PDA

View Full Version : PA Announcements At Your Stadium?

DotCat
September 15th, 2005, 12:49 AM
At Western Carolina it always bothers me when our PA announcer give score updates during the game. It's not that he's giving scores that bothers me, but the fact that he's giving I-A scores. While yes, he does give the scores from the SoCon, he then goes and gives scores from the ACC or SEC and then the Top-25 of DI-A. I personally would prefer if he would announce scores form I-AA Top-25. When he give those I-A scores, I feel that our university is selling something we hold dear to our heart short, and that's I-AA FOOTBALL.

I was just wondering what kind of PA announcements are given at other I-AA venues throughout the country?

bkrownd
September 15th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Even at a I-AA game people are much more likely to be interested in the major regional and flagship I-A scores. Most people don't have the divisional hangups that are typical on this forum.

RadMann
September 15th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Usually the PA announcer at UD games gives other A-10 scores if any scores are given. An occasional I-A score might be noted as well.

rokamortis
September 15th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Seems that Coastal will announce teh Big South and SoCon scores along with the next opponent. They will also announce the big I-A games and regional I-A games.

TypicalTribe
September 15th, 2005, 07:28 AM
What "divisional hangups" are you referring to? I-A and I-AA are in the same division. Regional I-A scores are one thing, top 25 I-A scores to a I-AA audience is another. Give 'em top 25 I-AA scores.

I don't think there are too many people sitting at W&M games thinking, "I wonder how Southern Illinois is doing today?"

I think it's pretty normal to give conference scores, regional I-A scores and possibly the scores of big ranked I-A matchups, like Michigan/Notre Dame. Frankly, that's what most people are interested in.

For the rest of us I-AA junkies with cell phones, dial 1-800-555-TELL and take it from there.

JaxSinfonian
September 15th, 2005, 07:31 AM
I can remember hearing Southland scores in the past. This year I've been bothered, though. I've only heard the crew announce "big" I-A games, i.e. the SEC and top 25. At least tell me what's going on in the OVC!

Black and Gold Express
September 15th, 2005, 07:44 AM
What "divisional hangups" are you referring to? I-A and I-AA are in the same division.

No Ralph, they're not... However you want to spin the whole "D-I" issue, the fact is that I-A teams don't compete for the I-AA championship, and I-AA teams don't contend for the I-A/BCS title. That clearly marks different divisions, no matter how you try to word it.

89Hen
September 15th, 2005, 07:52 AM
I don't think there are too many people sitting at W&M games thinking, "I wonder how Southern Illinois is doing today?"
Agreed. While we'd like to believe the average I-AA fans knows everything about I-AA, that's just not true. That's not to say that we shouldn't try to educate them, but I can't imagine most of the crowd at UD knowing what impact a NDSU score over NWSt has on the I-AA landscape. McNeese over GSU, yes, but that's because they are a familiar opponent. As a I-AA junkie, I would love to get the I-AA scores, especially since the Sprint network was down and I couldn't get any scores on my cell last week. :mad:

Hansel
September 15th, 2005, 07:56 AM
NDSU announces regional scores, GWFC scores, and top 25 IAA scores (if i remember correctly)

TheValleyRaider
September 15th, 2005, 08:28 AM
I've heard other PL scores, some Ivy scores, Syracuse's score, and the occasional big I-A game (Mich/ND), or big I-A upsets in progress (but those very rarely.

DaGriz
September 15th, 2005, 08:37 AM
We get Big Sky scores, a few big I-A game scores and as it gets later in the year, typical playoff teams scores. i.e. Georgia Southern, WKU, McNeese...

GannonFan
September 15th, 2005, 08:51 AM
We always complain that there aren't enough scoring updates during the games at UD - personally, the more the better I say. I would have no problem with conference scores, regional scores, top 25 IAA scores, and the important IA scores (for instance, I don't think UD had any mention of the Texas/Ohio St score at last Saturday night's game - I'm a football fan first and foremost, I don't care that it's IA and I'm watching a IAA game, I still want the score).

ngineer
September 15th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Lehigh gives all the PL scores as well as a good number of I-AA scores (at least the top 10) plus regional I-A, I-AA and big I-A games.

Retro
September 15th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Mcneese's announcer is usually pretty good about giving scores of the top I-AA teams and SLC scores for sure. They also give SEC and some of the bigger I-A games that day.. I'm going to mention it to them to try and give more of the Top I-AA games though, if nothing to at least educate the casual fans about more of the I-AA teams not in the SLC.

When we're in need of a good laugh, they give us the score of the UL-Monroe and the UL-Lafayette games as well!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 15th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Lehigh gives all the PL scores as well as a good number of I-AA scores (at least the top 10) plus regional I-A, I-AA and big I-A games.

Lehigh does a good job announcing scores. During the Monmouth game they gave NEC and MAAC scores a couple times. They also did the same last year for the opposing teams in OOC games. I think that's pretty cool. The local 1-A's they always seem to cover is Penn St. of course and usually Rutgers, i've even heard Temple a couple times, usually losing, by a lot of course :mad: .

SoCon48
September 15th, 2005, 08:31 PM
College football atmosphere is not complete for the past 100 years unless you hear the Notre Dame or 'Bama score.

bisonguy
September 15th, 2005, 08:34 PM
NDSU announces regional scores, GWFC scores, and top 25 IAA scores (if i remember correctly)

Only other regional DI scores this year (Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa?)

colgate13
September 15th, 2005, 09:31 PM
As a I-AA junkie, I would love to get the I-AA scores, especially since the Sprint network was down and I couldn't get any scores on my cell last week. :mad:

What was already said about Colgate is right on...

On a side note, I have all the PL league games set up as text message alerts. And I also use "Tell Me" to get top I-AA scores. If you've never heard of tell me, it is a FREE phone service where you can get live scores from any sporting event. At first you have to listen through stuff, but if you know the voice menus you can get right to what you want without listening to ads.

The number is 1-800-555-TELL (8355). When the "Tell Me" jingle starts, say "Sports". When "Sports" starts, say "College Football". When "Here are the latest..." say the name of the team you are looking for. All I-A and I-AA teams are there. It's an awesome thing!

It's also good for weather!

Mr. C
September 15th, 2005, 10:00 PM
At Western Carolina it always bothers me when our PA announcer give score updates during the game. It's not that he's giving scores that bothers me, but the fact that he's giving I-A scores. While yes, he does give the scores from the SoCon, he then goes and gives scores from the ACC or SEC and then the Top-25 of DI-A. I personally would prefer if he would announce scores form I-AA Top-25. When he give those I-A scores, I feel that our university is selling something we hold dear to our heart short, and that's I-AA FOOTBALL.

I was just wondering what kind of PA announcements are given at other I-AA venues throughout the country?
Funny, but sitting in the press box at E.J. Whitmire Stadium on Saturday night, I found myself wondering the same thing. They seldom give updates on any of the I-AA games and for that matter, they don't give the writers many updates on the sports ticker printout service they use either. I don't mind some I-A scores, but give us the I-AA stuff first and please update the I-AA top 25 along with the I-A top 25.

IaaScribe
September 15th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I know at Northern Arizona the P.A. guy makes a point to give out Big Sky scores first, then Pac-10 scores, then I-A top 25. No I-AA top 25 if it doesn't involve Big Sky teams.

griz37
September 15th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Lets face it while we all love I-AA most of us have a favorite team in the BCS conferences that we follow. I hate sitting at the Griz games wondering how Michigan is doing, then hustling back to the car after the game to turn on ESPN radio to hear a score. As somebody mentioned earlier the common Griz fan knows very little of the rest of I-AA teams so I don't see a big deal in announcing scores from BCS games. Just my 2 cents.

DotCat
September 16th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Funny, but sitting in the press box at E.J. Whitmire Stadium on Saturday night, I found myself wondering the same thing. They seldom give updates on any of the I-AA games and for that matter, they don't give the writers many updates on the sports ticker printout service they use either.
Speaking of the updates fo the writers, the dang fax machine ran out of toner, with no spare. My man Cawood dropped the ball on that one. I was giving out scores off my cell phone after the game was over.

McTailGator
September 16th, 2005, 07:49 AM

The McNeese PA guy always gives scores from around the State of Louisiana where there are as many as 11 Division I football games being played on a single night.

Then he will give scores from McNeese's next opponent and then around the SLC.

But he typically avoids giving the Top 10 I-AA scores until around October. Before that rankings are really kind of worthless. But he will give anounce those scores the deeper we get into the season.

McTailGator
September 16th, 2005, 07:53 AM
especially since the Sprint network was down

And I was thinking Sprint was just giving us trouble here on the Gulf Coast due tot he Storm.

I'm ready for a new PCS provider.

Black and Gold Express
September 16th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Yes B&G, they are. No matter how YOU try to spin it D-I is D-I, not D-II or D-III. That is the NCAA and that is how THEY denote it, not me. Most of I-A does not compete for the BCS bowl games anyway (there has only been one team outside of the original six BCS leagues that has ever participated in a BCS bowl game). BTW, is App St I-A yet? Looks to me like you're chomping at the bit to denigrate I-AA. :rolleyes:

I'm not chomping at any bit. But answer me this, which you forgot to last time. Are I-AA schools elligible for the I-A postseason? And Are I-A schools elligible for the I-AA postseason?

Seems to me if that if I-A and I-AA were in fact one division, the answer to the above questions would be yes. But the answer is actually "no". Huh, go figure.

Wait a second, Don't they use the word "Division" in the actual names too? Odd, why might that be? :confused:

Look man, if you want to keep your fantasy that they are not different classifications/divisions alive in that little naive head of yours, you do that.

Oh, while you're at it, go to the official NCAA site, and you see this page.

http://www2.ncaa.org/sports/fall/football/mens/

What's that I see? Is that the ruling body of collegiate athletics actually denoting separate divisions for I-A and I-AA? As if they were separate and unique entites? And using that word "Division" in the names too!

Please, say it ain't so. :eek: Surely, they, who created the divisions, can't be wrong too, can they?

89Hen
September 16th, 2005, 08:31 AM
And I was thinking Sprint was just giving us trouble here on the Gulf Coast due to the Storm
CF season is the only time I actually use the internet feature on my phone. You could imagine my disappointment the very first day I try to use it and it's down. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Black and Gold Express
September 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM
My, aren't you smackdillyicious? I-A and I-AA aren't in the same NCAA division you say? Check again. Is that "fantasy" as you say? Check again. Am I the one who is "naive" as you say? Check again. Have you checked the NCAA bylaws? Check again.

As I said, D-I is D-I. There are only three divisions in the NCAA. Only in D-I are there subclassifications and only in the sport of football. Here's a handy link for you:

Why it is called I-AA
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=44189

Come on Ralph, is it really so hard to accept?

Let's see. I point you to the official NCAA website, where they clearly deliniate four separate divisions of football. In fact, on their own web site they use the terms "Division I-A" and "Division I-AA". But you don't want to believe that, so you try and counter it with a nice homemade PDF.

Why is it so hard to accept that I-A and I-AA are separate and unique divisions, when the NCAA itself makes clear deliniations of it? And it's not a bad thing either. I am not ashamed to say my school is a Division I-AA school, in a separate and unique division from my friends' schools such as UVA, VT, Maryland, etc.

Or are you going to continue to act like the NCAA does toward American Indians, and tell us that what you believe is what we shuld believe, even if it's not the truth?

I'm done with this. Have a nice day. Enjoy your trip this week to whatever I-AA football game you are going to. I mean that, have a great time. I'll be having fun listening to my Division I-AA Appalachian State team play Coastal Carolina. And I may catch some of my wife's alma mater, the Division I-A Texas Longhorns, on TV later. I'll enjoy them both for what they actually are, two teams I care about and root for in separate divisions of college football.