PDA

View Full Version : App Next Year

patssle
December 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM
How many starters you guys losing?

slycat
December 14th, 2007, 10:50 PM
all i know is that AE is a jr next year and thats scary.

patssle
December 14th, 2007, 10:50 PM
all i know is that AE is a jr next year and thats scary.

No joke.

Block-A
December 14th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Entire defensive secondary, both guards and center from tonight's game, at least one WR and one TE; off the top of my head....

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Appy is at the level where they re-load now.

Appy is at the level Youngstown was in the 90's.

Block-A
December 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Oops, K. Richardson at RB, too...

AshevilleApp
December 14th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Secondary will be the biggest test.....We return our eniter DL and LB crew and AE of course.....plenty of receivers are coming back and Devon Moore will quickly make K-Rich loss seem a piece of cake....

Oh and a couple busloads of classless fans

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Cortez Gilbert is a sophomore so we'll have at least one guy with some experience in the secondary.

appstate38
December 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Cortez Gilbert is a sophomore so we'll have at least one guy with some experience in the secondary.

Leonard Love will step in at Saftey I think. Biggest losses: Lynch and K Rich

Block-A
December 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Cortez Gilbert is a sophomore...

Well, he achieved his starting position a little late in the year...

seantaylor
December 14th, 2007, 11:34 PM
The biggest losses are the Oline, which has been the best in the division for the last 3 years. Look for their rushing stats to take a dip next year.

AZGrizFan
December 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Secondary will be the biggest test.....We return our eniter DL and LB crew and AE of course.....plenty of receivers are coming back and Devon Moore will quickly make K-Rich loss seem a piece of cake....

I'm gonna guess that you'll be GAINING several thousand classless fans....comes with the territory. xcoolx

AppStsGr8
December 15th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Richardson, offensive line, Lynch, Pierre Banks ... lots of folks graduating. Devon Moore will pick up nicely at RB provided a new oline can get on board quickly enough. Time will tell ...

ViennaSpider
December 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Please tell me that AE is going to the NFL next year! I think he's more elusive than Vick and has a great arm to boot.

SCPALADIN
December 15th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Please tell me that AE is going to the NFL next year! I think he's more elusive than Vick and has a great arm to boot.

I think he's a little small to be a QB in the NFL...just my $.02
He's listed as 175lbs...I'll bet that's soaking wet and with his pads on.

mistersykes
December 15th, 2007, 01:12 AM

Agreed! He looks like a walking toothpick when I see him on campus! However, his playmaking ability is amazing, and I bet somebody will be willing to take a shot at him for SOME position.

roysboi12
December 15th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Pierre Banks is a junior. Cam Speer is the only senior LB

AppStsGr8
December 15th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the correction. I keep thinking Pierre's a senior since he's already earned his bachelors degree (in 3 years) and is working on his masters. He's one of my favorites to watch and is a great story.

Mr. Tiger
December 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Agreed! He looks like a walking toothpick when I see him on campus! However, his playmaking ability is amazing, and I bet somebody will be willing to take a shot at him for SOME position.

If he has the hands...receiver and return man. If he wasn't so little he would have a shot at QB.

McNeese75
December 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Your freshman LB (#9 I believe) is impressive

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 11:44 AM

I had no idea who he was and why he was starting over Speer early on but MAN, now I know. He is a beast. If he stays on track it appears he can be better than Coakley. He has the better NFL LB build. Next season should be knock down, drag out, not only in SoCon but all of FCS. Is it August yet? xbawlingx

Mountaineer
December 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM

D.J. Smith. Won the SoCon defensive player of the month award in November. The kid is gonna be a real good one. xthumbsupx

appstate1998
December 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I don't think AE will ever play QB in the NFL...but you also have to realize...he is what 19 maybe 20....good chance he still has a little growing to do and can bulk up a little bit.

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I don't think AE will ever play QB in the NFL...but you also have to realize...he is what 19 maybe 20....good chance he still has a little growing to do and can bulk up a little bit.

Yikes!! If he could just get another inch or two and 20 or 30 pounds, oh can you imagine. It's not unprecedented, not likely to get taller, but possible none the less.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I don't know why people are dismissing Armanti for being small for a QB...
V-Word is only 6 feet also.. but that didn't stop him from being dangerous... Armanti just needs to put on some weight...

Mountain Panther
December 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Those are fans for life, chief.

jonmac
December 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Those are fans for life, chief.

Yep, we've all got 'em. But it seems it's becoming the immoral majority. Here's to all of us being able to handle the succes that may come our way.xbeerchugx

WrenFGun
December 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
What did the SoCon seem to figure out that the playoff teams could not? Edwards had what I would consider an average regular season (it's hard to exactly find those numbers because the yahoo stats have the updated playoff numbers, to my surprise), and yet, in three games I saw of him (Mich, UR, UD) he was absolutely unstoppable. What were teams like GSU and Wofford doing to stop him? Was he just out injured?

JDC325
December 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Leonard Love will step in at Saftey I think. Biggest losses: Lynch and K Rich

Losing Elder as a back up is also a HUGE loss.

B&G
December 15th, 2007, 02:55 PM
What did the SoCon seem to figure out that the playoff teams could not? Edwards had what I would consider an average regular season (it's hard to exactly find those numbers because the yahoo stats have the updated playoff numbers, to my surprise), and yet, in three games I saw of him (Mich, UR, UD) he was absolutely unstoppable. What were teams like GSU and Wofford doing to stop him? Was he just out injured?

He didn't play for about 3.5 games.

B&G
December 15th, 2007, 02:56 PM

True. However it is likely he will be on their coaching staff next year.

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I heard the freshman linebacker had offers from UNC and Virgina Tech, but chose us becouse he wanted to play immediately. Next years team should be even better. I thought at the beginning of the year this was a reloading year for us becouse of all the inexperenced players on defense. Even though we are losing some key players, our team should be better overall.

feb18blacksunday
December 15th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Yea we've got Lewis comin back too. Devon Moore too. Reloading true.

KiddBrewer
December 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
i think the defense, as a whole, could actually improve next year. lb corp is going to be very solid, secondary is losing a lot, but has good players filling in, and the d line has gotten some experience.

offensively, youre losing richardson, but moore is solid. losing batichon and jackson, but the last three years, someone new has stepped up. weve got armanti. o line will be a question, but weve got great coaches on the line, they'll figure something out to keep the train movin.

i think we'll be alright, and my guess is in the running for number 4.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Schedule them when AE is out of the line up.xsmiley_wix

proasu89
December 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Armanti was dinged, BUT the SoCon was better than a 2 team playoff league;)

ERASU2113
December 15th, 2007, 06:34 PM
How many starters you guys losing?

3 guys on the O-line...Suttle, Brown, and Holt.

The secondary....even though Cortez Gilbert and Leonard Love have game/starting experience.

Dexter Jackson, Hans Batichon at WR...but have capable guys stepping up.

AppStateSVX
December 15th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Yes, but I am stoked about seeing CoCo Hilary take some more snaps next year!

appman111
December 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Apologies in advance to the rest of FCS. we aren't going to be worse next year.

alexale23
December 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
...WILL LOSE TO JMU

Applete
December 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM
...WILL LOSE TO JMU

will play jmu xcoffeex

RazorEdge19
December 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM

In the Wofford game, the App running game was non-existent (hard to believe considering their recent success) but Richardson finished under 30 total yards and AE got knocked out of the game in the second half. It didn't help that ASU just couldn't stop Wofford's offense.

Likewise, the ASU-GSU game involved two teams that knew each other very well. GSU, like Wofford, ran the ball all over App and kept the App offense off the field. Meanwhile, App struggled against GSU's banged up defense. (Not exactly sure why)

Granted, we also have to say that JMU figured out how to beat App as well. If not for an untimely fumble, all this discussion is about App and why they didn't go further.

As for 2008, I think the SoCon will be another deep conference. Elon and Citadel return a bunch of young successful players. Furman will likely be improved and playing with a chip on their shoulder. App will be very excellent. There's questions surrounding Wofford and GSU, but I am confident both schools will be able to answer them.

It might be wishful thinking, but maybe the SoCon will pull a CAA and get 4 teams in the playoffs....xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Appaholic
December 15th, 2007, 07:58 PM
He's listed as 175lbs...I'll bet that's soaking wet and with his pads on...carrying beer bottles to throw at Paladin fans.......xcoffeex

fixed it for you....

Appinator
December 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM

I know of one NFL team in the Carolinas that could use him....

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2007, 08:45 PM
...WILL LOSE TO JMU
Shall we bookmark this one and come back to it in September? xeyebrowx

asu7
December 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Shall we bookmark this one and come back to it in September? xeyebrowx

we shall ...

it will be a tough game but it will be fun to watch!!!

APP91
December 15th, 2007, 10:37 PM
The biggest losses are the Oline, which has been the best in the division for the last 3 years. Look for their rushing stats to take a dip next year.

Think that I saw a stat in the Richmond game that the OLine who started that game had played 2 of the 13 games together. Lots of games lost due to injury up there.
We lose AA Kerry Brown, who will be a draft pick, and the only one who did not miss a game, I believe. Due to younger guys getting PT this year, I actually think we will be ok on the OLine. the Def. secondary may, on the other hand, be an issue. Especially early on, against passing teams.

BULLDOG8180
December 15th, 2007, 10:50 PM

I assure you, when App. St played The Citadel, AE was 100%. I was so glad when he rushed for 313 yds against Richmond.xbowx That surpassed the 291 yds he put on my dogs.xsmhx

seantaylor
December 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Schedule them when AE is out of the line up.xsmiley_wix

GSU beat a healthy Edwards led team at their place. Who else has done that in the last 3 years?

yoself09
December 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM
App loses 11 starters and returns 20 out of 22 backups

SCPALADIN
December 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Furman will likely be improved and playing with a chip on their shoulder.

I hope you're right...but I'm not convinced we'll see much, if any, improvement. You should see the offense revert back to one similar to when Ingle was here. We won't be running the option as much with Sorrells at QB. Our schedule next year is also very tough...we play both Delaware and Va. Tech...and everyone knows how tough the SoCon conference schedule is. I've found it interesting (the past year or so)to here people comparing the SoCon to the SEC in regard to conference strength in respective divisions.

Rekdiver
December 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
11 starters graduate including PK. HOWEVER 22 2nd teamers return plus the best class Jerry Moore has ever recruited will be redshirt freshmen next year. I did some work and chatting. The coaches won't put it in the media by privately they are saying we will be better next year...I know, I know, hard to believe but I'm done doubting this team and its coaches.
Unless we do something very stupid ( like opt to go up to the popularity contest, hanging chad, let's go to a meaningless bowl division) we are going to be living the life. It's a far cry from the days when Samford, Troy and Lenior Rhyne used to kick our back side and I saw those games too.......

AshevilleApp
December 16th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I remember the DJ Campbell years......we were mired in mediocrity

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM
As for 2008, I think the SoCon will be another deep conference. Elon and Citadel return a bunch of young successful players. Furman will likely be improved and playing with a chip on their shoulder. App will be very excellent. There's questions surrounding Wofford and GSU, but I am confident both schools will be able to answer them.

It might be wishful thinking, but maybe the SoCon will pull a CAA and get 5 teams in the playoffs....xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Fixed it for you. xthumbsupx

TheRock21
December 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Due to our success and the change in offense (Power I to Spread) we are recruiting some of the top talent in North Carolina and surrounding states. At this level you don't have to have every starter being a solid 3-4 star recruit. ASU, I believe, has reached the point where there are no "rebuilding years"...we will start reloading with the redshirts and incoming freshmen.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
It's still going to hurt to lose Richardson, Brown, Suttle (who's been a leader on the offensive line) Rauch, Lynch, Jackson, and Batichon.

We have great prospects, but it's still about heart and chemistry. Our coaching staff has been able to keep it rolling, but you could always lose a coach or two as well.

Enjoy #3 for now!

appstate38
December 16th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Of course by that you mean.... SoCon Champs 1991, Playoffs 89, 91,92

Beat Wake- 89, 91, Beat Marshall 92 (1st loss in their new stadium)

Yeah, mediocre at best!xrolleyesx

GreatAppSt
December 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM

xlolx

Touchdown Yosef
December 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
GSU beat a healthy Edwards led team at their place. Who else has done that in the last 3 years?

AE did play that game but I think anyone who watched would agree his arm was not what you would call healthy. He under threw far too may passes and simply put up some ducks. Many people were calling for Elder to play in that game after they saw his arm. As far as who has beat Edwards at home in the last three years, that as you know and is the answer you were looking for is only GSU. However AE just completed his sophomore season. 3 years ago a man by the name of Richie Williams was beating you.

As far as next year goes I honestly believe we will be a better team but will struggle at the beginning of the season. We lose a lot of senior leadership and it will take a few games to see who is going to step up into those leadership roles. Rauch, Lynch, Richardson, and Brown will be tough to replace. but it will be done. Our defense will be a mirror image of itself next year, ranking very well against the run but will struggle against the pass. Remember also that we will have that kid from Vanderbilt in there as well. Elon and The Citadel could give us trouble next year. I really believe that we will all have the pleasure seeing Armanti emerge as a more dominant passer next year and he will really start to remind people of Richie Williams even more. 2000 rush and 2000 pass yards is a distinct possibility for this young man. I cannot wait for next year, does anyone have a catchy slogan for 4?

Grabholdofyosef
December 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
you forgot to add the two 5lb bags of sugar he holds when being weighed : )

He is electric but just too small to play QB in NFL. I would say he has a chance to be a WR similar to antwaan randle el who is listed at 5'10" 192 and played QB in college for Indiana. They could move him all around the field and let him throw on some gadget plays occasionally.

BigApp
December 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM

xeyebrowx

BigApp
December 16th, 2007, 09:15 PM

that's some excellent mediocrity! xlolx

Saint3333
December 16th, 2007, 09:22 PM
ASU has recruited a different level of athlete than than did 4 years ago. ASU does lose experience, but the kids they have come in the program 2006 - the 2008 class start their college careers at a higher level than the graduating seniors (minus Lynch and Brown).

B&G
December 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
AE did play that game but I think anyone who watched would agree his arm was not what you would call healthy. He under threw far too may passes and simply put up some ducks. Many people were calling for Elder to play in that game after they saw his arm. As far as who has beat Edwards at home in the last three years, that as you know and is the answer you were looking for is only GSU. However AE just completed his sophomore season. 3 years ago a man by the name of Richie Williams was beating you.

As far as next year goes I honestly believe we will be a better team but will struggle at the beginning of the season. We lose a lot of senior leadership and it will take a few games to see who is going to step up into those leadership roles. Rauch, Lynch, Richardson, and Brown will be tough to replace. but it will be done. Our defense will be a mirror image of itself next year, ranking very well against the run but will struggle against the pass. Remember also that we will have that kid from Vanderbilt in there as well. Elon and The Citadel could give us trouble next year. I really believe that we will all have the pleasure seeing Armanti emerge as a more dominant passer next year and he will really start to remind people of Richie Williams even more. 2000 rush and 2000 pass yards is a distinct possibility for this young man. I cannot wait for next year, does anyone have a catchy slogan for 4?

How about Four-play? Or Four-nication?

ASUPATCH
December 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
We lose 3 olineman. Brown is the big loss of there but we have 3 lineman on the roster already that have started multiple games. Brett Irvin (who started at C against Michigan) will take over for Suttle and IMO will be better. Pat Mills got some starts with the injuries and I believe Coley who was filing in for Acitelli who was an all socon his freshman year is a real gem. AS of now I hae mentally penciled in the oline as. LT Acitelli LG Coley C Irvin RG Mills RT Bieshci all have alot of experience. Losing KRich as a person will hurt more thn lsing him as a player. Moore is just as fast and a bit bigger. KRich was greatly a product of our oline and play calling. WR's never seem to be an issue as we rotate them almost every down so we lost 2 (Dex and Hans) of our 6 starting receivers. Back up QB could be an issue with Elders graduation as we know Armanti takes a lot of hits. Wonder if they are going to move Coco Hillary to strictly ack up QB or if they are bringing a new kid in. Our DL and LBS will be vastly improved as we lose no starters and they will all be a year older and stronger. On a side note I think DJ Smith will be our next defensive NFL draft pick. To me our season wll come down to the DB's. Which to me is where I like having my weakness. Cause a good pass rush can help mask it. We lose all 4 starters and only 2 have game experience in Gilbert and Love. We have signed a 2 star DB from Charlotte already and maybe he will have an immediate impact. But beyond that we are thin and inexperienced back there. That my break down of the 09 'neers.

Appdad
December 16th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Brown and Lynch are the major losses.

How many games has Lynch come up with the key play to save the day? That type of "nose for the ball" is quite uncommon.

The OL will miss Brown's strength and quickness. His real praise comes from opposing coaches as they try to scheme away from him. His strength and size were most visible versus the FBS teams as he physically dominated his opponents.

Success next year will be determined on developing a key play guy to replace Lynch and how fast the new OL jells. Then OL would benefit if Kilgore returns rather than staying at TE.

seantaylor
December 17th, 2007, 01:28 AM
GSU is going to kill Appy at Paulson. Mark it down. When VG isn't there, you have no chance to win in the Boro.

KiddBrewer
December 17th, 2007, 01:44 AM
catchy phrases for next season:

"score four"
"1 moore= 4"
"3 is neat, 4 is moore"-stolen from somebody
"Dynasty"
"This is getting boring"
"Here we come GSU"

i dont know, i cant come up with anything good.....ha 5-peat slogans are so much easier i.e. "one for the thumb"

KiddBrewer
December 17th, 2007, 01:46 AM
GSU is going to kill Appy at Paulson. Mark it down. When VG isn't there, you have no chance to win in the Boro.

bold strategy cotton, let's see how that one works out.

as long as the NC isnt held in Statesboro next year, and thats the only lose we have, ha im fine with it....georgia southern needs a little pick-me-up nowadays.xthumbsupx

btw, im just talkin junk. dont take me serious its 2:45 in the morning.xrotatehx xpeacex

KiddBrewer
December 17th, 2007, 01:51 AM
We lose 3 olineman. Brown is the big loss of there but we have 3 lineman on the roster already that have started multiple games. Brett Irvin (who started at C against Michigan) will take over for Suttle and IMO will be better. Pat Mills got some starts with the injuries and I believe Coley who was filing in for Acitelli who was an all socon his freshman year is a real gem. AS of now I hae mentally penciled in the oline as. LT Acitelli LG Coley C Irvin RG Mills RT Bieshci all have alot of experience. Losing KRich as a person will hurt more thn lsing him as a player. Moore is just as fast and a bit bigger. KRich was greatly a product of our oline and play calling. WR's never seem to be an issue as we rotate them almost every down so we lost 2 (Dex and Hans) of our 6 starting receivers. Back up QB could be an issue with Elders graduation as we know Armanti takes a lot of hits. Wonder if they are going to move Coco Hillary to strictly ack up QB or if they are bringing a new kid in. Our DL and LBS will be vastly improved as we lose no starters and they will all be a year older and stronger. On a side note I think DJ Smith will be our next defensive NFL draft pick. To me our season wll come down to the DB's. Which to me is where I like having my weakness. Cause a good pass rush can help mask it. We lose all 4 starters and only 2 have game experience in Gilbert and Love. We have signed a 2 star DB from Charlotte already and maybe he will have an immediate impact. But beyond that we are thin and inexperienced back there. That my break down of the 09 'neers.

good post, i agree with bout all of it. ill say the o-line rather than db's is the biggest question, but with the backups we had this year, i think they will step in nicely. we have highly skilled athletes who can play in the secondary. they may be a little shaky at first (much like woazeah and touchstone were at first), but hopefully they can figure it out as the season goes on. i think the lb's will be the core to our team next year, as i think they will be quite impressive. kicking game loses rauch, who is big, but i would think they have a solution to that lose. devon moore is going to fill in nicely i believe. the receivers are going to be okay, i think they will keep coco at reciever and work him at qb in case he has to come in. we will surely have another qb coming in as a freshman too who they will give snaps in practice too. there is my much abbreviated take on next year.

hApPYaPpYFan
December 17th, 2007, 06:52 AM

That would be DJ Smith I believe, from Charlotte, NC.

lizrdgizrd
December 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
The Jayson Foster-less GSU? Ok, we'll see how that works for you. xsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp
December 17th, 2007, 09:44 AM
xeyebrowx

I guess..."relative mediocrity" ;) damn I'd forgotten a lot....who was QB in 93, 94? I might have attributed Campbell to those years.

james_lawfirm
December 17th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Sean:
Your confidence is certainly interesting. However, I don't think the App team will agree. It will be a ball game - and probably a very good one. Now, how long until the next kickoff?

Black and Gold Express
December 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM
2008 is a year I hope we have no I-A game. I fully believe that if we can get to the midway part of the season at 5-1, we'll be in really great shape for another deep postseason run.

There are players you don't fully ever replace (Brown and Lynch), but combine the facts that we return 20 of the 22 primary backups (who all saw a lot of action) and our recruiting is light years ahead of where it used to be, if we can get the 2008 unit to gel, there's little reason to think a return trip to Chattanooga is not a big leap. Because frankly I don't see too many teams that are ready to jump up all that much. The gap will be narrowed, but we're still one of the best 2-3 teams in the nation as it stands.

I think the JMU game will be a great barometer for our team, because I think JMU IS one of the teams ready to make a jump up to elite status in 2008.

appstate38
December 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I guess..."relative mediocrity" ;) damn I'd forgotten a lot....who was QB in 93, 94? I might have attributed Campbell to those years.

I believe the only losing season the Apps have had under Moore was the 93 season. I believe Andy Arnold was the QB in '93, not sure about '94 although I think it was a certain QB coach for the Apps, a one Scott Satterfield. In '93 we finished 4-7; in '94 9-4 (2nd in SoCon, Lost 2nd rd. of playoffs)

'93 must have been a bad year for you.xconfusedx

AppStFan1989
December 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM
One Appalachian State player was looking forward to next season even before this past championship season was over.

Quavian Lewis, a 6-4, 220-pound defensive end from Troy, Ala., transferred to Appalachian from Vanderbilt but wound up sitting out the 2007 season.

W-S Journal Article: Transfer from Vanderbilt could be a star for ASU (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353890558&path=!sports!collegeteampages!appalachian!&s=1037645509234)

GaSouthern
December 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
The Jayson Foster-less GSU? Ok, we'll see how that works for you. xsmiley_wix

Please dont remind me.

We have the potential to SUCK next year while we install the 4th offense in 4 years.

ASU_Grad
December 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Not to worry the rest of FCS, but my friend John (played 3rd string 04,05,06) at App was in the coach's office today. They were telling him that they will be better next year. The talent of the young players and the talent they are looking at from recruiting is higher than we've ever had.

I'm not too sure about that, but it seems that App State may be just as good as it has been.

back2back
December 17th, 2007, 03:10 PM
One Appalachian State player was looking forward to next season even before this past championship season was over.

Quavian Lewis, a 6-4, 220-pound defensive end from Troy, Ala., transferred to Appalachian from Vanderbilt but wound up sitting out the 2007 season.

W-S Journal Article: Transfer from Vanderbilt could be a star for ASU (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353890558&path=!sports!collegeteampages!appalachian!&s=1037645509234)

How did this kid look in practice this year?

AshevilleApp
December 17th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I believe the only losing season the Apps have had under Moore was the 93 season. I believe Andy Arnold was the QB in '93, not sure about '94 although I think it was a certain QB coach for the Apps, a one Scott Satterfield. In '93 we finished 4-7; in '94 9-4 (2nd in SoCon, Lost 2nd rd. of playoffs)

'93 must have been a bad year for you.xconfusedx

Ahh yes my junior year in college.......not so fond memories.....

Black and Gold Express
December 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Please dont remind me.

We have the potential to SUCK next year while we install the 4th offense in 4 years.

You seem to have an okay quarterback, that lefty kid that played a lot against us. And I am sure GSU will find some good running backs somewhere...

AlphaSigMD
December 17th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Where we suffer:

Loss of Secondary - The biggest hit. Love and Gilbert will be able to come in, but 2 guys will be completely green, unless that player who went on mission comes back next year (i don't remember his name).

Loss of O-line. We've lost guys before on the O-Line, but Kerry Brown will hurt us. He'll likely go to the NFL. Good for us, its not a skill position, and we can develop our talent at those positions easier with with the addition of size and speed. We will likely get less yards next season, but look for our running game to utilize the outside more than the middle.

Loss of K-Rich - No offense to devon moore, but K-rich is very difficult to replace. He's not getting enough credit for what he's done at ASU, and is not a product of the system. He's a product of his own hard work.

Loss of Hans and Dex - Its rough. Hans has turned into our go-to guy. Dexter is faster than any guy in the SoCon, and gives us a mismatch against any defensive back. Can CoCo, TJ and Bryan Quick pick up where they left off. I would be surprised if we didn't get atleast 1 stud WR in next years class.

I think we will be a great team, and I think that this years recruiting class should be a monster. The win at Michigan gives us national exposure to people who may not have considered us before, 3 straight National Titles gives us an amount of legitimacy previously unattained at this level, Armanti as a potential Heisman candidate shows that players at this level do get national attention and street cred and everyone wants to play for a winner. Combine that with the electric football atmosphere at ASU, the potential to be worshiped at the college level the same way you were as the hometown high school football hero, and throw in the possibility to have a little late night full contact (no pads) with Miss SC, and you have a LOT to offer! xthumbsupx

Saint3333
December 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I'm still enjoying the 3-peat, but I'm encouraged about some early signings:

ASU has signed a two star safety who was getting looks from UNC-CH & Va Tech, that will start school in January and go through spring ball.

They also just signed two Jr. College defensive lineman from Georgia Military, one is a three star 270 lb. DT that Oklahoma St. was recruiting. These two guys plus the Vandy transfer (Lewis) that sat out a year will make ASU 2007 weakness their strength. Lewis, Washington, Williams, and Tharrington will be a force.

seantaylor
December 17th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Where we suffer:

Loss of Secondary - The biggest hit. Love and Gilbert will be able to come in, but 2 guys will be completely green, unless that player who went on mission comes back next year (i don't remember his name).

Loss of O-line. We've lost guys before on the O-Line, but Kerry Brown will hurt us. He'll likely go to the NFL. Good for us, its not a skill position, and we can develop our talent at those positions easier with with the addition of size and speed. We will likely get less yards next season, but look for our running game to utilize the outside more than the middle.

Loss of K-Rich - No offense to devon moore, but K-rich is very difficult to replace. He's not getting enough credit for what he's done at ASU, and is not a product of the system. He's a product of his own hard work.

Loss of Hans and Dex - Its rough. Hans has turned into our go-to guy. Dexter is faster than any guy in the SoCon, and gives us a mismatch against any defensive back. Can CoCo, TJ and Bryan Quick pick up where they left off. I would be surprised if we didn't get atleast 1 stud WR in next years class.

I think we will be a great team, and I think that this years recruiting class should be a monster. The win at Michigan gives us national exposure to people who may not have considered us before, 3 straight National Titles gives us an amount of legitimacy previously unattained at this level, Armanti as a potential Heisman candidate shows that players at this level do get national attention and street cred and everyone wants to play for a winner. Combine that with the electric football atmosphere at ASU, the potential to be worshiped at the college level the same way you were as the hometown high school football hero, and throw in the possibility to have a little late night full contact (no pads) with Miss SC, and you have a LOT to offer! xthumbsupx

Negative. No one in the Socon has Foster's speed.

appman111
December 17th, 2007, 11:35 PM

We'll have to disagree on that one. Dex is the fastest player on the fastest team in the country and the reigning SoCon 100m champ.

back2back
December 18th, 2007, 07:50 AM
catchy phrases for next season:

"score four"
"1 moore= 4"
"3 is neat, 4 is moore"-stolen from somebody
"Dynasty"
"This is getting boring"
"Here we come GSU"

i dont know, i cant come up with anything good.....ha 5-peat slogans are so much easier i.e. "one for the thumb"

FOUR FOR MOORE

Mountaineer#96
December 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM
O-line and the secondary..........

In the secondary Corey Lynch and Jerome Touchstone were both four year starters, they will be hard to replace. Watching the game on Friday I thought Cortez Gilbert may be an upgrade for us at left corner so we should be looking pretty solid there. Billy Riddle will not be coming back from his mission work for his final year. We need either a nice transfer or a real solid recruit and it looks like we already locked in a 2 star high school guy there. Who ever lines up back there Coach Wiley will have them ready to roll.

On the OL, Kerry Brown will be hard to replace just b/c of his size. He really never had the greatest technique but you can't teach SIZE. I am sure there will be some shifting around done by Coach Elliot with his younger players to fill the holes. The center Scott Suttle will be replaced by the guy who started against Michigan who was a redshirt freshman last year. He did a decent job on Sept. 1st in his first start so he should step in and fill the hole nicely.

The reciever corp will reload as usual.

Linebackers and DL will stay intact. Even adding a few more athletes to the group, with the transfer from Vandy and a two JuCo guys has been reported.

Devon Moore should take over the RB duties very nicely maybe even add a better between the tackles runner.

I think we look pretty darn good for next year just as I did going into this season.

Kiss My Apps
December 18th, 2007, 08:24 AM

In the secondary Corey Lynch and Jerome Touchstone were both four year starters, they will be hard to replace. Watching the game on Friday I thought Cortez Gilbert may be an upgrade for us at left corner so we should be looking pretty solid there. Billy Riddle will not be coming back from his mission work for his final year. We need either a nice transfer or a real solid recruit and it looks like we already locked in a 2 star high school guy there. Who ever lines up back there Coach Wiley will have them ready to roll.

Look for Gilbert, Jared Rheine, and Leonard Love to lock down three of the four secondary spots.

DLS
December 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM

jackson holds the title in the soconn for 200m plus he runs the 40 in 4.3sec.

who's foster again?

Appaholic
December 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Double negative......Dexter would blow him away on pure speed....but Foster cuts quicker and is harder to tackle....

Appdad
December 18th, 2007, 09:04 AM

On the OL, Kerry Brown will be hard to replace just b/c of his size. He really never had the greatest technique but you can't teach SIZE. I am sure there will be some shifting around done by Coach Elliot with his younger players to fill the holes.

He was the poorest 4 year starter, 2 year no lower than first team All American, 2 year Jacobs Blocking Award player ever to wear an Appalachian Jersey! :)

AlphaSigMD
December 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM

JF is very fast and elusive on the football field.

He doesn't beat Dexter in a sprint though. DJ beat the SoCon's best trained track and field sprinters without having trained for the season. Not trying to take away anything from Jayson, but that's just flat out impressive.

Appdad
December 18th, 2007, 09:24 AM
He was the poorest 4 year starter, 2 year no lower than first team All American, 2 year Jacobs Blocking Award player ever to wear an Appalachian Jersey! :)

I think Kilgore would be a good replacement for him at Guard if they move him back from TE.

ASU's guards do a tremendous amount of running as they are constantly pulling and/or coming from the weak side for down field blocking.

I think 60, 61 and 72 could be a three tackle rotation of some sort or Coley could fill the other guard spot.

In any case it will be a few games before they begin to operate smoothly. Suttle and Brown started 4 years and Holt alternated at Guard every other series and/or filled in at tackle for 3 years before replacing Robertson at RG. That kind of experience is hard to duplicate right out of the box.

Appinator
December 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I think the biggest obstacle will not be the loss of talent, but the schedule. As we saw with some good teams throughout the year, a soft schedule can leave a team unprepared for the playoffs.

Devon Moore will fill in nicely if he gets inoculated for his case of fumblitis, Love (Int in the Michigan game) and Gilbert will be solid in the secondary. Our d-line not only will get better with experience gained, Lewis will now be eligible, creating the closest thing we could get to a "Murrell/Hunter" combo.

Dare I say that we will be even better next year at WR? Dexter was fast, but had a tough time during the middle of the year with holding on to the ball. Brian Quick (6'5!!!) red shirted last year and will join CoCo, Josh Johnson, Hill (I think we should make him change his number and retire #7), and TJ Courman. I don't think there is as good a receiving core in the nation.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant here, but I really don't think any FBS team will play us. We are going to be stuck with another mid summer announcement that will leave us with something to talk about all winter and spring long.:D

spoogemcgee18
December 18th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I thought we had LSU lined up for the opener? Did they drop us AGAIN!?

Appinator
December 18th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I thought we had LSU lined up for the opener? Did they drop us AGAIN!?

I believe that they moved it back to '10 the first time. I have heard rumors about us vs. Florida in '09 (Senior match between Tebow and Armanti!?!?!) and UGA in '11, along with whispers of VT later on. However, I wouldn't count on it until it's down on paper for all of our eyes to see

'neers80
December 18th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hill (I think we should make him change his number and retire #7)

we should retire #28 as well

ASUdrummer
December 18th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I'm fairly certain that the Florida, UGA, and VT games are on paper. I remember them asking Urban Meyer if he was going to honor the contract and still play us after the Michigan game. He definitely didn't say no.

Appinator
December 18th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I'm fairly certain that the Florida, UGA, and VT games are on paper. I remember them asking Urban Meyer if he was going to honor the contract and still play us after the Michigan game. He definitely didn't say no.

I double checked the official team sites and here is what I've found:

-VT has us down to play on Sept. 3rd in 2011
-LSU has us down to play on Sept. 5th in 2009
-Both Florida and UGA have schedules up only for next year, which leaves '08 and '10 open

Mountaineer#96
December 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM

I am not knocking him for his talents which as you addressed are very steller. The knock according to scouts and coaches is: He plays high and attempts to over power DLinemen, something that at our level of FCS is able to be done easily given his size and frame. In the NFL he will not be able to do this so a more polished technique would be needed from him. This is all about football, but his attitude off the field could present a future problem.

If he is your son which given your location he could be, then I am sure you have heard this all before.:)

ASUG8
December 18th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Is Jayson Foster making a guest appearance?

Appdad
December 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I am not knocking him for his talents which as you addressed are very steller. The knock according to scouts and coaches is: He plays high and attempts to over power DLinemen, something that at our level of FCS is able to be done easily given his size and frame. In the NFL he will not be able to do this so a more polished technique would be needed from him. This is all about football, but his attitude off the field could present a future problem.

If he is your son which given your location he could be, then I am sure you have heard this all before.:)

My remarks were concerning your implication that he is only a big guy and that is all he offered ASU. I see a lot of bigger guys on the sidelines not even playing or playing poorly in our division. Our line looks to me as more athletic up and down than most of the competition. It had nothing to do with competition on the the professional level.

My concerns for next year on the OL is continuity in replacing 3 long term starters. That is a lot of players to replace at once and may cause errors early as they jell. Given that I am sure the athletes in the OL will perform superbly later in the regular season and into the playoffs.

I was not aware of any attitude problems off the field other than the two players that broke team rules. Inquiring minds want to know!:)

APP91
December 18th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Attitude, are you Serious. This kid has a great attitude. He is a competitor

Touchdown Yosef
December 19th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I double checked the official team sites and here is what I've found:

-VT has us down to play on Sept. 3rd in 2011
-LSU has us down to play on Sept. 5th in 2009
-Both Florida and UGA have schedules up only for next year, which leaves '08 and '10 open

At the NC I tailgated with some fans who had great seats and plenty of them and were pretty big yosef club members. They told me that Florida and LSU have talked w/ Charlie Cobb about writing us a check not to play them. I know about the Urban Meyer quote and I know we are on the schedule but they evidently are afraid of "ruining any shot at a national championship." I don't know how much truth there is to this but it really wouldn't surprise me.

ab4app
December 19th, 2007, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=seantaylor;803928]GSU is going to kill Appy at Paulson. Mark it down. When VG isn't there, you have no chance to win in the Boro.[/QUOTE

easy does it there slugger, thats an invitation to a crow dinner for one next fall

ASU_Grad
December 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I was not aware of any attitude problems off the field other than the two players that broke team rules. Inquiring minds want to know!:)

I'm good friends with the son of the chief of Boone police. If it wasn't for football, the vast majority of ASU players would be in jail. I am also friends with one of the former players from the team and he mentioned that at many parties Kerry Brown had to be physically restrained from doing something stupid.

The discipline of a great many players on the ASU team is bad. Thankfully, Armanti appears to not be a part of that crowd of players who end up doing stupid stuff. Tharrington is also a player that could get in trouble during the long break before football begins again in September.

It's not who we are losing. Those positions can be filled, it is who we will lose due to stupid decisions from now until September.

The Moody1
December 19th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I'm good friends with the son of the chief of Boone police. If it wasn't for football, the vast majority of ASU players would be in jail. I am also friends with one of the former players from the team and he mentioned that at many parties Kerry Brown had to be physically restrained from doing something stupid.

The discipline of a great many players on the ASU team is bad. Thankfully, Armanti appears to not be a part of that crowd of players who end up doing stupid stuff. Tharrington is also a player that could get in trouble during the long break before football begins again in September.

It's not who we are losing. Those positions can be filled, it is who we will lose due to stupid decisions from now until September.

Are you from Delaware? xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

How many players have we lost over the last few years because of "stupid decisions" in the off season. Since you only seem to have second hand information maybe you should STFU.

ASU_Grad
December 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Alan Atwater? Name ring a bell.

Almost the entire team got in a fistfight one spring at Klondike's. Thankfully, no one got charged.

Although, Alan Atwater getting thrown off the team was a good thing, because it got Kevin playing time.

I've put in my dues at App State. And I'm not knocking the team. Coach Moore does an excellent job, and not the entire team has discipline issues, but our guys are a little lacking in that area. If you choose to deny it, go ahead.

Just because we win, doesn't mean that they are all first-class individuals.

The Moody1
December 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Almost the entire team got in a fistfight one spring at Klondike's. Thankfully, no one got charged.

Although, Alan Atwater getting thrown off the team was a good thing, because it got Kevin playing time.

I've put in my dues at App State. And I'm not knocking the team. Coach Moore does an excellent job, and not the entire team has discipline issues, but our guys are a little lacking in that area. If you choose to deny it, go ahead.

IMO- Posting your second hand information and calling out and naming individual players on a message board is what is classless.

ab4app
December 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
dont post that stuff, every team has crazy guys. The vast majority of our players would not be in jail w/o football, maybe a couple would but seriously. You cant go by what people say either, if I have ever learned anything it is never to assume anything, especially something with that strong of an accusation. I know several of the guys on the team and they are really really good guys. Sorry to come back at ya but you just have to be careful what you say. People make mistakes, some people dont have the luxury to hide their mistakes, we shouldnt generalize like that about any body, much less our own guys.

appfan2008
December 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM

shutup!

how many have we lost over the last few years in the break between the end of the season and september... to answer the question it is zero... dont come on here ever and make acqusations without first hand knowledge i.e. you saw something or real proof to back it up and dont ever use players names like that when they have done nothing wrong... this is not an opinion site or a site to bash players who dont deserve it... please take that somewhere else

appfan2008
December 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM

do you love throwing student athletes names out there???

what an ass you are showing yourself to be... PLEASE dont bring this second hand crap to this site... and you are crazy if you want to smack your own school like this

AppStWill
December 19th, 2007, 10:18 AM
This thread needs to be squashed.....totally off topic now.

Touchdown Yosef
December 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM

This really has no place on this board. I was working the night this happened and it involved plenty more people than just the football team and no one there deserved to called out or blamed for anything at this point. Also referring to it as the football team is an incorrect assumption, more of a group of friends. There have been plenty of fights involving plenty of organizations on campuses everywhere, none of which warrant indicting the entire organization. The only complaints I still have about that night are with the Boone PD.

I think there are plenty of people that spend 4 years at college and leave with some sort of infraction. I am sure football players are no different but I have heard or seen nothing that leads me to believe that they would be in JAIL w/out football. Come on, its not like they are running dog fighting rings.

ab4app
December 19th, 2007, 11:23 AM
we do not have a discipline problem, I can name a few schools that do, but I assure you we are not one of them, this is ridiculous, what a bunch of crap and unfounded speculation, this would even be horrible if it were about another team. Give me a break, time to get serioius.

Mountaineer#96
December 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I am with App Grad on this although you call his information on a FORMER student athlete second hand, he is correct if it is second hand or not. I can concur with that as a FIRST hand source on that matter.

Mountaineer#96
December 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM

You guys can give him neg. rep all day but this guy choose to speak his mind about a brewing problem with our team that goes back YEARS folks. They bring it on the field yes, three straight national titles show that. Off the field is what he is talking about. I played at ASU I know what goes on behind the scenes, this sorta stuff happens at almost all schools. You can't just shoot the messenger here b/c you guys don't like the message. You can give me neg if you want to as well, I don't care at least I am informed on this problem. xmadx

The Moody1
December 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I am with App Grad on this although you call his information on a FORMER student athlete second hand, he is correct if it is second hand or not. I can concur with that as a FIRST hand source on that matter.

I was not referring to the Alan Atwater info as being second hand. That was public knowledge several years ago. It is the other players he called out with second hand info that I have a problem with. Whether the info is true or not this isn't the place speculate.

Mountaineer#96
December 19th, 2007, 03:48 PM
do you love throwing student athletes names out there???

what an ass you are showing yourself to be... PLEASE dont bring this second hand crap to this site... and you are crazy if you want to smack your own school like this

trust me as someone who knows who you are defending enough that I do not want to be in the same zip code as him ever again, he never was a STUDENT athlete. That is very well why he was thrown off the team. Since I do not know exactly why I will not say. He has been long gone for years anyways my friend so save your defense.

appstate38
December 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM
All football teams will have their share of discipline problems.... While I was playing at App, Coach had to suspend 2 starters for an entire season. It happens and it probably was the thing that helped turn those guys lives and careers around. I agree that speculation especially on here is a bit much.

Mountaineer#96
December 19th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I was not referring to the Alan Atwater info as being second hand. That was public knowledge several years ago. It is the other players he called out with second hand info that I have a problem with. Whether the info is true or not this isn't the place speculate.

Agreed, but to say there is not a problem would be just plain WRONG. As a recent graduate and player I can say there are a FEW individuals who need attitude adjustments. Although naming those people likely should not be done. As a whole our team is sound in all aspects.

The Moody1
December 19th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Agreed, but to say there is not a problem would be just plain WRONG. As a recent graduate and player I can say there are a FEW individuals who need attitude adjustments. Although naming those people likely should not be done. As a whole our team is sound in all aspects.

Gotcha. You could probably randomly pick 60 students from any college in America and there will be a few that need an attitude adjustment. :D

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2007, 03:59 PM
There are always guys who need help growing up. This is college and we shouldn't expect football players to be any more mature than their fellow students. They have the benefit of the staff to help get them on the straight and narrow. Let's leave it up to the coaching staff to do that part of their job too.

appman111
December 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Our football team is no different than any other. Most aren't perfect people off the field. Its not noteworthy, however, and its totally out of line to say that the "majority would be in jail".

Grabholdofyosef
December 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM
On a somewhat related topic, what was the word on why woazeah was suspended? I read moore would address it at the presser after the game, but I never heard anything official.

ERASU2113
December 19th, 2007, 08:02 PM
He never mentioned it. It kind of fell by the wayside. No one talked about the situation at the press conference.

The Moody1
December 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
On a somewhat related topic, what was the word on why woazeah was suspended? I read moore would address it at the presser after the game, but I never heard anything official.

It was reported that he was suspended because he had to be in court on the
Thursday before the game due to an altercation he was involved in last March.

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 08:59 AM
It was reported that he was suspended because he had to be in court on the
Thursday before the game due to an altercation he was involved in last March.
Linky, linky, who's got a linky? xeyebrowx

The Moody1
December 20th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Linky, linky, who's got a linky? xeyebrowx

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/2007/1210/asureadyforbiggame.php

Read the last paragraph.

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.wataugademocrat.com/2007/1210/asureadyforbiggame.php

Read the last paragraph.
Thanks! xthumbsupx