PDA

View Full Version : Are the Catamounts for real???

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 14th, 2005, 08:09 PM
FU was the number one pick of SI and was (I think) in the top 5 in the Sports Network Poll. Or was this just a fluke? Or is FU just overrated?

I think they have a darn good team and it will show against UC. I don't know about them getting into the playoffs though - the Socon is just too tough, much like the SEC in IA. Teams can have a mediocre season but when they play you, they turn into championship quality teams.

charliej
September 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM
IMO- to early to tell.Last year they won a couple late in the season including App st.(Then on the other hand,Citadel blanked em in the last game).

I'll be paying close attention to the Cinnci. game though.

Mr. C
September 14th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Western Carolina is very good defensively. They swarm to the ball and are very aggressive. They shut down Furman's running attack and got a good pass rush and secondary coverage once they forced the Paladins to pass. WCU's defense could battle Appalachian State's as the best in the SoCon from what I've seen so far. The Catamounts' biggest problem is at QB with Justin Clark. He doesn't have a Major League arm. But supposedly, there is a very good freshman waiting in the wings. Furman seemed to have trouble with its outside linebackers (the WCU game was the worst peformance I'd ever witnessed by Paladin linebackers) and its defensive ends had trouble containing. Furman was very poor in tackling, with Darius Fudge and others breaking a lot of arm tackles. The Paladins also lack a deep threat at receiver. Eventually, Furman will come around. All indications are that Georgia Southern has some real problems on the defensive line, which could derail the Eagles chances in the SoCon. We'll know a lot more about GSU and Wofford on Saturday when they play each other. Wofford is very young and hasn't played well in its first two games. Chattanooga has improved a great deal on defense, but has some young players on offense. The Citadel defense played well for a half against Florida State, forcing four turnovers before getting worn out by an offense that couldn't move the ball. Elon appears to be strong again on defense, with the offense a question mark. App State is still trying to find consistency on offense, but the defense is excellent and Richie Williams will eventually get the offense clicking.

All that said, Western Carolina is as capable as anyone in a wide-open league of making a playoff run this season. The Catamounts defense should keep them in every game. Who knows, maybe the Old Mountain Jug game at ASU will be for all the SoCon marbles this year.

DotCat
September 15th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I'll agree, it's to early to tell. Last week was such a welcome surprise to everyone in attendance, especially to those that witnessed the lack luster performance against DII Mars Hill College the week before.

This weekends game will be a true test. Rumor has it we have no injuries from the Furman game. Also, against Furman, two of our best defensive players were out and will be back against the Bearcats. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The SoCon could finally be seeing a shift, but again to early to tell.

Baldy
September 15th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Looks like the Can'tamount nickname might be a thing of the past. I was very impressed with Western's performance against Furman and I'm very glad we get the Cat's in Paulson this year.

As I said last week, I knew their D was VERY good, but didn't think the O would be powerful enough after the Mars Hill game. What a difference a week makes....for some teams anyway. :(

Mr. C,
I believe our defense will improve tremendously between now and the end of the season. I just hope it won't be too late. We are young and very inexperienced, especially up front. We have 9 freshmen or sophmores on the defensive 2-deep roster, plus we lost Charrod Taylor and Terrence McBride for at least the next two weeks because of injuries. One bit of good news, we get TJ Watkins back this week from the ACL tear he got at the end of Spring practice.

youwouldno
September 15th, 2005, 01:45 AM
One upset does not make a "power shift." WCU had all preseason to prepare for the game, they did it well, and Furman played a horrible game offensively. Furman had beaten WCU 7 times in a row so an upset is going to happen sooner or later.

eagleskins
September 15th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Did you just say Appy has a good defense? Crazy talk there.

DotCat
September 15th, 2005, 02:43 AM
One upset does not make a "power shift." WCU had all preseason to prepare for the game, they did it well, and Furman played a horrible game offensively. Furman had beaten WCU 7 times in a row so an upset is going to happen sooner or later.

I did say it was still early and that time would tell, however there are currently only two SoCon teams still undefeated, WCU & UTC, and both beat ranked teams last weekend.

Upsets do happen and that's why we play the games.

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Western Carolina....from Can'tamounts to "CAN"tamounts??? :)

OL FU
September 15th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Western Carolina is very good defensively. They swarm to the ball and are very aggressive. They shut down Furman's running attack and got a good pass rush and secondary coverage once they forced the Paladins to pass. WCU's defense could battle Appalachian State's as the best in the SoCon from what I've seen so far. The Catamounts' biggest problem is at QB with Justin Clark. He doesn't have a Major League arm. But supposedly, there is a very good freshman waiting in the wings. Furman seemed to have trouble with its outside linebackers (the WCU game was the worst peformance I'd ever witnessed by Paladin linebackers) and its defensive ends had trouble containing. Furman was very poor in tackling, with Darius Fudge and others breaking a lot of arm tackles. The Paladins also lack a deep threat at receiver. Eventually, Furman will come around. All indications are that Georgia Southern has some real problems on the defensive line, which could derail the Eagles chances in the SoCon. We'll know a lot more about GSU and Wofford on Saturday when they play each other. Wofford is very young and hasn't played well in its first two games. Chattanooga has improved a great deal on defense, but has some young players on offense. The Citadel defense played well for a half against Florida State, forcing four turnovers before getting worn out by an offense that couldn't move the ball. Elon appears to be strong again on defense, with the offense a question mark. App State is still trying to find consistency on offense, but the defense is excellent and Richie Williams will eventually get the offense clicking.

All that said, Western Carolina is as capable as anyone in a wide-open league of making a playoff run this season. The Catamounts defense should keep them in every game. Who knows, maybe the Old Mountain Jug game at ASU will be for all the SoCon marbles this year.

Man , did you ever hit the nail on the head. I think the lack of a deep threat has caused more problems than was considered pre-season. Last year Bratton and West kept a good portion of the defense occupied which opened up the short game. When the defense tried to stop the short game, the wide outs were not covered.

It's obvious at this point in the season FU was over-rated. We will see how it ends. As to Western, it looks like they are back, however, as has been stated on this board many times, the track record is not there so they still have to prove it every week.

Black and Gold Express
September 15th, 2005, 07:40 AM

You might want to watch some ASU games this year before proclaiming that.

This year's unit has been given huge upgrades with the returns of Hunter and Lynch. Hunter gives ASU two top-caliber rush ends, and as you well know from the past, ASU has thrived with a pair of ends constantly in the backfield in the past. So far this year that's been the story. And Lynch is the best defensive back in the SoCon, hands down. Those are huge gaps filled that allow the rest of the unit to play within themselves. Now if we could bench Touchstone for a while...

Moreover, look at how the games have played out. The ASU offense is not built around long drives, although they did have a couple of nice ones at Kansas. The downside of the quick-strike offense is the toll it takes on the defense. This has to be kept in mind when judging ASU's defense.

EKU had a 2:1 advantage in time of possession, and the defense kept them out of the endzone most of the day. Against Kansas, they held them to 13 points in the first half, and it wasn't until late in the third quarter that they finally gave.

You put most defenses in I-AA out there for the same amount of time against the two opponents we faced, I guarantee you they'll give up a lot more points and lose both games.

We're far from a perfect team, but I'll take my chances with this unit any day of the week. It's not as good as other units we've had, but it's proven to be a lot better than some probably thought it might, and as many of us hoped it might.

blueballs
September 15th, 2005, 08:16 AM
I can't speak for our Furman brethren (did I call the purps brethren??? :confused: ) but I can say at this point in the season it appears that ASU and GSU have taken a step or two back and WCU and UTC have taken a step up.

GSU has both WCU and UTC at Paulson this year. I see the SoCon as wide open with no great teams, it should be an interesting year.

OL FU
September 15th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I can't speak for our Furman brethren (did I call the purps brethren??? :confused: ) but I can say at this point in the season it appears that ASU and GSU have taken a step or two back and WCU and UTC have taken a step up.

GSU has both WCU and UTC at Paulson this year. I see the SoCon as wide open with no great teams, it should be an interesting year.

I am not sure I would make that statement about ASU yet. Offense does not seem as productive. But last year, they would not have beaten EKU on the road. The road win was a big one.

blueballs
September 15th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I am not sure I would make that statement about ASU yet. Offense does not seem as productive. But last year, they would not have beaten EKU on the road. The road win was a big one.

True but one road win over a mediocre team from one of the weaker conferences does not signal App is back, although it is undeniably a nice building block for them.

I'm looking at ASU from the standpoint of where they were from the mid 90's to 2001 or 2002 vs. the last couple of years, more of a longer term historical perspective, if you will. They've definitely taken a step back.

GannonFan
September 15th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Who knows, maybe the SoCon is seeing a rare wide-open race this year. Of all the conferences, this one has been the most resistent to seeing bottom teams move up and pass the big teams (App St, GSU, Furman, Marshall before they left) - Wofford was a rare exception back in '03 but maybe that was just a sign of things to come. Hard to tell yet being only 2 games in, but the two big boys for this year (GSU and Furman) have shown some early-season wobblieness so mayeb this is a year of parity in the SoCon. Heck, I may have to start saying good things about TN-Chatt!!! ;)

OL FU
September 15th, 2005, 09:00 AM
True but one road win over a mediocre team from one of the weaker conferences does not signal App is back, although it is undeniably a nice building block for them.

I'm looking at ASU from the standpoint of where they were from the mid 90's to 2001 or 2002 vs. the last couple of years, more of a longer term historical perspective, if you will. They've definitely taken a step back.

Agree, I was looking at the shorter term

WCU LawCat
September 15th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Who knows, maybe the Old Mountain Jug game at ASU will be for all the SoCon marbles this year.

What a dream that would be. Would have to think App would have an advantage at home this year. As for the Freshman QB, he has only played a few snaps but when he did he played very well. He has a Cannon for an arm. Clark does not put much zip on his passes. He plays better than he used to.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 15th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Who knows, maybe the SoCon is seeing a rare wide-open race this year. Of all the conferences, this one has been the most resistent to seeing bottom teams move up and pass the big teams (App St, GSU, Furman, Marshall before they left) - Wofford was a rare exception back in '03 but maybe that was just a sign of things to come. Hard to tell yet being only 2 games in, but the two big boys for this year (GSU and Furman) have shown some early-season wobblieness so mayeb this is a year of parity in the SoCon. Heck, I may have to start saying good things about TN-Chatt!!! ;)

I don't think it's as much that GSU, FU, and App. State are getting worse as much as it is everyone in the conference is getting better. The only thing that A10 has got that the Socon does not have is teams with name recognition. I remember back in '03 people laughed at the Socon with our traditional "big 3" having only semi-winning seasons and Wofford being in the playoffs, but they went all the way to the semis and gave Delaware a good game (they only won by two touchdowns). There is no doubt in my mind that they would have beaten Colgate in the national championship had they won at UD. If the "other" socon teams can get a chance to get out from under the shadow of "the big 3", I think they can make the socon proud.

Mr. C
September 15th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to things. The Mountaineers have Corey Lynch, their All-American free safety and turnover machine, back from elbow surgery after missing all but two games last year, as well as another potential All-American in defensive end Jason Hunter returning from academic problems. Hunter was in on three sacks and had a fumble recovery for a TD in his first half back against a very good Eastern Kentucky team. Lynch was the I-AA.org national defensive player of the week against EKU, with two interceptions, as well as saving a TD and stopping a two-point conversion. Hunter and Marques Murrell are the best defensive end tandem in the SoCon and maybe in I-AA.They also have Dominique Dingle, who missed all last year with shoulder surgery, as a shutdown cornerback. Those freshmen corners from last year are now sophomores and are greatly improved. This is a deep group, with lots of young depth pushing the starters. Anyone who overlooks App's defense this year will be making a big mistake.

Mr. C
September 15th, 2005, 10:35 PM

A mediocre team? Are you talking about Eastern Kentucky? I think Ralph would agree with me (he has already told me this) that EKU is very good. We both have seen EKU in person and were impressed. They played a close game with Appalachian and lost on the last play of the game to the No. 1 team in the AGS poll, Western Kentucky, on the road. Winning at EKU isn't that easy. App will be right in the thick of things this year.

umassfan
September 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to things. The Mountaineers have Corey Lynch, their All-American free safety and turnover machine, back from elbow surgery after missing all but two games last year, as well as another potential All-American in defensive end Jason Hunter returning from academic problems. Hunter was in on three sacks and had a fumble recovery for a TD in his first half back against a very good Eastern Kentucky team. Lynch was the I-AA.org national defensive player of the week against EKU, with two interceptions, as well as saving a TD and stopping a two-point conversion. Hunter and Marques Murrell are the best defensive end tandem in the SoCon and maybe in I-AA.They also have Dominique Dingle, who missed all last year with shoulder surgery, as a shutdown cornerback. Those freshmen corners from last year are now sophomores and are greatly improved. This is a deep group, with lots of young depth pushing the starters. Anyone who overlooks App's defense this year will be making a big mistake.

Lynch wouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentance as Shannon James. App Sts D is average at best. Good defenses dont let teams score points and move the ball all over he field like App has.

Mr. C
September 16th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Lynch wouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentance as Shannon James. App Sts D is average at best. Good defenses dont let teams score points and move the ball all over he field like App has.
And how many times have you seen Appalachian State play this year? Lynch may not be Shannon James, yet (I didn't know we were making a comparison here). He is just a sophomore, while James is a senior. But he is arguably as good as any other defensive back in I-AA and both Lynch and James, sources tell me, project as future NFL draft choices. Wouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence? I guess you didn't see that both James and Lynch were among I-AA.org's preseason All-Americans. That sounds like the same sentence to me. Better study up a little more before you go making blanket statments about how good teams are.

SoCon48
September 16th, 2005, 02:50 AM

Lynch has been mentioned in the same "sentance" with Pre-Season All American and All-SoCon..

FWIW, can't imagine Colgate and Richmond pushing anybody "all over the field."

blueballs
September 16th, 2005, 08:18 AM
A mediocre team? Are you talking about Eastern Kentucky? I think Ralph would agree with me (he has already told me this) that EKU is very good. We both have seen EKU in person and were impressed. They played a close game with Appalachian and lost on the last play of the game to the No. 1 team in the AGS poll, Western Kentucky, on the road. Winning at EKU isn't that easy. App will be right in the thick of things this year.

I can't disagree with you about EKU as I haven't seen them play this year. Perhaps my statement was based on the last few years' performance.

ASU will definitely be in the thick of the SoCon race this year. I'm just real glad GSU doesn't have to go to Boone for another month so perhaps GSU can improve a little, if that game was being played this weekend I could see a multiple score ASU win.

ASU's schedule and what they went through last year will make them plenty tough for the SoCon teams. They also have an experienced QB, they will be plenty dangerous.

GannonFan
September 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I don't think it's as much that GSU, FU, and App. State are getting worse as much as it is everyone in the conference is getting better. The only thing that A10 has got that the Socon does not have is teams with name recognition. I remember back in '03 people laughed at the Socon with our traditional "big 3" having only semi-winning seasons and Wofford being in the playoffs, but they went all the way to the semis and gave Delaware a good game (they only won by two touchdowns). There is no doubt in my mind that they would have beaten Colgate in the national championship had they won at UD. If the "other" socon teams can get a chance to get out from under the shadow of "the big 3", I think they can make the socon proud.

I agree full-heartedly - the name recognition comes with mutiple teams doing well in the playoffs over a period of time - with the A10 having 11 of 12 teams (all but Towson) make the playoffs within a relatively short period of time makes those names recognizable. I certainly think some teams other than the Big 3 in the SoCon have gotten better, and I certainly agree that Wofford in '03 was clearly the second best team in IAA (unfortunately for them they matched up terribly against UD that year) - although Wofford has fallen quite a bit from the '03 glory - so hopefully that means some other teams, maybe Western Carolina is one, can take the next step onto the national scene. I'm all for more good teams and programs in IAA so I'm all in favor of this resurgence.

Black and Gold Express
September 16th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I can't disagree with you about EKU as I haven't seen them play this year. Perhaps my statement was based on the last few years' performance.

ASU will definitely be in the thick of the SoCon race this year. I'm just real glad GSU doesn't have to go to Boone for another month so perhaps GSU can improve a little, if that game was being played this weekend I could see a multiple score ASU win.

ASU's schedule and what they went through last year will make them plenty tough for the SoCon teams. They also have an experienced QB, they will be plenty dangerous.

I fully expect a war when GSU enters Kidd-Brewer in a few weeks' time. Last year's game was an abberation, when you look at the history of this series. Usually the home field team wins, but that's the first true blowout I can remember in the series in quite a while.

One thing I like so far with our offense is that we're getting the running backs a lot more involved in the offense as opposed to last year. Personnel plays a big role in it. Atwater last ear was a slow plodding back, ill-fitted for the spread offense. He's gone, and you can already see the difference. In addition to option runs (Williams actually looked decent in running the shotgun option, big step up from last year), getting the ball on quick passes to Richardson and Underwood to use their speed in the open field will open up the wideouts more. While technically in the stat book those go down as passes, they are as effective as running plays to kep the defenses from getting too loose in protecting from the big play.

Counter to that, GSU is at its most devastating when they connect on passes. What I've read so far is that the passing game has not been there too much this year? If so, that means teams can really load up in the box and rely on their corners to handle the wideouts better.

Most good teams can stop a one-dimensional attack. And I don't mean dimensional so much as pass v. run, but as short gains v. long gains. The offenses that have the good mix of both are the ones that are hell to defend.

blueballs
September 16th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I fully expect a war when GSU enters Kidd-Brewer in a few weeks' time. Last year's game was an abberation, when you look at the history of this series. Usually the home field team wins, but that's the first true blowout I can remember in the series in quite a while.

One thing I like so far with our offense is that we're getting the running backs a lot more involved in the offense as opposed to last year. Personnel plays a big role in it. Atwater last ear was a slow plodding back, ill-fitted for the spread offense. He's gone, and you can already see the difference. In addition to option runs (Williams actually looked decent in running the shotgun option, big step up from last year), getting the ball on quick passes to Richardson and Underwood to use their speed in the open field will open up the wideouts more. While technically in the stat book those go down as passes, they are as effective as running plays to kep the defenses from getting too loose in protecting from the big play.

Counter to that, GSU is at its most devastating when they connect on passes. What I've read so far is that the passing game has not been there too much this year? If so, that means teams can really load up in the box and rely on their corners to handle the wideouts better.

Most good teams can stop a one-dimensional attack. And I don't mean dimensional so much as pass v. run, but as short gains v. long gains. The offenses that have the good mix of both are the ones that are hell to defend.

Agreed 100%