PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to UD!

Yosef92
December 15th, 2007, 12:06 AM
What a great season and amazing run in the playoffs! Look forward to tracking your progress next year and beyond. Good luck until we we meet again.

Griz40
December 15th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Congrats Delaware on a great season and a great post season!!!
Yosef92 if I had any rep to give left I would give you some tonight! (sadly I have to wait until tomorrow)

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
You guys have a great coach and a great team.
They never gave up and fought hard to the end.

You're losing some good players, but should be able to bounce back next year.

Congrats on a great season, Good luck in '08

Yosef92
December 15th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Don't need anything(rep) tonite. Thanks anyway

Yosef92
December 15th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Ditto!!!

Well played! And an exciting season! Go Hens!

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I'll have to agree.. great season, i can't wait until next November..

unicat87
December 15th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Congrats to UD for playing well on the road to get to the finals! (I wish UNI had been able to stop Flacco better, but maybe next time....against Delaware that is) So, props to UD for a fine runner-up finish! :) -unicat87

unicat87
December 15th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Congrats to Delaware! -unicat87

mistersykes
December 15th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Way to go, UD! You had a great season, just came up short in the final. Knocking off two seeds on the road is no easy task! Head up!

spdram
December 15th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I know it hurts to lose but you guys had a great season and represented your school, your conference and yourselves well! Congrats and cannot wait until we meet in Richmond next season! Think we can make it 6 OT's?

Monarch History
December 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hold your head high guys, you had a great season and even greater playoff run. You did the CAA proud. xnodx xnodx

Go...gate
December 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Congratulations to the Hens! A great season!

89Hen
December 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM
They made it further than I thought they'd make it. Although obviously disappointed with last night, I was very happy with the season and just glad I was there last night to take it in.

spelunker64
December 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Classy Program, great year. Tough play when it mattered!

igo4uni
December 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM
good season!!!

igo4uni
December 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
They made it further than I thought they'd make it. Although obviously disappointed with last night, I was very happy with the season and just glad I was there last night to take it in.

Give us a post game analysis and thoughts post, henny!!!!

unicat87
December 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I know how hard it is to be for the losing team, but there is a tremendous satisfaction in being able to be there for the team anyway. :) -unicat87

Gil Dobie
December 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Congrats Hens xthumbsupx

ShgooseAPP
December 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
The Hens had a GREAT season this year. I was happy to be playing them in the game last night and am looking ready to see what they can do in the future.

JohnStOnge
December 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Actually, I think Delaware had kind of a "Deer in the Headlights" look in that game. Great effort in the first three rounds, but I don't think they showed up real well in the championship game. I think they were capable of better than that.

AAadict
December 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Actually, I think Delaware had kind of a "Deer in the Headlights" look in that game. Great effort in the first three rounds, but I don't think they showed up real well in the championship game. I think they were capable of better than that.

App State was the best team in the FCS this year. There is no doubt that they deserved to win the championship and Delaware struggled to match their speed. It must be difficult for our team to

1. Play a playoff game vs. Delaware State that had national attention for all the wrong reasons (a game avoided by UD due to racism according to Delaware State AD)

2. Travel to Iowa, win, and get iced in for days as you need to get home for final exams.

3. Travel to SIU, win, and have one less day to prepare for App. State.

4. Travel to Chattanooga and play the best team in FCS in the NC having most of the breaks go against you early in the game.

I was disappointed in the outcome of the game but I think the post season was a lot to ask of a team to expect them to stay sharp through all of that.

Thanks for a great seasons 2007 Blue Hens. Congrats to the best team in FCS...APP STATE!

Appinator
December 15th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I ditto the program's classiness. To me, Coach Keeler came off in the "tapegate" conflict kind of looking like a jerk in the media, but he proved to be a complete 180 from that. He handled his players and the fan situation at the end very well and was a great ambassador for your school. Even the horrible job done by the referees was handled well. Good luck next season.

89Hen
December 15th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Give us a post game analysis and thoughts post, henny!!!!
Well igo, I'm pretty much drained. I'm back home in MD now after a nice dinner and have spent the last several hours telling my wife and kids what a great time it was and how perfect Chatty was for this championship. I used to be a big doubter of Chatty, but after being there, I am no longer. It's the perfect sized city for our championship IMO. It felt like there were 50,000 fans there and it also felt like we had the entire place to App and UD. However, I do wonder what it would feel like if it were two teams who didn't travel well. xconfusedx

As for the game there's not much to say. Pregame I had said that UD couldn't afford to start the way they did against UNI and SIU because they'd be down more than just 10-0... that was pretty much dead on. Of course I was disappointed in a lot of the officiating, but it didn't cost the Hens the game, it just cost us from maybe a closer game. The calls I took exception to were the Richardson fumble that resulted in an App TD. We were sitting on the GL in that endzone and the ball went right to a UD player. Instead of calling it Hen ball right away, they allowed players to pile on and an App player ended up pulling the ball away from the Hen. I know this because he said so in the Chatty paper this morning. That made it 21-0 instead of 14-0 with UD having it on the 20. The other was the ghost offensive pass interference. It didn't end up really making a difference as the Hens scored a couple plays later.

All that said, App won the game, there's no two ways around that. Their fans were very impressive in numbers and enthusiasm. Their cheers were much better than most I've seen. There was only one time they cheered "block that S***" on the FG try. I never understood why fans (ours included) do that. It's wholly unnecessary. Chanting "It's great - to be - a Mountaineer." are the kind of cheers I appreciate. I've always hated the other team sucks cheers and I didn't hear any of that.

App fans should be very proud and today I'd agree that "It's great to be a Mountaineer", but I wouldn't give up being a Hen ever. xthumbsupx

Horseshoe App
December 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM
The Delaware fans were pretty awesome. I stayed at the Mariott(Delaware's home hotel) and I was thoroughly impressed at all of the UD fans who stayed in the lobby and gave every coach and player a standing ovation when they came in. This was between 1am to 2am in the morning. I also had the pleasure of enjoying a great tailgate event with some very nice Delaware fans. Yes, I saw some nasty UD fans as well as some bad App fans, but almost all the fans I saw for both teams very classy and polite. Again, congratulations on a great season. Your team and fans deserve nothing but the best.

HiHiYikas
December 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Great season, UD...a great team with lots to be proud of...The Hens became a textbook case of why playoffs are the only legitimate system for giving out football trophies.

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I had hoped to meet some AGSers who where there for UD...unfortunate that didn't happen. Guess I'll just have to hope for a playoff meeting next year between the schools to try to plan something :D

asu7
December 15th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Congrats on great season BLUE HENS ... it was nice getting to meet some of yall!

feb18blacksunday
December 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM
The Delaware fans were pretty awesome. I stayed at the Mariott(Delaware's home hotel) and I was thoroughly impressed at all of the UD fans who stayed in the lobby and gave every coach and player a standing ovation when they came in. This was between 1am to 2am in the morning. I also had the pleasure of enjoying a great tailgate event with some very nice Delaware fans. Yes, I saw some nasty UD fans as well as some bad App fans, but almost all the fans I saw for both teams very classy and polite. Again, congratulations on a great season. Your team and fans deserve nothing but the best.

I agree Most of the UD fans were great peeps. Helmet Head is the man.

Henny
December 16th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Uhh If you really mean me , I just got home an hour ago and sliced and diced the game on the way home with some friends. I had great dialouge with informed ASU fans, tailgaiting and in the stands. App state was the better team. We all agreed, but UD just didnt seem the same after two weeks on the road and taking finals throughout the week of game prep.

We all wondered how App. St handled finals if they had them this week. It sounded like UD put the student athletes through he)) by taking exams in Chatty.

Was an App. State proctor there making them take finals in Chatty while they were prepping for the game? Just curious?

JohnStOnge
December 16th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Was an App. State proctor there making them take finals in Chatty while they were prepping for the game? Just curious?

I've wondered about whether or not there is an "exam effect" ever since, after Marshal beat McNeese 25-13 in the 1995 semis, I learned that McNeese had taken finals that week while Marshall had not. Then, if I remember correctly, Marshall had to take exams the next week while Montana did not and the Herd lost.

A two game run like that could obviously easily be due to chance. But it'd be interesting ... though almost impossible or at least very hard...for someone to go back through and see what the won/loss record is for teams that took finals during the week leading up to a playoff game when they played against opponents who did not. That would give some empirical suggestion as to whether or not being in that situation puts a team at a disadvantage. Couldn't show cause and effect, but an association that couldn't reasonably be due to chance would be suggestive.

I've always been inclined to believe that it does have an effect because I remember what taking finals was like. For me there wouldn't have been a whole lot of room during finals week to do any kind of mental preparation for anything else. Plus I found it to tax me physically due to all the hours of concentration and sleep deprivation.

Course I was a "cram" style student. I tended to kind of coast most of the time then stay up all night studying at the last minute when test time came.

Nothing you can do about it, and I'm sure a good proportion of the teams that've won championships had to get through games like that. I guess if the schedule was similar Delaware may have had a blowout championship win after an exam week in 2003. It's just something that has to be handled. But I do wonder if it cuts your chances of winning to some extent.

ngineer
December 16th, 2007, 08:23 AM
It has to have an impact. Not just the time needed for studying, but the emotional effect as well. I remember getting 'wound up' over some exams in college, and having to deal with that, let alone the prep and practice time for a playoff or NC game, could really result in some 'overload' of the nervous system and mental focus. In the past, I know some schools have allowed their playoff teams to defer their exams until after the game.

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Well igo, I'm pretty much drained. I'm back home in MD now after a nice dinner and have spent the last several hours telling my wife and kids what a great time it was and how perfect Chatty was for this championship. I used to be a big doubter of Chatty, but after being there, I am no longer. It's the perfect sized city for our championship IMO. It felt like there were 50,000 fans there and it also felt like we had the entire place to App and UD. However, I do wonder what it would feel like if it were two teams who didn't travel well. xconfusedx

As for the game there's not much to say. Pregame I had said that UD couldn't afford to start the way they did against UNI and SIU because they'd be down more than just 10-0... that was pretty much dead on. Of course I was disappointed in a lot of the officiating, but it didn't cost the Hens the game, it just cost us from maybe a closer game. The calls I took exception to were the Richardson fumble that resulted in an App TD. We were sitting on the GL in that endzone and the ball went right to a UD player. Instead of calling it Hen ball right away, they allowed players to pile on and an App player ended up pulling the ball away from the Hen. I know this because he said so in the Chatty paper this morning. That made it 21-0 instead of 14-0 with UD having it on the 20. The other was the ghost offensive pass interference. It didn't end up really making a difference as the Hens scored a couple plays later.

All that said, App won the game, there's no two ways around that. Their fans were very impressive in numbers and enthusiasm. Their cheers were much better than most I've seen. There was only one time they cheered "block that S***" on the FG try. I never understood why fans (ours included) do that. It's wholly unnecessary. Chanting "It's great - to be - a Mountaineer." are the kind of cheers I appreciate. I've always hated the other team sucks cheers and I didn't hear any of that.

App fans should be very proud and today I'd agree that "It's great to be a Mountaineer", but I wouldn't give up being a Hen ever. xthumbsupx

I agree, we actually told some fans who were chanting that to shut up. You're in college, you should be smart enough to come up with a better chant than that. I was on the Delaware side, section 127, met some great UD fans that sat behind us--classy people. I thought KC was excellent in the way he handled the bad officiating and the fan situation. He's a stand up guy, and I hope he stays with Delaware for a long time. It is unfortunate the fan situation ended up the way it did. The security was awful, and hopefully our students and bandwagon fans will one day understand what it means to "act like you've been there before." Great day for both schools and best of luck in 08. xthumbsupx

boonegoon
December 16th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Excellent post, but having the ability to see the replay of the fumble into the endzone the ball was clearly out and about and into the App players hands before the pile up started. I truly think the right call was made there. I do agree with you on several other bad calls though.

proasu89
December 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Uhh If you really mean me , I just got home an hour ago and sliced and diced the game on the way home with some friends. I had great dialouge with informed ASU fans, tailgaiting and in the stands. App state was the better team. We all agreed, but UD just didnt seem the same after two weeks on the road and taking finals throughout the week of game prep.

We all wondered how App. St handled finals if they had them this week. It sounded like UD put the student athletes through he)) by taking exams in Chatty.

The team left Tuesday night so some were finished with exams. The main man for academic advising was interviewed before the Richmond game and explained that he and his staff would collect the sealed exams and oversee in Chattanooga. I have no idea what day those were administered.

GreatAppSt
December 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM

It was good to finally meet ya 89 sorry we didn't have a chance to talk more but the cider making had me quite busy.xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
December 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM
UD

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

UDChE89
December 16th, 2007, 04:08 PM

I was at the Marriott as well when the team came in and appreciate the ASU fans who applauded when our players came in.

ASUG8
December 16th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Great season - it's a testament to your program to win all your playoff games on the road. We'll be watching to see who picks Flacco next year - he's a great player.

GreatAppSt
December 16th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I was at the Marriott as well when the team came in and appreciate the ASU fans who applauded when our players came in.

Maybe some of us do know how to act.:D

bench
December 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Maybe some of us do know how to act.:D
Nope, we're all classless. Every single one of us.