PDA

View Full Version : Why is Appalachian so cheap?

MplsBison
December 17th, 2007, 08:54 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/Page%20D1%20copy.jpg

Cost of living notwithstanding, 3peat FCS national champions only gets you 100k?! Wow.

danefan
December 17th, 2007, 08:56 AM
link requires a password

Appstnole21
December 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
If your talking about Coach Moore only getting paid 100k a year, theres a good reason for that. Its his choice, thats what he came to App making and from what I was told by his daughter, he is offered a raise every year but turns them down in order for the school to give more money to the program and not him. Pretty classy if you ask me!

MplsBison
December 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM
If that's true, then Appalachian is the luckiest team in America.

But it sounds way too good to be true.

Seahawks Fan
December 17th, 2007, 09:11 AM
If that's true, my hat is off to the man. xbowx

th0m
December 17th, 2007, 09:14 AM
My hat is off to the man regardless, but that would be quite special if true!

Millwoch
December 17th, 2007, 09:28 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/Page%20D1%20copy.jpg

Cost of living notwithstanding, 3peat FCS national champions only gets you 100k?! Wow.

I am sure there is a bonus in there for winning the conference, national title, etc.

andy7171
December 17th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Joe Pa donates his coaching salary back to Penn State, of course I think he makes millions in endorsements.

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2007, 09:34 AM
If your talking about Coach Moore only getting paid 100k a year, theres a good reason for that. Its his choice, thats what he came to App making and from what I was told by his daughter, he is offered a raise every year but turns them down in order for the school to give more money to the program and not him. Pretty classy if you ask me!

I'm not sure how the teammakers donations coincide with the coaching salary, but Coach Bohl is listed in the back of NDSU programs as a $500-$24,999 member.

Kelly Green
December 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure how the teammakers donations coincide with the coaching salary, but Coach Bohl is listed in the back of NDSU programs as a $500-$24,999 member.

That is quite a range. How many different levels are there in Team Makers?

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2007, 10:43 AM
That is quite a range. How many different levels are there in Team Makers?

I mixed up the columns, he is actually in the $5,375 to 10,749 VIP Membership, Bison Club. Looks like 7 or 8 levels, by the back of the football program.

OldRef
December 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM
If that's true, then Appalachian is the luckiest team in America.

But it sounds way too good to be true.

It's true, he did that numerous times with the previous AD

Appdad
December 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Can a link to the article be posted?

appstate38
December 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM
If I am not mistaken... When he signed his last contract after the '05 season(I think) he got his assistants more money as well. Jerry keeping his staff together is one of the biggest reasons for the success we are enjoying right now.

MplsBison
December 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM

I tried but someone said you needed a password to view it.

Franks Tanks
December 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I think many Ivy Schools pay there coaches very well-i.e close to 200k. I have never been able to get much confirmation but according to multiple sources and what I have gathered Lafayette's Frank Taviani makes somewhere between 150-200k. I think this is pretty much the going rate for a coach at a solid FCS program.

back2back
December 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I think appstate38 is right. The raises he would get go to his assistants. I spent a year with Herschel Moore at Cumberland University and he was coaching into his 70's and that is what he did.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 17th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Being in 12th place out of the 100-and-something schools is not bad.

erobinson32
December 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Being in 12th place out of the 100-and-something schools is not bad.

Those aren't the top 12....

SuperJon
December 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM
What you have to remember is there are a lot of schools that pay their coaches more than some of those numbers listed that don't disclose the salary. Private schools don't have to tell you how much a coach is making. At Liberty, we have no clue exactly how much our coach is making.

appstate38
December 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Something else I think we are failing to consider is the endorsements that coaches have as well. If anyone noticed this year, the Apps changed uniform makers from Russell to Nike. I don't know for sure, but don't you think Jerry might have gotten something for himself and the Athletic Dept. Trust me guys, Coach Moore won't be a soup line anytime soon.

FargoBison
December 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM

North Dakota State has taken significant steps in becoming one of the top Division I Football Championship Subdivision programs in the country in the last four years. Next up on the list: the head coach’s salary.

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said he would like the Bison position to be in the top three in terms of salary in the FCS. But, in order to do that, it appears NDSU has some work to do.

Coach Craig Bohl has a base salary of $145,000 this year. A sampling taken by The Forum of some FCS programs around the country indicates that figure is in the middle of the road in comparison to big-name FCS schools.

Georgia Southern head coach Chris Hatcher, for instance, makes $200,000 a year.

NDSU lags behind schools like Coastal Carolina, James Madison, Portland State and Southern Illinois in base salary. Certainly, there are more out there. The sample survey does not take into account extras such as media shows and football camps.

Bohl’s package adds up to around $200,000, Taylor said.....

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/186416

thmst30
December 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I freaking LOVE Coach Moore. Nicest guy in the world, and a hell of a coach.

Drblankstare
December 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah it sure seems like Appy has a pretty special coach on their hands.

appstate1998
December 17th, 2007, 03:57 PM
you may think it's a hick town...but cost of living in boone is one of the highest you will find in the south. 1200 sf house (one i was renting when i lived there) was sold for 250,000k and it wasn't that nice. That is why most professors live in TN or 30 minutes from Boone.

OLDLCOACH111
December 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Here is what I was able to dig up from a newspaper Article.........
Money does not matter to Moore, he loves where he is at..

No one is happier about having Jerry Moore at Appalachian State than first-year athletics director Charlie Cobb, 37, a former assistant coach on N.C. State University's football staff.

In an era of exorbitant coaching salaries, Cobb is getting a relative bargain.

Moore, in his 17th season at Appalachian State, earns $100,000. Many assistant coaches in the Division I-A Atlantic Coast Conference earn considerably more.

"But Jerry isn't in coaching to get rich," Margaret Moore says. "He's in it because he loves it and always has. And we're still in Boone after all these years because we love it here. There's not a better place to be."

Moore has had chances to leave for bigger programs. He won't cite specific schools but says he has listened to a few offers.

"I've coached at the I-A level, and I could have gone back at least a couple of times," he says. "But since I've been here, I haven't been offered a job I want more than this one.

"If you're happy with the job you've got in this business, it means something," he said. "The older you get, the more I think you appreciate that. I'm very happy doing this job."

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/394065.html

Monarch History
December 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Moore is a special man who is respected both as a coach and person. He is a devout Christian who is not afraid to share his faith with his players.

ASU is fortunate to have him lead their program. xnodx

ERASU2113
December 17th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Moore's contract goes through the 2009-10 season. It was extended that far after last season. He'll most likely get a longer extension or another one year after this season. As far as amount, Moore decides to keep it low because he loves the program & school.

Seawolf97
December 17th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Moore is a special man who is respected both as a coach and person. He is a devout Christian who is not afraid to share his faith with his players.

ASU is fortunate to have him lead their program. xnodx

Obviously it works with 3 National Titles to his creditxnodx