PDA

View Full Version : Post 7000, How the Hens Can Win

GannonFan
December 13th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Seeing how this is the plateau post, and seeing how I won't make many more posts before catching a flight early tomorrow morning, I'll take one last stab at how my beloved Blue Hens can overcome the mighty force that is the Appalachian St Mountaineers...

- Cuff: He's run with passion in the playoffs and he's run with purpose. Most of the time he's gotten 2-3 extra yards after first contact, and he's had a great vision for the first down marker. That 3rd and 11 screen pass conversion for the first down late against UNI, where he leaped his own offensive lineman and then ran through 2 UNI players for the last few yards was the stuff of legend. He's a senior, in his last game.

- Flacco: Strongest arm QB I've ever seen at UD, and that includes my own favorite, Rich Gannon (he can't run like Gannon, who was actually a combination of Flacco and Edwards). Cool under pressure, doesn't turn the ball over, will stick in the pocket and make the play.

- Receivers: Despite the SIU showing, this group has been terrific all year in making big catches. No fumbles all year from this group either. Not exactly speed burners, but they get open and make the play. And the tight ends, especially Agnone, are matchup problems - you don't see pass catching TE's like these at this level that often.

- Offensive Line: Even with half of the starting offensive line missing, this group led the way to wins against UNI and SIU. They keep the pressure off of Flacco and give Omar just enough room.

- Defense: Just take it as a whole - just a bunch of real young guys (defense should be fun to watch next year) that are growing up together and really starting to shine. Didn't let SIU score after the 1st quarter, played great pass defense all through the playoffs, and limited the big plays - they may give up yardage, but they make you spread those big plays out. And they create turnovers. And they don't get down on themselves.

Overall Team - Gotta give KC credit, he can coach in the playoffs, and this has been one fun ride. Big media-hyped game against Delaware St and the team came out and demolished the Hornets. Played the #1 team in the loudest venue imagineable and the Hens came out victorious. Had to stay in Iowa for 2 more full days and even had a bus accident. Had to play SIU in dreary conditions in Carbondale coming off the high of beating UNI, and they play lights out defense and win.

This has been a great team to watch, and an even easier team to root for. It'll be a thrill to be in Chattanooga watching this team play one more time, and this time for, as KC calls it, immortality.

And just to finish this off, with the line from "Hoosiers", before Hickory takes to the floor as a big underdog against a heavily favored opponent...

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

Go Hens. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

BlueHen86
December 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Great post GF. Love the Hoosiers reference at the end.

Congrats agian on 7K.

blukeys
December 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks GF!!! How did you pass me by so much??? we got to 6,000 together.xbawlingx xbawlingx

Like you, I kind of like the Hens being underdogs. It reminds me of the old UD - Temple games of the 70's and 80's (yes, temple once had a competitive FBS team)

Great post for 7,000. I hope you have a great time!!!!xnodx xnodx xnodx

spelunker64
December 13th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Congrats GannonFan, one of AGS's best

Only 2,000 back from ya...

AshevilleApp2
December 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I don't see this game as a big underdog against a heavily favored opponent. You have two strong teams, and both have overcome their share of adversity this year (Michigan hoopla not-withstanding). Great kids representing quality programs. Enjoy the game. See you there. Go App!

Milo
December 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I don't see this game as a big underdog against a heavily favored opponent. You have two strong teams, and both have overcome their share of adversity this year (Michigan hoopla not-withstanding). Great kids representing quality programs. Enjoy the game. See you there. Go App!

Exactly, this is not a David vs. Goliath event. What is it...4 point spread?
I think it will likely come down to turnovers and special teams ...and ASU worries me in both.

ASU88
December 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Nice post ... good thoughts.

I don't know how big of an underdog Delaware is. Yes ... there is a lot of hype about App St. and Armanti Edwards and all, but before last week's games Delaware was mentioned more than a couple of times as the team to beat left in the tournament.

texcap
December 13th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I think it will likely come down to turnovers and special teams ...and ASU worries me in both.

Agreed. Now the last one that Delaware was in was a David v Goliath affair, and the Blue Hens were the Goliath in that one, and it showed!

93henfan
December 13th, 2007, 02:06 PM
"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

Go Hens. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Nice!

Here's a page with that and the final two minutes of the 1954 Indiana HS Basketball State Championship Game. This was obviously before the shot clock was instituted: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechhoosiersfinal.html

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 13th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Great timing for the 7K post GF!!! Congrats and have a great time in Chatty!!!

I think the dismantling of Richmond last week has many of us CAA folks thinking App is a significant favorite in this game. But at the same time, we know that the Hens aren't going down without a fight. And if the game becomes a scoring fest like last week, we know Delaware can match scores pretty well.

Looking forward to the game, Dogfish Head brews on ice for the evening!!!

Go Blue Hens!!!!

93henfan
December 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Looking forward to the game, Dogfish Head brews on ice for the evening!!!

Go Blue Hens!!!!

Fine choice of beverage. I'll be enjoying some 90 Minute IPA myself!

LacesOut
December 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Congrats on the 7k GF.

How the Hens can win is to score more points than App. I'm serious! LOL

Hog the ball and control the clock with the short passing game and Omar running right/left/middle/high/low/up/down. And get a turnover or two, that would sure help.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Raison d'Etre for me and I think I have another variety in the refrigerator.

Oldhen
December 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM

120's to start, 90's to finish... if the 120's don't finish me first...

93henfan
December 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
120's to start, 90's to finish... if the 120's don't finish me first...

120s = 20% alcohol = tough to make it four quarters!

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Occasional_Rarities/120_Minute_IPA/15/index.htm

Oldhen
December 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM
120s = 20% alcohol = tough to make it four quarters!

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Occasional_Rarities/120_Minute_IPA/15/index.htm

Only can ever manage one or two, despite how much I like them... that's where the 90's come in handy.

Baltimore Hen
December 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Not if you ask Coulson.......His printed prediction has a 14 point App win, but in reality we all know that he goes to bed in his App St feety PJs believing that App St should have their own football division entirely to themselves, b/c they are out of even the NCAAs league.......xrolleyesx