account. JMU did play App tougher than UD, but App got better as the playoffs went IMO. I honestly think that if JMU played App in Chatty, they'd have gotten smoked too. xpeacex
Hence my qualifier..."Based strictly upon what happened on the field in the playoffs..."

Wofford didn't beat ASU in the playoffs. GSU didn't beat anybody in the playoffs. Would these mythical playoff rematches have gone ASU's way? Who knows? Would JMU be hoisting a trophy right now if not for an ill-timed case of fumblitis? Again, who knows?

If ASU's round-to-round margin of victory shows that the Mountaineers got better and better every week, what do 37-point first round, 12-point second round, and 3-point third round victories, followed by a 28-point championship loss suggest for Delaware?

That's just a rhetorical question, of course. Polls and poll-voting methodoligies are 95% subjective.

I'm never sure If I'm voting properly or not. That's why I'm glad to know it doesn't really matter in the big picture.

lizrdgizrd
December 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I thought the same way but picked a different loss (JMU). xnodx

WrenFGun
December 17th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I'm excited to be able to vote on next season's poll, finally!

As for this poll, I think it's dead on. I have a hard time going with SIU over UNI, but SIU beat UMass and UD beat UNI, so I can understand the rationalization. I too would have had UR over UD. It's tough to put EWU over Montana, but EWU's strong playoff showing is likely what justifies it. I'm not sure I like E. Kentucky over UNH, but that's surely nitpicking. I think Georgia Southern and YSU should be above DSU, as it seems to be. I'd have the top 15 playoff teams, then GSU and YSU, and then DSU.

WrenFGun
December 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Whoops! Forgot NDSU. Despite Fordham's loss to UMass and Bucknell, I'd have them above GSU and YSU. They gave a solid playoff effort and won their conference. Everything else looks good to me.

mistersykes
December 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Fordham should have been higher, IMO.

Cincy App
December 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM

I also voted for ASU and McNeese St in these roles. I considered McNeese the biggest upset during the playoffs.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Overall, a pretty good ranking. Good job pollsters!!!

What's more refreshing is that this is only a poll and not a factor into who plays in a mythical national champion$hip!

ERASU2113
December 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
How does one register / become eligible to vote in the polls?

I'm interested in voting for next year and later years :D

Chi Panther
December 17th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Not that it matters, but UNI beat SIU....I'm still depressed....

Flyer Gramps
December 17th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Whoops! Forgot NDSU. Despite Fordham's loss to UMass and Bucknell, I'd have them above GSU and YSU. They gave a solid playoff effort and won their conference. Everything else looks good to me.

I actually agree with you. Some teams came on strong at the end of the schedule. That was true also of Dayton and they probably should have been a tick above Fordham if you were ranking teams as of the season end and not penalizing for "early cupcakes". The Flyers were smoking in ending wins against San Diego, Drake and Albany.

AZGrizFan
December 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I disagree. You went on the road twice to high caliber football teams in the playoffs and won. Richmond only did that once.

xthumbsupx

And that was the logic I used as well. The two road wins carried a lot of weight with me. xnodx

GeauxLions94
December 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM

Ditto

crunifan
December 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM
This poll is actually pretty horrid.

Explain to me how Delaware State is above Fordham?

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 17th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Good final poll. Most significant loss has to be Top Ranked UNI at home vs #13 UDel. Most significant win is no-brainer, ASU x 4!

OL FU
December 18th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I it is always hard to compare conferences. But one game does not a season makexnonono2x unless of course you lose to Bucknell late in the seasonxeekx

OhioHen
December 18th, 2007, 06:24 AM

I also looked at it as "most significant loss since the last ballot." I went with McNeese State. Based on how far teams dropped from the final regular season poll to the final poll, most voters seem to agree (even if they aren't able to figure it out when selecting their "most significant loss.") If UD had the "most significant loss," how did the Hens move UP 11 positions in the poll? xconfusedx

Hoyadestroya85
December 18th, 2007, 06:33 AM
not bad for my wildcats..

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I thought JMU was the most significant loss since they only lost to us by 1. I think they really had a good shot to go the distance if they'd not fumbled away that game (literally). xtwocentsx

89Hen
December 18th, 2007, 09:41 AM

THAT's your beef with the poll?? xconfusedx xconfusedx xeyebrowx

appfan2008
December 18th, 2007, 09:45 AM
The poll looks great to me... in the final poll the only thing that matters is getting the NC on the top spot and that happened 43 out of 43 times so I am happy

Proud Griz Man
December 18th, 2007, 09:47 AM

WTF? The team cleaned out their lockers three weeks ago and went home for the holidays. Your name should be High High Dufus.

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

89Hen
December 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM
WTF? The team cleaned out their lockers three weeks ago and went home for the holidays. Your name should be High High Dufus.

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x
xconfusedx IMO the worst loss has to go to either Montana or McNeese. Undefeated, seeded, at home, first round... Not really sure why this would even be in doubt. xconfusedx

Proud Griz Man
December 18th, 2007, 10:01 AM
xconfusedx IMO the worst loss has to go to either Montana or McNeese. Undefeated, seeded, at home, first round... Not really sure why this would even be in doubt. xconfusedx

You are very predictable. Show me one other time this year that you voted "Most significant Loss" for a game played 2 or more weeks ago. It is not a hard concept, unless you're just plain stubborn. xnonono2x

CSUBUCDAD
December 18th, 2007, 10:02 AM
The smartest ( or at least the most dedicated) hang into the endxthumbsupx

Had every intent on voting but got my notice to vote by 12 central time at around 1117 central time on my home email and I work until 4 so I was dink before I ever saw the notice. Guess I should have thought to check yesterday, but it was my first year to vote. Oh well, will know to check after the championship game next year.

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2007, 10:11 AM
You are very predictable. Show me one other time this year that you voted "Most significant Loss" for a game played 2 or more weeks ago. It is not a hard concept, unless you're just plain stubborn. xnonono2x

When was the last time we did the poll? 4 weeks ago. What sort of medication did you miss this morning? xeyebrowx

89Hen
December 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM
xconfusedx Show me another poll where four weeks went by since the last poll. Why are you making this about Montana? It's about two undefeated, seeded, home teams losing in the first round. You really don't think that's significant? Who's the stubborn one? xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Delaware State wasn't even in my final poll. xreadx

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Mine either. xsmhx

GannonFan
December 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM

You are a wise man indeed. xthumbsupx Good year for the Hornets, but the MEAC was exposed as just not very good this year. I thought the Hampton teams that played (yes I know they lost too) in the past few years were better teams than the MEAC champ this year. Heck, they almost won 2 of the 3 they lost.

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
1.Appalachian St.
2.Delaware
3.Southern Illinois
4.Richmond
5.North Dakota St.
6.Eastern Washington
7.Northern Iowa
8.Wofford
9.Montana
10.James Madison
11.Massachusetts
12.New Hampshire
13.Fordham
14.McNeese St.
15.Eastern Kentucky
16.Georgia Southern
17.South Dakota St.
18.Cal Poly
19.Villanova
20.Eastern Illinois
21.Dayton
22.Jackson St.
23.Hofstra
24.Youngstown St.
25.Harvard

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2007, 10:43 AM
You are a wise man indeed. xthumbsupx Good year for the Hornets, but the MEAC was exposed as just not very good this year. I thought the Hampton teams that played (yes I know they lost too) in the past few years were better teams than the MEAC champ this year. Heck, they almost won 2 of the 3 they lost.

I think the MEAC and the OVC were exposed in the playoffs. xnodx

GannonFan
December 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Agreed, I had high hopes for the OVC this year, but this was a step down from the positive showing they had in 2006 (well, positive in that they were competitive and even could've finally won a game). Unfortunately, this is becoming an annual thing for both of these conferences. xsmhx

Saluki09
December 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM
FWIW, 6-5 Western Illinois did beat 7-4 SDSU...not saying that WIU should be ranked higher than SDSU, but I am rather surprised they didn't receive any votes.

89Hen
December 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Agreed, I had high hopes for the OVC this year, but this was a step down from the positive showing they had in 2006 (well, positive in that they were competitive and even could've finally won a game). Unfortunately, this is becoming an annual thing for both of these conferences. xsmhx
Prior to the playoffs I thought EKU was one of the most underrated teams... I have no problem admitting I was wrong. xcoffeex

GannonFan
December 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Prior to the playoffs I thought EKU was one of the most underrated teams... I have no problem admitting I was wrong. xcoffeex

Look at that, we're even both wrong at the same time too - I was an EKU believer too until they bottomed out in the playoffs, again.

JayJ79
December 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I would think UR was too low, but that is just my bias showing.

pull up your pants! your bias is showing! :p
sorry, just couldn't resist the pun. not trying to imply anything.

Spider
December 18th, 2007, 08:43 PM

I agree with you 89......xthumbsupx

BULLDOG8180
December 19th, 2007, 12:33 AM
The Citadel would beat #18-25, nine out of ten times at least.

Grabholdofyosef
December 19th, 2007, 06:39 AM
After reading all these posts, I am SO glad the championship is decided on the field. Everything else is just stats and speculation and the stats are misleading because they are not apples to apples comparisons. Polls are great for stirring up questions and conversations that really dont have a final answer.

URMite
December 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Not sure what this means, just proud of our guys, and too much time on my hands but... I think here is a list of Top 17 teams that played more than 2 other Top 17 teams and their record against them.

ASU 4-2
UD 3-3
SIU 3-2
UR 5-1
JMU 1-3

I stopped at 17 because I think YSU & GSU may be the most talented teams not selected for the playoffs.

LacesOut
December 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Do you really care who finishes ranked #2-whatever? Do you really care who is ranked in the pre-season? Or during the season???

I just have never understood this fascination with polls for football.