PDA

View Full Version : GSU's Foster wins Payton Award

chattanoogamocs
December 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Thursday, December 13, 2007, at 7:13 pm
Breaking News -- Chattanooga Times-Free Press

Georgia Southern quarterback Jayson Foster won the Walter Payton Award as the most outstanding player in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision at the FCS awards dinner at the Chattanooga Marriott. In additions the Foster's award, Northern Iowa coach Mark Farley was named FCS coach of the year and Montana's Kroy Biermann won the Buck Buchanan Award as the subdivision's best defensive player.

eaglewraith
December 13th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Georgia Southern quarterback Jayson Foster won the Walter Payton Award as the most outstanding player in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision at the FCS awards dinner at the Chattanooga Marriott. In additions the Foster's award, Northern Iowa coach Mark Farley was named FCS coach of the year and Montana's Kroy Biermann won the Buck Buchanan Award as the subdivision's best defensive player.

HEEEEELLLL YES

HENJOHN
December 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Congrats to Foster and GSU on the award. He had a GREAT year. I wish Omar Cuff won it, but its hard to argue Foster

Eaglegus2
December 13th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Congratulations to Jayson Foster!

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 13th, 2007, 06:37 PM
SWEET! A scholar, a gentleman, and the best FCS football player this year. I wonder how soon in the draft he will get picked.

VanGoober must feel stupid right about now. :D

rb45070
December 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I hope every southern fan sends this to BVG to remind him how much of an idiot he was, Congrats Jayson

ps~ so glad we dont have to worry about you anymore xnodx

AppChicago
December 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Big ups to Jayson Foster. The only App game I made it down for this year was ASU/GSU, and Foster floored me with his sheer speed and skill.

I wish him all the best... and am ALSO glad he won't be around to terrify us any longer!

gatadotcom
December 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM
http://www.gata.com/gataimages/fosterwinspayton.jpg

eaglewraith
December 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM

I wonder what those Wofford guys are thinking.....

"WHAM BAM WTF JUST HAPPENED?" (Props if you guess the movie)

UNHWildCats
December 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM
who was second and who was third???

bobbythekidd
December 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xsmoochx xprost2x xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xprost2x xsmoochx xprost2x xhurrayx

FCS Preview
December 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Funny thing is there's no official release on the Sports Network site, though they have releases for the other awards....

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Congrats.....

ButlerGSU
December 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Congratulations to a excellent athlete and a great person.

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

ButlerGSU
December 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Funny thing is there's no official release on the Sports Network site, though they have releases for the other awards....

Coulson, must be doing the updating... ;-)

WildcatFan
December 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Thought the same thing - do you think the CAA is having them recount ballots?xlolx xlolx

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 13th, 2007, 06:57 PM
According to a GSU source at the event, as of 7:55 the winner has still yet to be officially announced at the event.

hApPYaPpYFan
December 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Congrats to Jayson Foster.....what a great player with a bright future!!! Way to represent GSU and the Socon.

WildcatFan
December 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
According to a GSU source at the event, as of 7:55 the winner has still yet to be officially announced at the event.

The Sports Network won't be happy it was in the press before the official announcement - can't say I blame them.

eaglewraith
December 13th, 2007, 07:00 PM
The Sports Network won't be happy it was in the press before the official announcement - can't say I blame them.

The Chattanooga paper article is timed at 7:13. That's pretty early.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
It's all over TSC and also listed as Breaking News on the StatesboroHerald.com

I don't know how it got out before an official announcement.

chattanoogamocs
December 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
It is on the Stateboro Herald too

http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/7264/

chattanoogamocs
December 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
It's all over TSC and also listed as Breaking News on the StatesboroHerald.com

I don't know how it got out before an official announcement.

Because one of the awards officials told the media perhaps???? ;)

chattanoogamocs
December 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM
they obviously let the media know early, they have the headline on the Stateboro Herald...

www.statesboroherald.com

chattanoogamocs
December 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
they obviously let the media know early, the Herald now already has a full story

gatadotcom
December 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM
they obviously let the media know early, the Herald now already has a full story (notice the headline and when the story was actually uploaded)...

Jayson Foster's big night
Walter Payton Award winner to be annouced tonight

By ALEX PELLEGRINO
[email protected]
912-489-9406
Posted: Dec. 13, 2007 6:04 a.m.
Updated: Dec. 13, 2007 6:04 a.m.

In his downtime between raising 4-month-old Adrian Jr. and preparing for his role as a running back for the Chicago Bears, former Georgia Southern great Adrian Peterson often goes online to check up on his beloved Eagles.
Thanks to the Internet, he’s able to catch highlights from every game, and the former Walter Payton Award winner is always impressed by Jayson Foster. Foster, who recently wrapped up his own outstanding career at GSU and earned his diploma, is in line to join Peterson as the only two Eagles to win the prized Payton, awarded annually to the most outstanding offensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision.

http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/7236/

This story was posted at 6:04 AM. It was in this morning's paper!

gsugt1
December 13th, 2007, 07:14 PM
It says he is in line to join AP.

bobbythekidd
December 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Then why was everyone on pins and needles all day on TSC?

proasu89
December 13th, 2007, 07:16 PM
xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM
It says he is in line to join AP.

Yea, it was just saying the award winner was to be named tonight. Not that Jayson had already been named winner.

WildcatFan
December 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM

6:04am article was about his big night and that he was a finalist. The posting that he won was at 6pm

bobbythekidd
December 13th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Got it.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 13th, 2007, 07:33 PM
CONGRATS - He was absolutely the most exciting, most dangerous player I have seen come into The Rock in years!!! - Well Deserved and a tribute to a young man who was "pushed aside" by the brilliant coaching staff from last season but he definitely didn't hang his head and/or give up!!! ---

eaglewraith
December 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/2007payton_foster.htm

eaglewraith
December 13th, 2007, 07:38 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/payton_2007/voting_07.htm

Voting breakdown....wtf with 11 5th place votes?

gatadotcom
December 13th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Foster in a run-away!

Jayson Foster, Georgia Southern
24 first place votes
224 total points

Eric Sanders, Northern Iowa
21 first place votes
184 total points

Josh Johnson, San Diego
10 first place votes
166 total points

Omar Cuff, Delaware
7 first place votes
154 total points

Ricky Santos, New Hampshire
9 first place votes
151 total points

PantherRob82
December 13th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Congrats to Foster and GSU on the award. He had a GREAT year. I wish Omar Cuff won it, but its hard to argue Foster

7-4 is a good arguement. xthumbsupx xlolx

eaglewraith
December 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM
7-4 is a good arguement. xthumbsupx xlolx

Can't argue the stats though ;)

PantherRob82
December 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Can't argue the stats though ;)

haha. i know. congrats to Jayson. :D

appfan2008
December 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
congratulations to jayson foster... unbelievable talent... too bad he wasnt able to display it last year... he was certainly the most deserving i saw

chattanoogamocs
December 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Yeah...I got duped for a minute there...they headline on the front of the Herald said "Foster wins Payton"...then when you clicked on it, it was an article about him possibly being named (a quick scan I thought it read, "will be" given the award).

Well, the info was correct...and obviously was leaked...welcome to the internet and wireless were you can post a "breaking story" instaneously.

BTW...congrats again to Jayson...well deserved. He doesn't have any more eligibility left, right??? :p

eaglewraith
December 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah...I got duped for a minute there...they headline on the front of the Herald said "Foster wins Payton"...then when you clicked on it, it was an article about him possibly being named (a quick scan I thought it read, "will be" given the award).

Well, the info was correct...and obviously was leaked...welcome to the internet and wireless were you can post a "breaking story" instaneously.

BTW...congrats again to Jayson...well deserved. He doesn't have any more eligibility left, right??? :p

We wish he could get a hardship for last year :(

eaglewraith
December 13th, 2007, 08:19 PM
So where's all the Foster haters now to offer their congrats? ;)

smallcollegefbfan
December 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Congrats to Jayson Foster! He deserves it!!!

GrizzlyEdd
December 13th, 2007, 08:37 PM

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Congrats to Jayson Foster. I didn't get to see him play but once, wish I could have seen more GSU games. Congrats to Coach Farley. One hell of a great season for NIU. And of course congrats of my favorite (homer) Kroy Biermann. Was great to watch Kroy develop over the last four years. He gave Griz fans lots to cheer about.... Awesome job to all three winners....xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Congratulations to Jason, Kroy, and Coach Farley. 3 well deserved honorees. Let's hope the game on Friday lives up the quality of the 3 award winners picked tonight!

I hope both players get to play in a post-season All-Star Game since I have never had the pleasure of seeing either play. xthumbsupx

blukeys
December 13th, 2007, 09:00 PM
So where's all the Foster haters now to offer their congrats? ;)

Who was a Jayson hater???xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Congrats. In my view he was better than the other two finalists and well deserving.

eaglewraith
December 13th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Who was a Jayson hater???xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Congrats. In my view he was better than the other two finalists and well deserving.

I'm referring to a certain Johnson fanboy and of course....THE citdog. :D

mrklean
December 13th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Congrats JAYSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spelunker64
December 13th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Very deserving, awesome player. Congrats!

SuperEagle
December 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Way to go Jayson. Congrats on not only being a great football player but also a great person. A well deserved award.

BDKJMU
December 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Congrats to Foster. Now as far as the 22 vote getters, who's missing......Armanti Edwards! WTF? He's apparently good enough to have SI say he should get Heisman consideration for next year, but not good enough to be considered for the Payton, not even a write in? I know he missed a couple games, but my god, look at the performances he's put on. I'm surprised you ASU fans aren't jumping up and down about this!..xeekx xeekx xeekx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

ButlerGSU
December 13th, 2007, 09:29 PM
There are interviews with Athletic Director Sam Baker and Jayson Foster from the awards ceremony tonight at http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com

JayJ79
December 13th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Foster in a run-away!

Jayson Foster, Georgia Southern
24 first place votes
224 total points

Eric Sanders, Northern Iowa
21 first place votes
184 total points

Congrats to Foster. He is definitely a good player and put up some big numbers (while Sanders never put up CRAZY numbers, due to being on a balanced team).

Though I'd hardly call it a run-away. *shrug*

JayJ79
December 13th, 2007, 09:37 PM
xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Congrats to Jayson Foster. I didn't get to see him play but once, wish I could have seen more GSU games. Congrats to Coach Farley. One hell of a great season for NIU. And of course congrats of my favorite (homer) Kroy Biermann. Was great to watch Kroy develop over the last four years. He gave Griz fans lots to cheer about.... Awesome job to all three winners....xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

What's the outlook on MU next year?

Kill'em
December 13th, 2007, 09:43 PM

Sweetest graphic you've done!

blackfordpu
December 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I didn't realize he had that great of a year. Congrats to him.

TheValleyRaider
December 13th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Congrats to Jayson and Georgia Southern on the Payton award

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Kill'em
December 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
It is a great honor but I am certain that Jayson would gladly trade it for a ring.

Tod
December 13th, 2007, 10:28 PM
:) :) :) xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

"I feel very honored, very privileged to win the Walter Payton Award," said Foster. "You cannot win an elite award like this without having talented teammates and a great coaching staff. The Payton Award is a very prestigious honor, there are many great names who have won this award. It is humbling to be mentioned with such great collegiate football players."

Great player, good man!

I'm probably not the first to quote Jayson from the article, but didn't have time to read every comment.

Congrats to Jayson and to all AGS (and other) GSU fans! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ngineer
December 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Congrats to the Big 3 award winners! Heck of a season for all of them..Some very close competition, too. I'm sure Cuff got serious consideration, but can't argue with Foster..

phillyAPP
December 13th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Big ups to Jayson Foster. The only App game I made it down for this year was ASU/GSU, and Foster floored me with his sheer speed and skill.

I wish him all the best... and am ALSO glad he won't be around to terrify us any longer!

I very much agree !!!

He was THE BEST OPPONENT we played against.

A one man highlight reel.

well earned and deserved.

Kill'em
December 13th, 2007, 11:13 PM
It would have been hard to argue against the other two. All three were great players.

OL FU
December 14th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Congrats to Fosterxthumbsupx

Purple For Life
December 14th, 2007, 07:09 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Coach Farley! :D

Kill'em
December 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I wonder if Foster is the first "All-Purpose" player to win the award. He was a first-team All American in that category.

gsueaglefan
December 14th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I hope every southern fan sends this to BVG to remind him how much of an idiot he was, Congrats Jayson

Here Here!! What an idiot!!

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Congratulations Jayson Foster! xhurrayx

Now leave us in peace! xlolx

USDFAN_55
December 14th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Congratulations Foster.xthumbsupx
So what are the odds of him being drafted? It looks like he may have a shot at being a kick returner or a possibly an RB (not an every down RB, I think he's a bit small for that; but a 3rd down back may suit him well).

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 10:47 AM
So what are the odds of him being drafted? It looks like he may have a shot at being a kick returner or a possibly an RB (not an every down RB, I think he's a bit small for that; but a 3rd down back may suit him well).
I think you're right about him having his best shot at special teams as a return man. xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 14th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Here Here!! What an idiot!!

Why do you have one of those terrible BVG helmets in your avatar? xnonox UGh! that helmet brings back so many bad memories.

I wonder if Foster is the first "All-Purpose" player to win the award. He was a first-team All American in that category.

He's probably the first QB to be named as an RB to the All-America team xlolx

Kill'em
December 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM

I have heard that NFL scouts project him as a returner. I have not heard where he is projected to be drafted, if drafted at all.

It looks as if your man, Josh Johnson, will go higher. And by the way, congratulations to him on his incredibile season. Here is a decent article on him. We must excuse the D-II reference. xnonox
http://http://nfldraftwatch.wordpress.com/2007/11/25/sleeper-watch-josh-johnson/

JDC325
December 14th, 2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/ads1/43198.jpg

blueballs
December 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Foster was awarded the Payton Award last night and awarded his diploma from GSU Friday with a degree in logistics. What a week for the young man!!!!!!!

I met his mom and had breakfast with her his freshman year and it is real easy to see where his class comes frmo.xnodx

appybybirth
December 14th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Congrats to Jayson Foster!!! For an interesting item on next year's leading candidate, the below lists AE's prospects out of high school.

Schools of Interest:
School Interest Level Offer? Attended Camp? Visit Date Signed LOI?
Appalachian State Verbal Yes None
Furman No Interest No None
Georgia Southern No Interest No None
New Mexico State No Interest Yes None
South Carolina No Interest No None
Vanderbilt No Interest No None