PDA

View Full Version : Kats Lose Allen for Season to Steroids

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2005, 02:08 PM
This is not good news at all. Unfortunate for the Bearkats and brings the steroid argument closer to home than never before. Philip Daughtery now becomes the starting QB for the Kats as Allen will be out the entire year...

BREAKING NEWS: SHSU quarterback suspended for steroid use

By Jason Barfield/[email protected]

As Sam Houston State prepares to face Texas Tech this weekend, the Bearkats will do so without starting quarterback Noah Allen who was ruled ineligible by the NCAA on Thursday and will miss the rest of the season, according to the SHSU athletic department. A credible source with the athletic department told The Huntsville Item that Allen was suspended after testing positive for steroids on an NCAA drug test last month.

Athletic director Bobby Williams had no further comment, and head coach Todd Whitten said Allen was not going to be with the team for a violation of team rules.

Allen was the starter last Saturday in the Bearkats loss to Houston, and as of Thursday afternoon was still listed as the starter for Saturday's game against the Red Raiders.

Allen has not been in practice all week, and player were informed on Tuesday that Allen was not going to be with the team, however no time frame for his return was given.

For more details on the story read Friday's edition of The Huntsville Item.

http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/09/15/news/local/news1.txt

Proud Griz Man
September 15th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Steroids? Did he unknowingly take them ala Barry Bonds? :confused:

kats89
September 15th, 2005, 02:15 PM
This is not good news at all. Unfortunate for the Bearkats and brings the steroid argument closer to home than never before. Philip Daughtery now becomes the starting QB for the Kats as Allen will be out the entire year...

As Sam Houston State prepares to face Texas Tech this weekend, the Bearkats will do so without starting quarterback Noah Allen who was ruled ineligible by the NCAA on Thursday and will miss the rest of the season, according to the SHSU athletic department. A credible source with the athletic department told The Huntsville Item that Allen was suspended after testing positive for steroids on an NCAA drug test last month.

Athletic director Bobby Williams had no further comment, and head coach Todd Whitten said Allen was not going to be with the team for a violation of team rules.

Allen was the starter last Saturday in the Bearkats loss to Houston, and as of Thursday afternoon was still listed as the starter for Saturday's game against the Red Raiders.

Allen has not been in practice all week, and player were informed on Tuesday that Allen was not going to be with the team, however no time frame for his return was given.

I am not believing what I am reading!!

buckp
September 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Very depressing....:(

Kats were so pumped up this season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 15th, 2005, 02:24 PM

The real sad part is where there's one there's sure to be others. This might open up a whole can of worms for SHSU. I think they could be in line for a long season, or atleast a very long afternoon this Saturday.

TxSt02
September 15th, 2005, 02:39 PM
The real sad part is where there's one there's sure to be others. This might open up a whole can of worms for SHSU. I think they could be in line for a long season, or atleast a very long afternoon this Saturday.

Can of worms for OU as well I would think... Didn't he transfer from there? I always thought some of those dudes were on roids...

TXST_CAT
September 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM

Sorry to hear the news. I know the SAM faithfull were looking forward to the season with Allen. In hope he is alone on this one. I also hope Whitten was not aware of this before playing Allen the last two games could open a can of worms of it's own.

TXST_CAT
September 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Literally.... :eek: Ok, not funny but I couldn't help it.

kats89
September 15th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear the news. I know the SAM faithfull were looking forward to the season with Allen. In hope he is alone on this one. I also hope Whitten was not aware of this before playing Allen the last two games could open a can of worms of it's own.

According to the article the tests were taken a month ago and the results just hit. He would not know anything until the test results came out. Glad we are deep at this position. :bang:

Paves the way for the Tx Tech transfer and the other QB's. Man, this really sets up a storyline for Saturday. Former Tx Tech QB starts Saturday against the Red Raiders. :nod:

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 15th, 2005, 02:52 PM
According to the article the tests were taken a month ago and the results just hit. He would not know anything until the test results came out. Glad we are deep at this position. :bang:

Paves the way for the Tx Tech transfer and the other QB's. Man, this really sets up a storyline for Saturday. Former Tx Tech QB starts Saturday against the Red Raiders. :nod:

You might be deep, but there's always a reason one person starts over the next guy. Saturday might be a game even the die-hard kat fans want to look away from.

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM
My thoughts..

I think the Bearkat athletic folks will handle this accordingly as they have shown their abilities to deal with issues like this in the past. This is not a good day for SHSU or the SLC in general as I think any negativity in the SLC at any school reflects the conference in general.

Best of luck to all parties involved and hopefully everyone involved handles this appropriately, which is something we've all come to expect with our athletic program at SHSU...

TXST_CAT
September 15th, 2005, 02:54 PM
89, I'm only going to say this because you talk so much crap and this statement is only directed to you. Believe it! Your boy was juice'n and put your team's season on the line. I wish it wouldn’t have happened, but I’m sorry to say it did. Think twice next time you want to talk about our QB situation or our “probation” that doesn’t exist. I just hope your new HC didn’t play Allen having already known this information. The NCAA might not look down on such an act so lightly given all the press on steroid use lately. On the bright side it was caught early and you have a stack of quality QB’s.

buckp
September 15th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by buckp

.....I left the ;) off at the end of the sentence just to be nice, but you caught it.....my bad!

BCisforBobcatTX
September 15th, 2005, 02:59 PM

I disagree, I think that was pretty damn funny. :D

TXST_CAT
September 15th, 2005, 03:00 PM
My thoughts..

I think the Bearkat athletic folks will handle this accordingly as they have shown their abilities to deal with issues like this in the past. This is not a good day for SHSU or the SLC in general as I think any negativity in the SLC at any school reflects the conference in general.

Best of luck to all parties involved and hopefully everyone involved handles this appropriately, which is something we've all come to expect with our athletic program at SHSU...
Seriously this incident is going to headline the game.
TX TECH to play SAM HOUSTON STATE who just relieved starting QB for steroid use.
Just hope it doesn’t lead to an NCAA inquiry before the game otherwise it will be the next line on the headline.

TXST_CAT
September 15th, 2005, 03:02 PM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That Funny?

kats89
September 15th, 2005, 03:13 PM
89, I'm only going to say this because you talk so much crap and this statement is only directed to you. Believe it! Your boy was juice'n and put your team's season on the line. I wish it wouldn’t have happened, but I’m sorry to say it did. Think twice next time you want to talk about our QB situation or our “probation” that doesn’t exist. I just hope your new HC didn’t play Allen having already known this information. The NCAA might not look down on such an act so lightly given all the press on steroid use lately. On the bright side it was caught early and you have a stack of quality QB’s.

I am not saying that I don't believe it. I am very disappointed just like I was disappointed when Mathenia got busted. I have never said this can't happen at SHSU.
As far as thinking twice about statements, some of those statements were made when all the smack talking was going on. Anything I have said in the past is my opinion which I am entitled to, just like you. I love to talk football with anyone that wants to talk it. And I also will talk a little smack when someone wants to talk it. Just because I say your QB is "overrated" doesn't mean that everyone else has my opinion. IT IS MY OPINION. So, get off your soapbox

TXST_CAT
September 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I am not saying that I don't believe it. I am very disappointed just like I was disappointed when Mathenia got busted. I have never said this can't happen at SHSU.
As far as thinking twice about statements, some of those statements were made when all the smack talking was going on. Anything I have said in the past is my opinion which I am entitled to, just like you. I love to talk football with anyone that wants to talk it. And I also will talk a little smack when someone wants to talk it. Just because I say your QB is "overrated" doesn't mean that everyone else has my opinion. IT IS MY OPINION. So, get off your soapbox

Apology accepted. :smiley_wi

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Glad your so mature. This is a serious issue as I think steroids is hitting close to home, right in the Southland Conference. I am sure the SLC and the member schools will bring this up as a serious matter and will use Noah as an example of what can happen to athletes. Doesn't matter what sport, all athletes will meet the same fate.

Steroids is a serious issue. Yes, we are rival schools, but I'm sick of steroid use across the board from kids to teens to professional athletes. I don't care if it happened there or here or anywhere. The AD where I work was very adamant about drug use and steroids. It is a serious issue and while you may laugh some that it happened at a rival school, but we all as fans, parents, brothers and sisters need to make sure our kids lay off the steroids.

Bub
September 15th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Steroids is a serious issue. Yes, we are rival schools, but I'm sick of steroid use across the board from kids to teens to professional athletes. I don't care if it happened there or here or anywhere. The AD where I work was very adamant about drug use and steroids. It is a serious issue and while you may laugh some that it happened at a rival school, but we all as fans, parents, brothers and sisters need to make sure our kids lay off the steroids.

I couldn't agree more. Go to a high school sporting event. You will be able to see kids who are unbelievably muscular and lean. It's dangerous for them and the kids who play against them. California has gone to testing in HS, I think all states should.

GrizzlyEdd
September 15th, 2005, 04:20 PM
:( Bad enough and sad enough for the Pros to be using.... but when it is a young man still in college, it is even more tragic. It is a shame that it has gotten to the point that college and probably HS kids feel that they have to use steroids just to feel that they are competitive.... damn depressing...:mad:

golionsgo
September 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM

I hate to hear that for the Sam Houston fans. It's a shame one kid's desire to get an artificial edge has the potential to taint an entire program. Hopefully it's just an isolated case and others aren't involved. It's not fair to the rest of your team, students, or alumni.

One thing is for sure, you won't hear any of our fans popping off as this can happen in any program at anytime.

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2005, 04:53 PM
One thing is for sure, you won't hear any of our fans popping off as this can happen in any program at anytime.

No, it'll just be the same ole Bobcat fans that'll be popping off as you put it and letting us know what they truly think about our program...

We wouldn't expect hearing it from Lions, Bears or other classy fans in the league...

Cat79
September 15th, 2005, 05:05 PM
TT,

I am sorry to see this. I watched this kid play ball here at Pearland. He seemed to be a good person and well liked by all. I hope he gets his life straight.

I wish the BearKat fans the best in overcoming this situation. Go Wreck Tech!!

bobcatfan06
September 15th, 2005, 05:14 PM
No, it'll just be the same ole Bobcat fans that'll be popping off as you put it and letting us know what they truly think about our program...

We wouldn't expect hearing it from Lions, Bears or other classy fans in the league...

Yep, and Sam fans are the classiest fans in the SLC. :rolleyes:

And TT, how about posting different things than copying and pasting the same thing on 10 different sites. :bang:

kats89
September 15th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Talking about HS kids taking steroids, I think it was Southlake Carroll High school in Texas that had about 20+ kids that tested positive. Someone in Texas correct me if I am wrong. I remember it was a 5A school up near the Dallas area.

blackfordpu
September 15th, 2005, 06:16 PM

I'm with you Kats, when I first saw the headline I thought it was a prank (and not a funny one). From what I hear Allen was a great athlete and didn't need the extra boost. Hopefully it wasn't the competition for the starting job that drove him to this. I promise all you bobcats one thing, Whitten did not know of this. He would not let that slide, plus the test results were just released.

Now it is time to see what Daugherty can do. Lets not let this take presidence over supporting the Kats. Just another bump in the road.

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2005, 06:37 PM
The story has hit the AP Wire. This instance coming from the Fort Wayne newspaper...

Sam Houston State quarterback ruled ineligible

Associated Press

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - Sam Houston State quarterback Noah Allen has been ruled ineligible by the NCAA, school officials announced Thursday.

Paul Ridings, the school's sports information director, said officials could not comment on the ruling.

Allen, a junior who transferred from Oklahoma, will not return this season, Ridings said. He was the starter in last week's 31-10 loss to Houston.

Sophomore Wade Pate will start for Sam Houston (1-1) against No. 19 Texas Tech on Saturday.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/sports/12655734.htm

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 15th, 2005, 06:41 PM
I've personally seen the use of steriod use in the lower divisions of the NCAA. I've also seen HS athletes with steroids, although most of them never used them but felt compelled to keep them. It's a sad situation but given the competitive nature of athletics in this country some feel forced to engage in it.

bobcatfan06
September 15th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Talking about HS kids taking steroids, I think it was Southlake Carroll High school in Texas that had about 20+ kids that tested positive. Someone in Texas correct me if I am wrong. I remember it was a 5A school up near the Dallas area.

I thought it was Colleyville and Grapevine?

BCisforBobcatTX
September 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a high school in the state of Texas that didn't have some athletes taking some form of performance-enhancing drugs. I went to a private school and we had guys taking illegal amphetamines before games. It's a pretty rampant problem.

Terror, since this isn't a Bobcat message board I try to not talk trash, but if Nealy was caught doing steroids, you and your Bearkat cronies would be talking so much noise it'd be deafening so don't even try to say that.

kats89
September 15th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I thought it was Colleyville and Grapevine?

You know what? I think it was Grapevine. I just remember a bunch of kids getting busted over them.

Allen, a junior who transferred from Oklahoma, will not return this season, Ridings said. He was the starter in last week's 31-10 loss to Houston.

If Ridings is saying he is out for the season then it must be a done deal. Unfortunate, absolutely unfortunate. :bang:

Got to get focused for Tech.

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Time to see if our depth at QB actually means something. Eat'em Up Kats!

Eagle_77
September 16th, 2005, 10:40 AM
It is done a lot more than it is seen in college. I know when I played just a few years back only a couple of players from each team were choosen at random to be tested for Steroids. The test are so expensive that the NCAA could not give test to all players. So there will always be guys that know the odds are in their favor and take the chance. Very sad.

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM
It is official.

Allen out for the season: SHSU quarterback to miss 2005 after testing positive for steroids
By Jason Barfield/Sports Editor

Noah Allen transferred from Oklahoma to Sam Houston State University before the 2004 season with hopes of showcasing his talents on the I-AA level. As a sophomore, he watched most of last season from the sideline as senior Dustin Long led the Kats to the national semifinals. This season was supposed to be Allen's chance to shine, but that dream ended Thursday.

Allen was ruled ineligible by the NCAA on Thursday and will miss the rest of the season. A credible source with the athletic department told The Huntsville Item that Allen was suspended after testing positive for steroids on an NCAA drug test last month.

full story: http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/09/16/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt