PDA

View Full Version : NY attempts to ban fieldturf

danefan
December 13th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Not sure where this technically belongs. It involves FCS because of the amount of teams that play on this stuff. Feel free to move it Mods if you want to.

I was reading an article on something else this morning and the article referenced a proposed ban on field turf currently before the NYS assembly. I hadn't heard anything about it and I got interested.

So here it is. The article is from a month ago, but I never saw it.

A NY assemblyman has proposed a bill to ban synthetic turf (meaning the new kind, commonly referred to as fieldturf). Apparently the ground up tires which act as the cushioning on these fields has failed a toxicity test.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21862363/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21862363/)

I think its pretty ridiculous and unlikely to pass, but could you imagine the cost implications a ban like this would have. Would it require field to be torn up? Talk about major lawsuits. $1,000,000+ right out the window.

KiddBrewer
December 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
ha what if a fieldturf field caught on fire....wouldnt that be a messxoopsx

seems a little crazy to ban them, but hey, everythings crazy these days.

jstate83
December 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM
First aluminum baseball bat's and now fake turf.
Don't they have other business to take care of.

In the 50 year's this stuff has been used, I don't recall anyone getting sick from playing on fake turf.

This is stupid and a waste of time. xsmhx

Rob Iola
December 13th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Let's just go back to the green cement that passed for Astroturf - that was really safe...

Franks Tanks
December 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Not sure where this technically belongs. It involves FCS because of the amount of teams that play on this stuff. Feel free to move it Mods if you want to.

I was reading an article on something else this morning and the article referenced a proposed ban on field turf currently before the NYS assembly. I hadn't heard anything about it and I got interested.

A NY assemblyman has proposed a bill to ban synthetic turf (meaning the new kind, commonly referred to as fieldturf). Apparently the ground up tires which act as the cushioning on these fields has failed a toxicity test.

I think its pretty ridiculous and unlikely to pass, but could you imagine the cost implications a ban like this would have. Would it require field to be torn up? Talk about major lawsuits. $1,000,000+ right out the window.

Politicians are so ******in stupid. There are thousands of factories, landfills, and illegal dumps in NY state that are creating a million times more polution than a synthetic turf field.

andy7171
December 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM
If anything can resurect mplsbison, THIS would be the topic!

andy7171
December 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Let's just go back to the green cement that passed for Astroturf - that was really safe...

Northeastern's Parson Field was an absolute nightmare to play on back in the day. It was seriously carpet on top of a parking lot. xnonono2x

93henfan
December 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Let's take this and run with it! I'm going to do my part by driving on bare rims.

UAalum72
December 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM
The bill is only for a six-month moratorium on installation pending a study of the health effects; study of effects not only on players but on leaching into groundwater of heavy metals, which is more serious in areas with acid rain; only on fields using a base of old tire rubber crumbs; and no guarantee it will be introduced into the state senate, let alone pass either chamber.

The could also pass the study without the moratorium.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A09503

Monarch History
December 13th, 2007, 10:27 AM

As long as the material wasn't made in China I think it will be ok.xlolx xlolx

TheValleyRaider
December 13th, 2007, 10:30 AM

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Sometimes I love the NYS Legislature. Always good for a laugh

Of course, if this goes through and they have to end up taking out fields, both my high school and college installed FieldTurf in the last year. They will not be happy about it, especially given how much environmental stuff the high school had to go through in the first place just to get the Turf

brownbear
December 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Cornell still has the old carpet on its field. When I saw that this year, it looked incredibly goofy and fake compared to the current stuff.

Who else in New York still has Astroturf?

Ronbo
December 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM

I would imagine the chemicals, pesticides, and fertilizers they put on grass is 100 times worse than ground up rubber. Are they kidding?

danefan
December 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Cornell still has the old carpet on its field. When I saw that this year, it looked incredibly goofy and fake compared to the current stuff.

Who else in New York still has Astroturf?

Not, college, but Dietz Stadium in Kingston, NY (where most of the NY high school playoffs are played, just replaced its old carpet with the same old crappy stuff about two years ago. Horrible.

BluehenJK
December 13th, 2007, 11:29 AM
At first she didnt like the idea because of the aesthetics. It would be green during the winter????? This is just some typical New England yuppie woman who thinks she is more important than everybody else. What a waste of time and you knew that liberal dump MSNBC would run this trash.

JayJ79
December 13th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I think conducting the study would be a good idea. Doesn't hurt to do the research.

I'm not sure how the exposure from the recycled tire material in fieldturf could be anywhere near all the exposure to tire dust that occurs from the millions of cars wearing away their tires on roads and highways all over the country.

JayJ79
December 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM
At first she didnt like the idea because of the aesthetics. It would be green during the winter????? This is just some typical New England yuppie woman who thinks she is more important than everybody else. What a waste of time and you knew that liberal dump MSNBC would run this trash.

And ban those evil, unnatural evergreen trees too!
Staying green in the winter..... that's just wrong.

KAUMASS
December 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Northeastern's Parson Field was an absolute nightmare to play on back in the day. It was seriously carpet on top of a parking lot. xnonono2x

I still have some scars from that turf from playing on Parsons in '87 & '89!

danefan
December 13th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I do have to tell you though, and anyone who has ever played on the stuff will agree, you tend to ingest a pretty good amount of those little black pellets when you play. Whether or not its enough to harm you or not, I don't know. But they taste like crap.

DetroitFlyer
December 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I do have to tell you though, and anyone who has ever played on the stuff will agree, you tend to ingest a pretty good amount of those little black pellets when you play. Whether or not its enough to harm you or not, I don't know. But they taste like crap.

Ah, so now we know what happened to you.... LOL!! The materials that are used to make tires are very tightly bound into the rubber. They do not leach out easily. Tires are one of the hardest products to recycle as a result.... I also think that any exposure to a player would be small, and the pellets would pass through your system before any harmful materials could be extracted from the rubber matrix.

In my opinion, the best use for worn out tires is to burn them as power plant fuel, ( TDF ), which means tire derived fuel. The tires are chopped up into chunks and literally incinerated in the power plant boilers. The level of "air pollution" is typically less than coal or oil. BUT, ask a politician if a TDF plant can be built in their district....

So, tires end up under field turf and in playgrounds....

My favorite use for used tires was as a mulch. Essentially, it is rubber tire chunks / shavings that are dyed the color of mulch. As you might guess, it pretty much lasts forever. Even the color holds up well....

URMite
December 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Now that sounds more accurate than green cement. I always thought astroturf = asphalt painted green...

BearsCountry
December 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Don't the Bills have it at their stadium?

jbuggASU
December 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=DetroitFlyer;798078]

So, tires end up under field turf and in playgrounds....

QUOTE]

I see the playgrounds being much more of a potential risk. Kids dig through that stuff all the time and you know its going to end up in their mouth. Why single out playing fields. This lady has no life, that is all this is about.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM

While technically Fairfield being in CT is within New England, but anyone who lives in CT knows that the "Gold Coast" AKA as Fairfield County is much more New York than New England. A Fairfield Yuppie is about as far from a typical New Englander as you can get. Again I refer to the Nine Nations of North America, this area of CT is included in the Rust Belt rather than New England.

Kind of like how Northern Delaware is significantly different than the southern two counties! ;)

93henfan
December 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
While technically Fairfield being in CT is within New England, but anyone who lives in CT knows that the "Gold Coast" AKA as Fairfield County is much more New York than New England. A Fairfield Yuppie is about as far from a typical New Englander as you can get. Again I refer to the Nine Nations of North America, this area of CT is included in the Rust Belt rather than New England.

Kind of like how Northern Delaware is significantly different than the southern two counties! ;)

Mmmm, give it time. The Jerseyfication of Kent and Sussex Counties is in full motion.

turfdoc
December 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I would imagine the chemicals, pesticides, and fertilizers they put on grass is 100 times worse than ground up rubber. Are they kidding?

Imagining would be all that you would be doing because natural turfgrass management is amazingly environmentally friendly, and it is the safest for humans compared to ground up petrolium products containing metals and other impurities.

One of the ealry concerns wih the field turf was going to be the potential for weeds to grow into the infill. Ended up not being a problem, the stuff is way to hot and toxic for just about anything to survive.

Dblue
December 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Mmmm, give it time. The Jerseyfication of Kent and Sussex Counties is in full motion.

Absotively agree with you. Been to Long Neck recently?

art vandelay
December 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
First aluminum baseball bat's and now fake turf.
Don't they have other business to take care of.

In the 50 year's this stuff has been used, I don't recall anyone getting sick from playing on fake turf.

This is stupid and a waste of time. xsmhx

UNH a few years ago had a huge epedemic of staff infection from their field not to mention numerous others including North Eastern. that being said i think the stuff is great and this is one of the dumbest laws of all time.xnonono2x

93henfan
December 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Absotively agree with you. Been to Long Neck recently?

I saw a very funny quote in the News Journal a few weeks back. They interviewed a lady from Middletown (which if you're not from Delaware is the poster-child for development gone unchecked in Delaware - a town that went from 500 residents in 1990 to 10,000 today). A new Kohl's store was opening and she said, "This is great! Now we don't have to drive either a half hour to Dover or a half-hour to Christiana to buy underwear!!"

JayJ79
December 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
UNH a few years ago had a huge epedemic of staff infection from their field not to mention numerous others including North Eastern. that being said i think the stuff is great and this is one of the dumbest laws of all time.xnonono2x

Did they really tie the staph infection to the field? I thought that sort of thing was transmitted person-to-person, and that it wouldn't really make much difference what TYPE of field was present.