PDA

View Full Version : A nonbiased report (if there is one)

DuckDuckGriz
December 15th, 2007, 01:14 AM
First -
Congrats to App for title 3 and congrats to my man KROY BIERMANN for winning the Buck.

Now,
Becuase I was at my niece's Christmasty pageant and dinner I missed the game, I ony saw Apps first drive.

Can someone give me a calm and reasonable (preferably not an App or Delaware fan or the umassfan...) of what happened with the App fans tonight? Did they really act as ridiculous as many are saying they did?

unicat87
December 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM
They left the stands and crowded the edges of the field with a little over three minutes to play. Given that ASU was about to win their third consecutive national title, it wasn't terribly surprising. It is a situation they probably need to control better in the future for everyone's safety, however. -unicat87

Griz40
December 15th, 2007, 01:24 AM
DuckDuck....."What had happened was...."
LOL
Honestly what happened tonight with the fans is something that apparently happens at home games in Boone. The fans circled the field with 3:30 left in the game. The game was in hand for them. There were some fans that were on the field and tried to get back and they were honestly all up in the App bench. They were respectful and left the Delaware bench alone but it must have been real intimidating for the Delaware team. They were not disrespectful once there, but the fact that they were there (utter lack of security for crowd control) was a little bit more than anyone is used to seeing. It should not have happened, especially at an event such as this on a national level. I am sure you will see pictures of it floating around in the next couple of days. If I were an App alum/former player etc. I would probably find great pride in it but at the same time consider that this is not the safest thing for the other team. It was amazing, the fan support they had completely encircling the field. At the same time that is frightening if you are not used to that (anyone outside of Boone).

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2007, 01:34 AM
I hope that I can provide a no biased opinion. Honestly, this topic will cause so much tension, I almost decided not to post about it period. So hopefully I will not offend anyone.

It was a fun event...there were some drunks and some morons...every school has them.

I have no problem with fans on the field AFTER the game. The local sports committee has never tried to stop fans from celebrating after the win with their team on the field.

BUT, I'm sorry, pushing down onto the sidelines with almost 4 minutes in the game was not a good idea and I wish that fans could better discipline themselves to JUST WAIT a couple more minutes. There was plenty of time to have fun after the game was finished.

And I think the problem comes from the fact that the ASU admin in Boone have been relatively loose with celebrations at home and it has emboldened fans to keep "pushing the envelope" (it's what kids do).

True, there was no real harm...but this is an issue of common sense and restraint and the fans down on the field early showed none.

And here will be the problem. Because of this behavior, you know they NCAA will severely crack down on this. I would not be surprised if they will no longer sell any SRO seats on the grass banks (future fans will be punished because 1,200 less people will get to see the game)...and I wouldn't be surprised if they will be much tougher on policing postgame celebrations.

BTW...I know some have mentioned that "the team loves their fans celebrating with them"...which is true...but AFTER the game...not during it...while the coaching staff will be diplomatic in the press, off the record, they were not terribly happy with the students being right in with the players while the game was still in progress. They disrupted the game and I just thank God that one the plays didn't involve a player having to run out of bounds (a lot of people could have gotten hurt).

Look at it this way...you don't see fans jumping the wall at the beginning of the ninth inning of the world series and standing along the foul lines...

There is a line between spectators and participants (that being the stands and the field of play) and unfortunately, that line was crossed tonight.

I am not here to condemn...I realize it was main innocent overexuberance, but steps need to be taken to ensure it does to not happen again.

I met tons of wonderful fans from both sides...and I congratulate both teams. I have a ton of respect for Coaches Moore and Keeler (Keeler was disappointed not to be able to shake hands with Coach Moore after the game, so he went in to the ASU locker room to congratulate Moore and the team...very classy).

mistersykes
December 15th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Thanks for your unbiased input, chattanoogamocs. I agree with what you said. Although I root for App, I am not a ridiculous homer and I will criticize our team and praise other teams if deserved!

I think that some sort of message does need to be sent to the App fans especially (but all schools as well, as I feel that other schools' fans in our position would act in a similar way) that although it is fun to celebrate, it must be done in a classy manner that represents the school, conference, and FCS well. I feel like the excitement just got to people too much and many people did not have the self-control to stay in the stands. Others followed behind naturally. I also agree that we were lucky that nobody was injured in any way (that we know of). The issue needs to be addressed, definitely, but I don't think that criticism needs to be directed to App in particular (not saying that you were, mocs). I think that all of FCS can learn from this!

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I will also say, as unbiased as possible (though it should be mentioned that I used to work for the sports committee) that it was probably naive to think that just having a police presence on the field would be enough to stop all those kids from coming down early.

I used the world series analogy earlier...at the world series the security force is so large, they are literally able to link arms...maybe that is what is needed here.

Another solution as simple as justing holding a long rope (with a national guardsman each 10 feet) might be the answer. I think if you have a "show of force" up front, people won't test you...tonight I assume everyone just felt like "well, there is no way they can stop all of us".

I hate it too because I thought it was awesome seeing all those people in the grass. It really gave the stadium full and complete (horseshoe) feeling.

Early word from the higher ups at the NCAA...NOT HAPPY. (and the sports committee is probably working overtime on damage control because it is almost contract time).

Purple Knight
December 15th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I think you are right on point re: it is an adm problem a ASU. They seem to incourage this behavior at Boone regarding celebrating, goal post or whatever. They have a great team, program and fan base, but no restraint or respect for others. Their emotions, feelings and desires are the only thing that matters. Peacock loves to lead the parade.

UMass922
December 15th, 2007, 02:16 AM
DuckDuck....."What had happened was...."
LOL
Honestly what happened tonight with the fans is something that apparently happens at home games in Boone. The fans circled the field with 3:30 left in the game. The game was in hand for them. There were some fans that were on the field and tried to get back and they were honestly all up in the App bench. They were respectful and left the Delaware bench alone but it must have been real intimidating for the Delaware team. They were not disrespectful once there, but the fact that they were there (utter lack of security for crowd control) was a little bit more than anyone is used to seeing. It should not have happened, especially at an event such as this on a national level. I am sure you will see pictures of it floating around in the next couple of days. If I were an App alum/former player etc. I would probably find great pride in it but at the same time consider that this is not the safest thing for the other team. It was amazing, the fan support they had completely encircling the field. At the same time that is frightening if you are not used to that (anyone outside of Boone).

I guess my take is different in that I feel the very act of surrounding the field with that much time remaining was disrespectful in-and-of itself, even if the fans were relatively well-behaved while down there. I'm sure most of those fans weren't intending to be disrespectful, but nonetheless that's what it was, and unfortunately one Delaware player lost his cool over it. His behavior was completely unexcusable--but nonetheless completely explainable (in that there's no doubting what prompted it). I'm just grateful that nothing more came of it.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2007, 06:58 AM
KC didnt look excited about all those fans on the field, i think he was really concerned about an ugly altercation....he got his players off the field real quick to avoid any problems

OldRef
December 15th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I hope that I can provide a no biased opinion. Honestly, this topic will cause so much tension, I almost decided not to post about it period. So hopefully I will not offend anyone.

It was a fun event...there were some drunks and some morons...every school has them.

I have no problem with fans on the field AFTER the game. The local sports committee has never tried to stop fans from celebrating after the win with their team on the field.

BUT, I'm sorry, pushing down onto the sidelines with almost 4 minutes in the game was not a good idea and I wish that fans could better discipline themselves to JUST WAIT a couple more minutes. There was plenty of time to have fun after the game was finished.

And I think the problem comes from the fact that the ASU admin in Boone have been relatively loose with celebrations at home and it has emboldened fans to keep "pushing the envelope" (it's what kids do).

True, there was no real harm...but this is an issue of common sense and restraint and the fans down on the field early showed none.

And here will be the problem. Because of this behavior, you know they NCAA will severely crack down on this. I would not be surprised if they will no longer sell any SRO seats on the grass banks (future fans will be punished because 1,200 less people will get to see the game)...and I wouldn't be surprised if they will be much tougher on policing postgame celebrations.

BTW...I know some have mentioned that "the team loves their fans celebrating with them"...which is true...but AFTER the game...not during it...while the coaching staff will be diplomatic in the press, off the record, they were not terribly happy with the students being right in with the players while the game was still in progress. They disrupted the game and I just thank God that one the plays didn't involve a player having to run out of bounds (a lot of people could have gotten hurt).

Look at it this way...you don't see fans jumping the wall at the beginning of the ninth inning of the world series and standing along the foul lines...

There is a line between spectators and participants (that being the stands and the field of play) and unfortunately, that line was crossed tonight.

I am not here to condemn...I realize it was main innocent overexuberance, but steps need to be taken to ensure it does to not happen again.

I met tons of wonderful fans from both sides...and I congratulate both teams. I have a ton of respect for Coaches Moore and Keeler (Keeler was disappointed not to be able to shake hands with Coach Moore after the game, so he went in to the ASU locker room to congratulate Moore and the team...very classy).

Well said Chattanoogamocs. Thought you made an honest unbiased assesment. As an ASU Alum and kind of an old school football guy, we ASU fans could have used some restraint.

Coach Keeler should have been disappointed about not being able to congratulate Coach Moore, the post game handshake is a sportsmanship ritual that should not be interferred with.

I was crushed by Richardson's taunting... That put a bit of tarnish on the game for me.

Col Hogan
December 15th, 2007, 07:16 AM
First, CONGRATS to ASU...one hellva game...and to UD for never quiting...

Now, let me say I think from my POV (on TV) that what chattanoogamocs and Griz40 provided is a great summation of what happened. I also agree with my UMass brother that, while not intentional, what those fans did was disrespectful and potentially dangerous...

Speaking as a UMass fan, we've rushed the field after big games...key word here is AFTER...

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I think the announcers made a mistake in their comments about it being common in Boone. It did happen after the semis when they were there but it is not a common occurence, as far as coming out of the stands early. It has happened more over time and does need to be addressed. I do not at all want to offend any of my fellow App fans but any defense of what happened last night is just crazy. It truly was wrong, disrespectful and unnecessary. We all have to remember that most of those fans have probably never been on a sideline as an athlete and have no idea what kind of problems they were causing. Fans all over have come to believe that the game is played solely for them. It is not. Now, for those of you who think your fan base is immune to this should also understand that it is impossible to say how your fans would act in a similar circumstance. I hope all of you may some day get to experience our success. Only after we have made our likely move to FBS, for better or worse.xpeacex

AppMan
December 15th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Give me a break folks. These were students, their teamjust won a third straight national championshp. There were no altercations, no taunting, just a lot of celebrating. As a 25 year season ticket holder at ASU I can tell you nothing like this is promoted. This is just some kids having fun. Imtimidating to Delweare's team??? I'm sure all those heavily padded highly conditioned athletes were shaking in their shoes at the sight of all those 175 lb guys and 120 lb co-eds surrounding them. Come on guys, lighten up!

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Here's the problem with the late game atmosphere--one out of bounds play, one brush up between playersd interpreted the wrong way by a drunken fan and you could have had real trouble with large numbers of fans getting out on the field and/or getting hurt. ESPN even showed some shots early on with some fans on the field and some within the ASU bench area.

As for the post above noting no altercations or taunting, that's only because the Delaware receiver threw the ball after the TD at a public safety officer and not a drunken fan who might have ran after him, leading others to follow, and causing a real problem that local security was utterly unprepared for. This was a huge accident waiting to happen.

It looks bad for the subdivision. It looks bad that the announcers are chiding the fans for doing so. And it alternately raises the question what happens if and when this gets moved to another city.

soweagle
December 15th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Give me a break folks. These were students, their teamjust won a third straight national championshp. There were no altercations, no taunting, just a lot of celebrating. As a 25 year season ticket holder at ASU I can tell you nothing like this is promoted. This is just some kids having fun. Imtimidating to Delweare's team??? I'm sure all those heavily padded highly conditioned athletes were shaking in their shoes at the sight of all those 175 lb guys and 120 lb co-eds surrounding them. Come on guys, lighten up!

Homer needs a reality check.

Appstate03
December 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I agree that the students/fans should not have gotten on the field with 3+ mins left. However, we cannot completely blame them. I was at the game. When you have an open area on one side and no one saying don't come down, they will keep coming. After the first few fans jumped down, no one said to get back in the stands. The game should have stopped right away and waited for them to get off the field. Thats when the mob mentality kicked in and people said, if they can go down, so can I.
Also, the gates to enter the field from the stands were opened up. Most of the people on the field walked down instead of jumping over the wall. Why did security open these gates if they wanted to keep fans off the field? I do blame our students/fans, but I also blame the security at the stadium and the officials. They could have put an end to this before it became a problem.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Sorry AppMan, those kids could have waited 3:29 to have their fun. And despite no altercations or taunting, it was a dangerous situation. All I could think of was how ugly it would be if a play came to the sideline at full speed and took out some of those kids.

And on top of that, there is the whole mob mentality thing. Those athletes wouldn't be scared individually by the fans on the sidelines, but being outnumbered they might have been pushed into making bad decisions under duress. We saw an example of that when the Delaware player fired the ball into the crowd. It was just a dangerous situation that shouldn't have happened.

One thing that came to mind last night watching the game was how most professional championships games have evolved past the rushing the field or court. With a show of force, fans have been kept off the field. And you know what, the reward has been the players celebrating on the field or court rather than bolting for the clubhouse.

FCS Go!
December 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I think we are all lucky that no major incident occurred with all the fans around the field. I was convinced that some Delaware player was going to plow through the crowd and then all hell would break loose. It really looked like it was a lawsuit and mini-riot waiting to happen. The fans were well-behaved though and I did feel much safer in the stands- I was worried that my family was going to get stampeded at the end of the game.

Congrats to App St!

BlueHen86
December 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Terrible post. Students and fans don't belong on a field DURING a game. Period

Telling us to "lighten up" is a cop out. Did they affect the outcome of the game - no. Did they intimidate the UD players - probably not. Was it safe for them to be there - definitely not.

The fact that there was interaction between a UD player and a fan/student is proof that something was wrong.

It's not an ASU issue, it's a football issue, regardless of team or level.

BlueHen86
December 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Sorry AppMan, those kids could have waited 3:29 to have their fun. And despite no altercations or taunting, it was a dangerous situation. All I could think of was how ugly it would be if a play came to the sideline at full speed and took out some of those kids.

And on top of that, there is the whole mob mentality thing. Those athletes wouldn't be scared individually by the fans on the sidelines, but being outnumbered they might have been pushed into making bad decisions under duress. We saw an example of that when the Delaware player fired the ball into the crowd. It was just a dangerous situation that shouldn't have happened.

One thing that came to mind last night watching the game was how most professional championships games have evolved past the rushing the field or court. With a show of force, fans have been kept off the field. And you know what, the reward has been the players celebrating on the field or court rather than bolting for the clubhouse.
Good post.

Blue42
December 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM
The NCAA needs to have a meeting with the Chattanooga committee and tell them "Look, you do a great job hosting the game, but you need to have your security situation squared away or you're done."

The situation could have turned ugly very easily. It was on the brink. And that would have been a huge embarrassment for FCS.

And if you know Appie State fans are coming to town, there's no excuse for not being ready for them. And everyone here knows what I'm talking about.

CamelCityAppFan
December 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I was there, was on the field after the game, witnessed the whole thing.

I think the problem is that there was no barrier or fence at the back grassy hill to seperate the those fans from the field. I would not be surprised to see a fence there next year.

From what I could see, the students in the stands were starting to get near the sideline wall, waiting to jump over and rush the field. But then the students on the bank ran out to the end zone too early. When the students in the stands saw this, they started jumping the wall as well.

I think if there had been a better barrier at the end zone hill, the students would have rushed the field at a more appropriate time.

BTW, rushing the field is not a "common" occurrance at App home games. It happens at semi-final playoff games, and it happened at the JMU game after a particularly emotional win.

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I was on the 30 yard line row 4 near the band in the tickets I won from Tod! Thanks!... I had squeezed my way down to row 2 to get ready to jump when all of the sudden everyone started on the field and yes I believe it started in the end zone where there should have been a fence or more national guard or something but I just remember thinking that this is so wrong but at the same time I dont want to be the last one up here in the stands so I will jump to... I think that is the feeling that a lot of us students had... once we saw that everyone else was going on the field then we didnt want to be left out... I knew it was wrong but the mob mentality won over me...

Purple Knight
December 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I was there, was on the field after the game, witnessed the whole thing.

I think the problem is that there was no barrier or fence at the back grassy hill to seperate the those fans from the field. I would not be surprised to see a fence there next year.

From what I could see, the students in the stands were starting to get near the sideline wall, waiting to jump over and rush the field. But then the students on the bank ran out to the end zone too early. When the students in the stands saw this, they started jumping the wall as well.

I think if there had been a better barrier at the end zone hill, the students would have rushed the field at a more appropriate time.

BTW, rushing the field is not a "common" occurrance at App home games. It happens at semi-final playoff games, and it happened at the JMU game after a particularly emotional win.

My gosh! Do you have to have physical barriers? What about some mental barriers such as self restraint? At ASU, the crowd is always in control. What they decide to do is up to them without any interference from local authorities. Thank goodness, they didn't take it a step futher. But if a few of them had, the rest of the crowd would probably have followed and the crowd would have become a mob.

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM
The NCAA needs to have a meeting with the Chattanooga committee and tell them "Look, you do a great job hosting the game, but you need to have your security situation squared away or you're done."

The situation could have turned ugly very easily. It was on the brink. And that would have been a huge embarrassment for FCS.

And if you know Appie State fans are coming to town, there's no excuse for not being ready for them. And everyone here knows what I'm talking about.

Just wanted to point out a couple of things...

1) the NCAA knew the set up and approved it...matter of fact, the comment was made that by NCAA officials that having the fans on the grass would give it the same feel as the college world series (where fans do the same).

2) the steps down to the field from the stands were not blocked off on purpose. As I stated before, the organizers and the NCAA have (previously) not had a problem with fans coming down AFTER the game. If you block those stairs it is just going to cause someone to get injured trying to climb over. Again, I guess it was a naive assumption to think that fans would wait until the game was over to come onto the field.

Trust me, not only is the siuation being addressed, but it was being addressed at about 12:05 last night.

There are simply two things that need to happen:

...the fans need to exercise personal restraint

...and the organizing committee needs to always assume the fans won't exercise any personal restraint. :)

TheCatamount
December 15th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I might have a different perspective here because I was on the hill with the students that rushed the field (in the first row might I add). People started lining up behind my friends and I with about 9 minutes to go and at about the 7 minute mark it was 10-12 rows deep with a crowd of people. The security guards and marines told us they had no problem at all with us rushing the field - they just did not want us to touch the goal post.

At about the 3 minute mark a bunch of people on the right hand side of the endzone rushed down and nobody stopped them. I could feel the tension behind me and I was going to get trampled if I did not storm the field as well. I ran as fast as I could and maintaned my spot in the front, I was standing an inch from the endzone line and everyone was going crazy. When the KO return TD happened everyone was pissed off because it looked like he threw it at a group of students pretty hard (and a bunch of people also said that the UD player screamed "****** App").

After people start running behind you it's all about survival and not getting run over. I can't even imagine how to describe the rushing of the field unless you have done it before. People were falling down right in front of me constantly and large groups of people were knocked down. A bunch of other students and I helped most people up and asked if they were doing okay, but I'm sure some major injuries were had.

*I will always be a Catamount and love Western Carolina University, but I really enjoyed my night as a Mountaineer - rushing that field was something I will never forget

89Hen
December 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I haven't read any of the negative commments, but FWIW, I had no problem with the App fans taking the sidelines with 3 minutes to go. They were not encroaching in the UD player area, and they amazingly stayed off the field. Let them celebrate, they deserved it. xpeacex

ur2k
December 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM
it's the same thing they did last week in our game against them - fans were on the sideline at about the 3 minute mark. It doesn't really seem to be frowned upon by App State - but they also have their chancellor parade around the sidelines on a piece of plywood with their trophies.

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I haven't read any of the negative commments, but FWIW, I had no problem with the App fans taking the sidelines with 3 minutes to go. They were not encroaching in the UD player area, and they amazingly stayed off the field. Let them celebrate, they deserved it. xpeacex

Thats because the UD bench was finally surrounded by a legion of state troopers and NOT because of restraint by the fans.

B&G
December 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM
It was an amazing spectacle to see so many fans encompass the field like locusts. I was proud, embarrassed and worried all at the same time. I think pointing the finger at the ASU fans is wrong. Kids are kids and fans are fans. I expected for them to show little restraint. The problem was with the venue and security where the blame falls directly on the people who organized the event. They probably never figured this would happen. I would be willing to bet they don't allow it to happen again next season.

thmst30
December 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
OK, it was stupid to go down there, but why are people insisting that it was on the verge of getting ugly. It was NEVER out of hand down there, we respected Delaware and stayed away from them. The ONLY thing that happened was the UD player threw the ball at the fans/officer, and even then NONE of our fans went on the field or did a damn thing. I'm not at all condoning going down early, but it was far from ugly. They weren't down there with intent to hurt or abuse UD, they were there to start celebrating with APP. Again was NEVER EVEN CLOSE to getting ugly. Stop posting that ****.

thmst30
December 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Thats because the UD bench was finally surrounded by a legion of state troopers and NOT because of restraint by the fans.
Bull****, our fans had no intention of getting into it with their players. If you weren't there you have no idea what the atmosphere was like and no idea what was going on. It wasn't hostile in the LEAST. DUMB yes, hostile no.

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
The fans were not going into the UD area not because of troopers or whatever but bc we didnt care to mess with them... We were all about celebrating... all my thoughts were on how awesome this is for asu... not how i dont like ud or something like that

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Bull****, our fans had no intention of getting into it with their players. If you weren't there you have no idea what the atmosphere was like and no idea what was going on. It wasn't hostile in the LEAST. DUMB yes, hostile no.

Really? Wait...did you poll all the fans?

In any event, that wasnt what I said (that the fans intended to hurt the players), however the FACT THE BENCH WAS SURROUND BY POLICE PROBABLY HAD AN EFFECT ON WHY THAT AREA WAS NOT CONSUMED MUCH LIKE THE APP BENCH AREA WAS.

GROW UP!

ShgooseAPP
December 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I down on the side of UD's bench and no one was going to mess with them. Many people myself included told them that they had a great season and wished them luck next year and it was sincere. So stop posting that crap if you were not even at the game.

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM
And for the record....5000 Dane fans stormed the court after our first NCAA appearance 2 years ago.....

....we waited until the game ended.

THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE Y'all are missing.

Seats are for fans! Fields, during the game, are for players.

The sidelines=field.

3:40 left=game still played.

It is pretty ****ing simple.

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I down on the side of UD's bench and no one was going to mess with them. Many people myself included told them that they had a great season and wished them luck next year and it was sincere. So stop posting that crap if you were not even at the game.

Again, not what I said. I said the bench was not consumed because of the troopers.

Where did y'all get the impression that I said the players didnt get ****ed with because of the troopers. STOP PUTTING WORDS IN OTHERS MOUTHS!

My cousin was THERE about 2 rows up from the bench...owns a pizza place in Appy, is a former graduate of Appy...loves Appy...and was disgusted.

thmst30
December 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
And for the record....5000 Dane fans stormed the court after our first NCAA appearance 2 years ago.....

The sidelines=field.

No man we GET that they should have waited we GET it was stupid, but you don't understand we weren't interested in doing anything to US, just celebrate. Pretty ****ing stupid, but pretty ****ing simple as well.

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:32 PM

For the impaired-- What I originally wrote, answering 89Hen on why the players area was NOT ENCROACHED.

There was ZERO discussion of your fans creating violence to UD players.

YOUR APOLOGY IS ACCEPTED!

thmst30
December 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
OK, were finally clear here. You said the only reason we didn't invade their sideline is because of the troopers, but it seemed like you were saying its the only reason we didn't start a fight. I understand what your saying now. Still though, I'm saying we we're never going to even go near them anyway. Sure the Troopers made sure it didn't happen, but it was never an intention of the fans at all.

ShgooseAPP
December 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Appy what's that? Never heard of it. Now App State, App, ASU. I've heard of that. Also really i'm still trying to get this surrounded by state troopers? I myself saw 3 near the UD bench the entire night.

Purple Knight
December 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM
When fans believe that anything they do before, during and after a football game is ok and excusable, then they are ugly fans, period... IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME.

Mountaineer
December 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM
STOP PUTTING WORDS IN OTHERS MOUTHS!

Are you really this distraught over the situation of fans hitting the field early? xchinscratchx xscanx

Take a deep breath, close the browser if you need to, relaaaax.

Don't want to hear about any heart attacks and strokes over a football game. ;)

BlueHen86
December 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM
No man we GET that they should have waited we GET it was stupid, but you don't understand we weren't interested in doing anything to US, just celebrate. Pretty ****ing stupid, but pretty ****ing simple as well.
You have several months to celebrate. You could have waited a few more minutes. Stop making excuses.

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
OK, were finally clear here. You said the only reason we didn't invade their sideline is because of the troopers, but it seemed like you were saying its the only reason we didn't start a fight. I understand what your saying now. Still though, I'm saying we we're never going to even go near them anyway. Sure the Troopers made sure it didn't happen, but it was never an intention of the fans at all.

I am sure you are a sane person who would do no such thing (seriously) but can you honestly say that all of the fans, especially a drunk ass 18 year old, would have acted the same way as you-- with restraint?!

You cant guarantee that.

Doesnt matter....ASU had a great season...great win...and changes will be on the way for future playoff games.

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Appy what's that? Never heard of it. Now App State, App, ASU. I've heard of that. Also really i'm still trying to get this surrounded by state troopers? I myself saw 3 near the UD bench the entire night.

Use your eyes...look at the picture. Those are Staties'!

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Are you really this distraught over the situation of fans hitting the field early? xchinscratchx xscanx

Take a deep breath, close the browser if you need to, relaaaax.

Don't want to hear about any heart attacks and strokes over a football game. ;)

Yeah I am. Personal reasons.

thmst30
December 15th, 2007, 04:41 PM
OK, everyone stop bashing Dane. Hes trying to keep his cool even though practically all of us misunderstood his post. Plus for the fans defending going on the field THREE MINUTES EARLY, STOP. That was dumb and should have waited. People deserve to be upset about that.

Mountaineer
December 15th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah I am. My roommate in college, a great kid, nearly lost his sister in the Camp Randall incident.

It is really easy for someone to get trampled at a game. Shall I pull up all the reports of deaths, paralysis, and injuries from storming courts and fields throughout the world?

If you're that concerned about it - maybe try contacting your congressman or senator? How about getting some legislation passed? Petitions? Ballot measures?

Instead, you're here nearly having an aneurysm on a message board.

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:43 PM
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE7D81639F930A35752C1A9659582 60

ENOUGH SAID!

You people are a disgrace that you cant see the DANGERS associated with what your fans did.

IT HAS HAPPENED.

thmst30
December 15th, 2007, 04:46 PM
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE7D81639F930A35752C1A9659582 60

ENOUGH SAID!

You people are a disgrace that you cant see the DANGERS associated with what your fans did.

IT HAS HAPPENED.

Some of us see the dangers. For the ones who don't, I understand both sides arguments now, but in the end it never should have happened with the game still in progress.

BlueHen86
December 15th, 2007, 04:46 PM
If you're that concerned about it - maybe try contacting your congressman or senator? How about getting some legislation passed? Petitions? Ballot measures?

Instead, you're here nearly having an aneurysm on a message board.
Why don't you back off. Dane happens to be right. Nobody is bashing ASU. I probably would have done the same thing as the ASU students if I was in their shoes, but it doesn't make it right.

Mountaineer
December 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Why don't you back off. Dane happens to be right. Nobody is bashing ASU. I probably would have done the same thing as the ASU students if I was in there shoes, but it doesn't make it right.

Never said he was wrong. xreadx

There are more appropriate forums to make your voice heard if you (a general you) feel that passionately about a subject. xrulesx

thmst30
December 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Why don't you back off. Dane happens to be right. Nobody is bashing ASU. I probably would have done the same thing as the ASU students if I was in their shoes, but it doesn't make it right.

Exactly, thats why some App fans are pissed. People are only mad about what they did and understandably. They aren't flat out bashing the University as a whole. Some will, but most of you aren't. So on behalf of the confused App fans I apologize for the idiotic misunderstanding of what you guys are posting about.

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:51 PM

There are more appropriate forums to make your voice heard if you (a general you) feel that passionately about a subject. xrulesx

I'll remember to call you each time I want to post on a topic.

BlueHen86
December 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Agreed. But we are discussing it here, now.
For the record, I have no problem with your fans, like I said I probably would have done the same thing.
But they were wrong, and nobody should be making excuses for them.

DSUrocks07

xthumbsupx

We're not taking away from ASU, or their accomplishments. The fact is that it doesn't matter what your intentions were...there's a REASON why fans are not allowed on the field in the first place. Just because there wasn't a serious altercation does not mean that it was ok to be there. It was a dangerous situation that could of been a lot worse...

BTW for those who are ripping on Duncan throwing the ball in the stands...if there weren't people on the sidelines then there wouldn't be anyone there for him to throw it at...just my .02

Mountaineer
I'll remember to call you each time I want to post on a topic.

I appreciate it. xcoolx

I'll page you my number. :D

BlueHen86
December 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Exactly, thats why some App fans are pissed. People are only mad about what they did and understandably. They aren't flat out bashing the University as a whole. Some will, but most of you aren't. So on behalf of the confused App fans I apologize for the idiotic misunderstanding of what you guys are posting about.
Fair enough.

Great season for you guys.xthumbsupx

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I appreciate it. xcoolx

I'll page you my number. :D

Better yet, you can look me up-- I am listed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Executive Leadership rolls for another 16 days. Oh the irony to your post.

Pretty easy to find me-- Probably the only one listed who graduated Albany.

:)

Mountaineer
December 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Agreed. But we are discussing it here, now.
For the record, I have no problem with your fans, like I said I probably would have done the same thing.
But they were wrong, and nobody should be making excuses for them.

Oh, I agree. The fans shouldn't have been on the field prior to the game ending. I think the past few semifinal games here in Boone where students are free to do what they want is a contributing factor. I imagine there will be some policy changes in effect next year at KBS.

However, to read it repeatedly here, ad naseum, by a few extremely vocal people is nothing more than antagonization.

People have said their piece and we should leave it at that. The Hens and Apps deserve better.

Dane96
December 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Agreed.

Mountaineer
December 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Better yet, you can look me up-- I am listed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Executive Leadership rolls for another 16 days. Oh the irony to your post.

Pretty easy to find me-- Probably the only one listed who graduated Albany.

:)

I'll get right on it, Mr. Fancy Pants. ;) xlolx

rfeng
December 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Don't visit every day and prefer to read what most of you have to say.

There is NO excuse that can be made for the lack of crowd control so there really is no point in really trying. The host committee really has responsibility to ensure crowd control regardless of fan behavior.

Another point, having nothing to do with this embarrassment, is (1) to move the game to a different larger stadium(s) yearly or every few years, and (2) to schedule the championship a minimum of 3 weeks after the semi-finals. Having the championship game in a resort area, something like Disney World, New Orleans, etc., where people could vacation for a few days and have other vacationers attend makes a lot more sense than going to a city where there isn’t much to do.

One of the advantages of the bowl setup (scheduling the game 3-4 weeks after the end of the season) is that it gives students and fans time to arrange flights and hotel reservations at a reasonable cost. I am sure the Delaware fans were in the minority and really doubt last year many UMass fans or students paid over $1000 for airfare plus hotel costs.

The marketing of this game doesn’t exist, either by the local committee or the NCAA. The TV announcers were 3’rd rate. For the National Championship we should expect one of the best broadcasting crews from the network.

ASUG8
December 15th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I think you are right on point re: it is an adm problem a ASU. They seem to incourage this behavior at Boone regarding celebrating, goal post or whatever. They have a great team, program and fan base, but no restraint or respect for others. Their emotions, feelings and desires are the only thing that matters. Peacock loves to lead the parade.

Yep, it's in the student handbook to behave like this. We want to belittle and intimidate every team with any means possible, just as we cheat and buy championships.

I hope you aren't serious in this post.

When you take the roller coaster of a season that we've had with extreme highs, lows, and luck (JMU) all combined with an impending historical "three-peat" I can understand why people would begin storming the field. Does that mean that I condone it? No, but I understand it. If the first 5 guys going over the wall were stopped, the herd mentality that eventually led to the encircling of the field would never have happened.

By the way, the word is "ENcourage". Win three in a row and let me know how your fans behave.

BlueHen86
December 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Oh, I agree. The fans shouldn't have been on the field prior to the game ending. I think the past few semifinal games here in Boone where students are free to do what they want is a contributing factor. I imagine there will be some policy changes in effect next year at KBS.

However, to read it repeatedly here, ad naseum, by a few extremely vocal people is nothing more than antagonization.

People have said there piece and we should leave it at that. The Hens and Apps deserve better.

xthumbsupx

ASUG8
December 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM
it's the same thing they did last week in our game against them - fans were on the sideline at about the 3 minute mark. It doesn't really seem to be frowned upon by App State - but they also have their chancellor parade around the sidelines on a piece of plywood with their trophies.

Did we attend the same game? I was on the front row of the visitor's side and was looking the security guy dead in the eye - from my seat - for the whole game.

DSUrocks07
December 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Don't visit every day and prefer to read what most of you have to say.

There is NO excuse that can be made for the lack of crowd control so there really is no point in really trying. The host committee really has responsibility to ensure crowd control regardless of fan behavior.

Another point, having nothing to do with this embarrassment, is (1) to move the game to a different larger stadium(s) yearly or every few years, and (2) to schedule the championship a minimum of 3 weeks after the semi-finals. Having the championship game in a resort area, something like Disney World, New Orleans, etc., where people could vacation for a few days and have other vacationers attend makes a lot more sense than going to a city where there isn’t much to do.

One of the advantages of the bowl setup (scheduling the game 3-4 weeks after the end of the season) is that it gives students and fans time to arrange flights and hotel reservations at a reasonable cost. I am sure the Delaware fans were in the minority and really doubt last year many UMass fans or students paid over $1000 for airfare plus hotel costs.

The marketing of this game doesn’t exist, either by the local committee or the NCAA. The TV announcers were 3’rd rate. For the National Championship we should expect one of the best broadcasting crews from the network.

There's your answer right there:

1) Three week break between the semifinal and the final (just like the NFL)

2) Since ESPN carries this game, why not have it at their "Wide World of Sports" complex in Orlando. An actual neutral field.

Easier to make travel plans, things to do in Orlando, not really an advantage to either team, great weather, media exposure, and a way to step up to the "big time". xthumbsupx

But this would probably be better discussed in its own thread...

feb18blacksunday
December 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM
My opinion on this situation is the Powers that handle this game will do more to discourage storming the field. Put up a fence in the endzone but still allow seating on the hill, its part of the aesthetics of college football. Have Administrators inform the student that this behavior will not be tolerated. Hire a few more LEOs to patrol the sideline area. Apps usual announcement is to stay off the field until the players have gone to their lockers.
I was at the game and wished the fans had waited till the game was over to celcbrate. No problems the last two years prior...just not enough patience.

proasu89
December 15th, 2007, 06:00 PM

The sidelines=field.

Thanks for posting that Dane, I couldn't agree more. Just got home and haven't read through all of the posts so I could be repeating what others have said. These young men on the field have given their all for 60 mins in the most important game of the season or their career and they shouldn't have to put up with the other teams fan's crowding their sidelines. Coach Moore and his players and Coach Keeler and his players should have the opportunity to meet and shake each others hands. We should be able to understand boundries without having the National Guard there to inforce. Maybe I'm old, maybe I'm tired, but I've said my peace on this.

Well maybe I haven't...xlolx To be clear, I have no problem with celebrating with our players, after the game and when the other team has left the field. I do feel positive that our administration will take steps to reign in the overzealous. Once the example is set at KBS, then maybe it will be more understood when and if we get to Chattanooga in the future.

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 06:44 PM
They left the stands and crowded the edges of the field with a little over three minutes to play. Given that ASU was about to win their third consecutive national title, it wasn't terribly surprising. It is a situation they probably need to control better in the future for everyone's safety, however. -unicat87

It wasn't the students fault for crowding the field IMO. The enforcement around Finely was HORRIBLE. I stepped away from the field and was just amazed by the lack of holding people back by the security officers there.

appsfan
December 15th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I didn't see a real problem with the fans when they first started crowding the end zone. However, I thought it was crazy that they wrapped around the field like they did. It poses a safety risk and there is the chance that someone (player or fan) would lose their cool. Since you can't count on any fanbase to stay off the field, in future years, there needs to be restraint (fencing, security, education of fans of expectations, etc.) to prevent this from happening again. In football, there has been a history of this happening (not to condone), the most famous being Stanford-Cal.

ur2k
December 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Did we attend the same game? I was on the front row of the visitor's side and was looking the security guy dead in the eye - from my seat - for the whole game.

Pretty sure it was the same game - last Friday in Boone, right? From the visitors side you had a good view of folks climbing over the wall to the sidelines while the game was still going on. We did.

The one thing alot of us commented on afterwards that it was too bad that we couldn't give our team one last standing ovation for a amazing season b/c the field was rushed with about 13 seconds still left on the clock and our players were to concerned about getting off the field.

KiddBrewer
December 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM
i was there, i just watched the tape of the game. the worst part of this is that it has taken the attention away from the game. im a little disappointed to tell you the truth, and i wish it everybody would have stayed in the stands and it wouldnt have happened. the only way its not going to happen is by putting in a ton more security. i go to school with a lot of idiots, mix them with being done with finals, a 3peat, and alcohol, you might get something you dont want. i was on the field but after the game.

GannonFan
December 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
My take on it having been there:

Sad that it happened - I watched it again on TiVo and it's a shame when the announcers should be focusing on the tremendous achievement of winning 3 in a row that they had to spend the bulk of the end of the telecast on the lack of control at the stadium.

With that said, there's a lot of fault to spread around. First of all, they never should have people on that hill - there's just no way to control that many people when there is no physical barrier to speak of. And the level of security over there was just minimal at best. Second, they should never try to cram that many people into the stadium - I know they wanted to get as many people in as possible, but it was clear that they had crossed the limit.

My third point is also my most significant - keep in mind that I've been to Wing Bowl in Philly and seen drinking excess the likes of which very few have seen - but the amount of drinking, by both Appy St and UD folk alike, was just way, way overboard. It's a problem we may always face as Chatty will be a destination location and you'll have people there for 12+ hours just drinking the whole time. Hey, it's tailgating and it's football, but there's no reason to let stumbling drunks into the game and there's no reason why security can't be better able to search people - the amount of beer cans and empty liquor bottles left strewn among the stadium and you'd get the idea that they were selling liquor inside the stadium. Chatty has to understand that people are going to be drinking all day, and when you know you're going to have a crowd like this, they have to be better prepared to keep drunks out of the stadium and to keep alcohol out of the stadium.

Like I said, it's a shame though that one of the most talked about things coming out of that game last night is the situation at the end of the game, rather than the successes of those in the game.

Blue42
December 15th, 2007, 09:22 PM
*I will always be a Catamount and love Western Carolina University, but I really enjoyed my night as a Mountaineer - rushing that field was something I will never forget

Are you kidding? You'll never forget rushing the field with the fans of another team to celebrate their NC? How about the first time you made 20 bucks for going around the world? xoopsx

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Are you kidding? You'll never forget rushing the field with the fans of another team to celebrate their NC? How about the first time you made 20 bucks for going around the world? xoopsx

His school's rival won the NC and he celebrated with them.
I think a Catamount is a Mountaineer at heart :D xthumbsupx

GoBlackAndGold
December 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I rushed the field...and was there on the side lines. It was alot of fun but I was uncomfortable down there. I was telling people to stay back, which only happened a couple of times. I was willing to stay in the stands but got in the isle when people started for the bottom before the rush on the field. Then the rush occured had no choice but to go. It was not chaos, and was fun. There was a police officer at the bottom of the steps and he ended up moving out of the way.
All in all it was fun to be there. The crowd was good and I enjoyed talking to all the Hen fans I did.

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I rushed the field...and was there on the side lines. It was alot of fun but I was uncomfortable down there. I was telling people to stay back, which only happened a couple of times. I was willing to stay in the stands but got in the isle when people started for the bottom before the rush on the field. Then the rush occured had no choice but to go. It was not chaos, and was fun. There was a police officer at the bottom of the steps and he ended up moving out of the way.
All in all it was fun to be there. The crowd was good and I enjoyed talking to all the Hen fans I did.

ditto for me...

as i posted early i didnt feel right going on the field early but at the same time it is my senior year and its a 3 peat... i did not want to miss out on what all the other students were doing

appfan2008
December 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM
His school's rival won the NC and he celebrated with them.
I think a Catamount is a Mountaineer at heart :D xthumbsupx

I certainly would have a lot of trouble running on the field if wcu ever won a NC (long long long way off) i would root for them (assuming not against app) but i wouldnt be that happy!

APP91
December 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Couple of points here, I was one of the many standing in the endzone for the last 3+ minutes. The nat'l guard was directing fans on the field around the sidelines, to stay behind the dotted line that surrounds the field. Police were having a good time except when I guy tried to have a photo opportunity about 3 steps on the field. He was "subdued".

The issue here is one had to have a SRO ticket to get on the bank. a gate was set up and manned to check these tix of those coming and going. Those security people left that position about 1/2 way thru the 4th qtr and we could all go out on the bank.
I do think a fence there would be a good thing because it is a pretty good point to watch a game.

The atmosphere where I was, only festive, no taunting. Cannot comment closer to the bench areas.

At that time, security ringed the field. Any more, it would have been like a police state. Definately too early to take the field, but it was pretty obvious at that point, we were just marking time.

IMO, complaining is just sour grapes, to the winner goes the spoilsxhurrayx

Dixiedawg80
December 15th, 2007, 10:19 PM
My take on it having been there:

Sad that it happened - I watched it again on TiVo and it's a shame when the announcers should be focusing on the tremendous achievement of winning 3 in a row that they had to spend the bulk of the end of the telecast on the lack of control at the stadium.

With that said, there's a lot of fault to spread around. First of all, they never should have people on that hill - there's just no way to control that many people when there is no physical barrier to speak of. And the level of security over there was just minimal at best. Second, they should never try to cram that many people into the stadium - I know they wanted to get as many people in as possible, but it was clear that they had crossed the limit.

My third point is also my most significant - keep in mind that I've been to Wing Bowl in Philly and seen drinking excess the likes of which very few have seen - but the amount of drinking, by both Appy St and UD folk alike, was just way, way overboard. It's a problem we may always face as Chatty will be a destination location and you'll have people there for 12+ hours just drinking the whole time. Hey, it's tailgating and it's football, but there's no reason to let stumbling drunks into the game and there's no reason why security can't be better able to search people - the amount of beer cans and empty liquor bottles left strewn among the stadium and you'd get the idea that they were selling liquor inside the stadium. Chatty has to understand that people are going to be drinking all day, and when you know you're going to have a crowd like this, they have to be better prepared to keep drunks out of the stadium and to keep alcohol out of the stadium.

Like I said, it's a shame though that one of the most talked about things coming out of that game last night is the situation at the end of the game, rather than the successes of those in the game.

VERY well put... thanks
DD

bench
December 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I certainly would have a lot of trouble running on the field if wcu ever won a NC (long long long way off) i would root for them (assuming not against app) but i wouldnt be that happy!
Considering a Western title would be the harbinger of the Apocalypse, I don't know how happy any of us would be

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I agree that the students/fans should not have gotten on the field with 3+ mins left. However, we cannot completely blame them. I was at the game. When you have an open area on one side and no one saying don't come down, they will keep coming. After the first few fans jumped down, no one said to get back in the stands. The game should have stopped right away and waited for them to get off the field. Thats when the mob mentality kicked in and people said, if they can go down, so can I.
Also, the gates to enter the field from the stands were opened up. Most of the people on the field walked down instead of jumping over the wall. Why did security open these gates if they wanted to keep fans off the field? I do blame our students/fans, but I also blame the security at the stadium and the officials. They could have put an end to this before it became a problem.

Ditto. As people have said, its fine to rush the field AFTER the final whistle. In 04' I climbed the wall and walked out on the field along with a few thousand other JMU fans AFTER the final whistle. These several thousand ASU (mostly students and some young alums I bet) acted like they'd never been there before. I could see if it was their 1st NC. Thats what it looked like- fans from a team about to win their 1st NC, not from a team about to win their 3rd.

Bottom line as has been said before, having that many fans (many but not all of them drunken idiots) down there for the last 3.5 minutes of the game/10 minutes toeing the out bounds line or end zone line for 2/3 of the field is an accident waiting to happen. As has been already stated, you have 150-300 lb athletes with the potential to be coming full tilt to the sidelines full of drunken teenage-20 somethings with a mob mentality. Watching this on TV it looked like a situation totally out of control that the stadium people were completely unprepared for. This was about all the announcers talked about for the last 3 1/2 minutes (10 minutes time) of the game. The players and coaches deserve better than that. When a coach can't even get to another coach to shake his hand something is seriously wrong. This should NEVER be allowed to happen again. Its obvious they need to double or triple the security for the game. Keep the gates to the steps closed until the final whistle. Have fences erected in the endzone. Hundreds of cops/security guards/national guard or whatever is deemed necessary to keep people off the field till the final whistle. Heck, even if it took a thousand of them. Then once the final whistle sounded let them come on, open gates to keep people from getting crushed. Probably had few thousand (of the 7-8 thousand JMU fans there) come on the field after the JMU win in 04', but it was AFTER the final whistle, and it was more gradual as people spilled over the wall. I lay the blame for the fiasco last night mainly with the stadium folks, as drunken idiot students & alums will be drunken idiot students & alums, no matter what the school. Sorry, I know this is like beating a dead horse.

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I agree it was a poor display. At the beginning of the game I commented to my buddies that I was surprised at the lack of security. At the end of the game they were much more concerned about the field goal posts than the teams. I know the goal posts coming down would be extremely bad, but we have to protect the players first before protecting idiot fans who may try and take down the posts. I hope that in the future the fans realize that there is no need to rush the field, ever, before the game ends. I rushed the field in 99 (after the game) when we beat GSU (they were #1). I used to hate it when analysts and such would condemn fans going onto the field/ court. Now, (maybe it's because I'm getting older) I agree with them completely. I love the exuberance of our fans and their committment, but you're not on the team (as much as you--and I--may want to be), stay in the stands until after the game.

GreatAppSt
December 16th, 2007, 07:41 PM
First -
Congrats to App for title 3 and congrats to my man KROY BIERMANN for winning the Buck.

Now,
Becuase I was at my niece's Christmasty pageant and dinner I missed the game, I ony saw Apps first drive.

Can someone give me a calm and reasonable (preferably not an App or Delaware fan or the umassfan...) of what happened with the App fans tonight? Did they really act as ridiculous as many are saying they did?

If security ie Marines contingent and security officers did not want the fans on the edge of the field, why did they open the gates from the stands, and wave them onto the field from the endzone? And yes I was watching this not Treys Elders runxbawlingx The fans were waved on to the field and directed around the side lines, watch the tape. The fans were waiting on the low enzone wall, but if you were waiting to rush a field and then saw several Marine security and cops waving for you to come on down what would you do? End of story.:)

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2007, 09:31 PM
If security ie Marines contingent and security officers did not want the fans on the edge of the field, why did they open the gates from the stands, and wave them onto the field from the endzone? And yes I was watching this not Treys Elders runxbawlingx The fans were waved on to the field and directed around the side lines, watch the tape. The fans were waiting on the low enzone wall, but if you were waiting to rush a field and then saw several Marine security and cops waving for you to come on down what would you do? End of story.:)

As to why they opened the gates from the stands, that is baffling. As far as them waving to the crowd to come to the sidelines and endzone right up to the out of bounds lines, I find that hard to believe. How do you know they weren't waving for people to stay back. Were the "come forward waves" or "stay back waves"?..xlolx

BigApp
December 16th, 2007, 09:46 PM
The nat'l guard was directing fans on the field around the sidelines, to stay behind the dotted line that surrounds the field.
IMO, complaining is just sour grapes, to the winner goes the spoilsxhurrayx

funny how this thread practically died when the truth hit the bandwidth.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

BigApp
December 16th, 2007, 09:48 PM

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

chattanoogamocs
December 16th, 2007, 09:54 PM
As to why they opened the gates from the stands, that is baffling. As far as them waving to the crowd to come to the sidelines and endzone right up to the out of bounds lines, I find that hard to believe. How do you know they weren't waving for people to stay back. Were the "come forward waves" or "stay back waves"?..xlolx

I think the problem was the national guardsmen were instructed not to impede people to come down after the game. If one of them said it was alright to come down early, it was his error, because that was not what was instructed by the officials. People are quick to immediately blame the local officials, but every step of the process (including letting people on that hill with no barrier) was APPROVED by the NCAA.

The reason they don't physically block off the stairs was because last year someone broke their arm trying to get out of the stands. They purposely tried not to obstruct people from getting to the field...but like I said, I guess it was naive to think that people would actually try to run to the sidelines with 4 minutes left.

BTW...they never blocked off the stairs the last 10 times and there was no problem before.

People can go back and forth for months but this boils down to one simple thing...

the officials assumed that people would show enough restraint to wait to be on the playing field until after the game was over (which I retrospect was foolish...you should always prepare for people's worst behavior, not their best).

The easiest solution would have been for the officials to stop the game and say it would not be resumed until the sidelines were cleared...Jerry Moore apparently questioned the sideline judge this very thing...but those officials apparently just want to hurry up and get the hell out of their (I never, ever complain about officials...but I will say this, I wasn't impressed at all)

...What happened on Saturday was an error that will never happen again. Trust me.

What will be interesting to see in the future is if people will still get to go down after the game...or if this year blew that and the new policy will be that no one gets on the field anymore (even after the game is over).

I hope they don't take away that experience for the fans (because so few venues allow it)...but I also wouldn't blame them at all if they did.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I think the problem was the national guardsmen were instructed not to impede people to come down after the game. If one of them said it was alright to come down early, it was his error, because that was not what was instructed by the officials. People are quick to immediately blame the local officials, but every step of the process (including letting people on that hill with no barrier) was APPROVED by the NCAA.

The reason they don't physically block off the stairs was because last year someone broke their arm trying to get out of the stands. They purposely tried not to obstruct people from getting to the field...but like I said, I guess it was naive to think that people would actually try to run to the sidelines with 4 minutes left.

BTW...they never blocked off the stairs the last 10 times and there was no problem before.

People can go back and forth for months but this boils down to one simple thing...

the officials assumed that people would show enough restraint to wait to be on the playing field until after the game was over (which I retrospect was foolish...you should always prepare for people's worst behavior, not their best).

The easiest solution would have been for the officials to stop the game and say it would not be resumed until the sidelines were cleared...Jerry Moore apparently questioned the sideline judge this very thing...but those officials apparently just want to hurry up and get the hell out of their (I never, ever complain about officials...but I will say this, I wasn't impressed at all)

...What happened on Saturday was an error that will never happen again. Trust me.

What will be interesting to see in the future is if people will still get to go down after the game...or if this year blew that and the new policy will be that no one gets on the field anymore (even after the game is over).

I hope they don't take away that experience for the fans (because so few venues allow it)...but I also wouldn't blame them at all if they did.

I know in 04' a couple thousand JMU fans, some of them still a little intoxicated, managed to climb over the wall since the stairs were blocked (what is it, about a 6 foot drop?) and not injure themselves (at least not badly). If one drunk idiot out of thousands breaks their arm because they are a drunken idiot thats no reason to change the policy for the whole stadium.

ASUPATCH
December 16th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I am personally annoyed at how drunk and dumb we have become with the field rushings. I think they need to have a mandatory class for incoming freshmen on the subject. We assembled a bit too early for the semi last year against YSU and even ran on the field and they had to clear it to get one last play off. We surrounded the field to early against Richmond and Delaware and its turning into an embarassment to me. One kid even tried to steal a pylon while the game was still being played and then the security had to remove them for the last 3 minutes of the game. I am a STUDENT and I love football and enjoy having cocktails before hand. Our student body is largely treating football as a drinking competition followed by a yelling curse words as players as opposed to witty comments competition and followed by a how not to storm the field competition. It doesn't seem like it is going to change until they start disallowing the drunks or improve security.

ASUPATCH
December 17th, 2007, 12:02 AM
For the record I charged the field in 06 when it was done after the last play but didn't want to be associated whit what occured friday night and decided to stay in the stands. There was definatly no harm but it underminded a great game and I knew as soon as it happened people would talk about the field rushing more then the game itself 2-1.

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2007, 12:21 AM
One kid even tried to steal a pylon while the game was still being played and then the security had to remove them for the last 3 minutes of the game.

I saw that.

...I also saw a kid run out and crouch down on the 10 yard line number and a friend took his picture...then he ran back into the back of the crowd hoping the a cop couldn't pick him out...but the cop did see him, gave him a shove to the back of the sidelines (and that was all I could see from the roof).

Not to mention the three guys waving "come to me" to the UD guy who had the TD run (that is who he was actually aiming at when he missed and hit the cop). I actually had a pic of it, but it was too blurry.

Which, btw, makes me wonder...when the cop kinda ran out towards the player my first thought was "what the hell is the cop going to to? Arrest the player in the endzone?" xlolx now THAT would have made Sportscenter.

Except for those couple of little things, it was a pretty well behaved group whether it was the right thing to do or not.

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I know in 04' a couple thousand JMU fans, some of them still a little intoxicated, managed to climb over the wall since the stairs were blocked (what is it, about a 6 foot drop?) and not injure themselves (at least not badly). If one drunk idiot out of thousands breaks their arm because they are a drunken idiot thats no reason to change the policy for the whole stadium.

If the stairs were ever actually blocked it was a fire code violation. I have seen police stand right in front of the stairs, but I have never seen them blocked (for any home game).

appman111
December 17th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Maybe Chattanooga should quit using college ROTC kids as security if they want to keep people off the field. We were right on the ledge in the grass area and there were 3 policemen and about 10 ROTC people who were getting a kick out of the fans. We talked with one of them and he said "just dont go for the goalposts, thats what we're here for".

i guess the 3 cops were supposed to keep the hundreds of fans off the field when the ROTC people motioned us down with 3 minutes left. (PEOPLE ARE CONVENIENTLY IGNORING THIS FACT) . i guess every single App fan was supposed to stand there as the first few people poured on the field and say "wait a minute,....this is classless and it is a bad representation of our fanbase. we should all stay on the grass."

by the way, while i loved being about 10 yards from the field, it was absolutely stupid to have no separation whatsoever between the grass and the playing field. chattanooga has only themselves to blame for it. when you know you're about to accommodate about as many fans as your stadium has seen the entire season combined, you need to make the proper security arrangements. I noticed last year too that there were hardly ANY police. downtown chattanooga last year was pandemonium. we drove through the streets as fans were pouring out and did not see a single police car.

edit-correction, they were national guardsmen

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Maybe Chattanooga should quit using college ROTC kids as security if they want to keep people off the field. We were right on the ledge in the grass area and there were 3 policemen and about 10 ROTC people who were getting a kick out of the fans. We talked with one of them and he said "just dont go for the goalposts, thats what we're here for".

i guess the 3 cops were supposed to keep the hundreds of fans off the field when the ROTC people motioned us down with 3 minutes left.

they were national guardsmen.

appman111
December 17th, 2007, 12:42 AM
they were national guardsmen.

My apologies. My point stands, though. One of them told us directly that he was only there to protect the goalposts, and another couple of them motioned the first wave of fans down from the corner of the end zone. the rest followed.

either way, we had a blast, and i think that with about twice the security (for sold out games), chattanooga would be an ideal place for a championship game. we have enjoyed it each year. i can understand, however, that since a team close to Chatty won't play in the championship each year, its hard to have a set system because attendance could vary so much.

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2007, 04:36 AM
My apologies. My point stands, though. One of them told us directly that he was only there to protect the goalposts, and another couple of them motioned the first wave of fans down from the corner of the end zone. the rest followed.

either way, we had a blast, and i think that with about twice the security (for sold out games), chattanooga would be an ideal place for a championship game. we have enjoyed it each year. i can understand, however, that since a team close to Chatty won't play in the championship each year, its hard to have a set system because attendance could vary so much.

BTW, I don't think....(PEOPLE ARE CONVENIENTLY IGNORING THIS FACT)....I think people have a hard time believing the national guardsmen told all the fans it was alright to run to edge of the endzone. I think it is probably easier to believe that a bunch of primarily drunk college students might misinterpreted the guardsmen saying it was alright to step off the ledge onto the grass because the people were crowding in behind (before someone fell off the edge)...if they indeed did tell people it was alright to come all the way out to the field (which I also have trouble believing because they immediately started pushing people back), it was a major error on their part...an error that will not happen again.

I have never said that it was not at the very least partly the securities blame, but I also find it interesting how some many of the people that did it immediately try to pass the blame entirely on to security...the truth is, both groups share the blame.

You are correct though, they were there only to protect the goal posts...they were never there to stop people from going on the field AFTER the game (the NCAA and the local sports committee really have no issue with fans celebrating after the game).

Sorry...I promise this will be the last time I ever post about any of this again...it pointless (and just wasting time going on ad nauseum), it happened...it won't happen again.

trusty
December 17th, 2007, 08:07 AM
It wasn't the students fault for crowding the field IMO. The enforcement around Finely was HORRIBLE. I stepped away from the field and was just amazed by the lack of holding people back by the security officers there.

Yeah the students had nothing to do with itxsmiley_wix

Black and Gold Express
December 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM
unfortunately one Delaware player lost his cool over it. His behavior was completely unexcusable--but nonetheless completely explainable (in that there's no doubting what prompted it). I'm just grateful that nothing more came of it.

Complete and utter bull****. There is no explaining away that player's actions. What prompetd it was inexcusable immaturity by the UD player. His immature act could have set off something hugely disturbing if that cop had not (by the sheer grace of God) accidentally taken the full brunt of the thrown football. Had he instead hit one of the students, the mob mentality more than likely would have spilled onto the field, with probable grave repercussions.

Yes, Delaware lost the title game. I have no doubt the enitre team was upset/angry/sad, etc. NONE of that excuses or explains that act, the single most deplorable incident of the whole game.

Every UD fan I met was the epitome of class. It's too bad that player lost his cool (and after making the single biggest positive play of the game for UD to boot) and almost set off a powderkeg.

As for the fans being there in the first place, I was very nervous that something bad would happen, watching that unfold from Section 225. Word has it the security near the grass section invited them to do it? But once it was there, I was frankly amazed that the fans stayed off the field itself until the final seconds ticked off. All things considered, the fact that they stayed away from the UD bench and did not cause an incident is a lot more than I was expecting.

Black and Gold Express
December 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM
BTW for those who are ripping on Duncan throwing the ball in the stands...if there weren't people on the sidelines then there wouldn't be anyone there for him to throw it at...just my .02

A true statement, but also not relevant. There WERE ASU fans there, and they did not provoke the Delaware player. By all accounts, he flung the ball directly at the crowd, and yelled obscenities to boot. Again, he's lucky he hit the cop, and even then the cop came charging out at him. Imagine if he'd done that and bloodied the nose of some 19 year old girl who happened to be there on the sidelines. It's already an overcharged atmosphere, and I find it hard to believe that the reaction would not have been much more severe had it played out differently.

The kids shouldn't have been there, very true. The fault for that whole incident lies with the UD player, and him alone.

APP91
December 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
BTW, I don't think....(PEOPLE ARE CONVENIENTLY IGNORING THIS FACT)....I think people have a hard time believing the national guardsmen told all the fans it was alright to run to edge of the endzone. I think it is probably easier to believe that a bunch of primarily drunk college students might misinterpreted the guardsmen saying it was alright to step off the ledge onto the grass because the people were crowding in behind (before someone fell off the edge)...if they indeed did tell people it was alright to come all the way out to the field (which I also have trouble believing because they immediately started pushing people back), it was a major error on their part...an error that will not happen again.

I have never said that it was not at the very least partly the securities blame, but I also find it interesting how some many of the people that did it immediately try to pass the blame entirely on to security...the truth is, both groups share the blame.

You are correct though, they were there only to protect the goal posts...they were never there to stop people from going on the field AFTER the game (the NCAA and the local sports committee really have no issue with fans celebrating after the game).

Sorry...I promise this will be the last time I ever post about any of this again...it pointless (and just wasting time going on ad nauseum), it happened...it won't happen again.

Mocs, Thanks for all the info on the game and happenings.
I am the one who mentioned that they waved us down. That is exactly what happened. They did the traffic direction wave to spread things out. Pointed at the white line, telling us to not to go any further. It was really quite calm. officers and guardsmen were smiling and slapping high fives. All was pretty fun until the photo opportunity you spoke of happened. Not sure what happened but cop chased him in the crowd.

Final question. What happened to the security detail in the walkway between the stands and sro bank? they left mid 4th and thats where we walked from.

Henny
December 17th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I was there too, I went the gamut from breaking up a fight while tailgaiting to having great conversations with APP fans (we were surrounded by them), they were very complementary and a couple even said you guys cant buy a break, nice people. We all enjoyed the game, I think the App administrators learned from the mistake and I'm sure Chatty will make changes. So all in all, as a UD fan, I would like to get past this and congratulate the APPS on a third.

bench
December 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I was there too, I went the gamut from breaking up a fight while tailgaiting to having great conversations with APP fans (we were surrounded by them), they were very complementary and a couple even said you guys cant buy a break, nice people. We all enjoyed the game, I think the App administrators learned from the mistake and I'm sure Chatty will make changes. So all in all, as a UD fan, I would like to get past this and congratulate the APPS on a third.
Thanks, man. I'd settle for everyone else skipping the congratulations as long as they pull the plug on the moral superiority routine. Yes, we know everyone else's fans are teetotalers and Sunday school teachers. Yes, we know our fans are currently leading the league in nasty anecdotes. Enough already.

Oh, and those nice App people you talked to? They weren't. They were lying to you because THEY WERE GONNA RAAAAPE YOUUUU

asu7
December 18th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Thanks Henny ... you guys could not buy a break that is for sure ...

You guys probably got our most complete game this year ... well you and UR ...

I don't think we got UD's best game ...

Your team was better than it played friday ...

It was a great game though ... was always expecting UD to come back ...

had fun messing with your mascot as he/she was down on our end most of the time ...

I kept telling the blue hen that I wanted a drum stick and asking if they came in extra crispy or original recipie lol

'neers80
December 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks, man. I'd settle for everyone else skipping the congratulations as long as they pull the plug on the moral superiority routine. Yes, we know everyone else's fans are teetotalers and Sunday school teachers. Yes, we know our fans are currently leading the league in nasty anecdotes. Enough already.

Oh, and those nice App people you talked to? They weren't. They were lying to you because THEY WERE GONNA RAAAAPE YOUUUU
agreed ... lets NOT be moral! because if you are you go to church.

bench
December 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM
agreed ... lets NOT be moral! because if you are you go to church.
Man what

spoogemcgee18
December 18th, 2007, 10:43 AM
After the first few fans jumped down, no one said to get back in the stands.

Maybe they could have told them to get back in the stands if the P.A. System would have been half-audible.