PDA

View Full Version : Walter Payton Award Results

Herdman
December 15th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Jayson Foster wins 2007 Walter Payton Award
Chattanooga, TN (Sports Network) - Georgia Southern quarterback Jayson Foster was named the 21st winner of the Walter Payton Award tonight at the Sports Network FCS Awards Dinner, held on the eve of the NCAA Division I Football Championship.

"I feel very honored, very privileged to win the Walter Payton Award," said Foster. "You cannot win an elite award like this without having talented teammates and a great coaching staff. The Payton Award is a very prestigious honor, there are many great names who have won this award. It is humbling to be mentioned with such great collegiate football players."

Foster rushed for an NCAA all-divisions quarterback record of 1,844 yards (7.1 yards per carry) with 24 touchdowns during the 2007 season. The senior also completed 109-of-170 passes for 1,203 yards and six touchdowns.

Foster opened the season in top form, running for 231 yards on just 11 carries and three touchdowns and adding 124 yards passing with another TD in a 45-21 victory over West Georgia.

He added 253 yards rushing and six touchdowns as the Eagles beat Coastal Carolina, 42-34, in the second week of the season, and piled up 210 yards on the ground and 340 yards of total offense in a 45-38 loss to Chattanooga.

Never previously recognized for his passing ability, Foster showed off his improving skills in that area on Oct. 6, when he hit on 23-of-31 passes for 225 yards and a touchdown in Georgia Southern's 41-38 victory over South Dakota State.

The elusive 5-9, 164-pound speedster from Canton, GA sparked Georgia Southern to a 38-35 victory over Appalachian State on Oct. 20 with 175 yards rushing and one touchdown. The win ended the Mountaineers' Division I-best 30-game home winning streak.

Foster saved his best game for Nov. 3 in a key Southern Conference contest against Wofford, breaking league records for rushing yards in one quarter and one half. He finished with 279 yards on the ground, three TDs and 336 yards of total offense as the Eagles beat the Terriers, 38-35.

With a playoff berth riding on a win in the final game against FBS Colorado State, Foster keyed a late comeback that fell just short, running for 195 yards and three TDs and finishing with 302 yards of total offense in a 42-34 loss.

Foster was the starting quarterback for the Eagles in 2005, guiding them to an 8-4 record and an FCS playoff berth. A new head coach moved Foster to wide receiver in 2006, and Georgia Southern's fortunes sunk during a 3-8 season, the worst in school history.

But first-year head coach Chris Hatcher moved Foster back to quarterback for 2007, and was rewarded as the quarterback led GSU to a 7-4 record. The Eagles came within two points of winning a share of the Southern Conference championship and an automatic bid in the FCS playoffs.

Foster is the second Georgia Southern player to win the Payton Award, joining 1999 honoree Adrian Peterson, and is the fourth Southern Conference player to be so honored, along with Peterson, 1992 winner Michael Payton of Marshall and 2000 recipient Louis Ivory of Furman.

Foster received 24 first-place votes and 224 points out of 100 ballots cast by a panel of sports information directors and selected media. He finished 40 points ahead of Northern Iowa quarterback Eric Sanders, and 58 points in front of San Diego quarterback Josh Johnson.

Delaware running back Omar Cuff was fourth with 154 points, and 2006 Payton Award winner and New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos was fifth with 151 points. Santos, the 2006 Payton honoree, was attempting to become the first two-time winner of the Award.

The Walter Payton Award, named for the legendary Jackson State and Chicago Bears running back and established in 1987 by The Sports Network, is presented annually to the top player in FCS.

Previous winners of the honor include current NFL players such as the Dallas Cowboys' Tony Romo (2002, Eastern Illinois), Philadelphia Eagles running back Brian Westbrook (2001, Villanova), and quarterback Steve McNair of the Baltimore Ravens (1994, Alcorn State).

2007 Walter Payton Award Voting

NAME (SCHOOL) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total

1. Jayson Foster, Georgia Southern 24 19 3 4 11 224

2. Eric Sanders, Northern Iowa 21 9 5 11 6 184

3. Josh Johnson, San Diego 10 14 11 10 7 166

4. Omar Cuff, Delaware 7 8 15 16 10 154

5. Ricky Santos, New Hampshire 9 10 10 11 14 151

6. Nick Hill, Southern Illinois 9 11 9 5 8 134

7. Tim Hightower, Richmond 6 5 7 6 8 97

8. Tyler Roehl, North Dakota State 2 6 8 7 1 73

9. Mike McLeod, Yale 2 4 7 3 3 56

10. Kevin Richardson, Appalachian State 3 3 6 3 3 54

11. Terrell Hudgins, Elon 0 3 5 9 8 53

12. Dominic Randolph, Holy Cross 2 1 5 3 10 45

13. Herb Donaldson, Western Illinois 4 1 2 5 1 41

14. Jordan Scott, Colgate 2 4 3 2 1 40

15. Ramses Barden, Cal Poly 1 1 3 4 4 30

16. Liam Coen, Massachusetts 0 0 3 2 2 15

17, *Matt Nicholls, Eastern Washington 0 1 0 2 2 10

18. *Joe Flacco, Delaware 0 2 0 0 0 8

19. *Kerry Brown, Appalachian State 0 0 1 1 1 6

20. *Scott Riddle, Elon 1 0 0 0 0 5

21. *Bryant Lee, Southern 0 1 0 0 0 4

22. *Chad Rinehart, Northern Iowa 0 0 0 0 1 1

* - Write-in Votes.

12/13 20:55:09 ET

Herdman
December 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Nothing personal against Jayson Foster, but Eric Sanders got jobbed. I guess the Walter Payton followed the Heisman and the Harlon Hill as giving the award to the popular vote and not the best player for the enite season. How does a non-play-off qualifier, non-conference champoinship team have a player who wins the WP?

How does Omar Cuff not get more support too?

AppIAA
December 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I agree with the Cuff thing, but Foster not getting it and you being mad?

Foster had one of the best seasons in FCS/-AA HISTORY. How can you not give it to me? As far as a non-playoff-qualifying team, im pretty sure they beat Appalachian state... have you heard of them before? I hear they're pretty good

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Yeah Sanders didn't get jobbed at all. A great player won the award and probably deserved it. If you are giving an award for best player you have to look at stats and not team record. I mean Tim Tebow should not have won the Heisman just look at the running back from UCF 2400+ yards. I don't care what teams you play that is impressive. Just like gaining 1800+ rushing and 1200+ passing yards is just unheard of.

Now I understand Sanders led our team to a great season and had a great career, but there is no doubt any of the three finalist were deserving to win the award and a great player won the award. Congrats to Foster!

blueballs
December 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Nothing personal against Jayson Foster, but Eric Sanders got jobbed. I guess the Walter Payton followed the Heisman and the Harlon Hill as giving the award to the popular vote and not the best player for the enite season. How does a non-play-off qualifier, non-conference champoinship team have a player who wins the WP?

If you think that's the case answer this question... what do you think the respective records would have been if you put Foster on UNI's team and Sanders on GSU's team this season?

GSU would win 3 games just like they did in '06 and UNI would have still been in the playoffs. THAT'S why Foster won the award.

Laserlips
December 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Herdman:

Don't guess you got to watch Jayson play much did you?xwhistlex

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

Fresno St. Alum
December 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Herdman is here from D-II. good to hear from you.

spelunker64
December 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Foster was the clear choice, congrats to Tyler Roehl for #8

BestOfBreed
December 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Foster was the clear choice and it wasn't even close.

Gil Dobie
December 15th, 2007, 03:08 PM
So who's the favorite for next year. xsmiley_wix

unicat87
December 15th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I too wish Sanders had won it, but I am biased. Congrats to Foster! And best wishes to Eric Sanders in the future and thanks for a fine 4 seasons here at UNI. :) -unicat87

Herdman
December 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I agree with the Cuff thing, but Foster not getting it and you being mad?

Foster had one of the best seasons in FCS/-AA HISTORY. How can you not give it to me? As far as a non-playoff-qualifying team, im pretty sure they beat Appalachian state... have you heard of them before? I hear they're pretty goodSo his team beating ASU won him the award? I wasn't mad before, but I'm really pissed off about that now.

Herdman
December 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Herdman:

Don't guess you got to watch Jayson play much did you?xwhistlex

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

I guess you didn't get to watch Eric Sanders much either.

Herdman
December 15th, 2007, 06:17 PM
If you think that's the case answer this question... what do you think the respective records would have been if you put Foster on UNI's team and Sanders on GSU's team this season?

GSU would win 3 games just like they did in '06 and UNI would have still been in the playoffs. THAT'S why Foster won the award.I can't help it that he plays on a bad team. Danny Woodhead helped make his team better, win conference championships, get into the play-offs and runs like a maniac. That's why he won the award in 2006. When he went down in '07 and missed 3 games that should have limited him from consideration, but he won it again for the second time. IMO, that wasn't right either.

Herdman
December 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Herdman is here from D-II. good to hear from you.Maybe you've never heard of Marshall University. ;) Good to see you and OB55 too.

eaglesrthe1
December 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I can't help it that he plays on a bad team. Danny Woodhead helped make his team better, win conference championships, get into the play-offs and runs like a maniac. That's why he won the award in 2006. When he went down in '07 and missed 3 games that should have limited him from consideration, but he won it again for the second time. IMO, that wasn't right either.

Just some salve for the wounds. The votes are due by the end of the regular season. It would take some time travel to account for the playoff stats. Foster was deserving, and it'll be ok. xbawlingx xcoolx

Bronco
December 15th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I didn't see any Georgia Southern games this year. I wish I had ...because to beat out the players I did see he must be great.
Any links to film?

bobbythekidd
December 15th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I didn't see any Georgia Southern games this year. I wish I had ...because to beat out the players I did see he must be great.
Any links to film?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR7gvbo9X-0&NR

Just a primer. More to come.

bobbythekidd
December 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR7gvbo9X-0&NR

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM
congrats to foster

what a stud and he definately deserved it... also good to see kerry brown getting a little write in love!

AppIAA
December 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
So his team beating ASU won him the award? I wasn't mad before, but I'm really pissed off about that now.

No, that is not what I was referring to. I was referring to he played and led a VERY good team hinting his team was playoff caliber.

Also, the Walter Payton award is not the MVP, it is the best offensive player in the country -- completely different

Bronco
December 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I watched the film clip...yep he's good.
congratulations

furpal87
December 15th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Surprised Edwards didn't get any write-in votes, if he had stayed healthy he might have walkked away with the award-he may do that next year.

Herdman
December 16th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Just some salve for the wounds. The votes are due by the end of the regular season. It would take some time travel to account for the playoff stats. Foster was deserving, and it'll be ok. xbawlingx xcoolx
Sorry, but I never considered Eric's play-off run in the equation or Woodheads for that matter. But both helped elevate their teams in making the play-offs. Liking I said in my opening comment, "Nothing against Jayson..."

Laserlips
December 16th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I guess you didn't get to watch Eric Sanders much either.

Herdman:

Nope, sorry to say I didn't.

I guess you and I will both have to defer to the folks who had to cast their individual votes on the matter.. I feel certain that THEY did indeed have the opportunity to see both Jayson Foster & Eric Sanders play.

Apparently a few more of the actual voters were of the opinion that Jayson deserved the award than Eric.

We all have our favorites... If Eric had won I'd be over here expressing my unhappiness that "my man" Jayson had been "hosed", so I certainly understand where you're coming from.

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

eaglewraith
December 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Wait...are you serious?

Grabholdofyosef
December 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Surprised Edwards didn't get any write-in votes, if he had stayed healthy he might have walkked away with the award-he may do that next year.
In 11 games, Armanti netted 1588 rushing with 21 tds and completed 66% of his passes for 1948 yards and 17 tds and 7 ints. He was just 52 yards away from being the only D-I player to get 2000-1000 twice.

It should be interesting next year.

But for this year, congrats to Jayson who had an incredibly year and seemed to reengerize the GSU program getting back to their old ways running that dang option that has killed ASU for years : (

ElonPride
December 16th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Wait...are you serious?

Yeah, his comment gave me a good laugh too.......

I seriously don't know how anyone can argue the outcome! Foster is beast and well deserving!xbowx