PDA

View Full Version : Would a Chatty expansion help in the future?

Shockerman
December 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Seems like one of the real culprits with the whole "fangate" incident is that students and fans had direct access throught the field via the grass seating in the endzone. If CHatty were to expand that area to permanent seating wouldn't that help out with this in the future? Everyone realizes it wasn't a good thing last night and there are many parties to blame but I was just curious what you all think.

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Rotating the game to other cities should also be in the conversation.

Cleets
December 15th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Ya... OTHER CITIES...
homes games are nice for regular season schedules but not a great idea for the playoffs...

If the Playoffs were held at Cal Poly every year we'd hear nothing but SoCon complaints yet we have a home field championship for the SoCon...

Just an observation...

I want a championship game in:
Texas at TCU
and maybe somewhere in Missouri and then maybe California...

after that we can talk about balanced fair play....xlolx

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Rotate it to five regions, include Chatt in the mix too:

1. Sacramento
2. Somewhere in the SLC footprint
3. Chattanooga
4. Indianapolis
5. Philadelphia

JDC325
December 15th, 2007, 02:45 PM
It needs to be in the South and near the East coast. I am not saying that due to bias but to logistics. The OVERWHELMING majority of FCS teams are on or MUCH closer to the East Cost and the weather is always better in the South this time of year. I know they probably could have sold 40K tickets in a bigger venue. I think next time around a bigger city with a bigger facility will bid on the game if it continues to sell out.

mainejeff
December 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM
It needs to be in the South and near the East coast.

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Applete
December 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
does anybody else really think that if App was not in the championship and it was not in Chatty, then we would really have had that many people there. I mean just think if say Southern Illinois and UMass made it to the Championship. Do you think the stadium would have been that full? Just a question. I'm just speaking on proximity of the venue and fanbase not the success or or followings of each team.

unicat87
December 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Ya... OTHER CITIES...
homes games are nice for regular season schedules but not a great idea for the playoffs...

If the Playoffs were held at Cal Poly every year we'd hear nothing but SoCon complaints yet we have a home field championship for the SoCon...

Just an observation...

I want a championship game in:
Texas at TCU
and maybe somewhere in Missouri and then maybe California...

after that we can talk about balanced fair play....xlolx

I think the players might just like playing the final at Cal Poly, but a long way to travel for most fans who would want to be at the game. Maybe have the final two weeks after the semi-finals and make it even more like a bowl game if it were held in such a place. -unicat87

unicat87
December 15th, 2007, 03:28 PM
It needs to be in the South and near the East coast. I am not saying that due to bias but to logistics. The OVERWHELMING majority of FCS teams are on or MUCH closer to the East Cost and the weather is always better in the South this time of year. I know they probably could have sold 40K tickets in a bigger venue. I think next time around a bigger city with a bigger facility will bid on the game if it continues to sell out.

While I would miss how it is in Chattanooga for the game (and they generally do a fine job with it, the locals in Chattanooga), perhaps the FCS title game has outgrown that and maybe needs to find a home perhaps in the Georgia Dome or SuperDome or Legion Field in Birmingham, if it is believed that 40k tickets would be sold instead of 23k. -unicat87

Appdad
December 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM
While I would miss how it is in Chattanooga for the game (and they generally do a fine job with it, the locals in Chattanooga), perhaps the FCS title game has outgrown that and maybe needs to find a home perhaps in the Georgia Dome or SuperDome or Legion Field in Birmingham, if it is believed that 40k tickets would be sold instead of 23k. -unicat87

40K would echo in those venues. Nothing as uninspiring as a UAB game with 30,000 people in 80,000+ Legion Field.

Cleets
December 15th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Whatever the case...
The fear of having 30k people in an 80k venue is not reason enough for Championship games serving as homes games for one conference and one conference only... xlolx

The game needs to be moved around - and I have not heard a single reasonable argument for keeping it in Chattanooga... xeyebrowx

DSUrocks07
December 15th, 2007, 03:55 PM
40K would echo in those venues. Nothing as uninspiring as a UAB game with 30,000 people in 80,000+ Legion Field.

Agreed. If anything, Chatty should expand to about 30,000 if they want to keep the NCG, or rotate to sites with similar sized stadiums. The App St/UD matchup was an NCAA wet dream, big traveling fanbases. Other schools can't even touch those numbers.

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
An expansion is needed in chatty if they want to keep the game IMO... but if it was to move I would not want it in a stadium with more than 40k seats bc 95% of the time it wouldnt come close to a sell out

ShgooseAPP
December 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
The big thing is what do you do when you have two small schools playing for the national championship that won't travel well at all.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Lets rotate between Vegas, Vegas, Vegas, then Vegas.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Seriously, what's the down side?

KiddBrewer
December 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM
ive been happy it has been in chatty.....close as it can probably get to home, anywhere else and itd be stretchin my funds.xoopsx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM
ive been happy it has been in chatty.....close as it can probably get to home, anywhere else and itd be stretchin my funds.xoopsx

I suppose we should make it convenient to App fans for the foreseeable future.:(

Applete
December 15th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Come on people, be reasonable. It's only a southern conference home game if someone from the southern conference makes it to the Championship. If the game was held somewhere in the Big Sky or CAA and Montana or JMU/Delaware had 3-Peated then we would be talking about that venue.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 15th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Come on people, be reasonable. It's only a southern conference home game if someone from the southern conference makes it to the Championship. If the game was held somewhere in the Big Sky or CAA and Montana or JMU/Delaware had 3-Peated then we would be talking about that venue.

If that was in response to my post I didn't mean it as a dig against App.

Just noting that in all likelyhood they'd be back.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I still say Vegas.xwhistlex

Applete
December 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Whatever the case...
The fear of having 30k people in an 80k venue is not reason enough for Championship games serving as homes games for one conference and one conference only... xlolx

The game needs to be moved around - and I have not heard a single reasonable argument for keeping it in Chattanooga... xeyebrowx

It was more for Cleets.........

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Rotating the championship is a terrible idea.

I would rather Chattanooga lose the game than rotate it...people who want a rotation have no clue what it takes to put on this event...how long it takes to develop a following for this game.

There is a reason so few cities will even bid for this game. This isn't the final four or the BCS title game. This is an event with a small budget and very little overall support from the NCAA and/or ESPN.

If a different city hosted it every year, each one would be marred by problems because EVERY first year event is a madhouse (I know, I have worked plenty of them in different sports).

No city should have to accept any less than a 3-year commitment to host an event...because it takes that long just to get it "right" (Chattanooga is a perfect example...look at the way the city embraces the game compared to just 5 years ago).

And to put the event in 1) a non-FCS town and 2) a stadium larger than 35K would be a mistake. For example, I have seen games with UAB...30K looks embarassing on TV at Legion Field (it looks remarkably like a Chattanooga home game at Finley with only 4-7,000 xbawlingx ...but that's another story).

I think this is a prime example of "you never know who good you had til it's gone". Which I dare say is what many will say if the title game went to a bigger stadium/city.

TV, Newspaper, downtown restaurants, shops and clubs all become 100% title game for the whole week now in Chattanooga...very few places will ever roll out the welcome mat like that.

Anyone who wants to step up the plate is certainly welcome too.

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 05:42 PM
How much longer does Chattannooga have it on this contract? I think they are kind of in a pickle. If they expand they run the risk of someonw out bidding them when the contract runs out. And UTC does not come close to filling it. I hope that will change Mocs. And it's definitely a problem any time App plays for the title, which I hope will continue, but as has been said what about when NDSU and EWU play in the final. No offense to either fan base but that is a long trip and would not expect many to make it.

GSU Just One More Time
December 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Avg. Attendance of National Championship game. The last 11 years it has been in Chatt. Avg. Number of fans - 15,790. (UTC - home field, UTC never been in game) (97 - 07)
Prior to Chatt. it was in Huntington, WV. Avg. number of fans - 30,160
(Marshall home field, Marshall played in 4 of the 5 games there.) (92 -96)
Prior to Huntington. it was in Statesboro. Avg number of fans - 20,532
(GSU home field, GSU played in 2 of the 3 games) (89-91)
Prior to Statesboro. it was in Idaho, Avg # of fans - 11,506
(Idaho home field, Idaho didn't play in game) (87, 88)
Prior to Idaho, It was in Tocoma, Wash. Avg # of fans 4,900 (85,86)
Prior to Tocoma, it was in Charlston SC. Avg # of fans 12,500 (83,84)

Here is my point Chatt. has Averaged great numbers the community goes to that game. There have been two place that have done better Huntington and Statesboro. 4 out of the 5 years it was in Huntington Marshall was in the game. 2 out of the 3 years it was in Statesboro GSU was in it. Now I am all for putting it back in Statesboro (it was 80 degrees here yesterday)
but getting here is not easy. Also, If we get back to the game it would not be fair. We could move it back to Huntington but I don't think it would go as well there now because Marshall is in the FBS. So that leaves us with what? The game should be in a city that has FCS team. I think it should be somewhere that weather is not a major issue, and the city is going to support the game. Chatt. has all of those things. The other issue i have with moving the game 8 out of the 11 years there has been a team from the Socon in this game and 17 out of the 22 teams have been east coast teams. When you look at all that the game should stay on the east coast and in the south. It is closer for fans of the teams that go to the NC Game. I know some of you are not going to agree but if Montana and Montana St. were going to the game year after year I would say it should be out west.

rfeng
December 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM
One of the reason for the poor attendance is that people don't have enough time to arrange transportation. Another reason is that Chat isn't a vacation city.

The game needs to be moved around to different parts of the country to a 30-40K seat stadium - there is no reasonable argument for keeping it in Chattanooga at all. Having the game in different parts of the country also makes sense.

The game needs to be in a resort, Las Vegas was mentioned, Disney Word, New Orleans, etc, areas where people can go and vacation for a week. Having the game in Chattanooga makes no sense unless the stadium is made available for free. Even that isn’t a reasonable argument.

The championship game should be scheduled a minimum of 3 weeks after the semi final game to give students and fans time to purchase cost effective plane tickets, hotel rooms and give them time to travel.

A radical idea is to have the semi final game and final games in the same city 5 or 6 days apart. That would put 4 college fan bases in the same city with blocks of tickets and hotel rooms assigned to each school. (Then the semi final game would have to be scheduled 3 weeks after the quarter finals to give people time to arrange transportation.)

Cleets
December 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM

I've been talking about the Venue since 2004... when it was a slop-fest and was possibly the single most embarrassing example of 1-aa Athletics shown on TV... ever

thankfully somehow they got it right the following years...

BUT: The point is it needs to be moved around... Period
and actually Las Vegas a few years in a row would be sweet...

1) Easy to get to from anywhere
2) Cheap Rooms
3) Cheap Flights

great for everybody..!!!

Applete
December 15th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I'm not defending Chatty by any means but i'm just saying, don't give me the home game speil. I almost got shot by a 12 year old on a bicycle with a hand gun on thursday night (no joke). This was just one street behind Carter street as I was trying to scope out parking and all that for friday. Anyway, I would definitely agree with a central US location and some sort of resort location would be nice too. Wherever that would be.

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
One of the reason for the poor attendance is that people don't have enough time to arrange transportation. Another reason is that Chat isn't a vacation city.

The game needs to be moved around to different parts of the country to a 30-40K seat stadium - there is no reasonable argument for keeping it in Chattanooga at all. Having the game in different parts of the country also makes sense.

The game needs to be in a resort, Las Vegas was mentioned, Disney Word, New Orleans, etc, areas where people can go and vacation for a week. Having the game in Chattanooga makes no sense unless the stadium is made available for free. Even that isn’t a reasonable argument.

The championship game should be scheduled a minimum of 3 weeks after the semi final game to give students and fans time to purchase cost effective plane tickets, hotel rooms and give them time to travel.

A radical idea is to have the semi final game and final games in the same city 5 or 6 days apart. That would put 4 college fan bases in the same city with blocks of tickets and hotel rooms assigned to each school. (Then the semi final game would have to be scheduled 3 weeks after the quarter finals to give people time to arrange transportation.)

Having the game in as in Vegas, Orlando (or New Orleans???) will attract almost no locals, will get very little press coverage from the "big city" papers and almost everyone in FCS will have to fly...which equals about zero student support...and heaven forbid to small schools make the finals...the place would look like a high school.

So far, I haven't heard a reasonable argument NOT to keep it in Chattanooga (besides bluster from some who have obviously never worked in event/sports management before)

And don't get me wrong, there are obviouslt other smaller FCS cities that could do a wonderful job hosting...but so far, I have yet to see anyone step up and make a better bid.

The reason Vegas, Orlando, etc have not made a bid is because THEY DON'T CARE! Just because some fans want it there, doesn't make it a reality.

Applete
December 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
How about Aloha Stadium, Hawaii......ha ha, which meets only half of my requirements.....jk by the way.

GSU Just One More Time
December 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
rfeng,
do you know the average attendance of FCS teams? I would bet that there is about 5 -8 schools that could fill UTC's stadium. It just so happened that this year two of the schools that travel well and have good attendance were in the game. The problem with waiting to play the game is you get into bowl season and ESPN, ESPN2 and most other sports networks would much rather broadcast a bowl game than the FCS Championship. If the game is going to be moved every year then in should be on Campus for the highest seeded school in the game. FCS can seed
1 -16 and if it is 1 vs 2 then it is a home game for the #1 seed. That would be the only way I can see moving the game every year.

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Orlando would be cool. And I like the idea of scheduling the NCG during FBS bowl time, on an off day. This would definitely allow people time to plan and provide a destination for other than football. Lets let some sponsors fight it out and call it the "your name here" FCS Bowl.

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Having the game in as in Vegas, Orlando (or New Orleans???) will attract almost no locals, will get very little press coverage from the "big city" papers and almost everyone in FCS will have to fly...which equals about zero student support...and heaven forbid to small schools make the finals...the place would look like a high school.

So far, I haven't heard a reasonable argument NOT to keep it in Chattanooga (besides bluster from some who have obviously never worked in event/sports management before)

And don't get me wrong, there are obviouslt other smaller FCS cities that could do a wonderful job hosting...but so far, I have yet to see anyone step up and make a better bid.

The reason Vegas, Orlando, etc have not made a bid is because THEY DON'T CARE! Just because some fans want it there, doesn't make it a reality.

Florida is drivable for most east coast folks. I do it twice a year and see plenty of NY, NJ etc. tags on the road. Midwest and West Coast have to fly to Chatty anyway so it wouldn't be a change for them. I agree that the cities mention probably don't care about hosting. I blame the NCAA for that. That, the headline on their website today saying that we beat DelEware State and many other things just go to show that we are the "red headed step children" of the NCAA(please, no offense to any redheaded step children out there in AGS land, just a figure of speechxpeacex )

Again, when does Chatty's contract expire? 'cause it want even matter until then.

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Lets let some sponsors fight it out and call it the "your name here" FCS Bowl.

Let's see...

The Division I National Champion Game

or

the Poulan Weedeater FCS Bowl

Great Idea! xsmhx

Next!!!!

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Let's see...
The Division I National Champion Game or The Poulan Weedeater FCS Bowl
Great Idea! xsmhx
Next!!!!

Well. the "Roady's Bowl" is taken...

http://www.roadyshumanitarianbowl.com/

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Let's see...

The Division I National Champion Game

or

the Poulan Weedeater FCS Bowl

Great Idea! xsmhx

Next!!!!

OK, then call it the "your name here" FCS Championship Game for crying out loud. You guys don't have to be such smart***es. Would it not hurt to try to take some of the control away from ESPN. I'm sorry to offend Chattannooga by even suggesting that the game be taken away from them, which I'm actually not, just suggesting competition for bids, which you have done also C-mocs. It's just a shame that when there is a game that more people want to go to than the stadium can hold so many people have to stay home. And gosh, I was trying to defend you some about the quandry you could be in when it comes to adding seats. And I would still like an answer to the question about Chatty's contract. I figured you would have that information. Thanks.xpeacex

APP91
December 15th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Vegas would be nice.

Solution, any other city who wants to bid, let 'em go for it.
This is not a decision to put it in a place, a city has to bid for it.
For those of you who want to move it, have that city bid.
It's really pretty easy.

D1scout
December 15th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Scary, because most of your post makes sense! But, you realize that anyone with common sense doesn't get the opportunity to make the decisions on this matter.xthumbsupx

Appalachian
December 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM
When we went to Charleston for The Citadel game this year, I was impressed with their stadium expansion. I don't know how many people their stadium will seat, but Charleston would be a nice alternative, good weather (for December) and a great city with a FCS program. Also plenty of hotels, airport and lots to do and see. When the stadium is expansion is complete, it will be one of the better FCS venues.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM
When we went to Charleston for The Citadel game this year, I was impressed with their stadium expansion. I don't know how many people their stadium will seat, but Charleston would be a nice alternative, good weather (for December) and a great city with a FCS program. Also plenty of hotels, airport and lots to do and see. When the stadium is expansion is complete, it will be one of the better FCS venues.

I live outside of Philli, but my sister lives in Charleston. Charleston would be a great idea. VERY historic mid size southern city with 2 I-AA programs. Weather in Dec usually not too bad. Lots of sights to see & things to do, bars, restaurants. I wonder how big their stadium will be. If its going to be in the mid 20s...hmmm.

Bottom line Chatty needs to expand.
21.7 k (official capacity) is too small
35-40 k would be too big
25-30 would be just right.

They should be told expand at least 3k, keep the game (bowl in one of the endzones could add about 5k). If not the NCAA will at least consider other cities.

ERASU2113
December 16th, 2007, 01:11 AM
does anybody else really think that if App was not in the championship and it was not in Chatty, then we would really have had that many people there. I mean just think if say Southern Illinois and UMass made it to the Championship. Do you think the stadium would have been that full? Just a question. I'm just speaking on proximity of the venue and fanbase not the success or or followings of each team.

No it would not have been full at all. Chatty sells out only if a team travels well. (ex. ASU) If say for example you had SIU and UR (no offense) The place wouldn't be packed. Neither team travels well.

If a bigger city was to bid on it, they'd most likely need a guarantee the place would sell out. That only happens if you get an ASU, UD, or UNI there.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2007, 01:19 AM
vegas or another cheap flight.

Big Dawg
December 16th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Orlando would be cool.

Sure would be, and if FAMU made to the National Title game, attendance would be GREAT!!!xlolx

I'm just kidding, but Florida does seem like a nice place to have it. The weather would be nice as well. The idea of switching regions is nice. Kinda like the BCS championship game.

unicat87
December 16th, 2007, 02:27 AM

I've been to a few games at Legion Field and thought it was just fine. Can you imagine what it would have been like with 60k App fans and 10k UD fans Friday night? I think that would have been very inspiring. :) -unicat87

813Jag
December 16th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Orlando would be cool. And I like the idea of scheduling the NCG during FBS bowl time, on an off day. This would definitely allow people time to plan and provide a destination for other than football. Lets let some sponsors fight it out and call it the "your name here" FCS Bowl.
There's two issues with moving the game to Orlando:
1. The Citrus Bowl holds about 70,000. I don't know if UCF's stadium would be available.
2. The Florida State Championship football games are played on that weekend as well as the previous weekend.
I don't really know how well the locals will turn out with no exposure to FCS football outside of the Florida Classic.

Golden Eagle
December 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM
The fact of the matter is that any stadium expansion is not needed, and the "demand" to do so is really not based on anything but people who are sad they couldn't get tickets to the game. Outside of when ASU plays in the title game, they have never ever filled that stadium. Not the three years Georgia Southern made it. Not when Furman made it. Not when WKU or McNeese or James Madison made it.

There is no reason to expand. Expansion would only embarass I-AA to see a half-empty stadium on TV for a so-called national championship game. To bank on Appalachian making it (or selling it out if they don't) ever again is just silly. Maybe if it sold out for a cross-section of teams from various parts of the country, say if Montana-Sam Houston or Missouri State-Stony Brook (heh) sold it out. Okay, then you have made your point for expansion.

Until then, the current situation is certainly acceptable.

Ronbo
December 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Only one city serves as a truly neutral field that seats just enough fans, has plenty of outside recreation, lot's of Hotel rooms, cheap flights, and will draw good fan bases from all schools. LAS VEGAS. Even UMass, New Hampshire, and EWU would get 6000-7000 to Las Vegas. App. State, Youngstown, GSU, Montana, and UNI would get 12,000 to 15,000 there.

Cleets
December 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Only one city serves as a truly neutral field that seats just enough fans, has plenty of outside recreation, lot's of Hotel rooms, cheap flights, and will draw good fan bases from all schools. LAS VEGAS. Even UMass, New Hampshire, and EWU would get 6000-7000 to Las Vegas. App. State, Youngstown, GSU, Montana, and UNI would get 12,000 to 15,000 there.

That settles it..!!! xlolx
now what do we do next to get this thing started... somebody give me an action item and lets get rolling..!!!!

MplsBison
December 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Sam Boyd Stadium (35k), Las Vegas Nevada:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/UNLVSamBoydStadium.jpg

Polar Bear
December 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Sam Boyd Stadium (35k), Las Vegas Nevada:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/UNLVSamBoydStadium.jpg

WOW thats an awesome venue, add some barbed wire to keep those unruly ASU fans in check and we have a new home for the NC game. Just Kidding. Real nice stadium. xthumbsupx

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM

The reasonable argument for keeping it in Chattanooga is that they have invested in the game with no guarantees of a sellout. That's a problem in America today, no loyalty to those who helped you get there. Other than a bad sound system (you could only hear it in the bathrooms on the visitor side) there is no reason that Chatt should lose this game.

With that said, Vegas wouldn't be the worst option if they chose to move it as long as packages could be secured to get a primarily eastern and mid-western based division to the game without being priced out

813Jag
December 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I think the main thing is that the game is supported by the locals. It shouldn't be up to the two teams playing to fill up the stadium. Looks like Chatty is doing a good job.

MplsBison
December 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I think purely out of fairness, the game should be moved to a stadium that is not the home stadium of a FCS team.

Big Dawg
December 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM
1. The Citrus Bowl holds about 70,000. I don't know if UCF's stadium would be available.
2. The Florida State Championship football games are played on that weekend as well as the previous weekend.
I don't really know how well the locals will turn out with no exposure to FCS football outside of the Florida Classic.

Are the state championships gonna be held there again next year. I know Florida switches up every once in a while. The games were in Miami I believe the two years before this years games, Gainesville for a couple of years, and Tallahassee for a year or two.

danefan
December 16th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Wow. Huge picture.

I know some people don't like this because it makes it seem like we are searching for fans (but maybe we are).

Why not have the games in a major non-FCS city that has a draw for something else (Vegas would work perfect).

Have the DI championship Friday night. Have the DII Saturady afternoon and the DIII saturday night.

ESPN will not have to spend as much money on the broadcasting of the three games and could invest more into making it an "experience".

In those years that teams make it that don't have a large contingent, you will have fans from the DII and DIII schools that will inevitably want to see the DI game.

Its what they do for the NCAA Lacrosse finals and they sell an enormous amount of tickets every year. I would book my trip for the next five years and it wouldn't matter who was playing.

813Jag
December 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Are the state championships gonna be held there again next year. I know Florida switches up every once in a while. The games were in Miami I believe the two years before this years games, Gainesville for a couple of years, and Tallahassee for a year or two.
I believe it will be in Orlando next year, after that I don't know.

bamamountaineer1013
December 16th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Well, they wouldn't have really had a problem if they hadn't allowed people to sit basically on the field with no type of barrier preventing field access. The FCS has made the big time, and in the big time, it is not uncommon for people to be left at home if they can't get tickets. The fact is, they cannot allow people on that hill with no fencing up...too many things can go wrong.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 16th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Wow. Huge picture.

I know some people don't like this because it makes it seem like we are searching for fans (but maybe we are).

Why not have the games in a major non-FCS city that has a draw for something else (Vegas would work perfect).

Have the DI championship Friday night. Have the DII Saturady afternoon and the DIII saturday night.

ESPN will not have to spend as much money on the broadcasting of the three games and could invest more into making it an "experience".

In those years that teams make it that don't have a large contingent, you will have fans from the DII and DIII schools that will inevitably want to see the DI game.

Its what they do for the NCAA Lacrosse finals and they sell an enormous amount of tickets every year. I would book my trip for the next five years and it wouldn't matter who was playing.

I agree with you Dane and proposed the same thing during the off season, but the idea was shot down by most on AGS which surprised me. Lacrosse and Hockey have been weekend events and have built impressive followings who don't care who is playing. I truly don't understand why the same couldn't be done for football. xconfusedx

Some said they didn't want to associate with D-II and D-III football due to the identity issue with those classifications. To me, that issue can be resolved and isn't major enough to be a "show stopper".

Some said football was different and wouldn't draw crowds like hockey and lacrosse do. That one I really don't understand at all.

If I'm going to make a significant expenditure of time and money when my team isn't involved, then I want as much "bang for the buck" as I can get. Having three football games to attend would meet that criteria.

I-AA Fan
December 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Thanks you for having the most intelligent post in the thread Applete.

The games at Marshall were larger, but did have Marshall in the final. GSU sold out their championships as well. There is absolutely no reason it has to stay east coast or southern ... who cares about weather? Football is an all-weather sport, and much more fun in the snow.

Now let's get with MplsBison and show him how to reduce the size of his images.

jonmac
December 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Good points. I am all for moving the NCG to after Christmas. North Carolina state championships are currently held the same weekend, Friday night and Saturday as the current NCG. Really only applies of course if North Carolina team is playing in NCG but does cause problems for some fans, not facilities of course.

Playing over Christmas break might encourage more casual fans from participating schools to come since there is so much else to do in Orlando. And if BCU or FAMU could get there then interest may pick up in Florida. Just some thoughts. And you're right also that Citrus Bowl would be too big. What's UCF's new place supposed to hold?

Biggest personal advantage when App plays would be free place to stay, ain't family great xwhistlex

edit--I would also like to think that the excitement, though sometimes overzealous, shown the last 3 years, (wow, has it been 3 years, did ya'll realize that?xsmiley_wix ) will have a positive effect on future NCG participants. What I'm trying to say is I hope all you other folks can ride our wave and have great crowds come with you.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 07:38 PM
The reasonable argument for keeping it in Chattanooga is that they have invested in the game with no guarantees of a sellout. That's a problem in America today, no loyalty to those who helped you get there. Other than a bad sound system (you could only hear it in the bathrooms on the visitor side) there is no reason that Chatt should lose this game.

With that said, Vegas wouldn't be the worst option if they chose to move it as long as packages could be secured to get a primarily eastern and mid-western based division to the game without being priced out

In reference to the sound system...the Friends of Finley (aka, some wealthy loyal Mocs supporters) invested almost 100K in a new sound system this year that was "so good" that people actually complained to turn it down (I can find you threads from C-N, WCU and Furman fans joking about how loud the system was).

Unfortunately, some idiot turned the bass level all the way up the night before the game during a run thru with the Golden Knights and blew the bass speakers.

(So now, Friends of Finley will be buying MORE new speakers...well, at least the bass speakers, for next season).

Oh well...**** happens. Just like they will correct the problem with fans running on to the field.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Something else to think about...

I remember when the Championship game in Chattanooga was averaging 12-14K. that is 60-70% full. People complained that Chattanooga should lose the game because it was "embarrasing" how empty the place looked...how no one in Chattanooga supported the event.

So, to make a 70K stadium 60-70% full, you are going to have to come up with 42-49,000.

Even if you go half that size...70% of Sam Boyd is basically the same number as we had at Finley on Saturday night (24K)...would you rather have a full to the rafters stadium with an incredible atmosphere or 70% full stadium?

...if you go to Vegas are you going to have to rely heavily on the visiting teams bring fans (how many Vegas locals to you really think will go to the game, seriously)...

1) do you really think 35,000 fans are going to fly in? Hell, do you think 17,000 fans (half full) will fly in? What happens if Wofford and New Hampshire (no offense to either program) make the finals in place like Orlando or Vegas...big stadium with about 5,000 fans in the seats...now that screams excitement!

Or, you can show some loyalty to a city that take a tremendous amount of pride in hosting the event....a city that has stood up and done EVERY SINGLE THING THE NCAA HAS ASKED THEM TO DO (and even taken the fall when the NCAA screwed up...cough, the turf fiasco, cough, no bleachers allowed by the NCAA but standing in the grass okayed by the NCAA). NOTE: As I have stated before, the sports committee was naive to not have more security on that end of the field...it certainly won't happen again.

Chattanooga was even forced by the NCAA to guarantee sales of up to 14,000 per game (meaning, less than 14K sold, the sports committee had to pay the NCAA the difference)...they did so with no argument. Chattanooga has taken every risk to host the game...and everyone here has worked their asses off to make it successful.

(I know first hand, I have volunteered my time to work 8 of the 11 events...I worked, for free, from 3:30pm until nearly 2:00am on Saturday...I worked the media pass gate early, the press box in the middle...had the 2nd half off to drink beer in the Coke skybox :)...took photos immediately after the game...and was right back at work handing the mic to media at the post game press conferences)

jonmac
December 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
C-mocs, I don't think were are trying to criticize the way Chatty has handled. I personally would like to hope that attendance will be high from now on regardless of whether or not App plays in the game. Like I said before I just hope some of the excitement will spread and continue. So I would like to see as many fans at future games as were there Friday night and I just think it would be nice to have seats for that many, 25,000 seats would be great, I think. Thanks for you hard work in years past. Oh, and I heard on another board that this was Chatty's last year of the current contract with an option for next year, is this correct?

ps- wish I was closer to Chattannooga, would love to work the game, whoever is playing.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
C-mocs, I don't think were are trying to criticize the way Chatty has handled. I personally would like to hope that attendance will be high from now on regardless of whether or not App plays in the game. Like I said before I just hope some of the excitement will spread and continue. So I would like to see as many fans at future games as were there Friday night and I just think it would be nice to have seats for that many, 25,000 seats would be great, I think. Thanks for you hard work in years past. Oh, and I heard on another board that this was Chatty's last year of the current contract with an option for next year, is this correct?

ps- wish I was closer to Chattannooga, would love to work the game, whoever is playing.

This is the bottom half of an article from the T-FP (the main part of the article was about the game itself...this talks about the crowds, next year, and the fans on the field)...

(Hopefully I didn't print too much of the article that the mods get upset)

Merrill Eckstein, president of the Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee, which organizes the event, said the estimated economic impact on the city was $2.6 million -- which is about the same as last year when Mountaineers fans made up most of the 22,808 to see ASU beat Massachusetts for the 2006 title.

Asked if there was any concern about becoming too dependent on Appalachian State reaching the championship game each year, which essentially guarantees a sellout and maximum profits, Eckstein said that's no longer an issue because local support has grown significantly over the 11 years that Chattanooga has hosted the game.

"I remember when we first started hosting the game, we were hoping to sell 4,000 tickets locally," he said. "That's no longer the case. Now we're selling 10- or 11,000 tickets here locally, so even if you have two schools that only bought a few thousand tickets apiece, you still have 15,000 people in the stadium."

Eckstein said the break-even mark, financially, is $230,000, or roughly 14,000 tickets.

Just as support for the game has improved over the years, so too has the overall experience for the participants. Delaware coach K.C. Keeler led the Blue Hens to the title here in 2003 and he said everything about the game was much better than it was four years ago.

"It's been 100 times better this time around," he said. "In 2003 they didn't seem quite as organized, but now it is truly a championship feel -- it's a bowl-game feeling -- and I don't how much better they could have done. I don't know what there is to improve on at this point, because everything is so good."

This was the last year of Chattanooga's contract with the NCAA and there is an option for next year, which Eckstein said he was 99.9 percent certain would be exercised. The one issue that must be addressed before next December is crowd control.

With more than three minutes remaining in Friday's game, more than 5,000 Appalachian State fans had left the stands and surrounded the field.

"The one good thing I'll say about having all those fans on the field is that they seemed to behave themselves," Eckstein said. "Nobody ran out on the field and nobody caused any real problems.

"That doesn't mean we want them out there like that, but at least we avoided any kind of incident."

jonmac
December 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks. I'm hoping we make it again next year, maybe I'll be able to come next time.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
BTW...to the person who earlier stated that Chattanooga should "give the stadium to the game for free"....

Chattanooga pays expenses for running the event...that is the first 14,000 tickets (like I said previously, if it is below that number, Chattanooga has to pick up the tab)...so in a sense, they PAY the NCAA to host.

...then anything over 14K is SPLIT between the NCAA and the local sports committee (meaning the absolute max the sports committee makes for hosting an SRO sellout is $90,000).

My only point is, this is not a financial cash cow...the real "profit" to Chattanooga is the exposure and the dollars spent tourism-wise.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 08:43 PM
"It's been 100 times better this time around," he said. "In 2003 they didn't seem quite as organized, but now it is truly a championship feel -- it's a bowl-game feeling -- and I don't how much better they could have done. I don't know what there is to improve on at this point, because everything is so good."

Pretty nice praise...especially considering his team had just lost the game.

Grabholdofyosef
December 16th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I think Charlotte, NC would be a good place to have it, but you run into the same problem with an NFL stadium that seats 70,000.

Where are the 30,000-40,000 seat stadiums? I think that capacity in a decent size city near the middle of the majority of FCS schools would be ideal. Any ideas?

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I think Charlotte, NC would be a good place to have it, but you run into the same problem with an NFL stadium that seats 70,000.

Where are the 30,000-40,000 seat stadiums? I think that capacity in a decent size city near the middle of the majority of FCS schools would be ideal. Any ideas?

Here are your criteria for a new host...

1) they have to be interested
2) they have to at least be near an FCS school
3) they probably need to be in the mid-eastern half of the U.S. (where the vast majority of schools are located)
4) they have to have a stadium no more than about 30-35K seats
5) they have to have enough hotels within 20-30 miles to accomodate visitors

Skjellyfetti
December 16th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I think Chattanooga does a GREAT job with the game and would be sad to see it go anywhere else. Would also feel bad to see the game in a huge stadium when two smaller schools make it to the game.

Only problem with Chattanooga this year was the lack of control at the end of the game. From my observation it seemed the cops and national guard that were placed in the scoreboard endzone were informed that Appalachians fans would probably rush the field and to allow it to happen. Very stupid of the Appalachian fans to crowd the field with 3:30 left in the game. However, I've seen this happen two other times recently at App games. Semifinal game last year against Youngstown State (where they rushed early and had to be called off the field), Richmond this year (crowded the field similar to championship game), and the championship game on Friday. Now, all these were not as close as most had expected beforehand and I think the impatience sitting through a quarter or two of football waiting to celebrate caused the premature field rushing in all these cases. Just myxtwocentsx .

SU Jag
December 16th, 2007, 09:28 PM

When was this? UAB has been having troulble getting 20,000xrolleyesx Their attendance sucks bad!

SU Jag
December 16th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Whats been the attendance for the title game over the past 10 few years?

UDBlueLotFan
December 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Whats been the attendance for the title game over the past 10 few years?

Goto pg. 3, GSU OMT quotes all the att'ds.

What about Mobile, AL? Warm, used to hosting all-star games, etc. Not sure about stadium size, but on tv I guessing 35k? I would be curious about The Citadel in CHS, but agree that Choo-Choo is a good spot as long as either App, UM or UD aren't playing one another. UD could have sold 5k more seats this year.

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Goto pg. 3, GSU OMT quotes all the att'ds.

What about Mobile, AL? Warm, used to hosting all-star games, etc. Not sure about stadium size, but on tv I guessing 35k? I would be curious about The Citadel in CHS, but agree that Choo-Choo is a good spot as long as either App, UM or UD aren't playing one another. UD could have sold 5k more seats this year.

I love Charleston...and think they could host just as easily as Chattanooga (though I don't think their sports committee is nearly as good as Chattanooga's)...the only issue is, Johnson-Hagood really isn't any bigger than Chattanooga (they might be able to get an extra 1,500 in?)

So, if attendance is the real issue at Chattanooga...Charleston isn't the answer.

Mobile wouldn't be bad either (I am not sure who the closest FCS school is to there)...that would be more an issue, because they host so many events, if they are really interested in another one.

There is the rub...I can name numerous locations that could, given time and experience, produce a great game...BUT, actually wanting to host the event is the issue that will eliminate 90% of those cities from consideration.

As an example, people in the SoCon complain because the basketball tournament seems to always now be in Charleston or Chattanooga...the problem is, they are the only two cities that actually bid for it...I will say here what I always say in that argument...

"you can't MAKE a city bid on a tournament" :)

DinoDex200
December 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I love going to Chattanooga for the game. Really a great little city if you've never been.

I think the idea that the locals are warming up to it might be dead on. When the SEC Championship game first came around, people really didn't know what to make of it, and the crowds weren't that great...now, you can't get a ticket, regardless of who's playing.

I think we can all agree that there are a few fanbases that will really go a long way to making these crowds regularly large:

-App
-Delaware
-N. Dakota State
-Montana
-Ga. Southern
-UNI
-YSU
-JMU

Schools like Monty St. and The Citadel might be able to pull decent numbers too...but those 7 I just listed will definitely help make it a good crowd. And - of course - the possibility of Chatt. making it would guarantee a crowd (although, I wonder if they'll ever be able to be that good).

The bright side to that is, it's a better than fair bet that one of those 7 schools will be in this game on a fairly regular basis. That being said, I don't see why Chattanooga doesn't put seats in that grassy area and close it off. (or put up attractive metal fencing like the kind App has around the bank at KBS now).

If that stadium sat 25k, you would have had 25k+ in there. It's almost a missed revenue opp. in years like this.

In addition - I don't think App is alone in this charging the field thing (I've seen it happen with other schools in Chatty), it's just the sheer numbers of us that is overwhelming. If the organizers put the proper police presence out there, it wouldn't happen. period.

Much like with anything else - the kids did it because they could.