PDA

View Full Version : How does UD replace Flacco and Cuff?

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Do you guys have good backups? Please pardon my ignorance. What's the overall outlook for next season? I know it's early yet, but...

Eight Legger
December 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
UD coaches are actively working the rosters of every I-A team to find disgruntled backups to recruit as starters for next year's squad. . .

:D

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I have a prediction.. Jordan Steffy QB Maryland

Rob Iola
Thaxton will be a fine replacement for Cuff for next season.
As for QBs there's really no one of note in the pipeline, although I'm sure that KC is getting more than a few nibbles from disgruntled second string QBs at 1-A schools (Jordan Steffy would be an ironic candidate, seeing as how we kick-off w/MD next season).

Rob Iola

Wow - that was spooky!

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 12:47 PM
he's a backup now.. but he seems pretty talented from what i saw of him September 1st..
(Yes I'm a Nova student who is willing to make the short trip to see a football game) Byrd stadium is pretty nice... i heard they're doing more to it as well..

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
1. Convince Flacco and Cuff that college is good.

2. Send them to a plastic surgeon.

3. falsify education documents and give them new names.

4. re-worry about the problem in four years.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

PS, UNH should do the same with Santos and Ball :p

Polloloco
December 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Forget about what CUFF and FLACCO did in the stat columns ( which is difficult since they were a juggernaut) Delaware CANNOT replace 2 senior leaders without missing a beat. Learning curve for a new QB and durability issues with CUFF's replacements ( Thaxton and Butler). I see the Hens qualifying for the tournament with their defense but not advancing beyond first round.

spelunker64
December 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM

If you find a way for that to work, let Steve Walker know...

89Hen
December 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM
The answer is the same way the Hens replace Hall and Bennett after 2003. It may be immediate, it may take a while. Flacco and Cuff were great players and won't ever be forgotten by UD fans, but we will move on.

BTW, Flacco in person in street clothes really looks young... I'm talking like 17-18 young. xeyebrowx

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I want the Giants to draft Flacco to put pressure on Eli.. kind of like Scott Brunner and Phil Simms

devilhen
December 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
UD coaches are actively working the rosters of every I-A team to find disgruntled backups to recruit as starters for next year's squad. . .

Note: URI doing same thing, just with less success.xrotatehx

devilhen
December 17th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Do you guys have good backups? Please pardon my ignorance. What's the overall outlook for next season? I know it's early yet, but...

Good prospects at running back. Different than Cuff, but good. Offensive line will lose some seniors, but we have good depth there. Defense will be better. QB is a questionmark (at this point)...

WildCat In The Hat
December 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the starting QB for UD in 2008 is ........Pat Bostick from Pitt. Freshman forced into action this season, Wandstadt wasn't thrilled with him, already has 3 new QB commits this year-one is a Juco transfer. Would be a Delaware steal, PA high school player of the year in 2006.
BTW Hen fans-this is just a guess-no inside info here.

GannonFan
December 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Eh, you have to replace great players all the time. For Cuff, Thaxton and Butler (torn ACL in the fall) along with Bradley are there at RB. Butler especially, looks to have tons of talent.

At QB, one of the bright sides of bringing in transfers at that position is that 2 of the last 3 QB's brought in that way at UD will be NFL draft picks (Hall and now Flacco) - UD's not suffered going the transfer route at that position. And now with the success of those transfers, they should be at the top of many people's lists if they are thinking of transferring. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

The offensive line is a concern, losing 3 starters. But two backups played most of the playoffs because half of the starting offensive line was hurt (makes the run through the playoffs that much more impressive) so there's reason to hope they can replace the big guys up front.

Next year for UD they'll need to rely on a defense that returns every playmaker from this year. Since they were pretty young, optimism abounds in Newark.

BlueHen86
December 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the starting QB for UD in 2008 is ........Pat Bostick from Pitt. Freshman forced into action this season, Wandstadt wasn't thrilled with him, already has 3 new QB commits this year-one is a Juco transfer. Would be a Delaware steal, PA high school player of the year in 2006.

Oh no, I can hear ESPN already, "Delaware's Quarterback, Pitt Transfer Pat Bostick...."xsmhx

xlolx

Rob Iola
December 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Oh no, I can hear ESPN already, "Delaware's Quarterback, Pitt Transfer Pat Bostick...."xsmhx

xlolx

Won't Wannstedt make him sit out a year???

WildCat In The Hat
December 18th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Won't Wannstedt make him sit out a year???

Wannstedt may want him to-but it's Bosticks choice. I would guess he's not real happy with all of "We need to upgrade our QB" talk by the coaching staff and then bringing in 3 highly recruited QBs next season.
I'd be very surprise if Keeler isn't at least watching the developments.

bluehenbillk
December 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Omar was a great RB, an all-timer but UD has a sophomore to be in Thaxton & a Wisconsin transfer in Butler who missed this year due to injury that will negate much of any dropoff.

Sean Scanlon is the best returning QB we have & the reviews on him are mixed. It's been reported that UD will look hard & heavy at the transfer route and with the Andy Hall's & Joe Flacco's of the world is there really a more attractive option for disgruntled 1-A QB's??

devilhen
December 18th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Wannstedt may want him to-but it's Bosticks choice. I would guess he's not real happy with all of "We need to upgrade our QB" talk by the coaching staff and then bringing in 3 highly recruited QBs next season.
I'd be very surprise if Keeler isn't at least watching the developments.

It's not his choice - if Pitt wants to, they can withhold his release & force him to sit a year. We have already seen this with the "coach" from Pitt.

WildCat In The Hat
December 18th, 2007, 08:23 AM
It's not his choice - if Pitt wants to, they can withhold his release & force him to sit a year. We have already seen this with the "coach" from Pitt.

I think if Bostick wanted out he'd be out. Who did Wannstedt do it with Flacco? If so, he may have forseen his future QB woes. I think it is a negative recruiting PR move when a coach does that-especially when he brings 3 QBs in the next recruiting class. I believe the door is open for Bostick to leave.

89Hen
December 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Sean Scanlon is the best returning QB we have & the reviews on him are mixed.
Mixed? xeyebrowx I didn't see any positive comments.

GannonFan
December 18th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Mixed? xeyebrowx I didn't see any positive comments.

I liked him. There's a postitive one! xthumbsupx

89Hen
December 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I liked him. There's a postitive one! xthumbsupx
Liked him calling the signals in? xeyebrowx :p

The only games I saw him in were Monmouth and DelSt. He didn't get to do much in the DelSt game except hand off, but in the Monmouth game he looked like a deer in the headlights. Sacked three times. xeyebrowx

GannonFan
December 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Liked him calling the signals in? xeyebrowx :p

The only games I saw him in were Monmouth and DelSt. He didn't get to do much in the DelSt game except hand off, but in the Monmouth game he looked like a deer in the headlights. Sacked three times. xeyebrowx

He did fine in the Spring game. Maybe we just need to avoid schedules that involve games in the Fall??? xlolx :p

BDKJMU
December 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Forget about what CUFF and FLACCO did in the stat columns ( which is difficult since they were a juggernaut) Delaware CANNOT replace 2 senior leaders without missing a beat. Learning curve for a new QB and durability issues with CUFF's replacements ( Thaxton and Butler). I see the Hens qualifying for the tournament with their defense but not advancing beyond first round.

You fail to mention the 3 starting o-lineman their losing too, including an All American. The big boys never get enough credit. They look set at receiver & tightend, but breaking in new, inexperienced tailbacks, a new inexperienced qb behind 3 new o-line starters isn't good. Cuff if I'm correct never (or almost never) fumbled. Young talented but inexperienced (1st/2nd year) backs often do fumble (as JMU painfully experienced) this season with trying to use a young running back by committee to replace sure handed Holloman. It could be the same if UD uses a young running back by committee to replace Cuff.

Their schedule next year is tougher:
@ Maryland
@ Furman
@ UMAss
@ Hofstra
@ JMU
@ UR
Nova

OMG! That is a BRUTAL schedule. A BCS and possibly 6 pre season ranked teams, plus W&M has at least 17 starters back.
http://travisliles.com/fcs/caa
This year they barely made the playoffs (8-3, 7 Div I wins) and then had a great run. Next year I don't see them as good playing a way tougher schedule. I don't see them making the playoffs. I think their only shot is coming up with a great transfer at QB. xcoffeex

GannonFan
December 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
You fail to mention the 3 starting o-lineman their losing too, including an All American. The big boys never get enough credit. They look set at receiver & tightend, but breaking in new, inexperienced tailbacks, a new inexperienced qb behind 3 new o-line starters isn't good. Cuff if I'm correct never (or almost never) fumbled. Young talented but inexperienced (1st/2nd year) backs often do fumble (as JMU painfully experienced) this season with trying to use a young running back by committee to replace sure handed Holloman. It could be the same if UD uses a young running back by committee to replace Cuff.

Their schedule next year is tougher:
@ Maryland
@ Furman
@ UMAss
@ Hofstra
@ JMU
@ UR
Nova

OMG! That is a BRUTAL schedule. A BCS and possibly 6 pre season ranked teams, plus W&M has at least 17 starters back.
http://travisliles.com/fcs/caa
This year they barely made the playoffs (8-3, 7 Div I wins) and then had a great run. Next year I don't see them as good playing a way tougher schedule. I don't see them making the playoffs. I think their only shot is coming up with a great transfer at QB. xcoffeex

Well, two backup offensive lineman played the bulk of the playoffs after one of the seniors tore his ACL against DSU and an underclassman started got a hip pointer on the first play from scrimmage against UNI (and then broke his ankle in the second series against Appy St in his first game back). It's not like we're replacing 3 OL starters with untried rookies. Like I said, 2 of these guys will be playoff-hardened replacements.

As for the running backs, we'll see about the fumbling. Butler's got quite the pedigree and would've split a lot of carries with Cuff this year - Cuff had the big year he had because Butler wasn't there to take 10 carries a game. Besides, it wasn't just Cuff - UD didn't have a single fumble all year from a receiver either. We won't turn into a turnover machine overnight.

The schedule's tough, but not impossible. Only the Maryland game is an automatic L. I'm not sold on Hofstra at all (they lose 8 seniors on defense and they lose Huggins), same with Furman (sorry OL FU) - Furman graduates Felton as well as their QB (team's second leading rusher) and their top receiver. UMass loses a lot as well - something like 7 offensive starters, including 3 OL, their top rusher, their top 4 receivers, plus they lose their top 3 tacklers on defense too. You have to keep in mind that other teams lose players too, and in a lot of these cases, they're losing more than UD.

As for the South, UD gets nova, W&M, and Towson all at home, and while at UR and at JMU are tough trips, neither game is impossible to win.

Throw in the fact that it's a 12 game schedule next year, UD could go 8-4 and still get in the playoffs. Assuming the loss to Maryland, they need to win 3 of the other 6 you have listed. Tough? Sure. Impossible? Not with everything UD has returning. If the next QB is decent, UD could be very good. Big if, but the past 3 QB's for UD have been more than good enough, and two of them NFL draftees. Until KC shows that he can't get a good QB I'm going to assume he can. xthumbsupx

OL FU
December 18th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Well, two backup offensive lineman played the bulk of the playoffs after one of the seniors tore his ACL against DSU and an underclassman started got a hip pointer on the first play from scrimmage against UNI (and then broke his ankle in the second series against Appy St in his first game back). It's not like we're replacing 3 OL starters with untried rookies. Like I said, 2 of these guys will be playoff-hardened replacements.

As for the running backs, we'll see about the fumbling. Butler's got quite the pedigree and would've split a lot of carries with Cuff this year - Cuff had the big year he had because Butler wasn't there to take 10 carries a game. Besides, it wasn't just Cuff - UD didn't have a single fumble all year from a receiver either. We won't turn into a turnover machine overnight.

The schedule's tough, but not impossible. Only the Maryland game is an automatic L. I'm not sold on Hofstra at all (they lose 8 seniors on defense and they lose Huggins), same with Furman (sorry OL FU) - Furman graduates Felton as well as their QB (team's second leading rusher) and their top receiver. UMass loses a lot as well - something like 7 offensive starters, including 3 OL, their top rusher, their top 4 receivers, plus they lose their top 3 tacklers on defense too. You have to keep in mind that other teams lose players too, and in a lot of these cases, they're losing more than UD.

As for the South, UD gets nova, W&M, and Towson all at home, and while at UR and at JMU are tough trips, neither game is impossible to win.

Throw in the fact that it's a 12 game schedule next year, UD could go 8-4 and still get in the playoffs. Assuming the loss to Maryland, they need to win 3 of the other 6 you have listed. Tough? Sure. Impossible? Not with everything UD has returning. If the next QB is decent, UD could be very good. Big if, but the past 3 QB's for UD have been more than good enough, and two of them NFL draftees. Until KC shows that he can't get a good QB I'm going to assume he can. xthumbsupx

IF we are up on you by 48 points at the end of the first half, we might have a chancexnodx :o

AAadict
December 18th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Scanlon has a very strong arm. Ability to run the offense is tbd. I have not heard any talk of Bostick but maybe my sources are holding out info. I have heard of interest in Penn State QB Pat Devlin. Downingtown boy who was also recruited by Miami in HS.

aust42
December 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Steffy is not a good QB. I watched a lot of MD games this year and he was not impressive at all. He won't even start next year for MD.

jonmac
December 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I think if Bostick wanted out he'd be out. Who did Wannstedt do it with Flacco? If so, he may have forseen his future QB woes. I think it is a negative recruiting PR move when a coach does that-especially when he brings 3 QBs in the next recruiting class. I believe the door is open for Bostick to leave.

Pitt could refuse to release him. Happened to us this year with Dlineman Quavian Lewis. Vanderbilt did not release him from scholarship and he attended ASU but could not play. I believe he also lost a year of eligibility. Not sure on that though.

WildCat In The Hat
December 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Scanlon has a very strong arm. Ability to run the offense is tbd. I have not heard any talk of Bostick but maybe my sources are holding out info. I have heard of interest in Penn State QB Pat Devlin. Downingtown boy who was also recruited by Miami in HS.

I wasn't saying Bostick was heading to UD-it was just food for thought. If Keeler reeled Devlin in-I'd have to say they'd be right back at the top of the CAA. AS a UNH fan, I'm hoping you don't get him-he's got a sick arm. I really think he's going to end up starting at Penn State sooner rather than later.

ERASU2113
December 18th, 2007, 08:45 PM
BTW, Flacco in person in street clothes really looks young... I'm talking like 17-18 young. xeyebrowx

Granted very tall for 17-18...xwhistlex

RadMann
December 18th, 2007, 08:46 PM
The answer to the question is, at least for 2008: They don't.

aust42
December 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
The schedule's tough, but not impossible. Only the Maryland game is an automatic L.

I may be a Bluehen homer but I don't consider this an automatic L. MD won't be much better than they were this year. I watch a lot of Terp games down here in MD, their no ACC powerhouse and can be beat although it would probably take some lucky breaks to beat them. I would have loved to have played them this year.

MR. CHICKEN
December 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
KEELER WILL GET ONE..HE'S UH HOT SHOT......WHO REALLY WAS CONSIDERED...BAH MICHIGAN......xnodx......AWK!

MERRY X-MAS

BDKJMU
December 18th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I may be a Bluehen homer but I don't consider this an automatic L. MD won't be much better than they were this year. I watch a lot of Terp games down here in MD, their no ACC powerhouse and can be beat although it would probably take some lucky breaks to beat them. I would have loved to have played them this year.

On the other hand there is only one game this an automatic W. Most games aren't automatic one way of the other. Unless UD reels in a marquee I-A Qb transfer, you have to figure PRESEASON @ Maryland, @ UMass (probably top 10), @ JMU (top 5-10), @ UR (top 5), and Nova (top 15?) UD won't be favored, and PRESEASON you have to look at @Hofstra and @FU as tossups. W&M will be much improved (at least 17 starters including Phillips back). UD would have to beat everyone they will definitely be favored to beat, PLUS FU and Hofstra on the road, AND pull an upset in one of those 1st 5 to go 8-4 & make playoffs. Drop one of the other 7, would have 2 pull upsets.

UD is unlucky 6 of their 7 toughest games are on the road (mediocre BCS and probably 6 top 25 pre season ranked opponents). Don't know if I've ever seen a schedule like that with all but one on the road. Brutal.

JMU on the other hand has 4 of their 7 toughest at home (UMass, ASU, Hofstra, UD), and has a much weaker BCS I-A (one of the worst BCS teams (of 65) there is in a game likely to be played in a 1/3rd empty stadium). @ UR (will be half JMU fans, kind of like when UD is @ Nova) and @ Nova (not exactly known for intimidating crowd).

UNI Pike
December 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the starting QB for ID in 2008 is ........Pat Bo stick from Pitt. Freshman forced into action this season, Bandstand wasn't thrilled with him, already has 3 new QB commits this year-one is a Junco transfer. Would be a Delaware steal, PA high school player of the year in 2006.

If the Blue Hens get another QB from Pitt, are they going to have to paste Wandstandt's picture onto the DE team photo in the media guide next year?

93henfan
December 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM
If the Blue Hens get another QB from Pitt, are they going to have to paste Wandstandt's picture onto the DE team photo in the media guide next year?

Yes, as a scout/benefactorxthumbsupx .

Tubby Raymond
December 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Let's not kid ourselves, the two offensive libneman who filled in were a liability through the playoffs. Having played in the playoffs will help them experientially but UHL's talent level is marginal

Rob Iola
December 20th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Let's not kid ourselves, the two offensive libneman who filled in were a liability through the playoffs. Having played in the playoffs will help them experientially but UHL's talent level is marginal

Um, no, his talent level is terrific. Uhll's problem is his weight/size...

UNI Pike
December 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Um, no, his talent level is terrific. Uhl's problem is his weight/size...

Uhl's footwork was horrible in the UNI game. However, was this the cause or the result of someone handling him - I can't say.

LacesOut
December 21st, 2007, 07:58 AM
Excellent question. They accounted for what, something like 50+ TD's this past season?? Two players accounting for that much offense and that needs to be replaced! Tough goings.

I don't know how in the world you get 30+ TD's from the RB's coming back or 20+ TD's from the QB.

Mountain Panther
December 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM

5. Send them back to Cedar Falls in the playoffs.

Added one for ya.

Blue Hen Nation
December 21st, 2007, 08:42 AM

Unfortunately, UMass has the leg up on us.