PDA

View Full Version : UCA Joins SLC

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Nice pickup for the SLC in my eyes. They basically add one school since A&M-CC is a trade for ULM. This team is going to compete right away as is evident by their 35-34 loss to I-AA Tennessee Martin, a team that had 30 more scholarships than them...

UCA invited to join Southland

LITTLE ROCK (AP) — The University of Central Arkansas has been invited to join the Southland Conference, and its Board of Trustees will meet Thursday to discuss the offer, the school said.

Central Arkansas scheduled a news conference for immediately after the 1 p.m. meeting, according to a news release from UCA.

Central Arkansas has already notified the Gulf South Conference that it plans to leave the league next June, but only if it could find a new league for its men's and women's athletic teams. The move followed last year's application to the NCAA to move from Division II to Division I-AA.

The Southland Conference plays football in Division I-AA. A four-person evaluation team from the league visited Central Arkansas in July.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff is now the state's only Division I-AA school. The state's only Division I-A schools are Arkansas and Arkansas State. Arkansas-Little Rock plays Division I basketball in the Sun Belt Conference with ASU, but does not have a football team.

89Hen
September 15th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I think this is great news! They do seem like they will be able to be competitive rather quickly. Heck, we even had one of their fans show up here a couple of weeks ago. However, did we really need another purple I-AA? :p

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Three purples in the SLC alone!

SFA, NW State and UCA...

JSU02
September 17th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Sadly, UTM doesn't offer the full 63 equivilents, so it was actually more of a meeting a equals. Nevertheless, UCA is a good school and a good pick up for the SLC