PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Championship game held on a friday???

mrklean
December 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I never understood why the I-AA championship game was moved to a friday. Why did they do this? DO they know that more people would come to nooga if it was held on a Saturday? SOme people cant get off on Fridat to come to the game. This is just another example of non-football fans running sports. Any REAL college football know to have a game on Saturday!!!

MplsBison
December 16th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Maybe they're trying to differentiate themselves from the DII and DIII games that are on Saturday?

I don't think we want people associating our division of football with those divisions.

Eight Legger
December 16th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I have wondered the same thing. I assume it's because FCS folks figure they can "own" Friday night, as opposed to competing with basketball and other sports on Saturday afternoon.

However, I would prefer to see the game on Saturday night. There'd still be no other football on, and I suspect the game would get better ratings, and more people could make it there in person too.

I believe that the other two divisions used to play their title games during the FCS semifinals weekend. Am I right? Personally, I would think ESPN would rather televise the FCS title game on Saturday as opposed to the two lesser divisions. If not, I would have no idea why not. Seems to me FCS folks could do some negotiating with ESPN to get this game moved.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Just like anything else, it has to come down to $$$ and TV

ESPN wants to fill its Friday night void.

Friday or Saturday, I like it as a night game and hope that it would continue to be played under the lights if it ever moved back to Friday.

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2007, 11:52 AM
However, I would prefer to see the game on Saturday night. There'd still be no other football on, and I suspect the game would get better ratings, and more people could make it there in person too.

Wasn't there an NFL game last night? There would be football on Saturday competing against the Div I title game...they always go on Saturdays at this point of the season, when the FBS regular season is over...

NDSUFREAK
December 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM
yeah, i was thinking that because of the 2 other football championships on saturday its better to have it on friday to sepperate ourselves from them. friday night is legit

Mountain Panther
December 16th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I never understood why the I-AA championship game was moved to a friday. Why did they do this? DO they know that more people would come to nooga if it was held on a Saturday? SOme people cant get off on Fridat to come to the game. This is just another example of non-football fans running sports. Any REAL college football know to have a game on Saturday!!!

Big game under the lights, and more viewers for ESPN. The almighty $ wins again!

Besides, it give those crazy App fans ALL DAY to booze before their ceremonial dash onto the field. xthumbsupx

Eight Legger
December 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Wasn't there an NFL game last night? There would be football on Saturday competing against the Div I title game...they always go on Saturdays at this point of the season, when the FBS regular season is over...

I suppose you are technically correct....though I am not sure I would classify Bengals-Niners as "NFL"....

:D

KiddBrewer
December 16th, 2007, 01:08 PM
ha tickets were 150 on ebay. i dont think they are having trouble finding enough people to come on friday night these days.