PDA

View Full Version : UAPB Traveling to Div II Henderson State in '08

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Why is Henderson State hosting Arkansas-Pine Bluff? Did the Reddies save up all their money from being the Div II prey of quite a few Southland foes over the last few years?

Before it comes up...yes, there is one other FCS school that traditionally travels to lower division schools, Charleston Southern. They head to North Greenville and that is ridiculous too.

So, what's this mean for the rest of the SWAC? Will we see similar scheduling by some of the schools outside the Big 3?
------------------------------------------------
Reddies Football Schedule Includes UCA, UAPB
by ArkansasSports360.com Staff [comment on this article]

Henderson State athletic director Sam Goodwin announced Thursday the Reddies will play host to the University of Arkansas as Pine Bluff as part of the 2008 football schedule that also includes Central Arkansas.

The Reddies, which have combined for a 15-6 record the last two seasons, will open the 2008 season against NCAA Division I opponent the University of Central Arkansas on August 28 in Conway, Ark. with the opening kickoff set for 7 p.m.

Henderson State and UAPB have reached an agreement for a game to be played at Carpenter-Haygood Stadium on September 6 with kick off slated for 6 p.m.

The two teams last met in 1994 when UAPB beat the Reddies 32-16 at Carpenter-Haygood Stadium. The Reddies are 8-3 all time against UAPB.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=101610.53914.113728

813Jag
December 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Why is Henderson State hosting Arkansas-Pine Bluff? Did the Reddies save up all their money from being the Div II prey of quite a few Southland foes over the last few years?

Before it comes up...yes, there is one other FCS school that traditionally travels to lower division schools, Charleston Southern. They head to North Greenville and that is ridiculous too.

So, what's this mean for the rest of the SWAC? Will we see similar scheduling by some of the schools outside the Big 3?

Henderson State athletic director Sam Goodwin announced Thursday the Reddies will play host to the University of Arkansas as Pine Bluff as part of the 2008 football schedule that also includes Central Arkansas.

The Reddies, which have combined for a 15-6 record the last two seasons, will open the 2008 season against NCAA Division I opponent the University of Central Arkansas on August 28 in Conway, Ark. with the opening kickoff set for 7 p.m.

Henderson State and UAPB have reached an agreement for a game to be played at Carpenter-Haygood Stadium on September 6 with kick off slated for 6 p.m.

The two teams last met in 1994 when UAPB beat the Reddies 32-16 at Carpenter-Haygood Stadium. The Reddies are 8-3 all time against UAPB.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=101610.53914.113728
I doubt you see much of this from other SWAC teams, unless they are having trouble scheduling.

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I doubt you see much of this from other SWAC teams, unless they are having trouble scheduling.

UAPB was able to get a 'favor' from UCA after some previous snafus in that relationship (UAPB scheduled two foes on the same date, squeezing UCA out of a game and never paying them the $$$ for that one).

UCA President is good friends with UAPB President, if I recall...those two matching up also makes plenty of sense...and Little Rock, hopefully -- they can draw a large crowd.

Maybe we'll one day see TxSo and PVA&M making some sense and getting into rivalry games with SHSU and SFA. :)

unicat87
December 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM
UAPB was able to get a 'favor' from UCA after some previous snafus in that relationship (UAPB scheduled two foes on the same date, squeezing UCA out of a game and never paying them the $$$ for that one).

UCA President is good friends with UAPB President, if I recall...those two matching up also makes plenty of sense...and Little Rock, hopefully -- they can draw a large crowd.

Maybe we'll one day see TxSo and PVA&M making some sense and getting into rivalry games with SHSU and SFA. :)

That would make sense! (For TxSo and Prairie View to play SHSU and SFA). Let's hope that happens soon. :) -unicat87

Mr. Tiger
December 16th, 2007, 09:35 PM

I hope so. I don't understand UAPB's logic here, but I don't see the others following it.

ucdtim17
December 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Sac played in Davis every other year when we were D2. I guess I have to give them credit for not bailing on the series when they were getting embarrassed every year by a D2 team. Now they can get embarrassed by someone at their own level

BigApp
December 16th, 2007, 11:25 PM
San Diego regularly travels to an NAIA school.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2007, 08:07 AM
San Diego regularly travels to an NAIA school.

Yeah, but that's expected of non-scholarship schools, who in many cases, treat themselves like Div III schools and in such manner, have no problems traveling to sub-Div I schools. We see it every year...

3rd Coast Tiger
December 17th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Yeah, but...

Now that's the TT I know. xthumbsupx

UCABEARS75
December 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM
It will not be an upset if Henderson wins.

The Gulf South is tough, Henderson's coach has been bringing in some athletes from Texas (most probably not D-I eligible) and lastly UAPB has problems; money, etc.

Purple Pride
December 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=101610.53914.113728xasswhip x

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Now that's the TT I know. xthumbsupx

So, when's the Alois that we all know going to rear his head and announce for FBS foes for next year's 2008 slate? :D

jstate83
December 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Don't get it.
It would not cost much to bring Henderson to Pine Bluff.

Delta State would have a malfunction if JSU was crazy enough to travel to their place not to mention the clowning it would cause here.

JSU did this against New Haven back in 1999 because our President at the time parent's lived in that area.
People here clowned that decision like Ringlin' Brother circus.xlolx
That won't ever happen again.

'Splain UAPB.xconfusedx

BEAR
December 17th, 2007, 12:32 PM
From what I remember about UAPB, they year they scheduled 2 games on the same day...a day when they were supposed to play a charitable game called the Capital City Classic at War Memorial in Little Rock. Sorry charity. Sorry UCA. OK. xconfusedx The NCAA imposed a $25,000 fine. UCA knew what the financial situation at UAPB was and told the NCAA not to bother with the fine. Left a bad taste in UCA's mouth. That is why this surprises me. I know they have all new administration and new coaches etc..but wow..we had to schedule a subpar DII team afterward just to fill in the spot they left!

UAPB...you are being given advanced notice...NATHAN BROWN is coming to the Rock and he is very happy to have a little practice...heck.. he's more worried about Henderson St. than UAPB.! xlolx