PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel WR Roberts picked 3rd team All American

CID1990
December 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM
http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1351819

This kid is just a sophomore.

There is also a link for the voting for Kevin Higgins for coach of the year honors.

citdog
December 13th, 2007, 08:21 AM

All-American but NOT All-Socon? Methinks there is a little bit of App worship in Spartanburg. Dexter Jackson? come on guys

Congrats to Cadet Roberts!

Mountaineer#96
December 13th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I agree with you citdog. This kid likely should be in over Jackson. Jackson does not have the numbers he has. Dexter more or less is a sprinter playing WR. Not only that everytime he fields a punt I about pee myself b/c it looks like he is gonna muff another. I am not hating on Jackson's abilities at all he is great........but in the bigger picture I think Roberts is the better WR.

asu7
December 13th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I agree with you citdog. This kid likely should be in over Jackson. Jackson does not have the numbers he has. Dexter more or less is a sprinter playing WR. Not only that everytime he fields a punt I about pee myself b/c it looks like he is gonna muff another. I am not hating on Jackson's abilities at all he is great........but in the bigger picture I think Roberts is the better WR.

good I am not the only one xnodx

soweagle
December 13th, 2007, 09:13 AM

There is also a link for the voting for Kevin Higgins for coach of the year honors.

I think you have the right guy to get him the ball next year. While the backup qb (I assume will be the starter next season) did not have a great game when he came in for injured Lawson, he did seem to develop the next couple of weeks. I suspect the playing time he received this season will help him early next season.

CID1990
December 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I think you have the right guy to get him the ball next year. While the backup qb (I assume will be the starter next season) did not have a great game when he came in for injured Lawson, he did seem to develop the next couple of weeks. I suspect the playing time he received this season will help him early next season.

His name is Bart Blanchard, and he will put up bigger numbers than Duran Lawson before his career is done. A year or two from now, the SoCon question of the week won't be "How do we stop Armanti?" but "How will we stop Blanchard and Roberts?"

Mountaineer#96
December 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
good I am not the only one xnodx

My whole season ticket section all say the same thing. Sometimes he just needs to get away from the damn ball, although I know he is just trying to make a play.

Now that we talked about it, watch him go and muff one tomm. night. xsmhx xnonono2x xnonono2x

soweagle
December 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
His name is Bart Blanchard, and he will put up bigger numbers than Duran Lawson before his career is done. A year or two from now, the SoCon question of the week won't be "How do we stop Armanti?" but "How will we stop Blanchard and Roberts?"

Easy tiger, I'm sure the young man will be a star but he has a ways to go to be put in the catergory with Edwards. Don't forget that in "a year or two from now" Edwards will still be playing for the mountaineers.

citdog
December 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Easy tiger, I'm sure the young man will be a star but he has a ways to go to be put in the catergory with Edwards. Don't forget that in "a year or two from now" Edwards will still be playing for the mountaineers.

and J. Foster will still be bagging groceries somewhere

soweagle
December 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM
and J. Foster will still be bagging groceries somewhere

Yes Citdog, we know the sky is blue. Now back to the topic we are discussing, that is if you are done CITDOG?

Your guy is going to be good but lets wait and see what he does after a few games when the pressure is on before we throw Armanti Edwards under the bus. If THE citadel men are cabable of observing talent without downgrading someone else?

Attention Span- 1
Citdog-0

citdog
December 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Yes Citdog, we know the sky is blue. Now back to the topic we are discussing, that is if you are done CITDOG?

Your guy is going to be good but lets wait and see what he does after a few games when the pressure is on before we throw Armanti Edwards under the bus. If THE citadel men are cabable of observing talent without downgrading someone else?

CADET BLANCHARD WILL BE FINE, JUST FINE. PRESSURE?xlolx AFTER KNOB YEAR THE CITADEL MEN LAUGH AT WHAT THE REST OF YOU CALL PRESSURE!

soweagle
December 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM
CADET BLANCHARD WILL BE FINE, JUST FINE. PRESSURE?xlolx AFTER KNOB YEAR THE CITADEL MEN LAUGH AT WHAT THE REST OF YOU CALL PRESSURE!

Now that is a good point I have not thought about. I have always thought the Citadel players played tougher than anyone else in the league but never have thought about the ability handle pressure better.

CID1990
December 14th, 2007, 10:37 AM

I'm not belittling Armanti at all. I think he is one of the two most talented athletes in the SoCon right now, and the other one is graduating. That being said, Armanti is a one man threat. He has great receivers, but it is Armanti's talents with his feet (just like the other guy) that puts him in a position to deliver the ball with what is not necessarily the best arm.

What I am saying is that Bart Blanchard has all the pieces in place to put up much better numbers than Duran did, and he will have two years with a sophomore who just made All American. There are some other ball catchers that we have under the radar who are also going to help out. In other words, The Citadel's football team is not going to be a one man show like GSU was this year. The pieces are falling into place in a way that will make us less frustrating to play (as in "If we could just tackle Edwards/Foster we would win!") but much harder to beat, in that our QB is not going to be the only person you have to stop in order to win.

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I think the Blanchard and Roberts show will be competing directly with the Riddle and Hudgins show for 2nd place offense. xsmiley_wix

CID1990
December 14th, 2007, 10:55 AM

Attention Span- 1
Citdog-0

Pressure? Let's compare a shared opponent from this past season when Bart Blanchard started:

GSU vs. Elon: Payton Award winnner Jayson Foster: 178 Yards Total Offense.

The Citadel vs. Elon: Freshman (pressure prone) Bart Blanchard: 425 yards total offense.

OR, we could examine the numbers from the OTHER common opponent, App State:

GSU vs. ASU: Payton Award winnner Jayson Foster: 189 Yards Total Offense.

The Citadel vs. ASU: Freshman (pressure prone) Bart Blanchard: 261 yards total offense.

I think our knob can handle pressure at least as well as this year's Payton Award winner.

08Dawg
December 14th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Pressure? Let's compare a shared opponent from this past season when Bart Blanchard started:

The Citadel vs. Elon: Freshman (pressure prone) Bart Blanchard: 425 yards total offense.

The Citadel vs. ASU: Freshman (pressure prone) Bart Blanchard: 261 yards total offense.

I think our knob can handle pressure at least as well as this year's Payton Award winner.

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx Well said, well said...

The Blanchard-Roberts Show? xreadx Read about it...

gophoenix
December 14th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Not really an apples to apples comparison considering the number of injuries between the GSU and The Citadel games. Also night game and away for Foster vs day game and home game for Blanchard.

Blanchard is good. The Blanchard/Roberts and Riddle/Hudgins combos will be really interesting to watch all year next year.

Eyes of Old Main
December 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM

Is that why The Citadel's offense failed to score against Wofford? That game was for the outright SoCon lead. Sounds like not only did they crumble under pressure, but they did it on their home field.

Eyes of Old Main
December 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Congrats to Roberts, though. I think it is a well deserved honor.

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Not really an apples to apples comparison considering the number of injuries between the GSU and The Citadel games. Also night game and away for Foster vs day game and home game for Blanchard.

Blanchard is good. The Blanchard/Roberts and Riddle/Hudgins combos will be really interesting to watch all year next year.
You'll be fighting for the #2 offense show in the SoCon! xthumbsupx

gophoenix
December 14th, 2007, 09:58 PM

As long as we make the playoffs, beat Richmond, I really don't care if it isn't a show at all.:D

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2007, 09:59 PM
As long as we make the playoffs, beat Richmond, I really don't care if it isn't a show at all.:D
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

soweagle
December 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM

How dare you let something like reason get in the way of THE citadel.

soweagle
December 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Exactly, ASU will still be top dog as long as Edwards and the many other stars are there, not just a qb and a wr.

citdog
December 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Exactly, ASU will still be top dog as long as Edwards and the many other stars are there, not just a qb and a wr.

name one star on offense besides edwards that returns.....

you can't. there are none

Appaholic
December 19th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Name one star on Citadel's offense besides Roberts....you can't....you have none

citdog
December 19th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Name one star on THE Citadel's offense besides Roberts....you can't....you have none

Josh Haney, Alex Sellars, BART BLANCHARD!

you ever gonna call me?

ElonPride
December 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM

So I'd like to know where you're gettin' those numbers. According to the boxscore, Foster rushed 30 times for 74 yards and and went 5-14 passing for 55 yards versus Elon.

That doesn't quite add up to 178 yards.

Foster also rushed for 175, threw for 14, and caught the ball for 41 at App.......that's a little more than 189 yards of total offense.

Seriously, Do they teach math at El Cid?

Also, if you're looking at the stats.....shouldn't you give more props to Scott Riddle with his 397 yards and 4 TDs of total offense versus the SoCon's best defense (El Cid), then a 425 yard day versus the SoCon's depleted and WORST defense (Elon)? Just a thought.

08Dawg
December 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
So I'd like to know where you're gettin' those numbers. According to the boxscore, Foster rushed 30 times for 74 yards and and went 5-14 passing for 55 yards versus Elon.

Foster also rushed for 175, threw for 14, and caught the ball for 41 at App.......that's a little more than 189 yards of total offense.

Also, if you're looking at the stats.....shouldn't you give more props to Scott Riddle with his 397 yards and 4 TDs of total offense versus the SoCon's best defense (El Cid), then a 425 yard day versus the SoCon's depleted and WORST defense (Elon)? Just a thought.

42-31...just a thought.

ElonPride
December 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM
42-31...just a thought.

And that answers my questions?

Oh, and Elon #21 in the final SN rankings...Citadel where? Just a thought.

gophoenix
December 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
42-31...just a thought.

You guys had the superior game plan the past two years. It pain me that we have to go back to Charleston again next year.

I as at that game this season, and Higgins exploited every defensive spot where we were into the 3rd string because of injuries. Not an excuse, just good coaching by Higgins without a doubt.

Citdog, I'm not sure you can call Blanchard a star yet, but he's got the pure potential for it next year.

Biff
December 20th, 2007, 06:46 AM
You guys had the superior game plan the past two years. It pain me that we have to go back to Charleston again next year.

I as at that game this season, and Higgins exploited every defensive spot where we were into the 3rd string because of injuries. Not an excuse, just good coaching by Higgins without a doubt.

Citdog, I'm not sure you can call Blanchard a star yet, but he's got the pure potential for it next year.

It's BS that the game didn't go back to your turf. I was looking forward to making the trip. Oh well, I will make my plans for '09.

Biff
December 20th, 2007, 06:55 AM
And that answers my questions?

Oh, and Elon #21 in the final SN rankings...Citadel where? Just a thought.

Rankings, that's your come back? Rankings are pretty much a popularity contest.

But, I think the 42-31 game was one game you needed to make the playoffs. Your welcome and (as appaholic would call us) our bellhops will provide the same service every year.

ElonPride
December 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Rankings, that's your come back? Rankings are pretty much a popularity contest.

But, I think the 42-31 game was one game you needed to make the playoffs. Your welcome and (as appaholic would call us) our bellhops will provide the same service every year.

If rankings are a popularity contest, then shouldn't El Cid have finished WAYYYYY above Elon? I mean, it's been El Cid's argument for years that they're so WELL known nationally, more than any other school in the SoCon! xsmiley_wix

By the way, I mirror GP's statement. Higgins knows Lembo all too well, and you guys plain and simple beat the crap out of us. I do hate that our team has to make the trip to your place 2 years in a row!!! Who's doing the scheduling at the SoCon offices this year?xsmiley_wix

gophoenix
December 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
It's BS that the game didn't go back to your turf. I was looking forward to making the trip. Oh well, I will make my plans for '09.

What stinks is that we have UTC, The Citadel, GSU and App on the road. In essence, not only did the SoCon make us go back to The Citadel. But they are sending us on the road to 3 of the 4 furthest schools from us every other season.

lizrdgizrd
December 20th, 2007, 10:09 AM
What stinks is that we have UTC, The Citadel, GSU and App on the road. In essence, not only did the SoCon make us go back to The Citadel. But they are sending us on the road to 3 of the 4 furthest schools from us every other season.
Well, you're going to have to go to them all anyway, but that's a lot of long trips in one season. :(

citdog
December 20th, 2007, 10:16 AM

bitch, whine, moan, and get blown out by The Citadel is how it's gone the last two seasons at Elon

gophoenix
December 20th, 2007, 10:54 AM
bitch, whine, moan, and get blown out by The Citadel is how it's gone the last two seasons at Elon

Funny, bitch, whine and moan seem to be the three traits represented in all your posts.

citdog
December 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
a longing for Southern Independence seems to be the trait represented in all your posts.

now it's accurate

gophoenix
December 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM
now it's accurate

Depending on what you mean by Southern Independence, I could be game to agree with you.

soweagle
December 20th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Coco Hillary

citdog
December 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Coco Hillary

the football name game thread is a few down

soweagle
December 20th, 2007, 04:45 PM
the football name game thread is a few down

You asked and I delivered. Quit spinning like a liberal, your momma taught you better.

citdog
December 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
You asked and I delivered. Quit spinning like a liberal, your momma taught you better.

nnnnnooooooooooooooo soweagle we were looking for.........

Devon Moore. DEEVVONN MOORE.

thanks for playing.....lovely parting gifts etc etc

soweagle
December 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM
nnnnnooooooooooooooo soweagle we were looking for.........

Devon Moore. DEEVVONN MOORE.

thanks for playing.....lovely parting gifts etc etc

Soweagle-0
Attention span-1

How's that!!!:D

CID1990
December 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM

I got the numbers from the Elon, ASU and GSU websites. It is possible that in the Elon - GSU game, I may have neglected to subtract for penalties. All I did was add Foster's total yards rushing and total yards passing. My math is correct, so the dispute should be from the source, but I would submit that I pulled all the numbers directly from the box score stats on the home teams' websites.

That being said, you have totally missed the point of the thread.

It was suggested by a GSU fan that Bart Blanchard had not yet been tested, and might not be able to handle pressure. I simply pointed out that in terms of total offense, Bart performed better than Jayson Foster in both contests where GSU and The Citadel had common opponents when Blanchard started, i.e: ASU and Elon. Your argument that my numbers for Foster are inflated in the GSU-Elon game merely bolsters my original point. My post really had nothing to do with Elon or ASU, so stop acting like a GSU fan... it doesn't become you.

ElonPride
December 21st, 2007, 09:46 PM
I got the numbers from the Elon, ASU and GSU websites. It is possible that in the Elon - GSU game, I may have neglected to subtract for penalties. All I did was add Foster's total yards rushing and total yards passing. My math is correct, so the dispute should be from the source, but I would submit that I pulled all the numbers directly from the box score stats on the home teams' websites.

It was suggested by a GSU fan that Bart Blanchard had not yet been tested, and might not be able to handle pressure. I simply pointed out that in terms of total offense, Bart performed better than Jayson Foster in both contests where GSU and The Citadel had common opponents when Blanchard started, i.e: ASU and Elon. Your argument that my numbers for Foster are inflated in the GSU-Elon game merely bolsters my original point. My post really had nothing to do with Elon or ASU, so stop acting like a GSU fan... it doesn't become you.

I don't care about the point you were trying to make, I got your point.....but you really need to check your numbers before you post. I caught your statistical comedy of errors for the Elon and ASU games right off the bat. You just don't read the sources correctly. Math obviously doesn't become you (ie 74+55 = 178? or 30 X 2.5 + 55 = 178?).....leave anything with numbers to Elon, App, Woffy and Furman.

Jayson Foster also saw an Elon defense near full strength, your good freshman QB did not. If you want to talk numbers, please look at all aspects and variables before you post. If not, it seriously makes you look ignorant.

seantaylor
December 21st, 2007, 11:53 PM

Lets not forget that both of those teams had ZERO game film on Blanchard, and probably never even mentioned his name during practice. They were probably playing 8-9 in the box because they had zero respect for him. Now, on the other hand, the WHOLE gameplan revolved around stopping Foster. See a difference?

CID1990
December 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
I don't care about the point you were trying to make, I got your point.....but you really need to check your numbers before you post. I caught your statistical comedy of errors for the Elon and ASU games right off the bat. You just don't read the sources correctly. Math obviously doesn't become you (ie 74+55 = 178? or 30 X 2.5 + 55 = 178?).....leave anything with numbers to Elon, App, Woffy and Furman.

Jayson Foster also saw an Elon defense near full strength, your good freshman QB did not. If you want to talk numbers, please look at all aspects and variables before you post. If not, it seriously makes you look ignorant.

ElonPride, I went back and looked again, and you are correct. I left out lost yardage on JF in all the games. That being said, it should have been easy to look at the numbers and see what I did. Correcting for the mistake, it makes the gap even wider.

That doesn't mean that I was digging at Elon, but if you want to make excuses for why you lost to The Citadel, then be my guest. Your team still took a ride on the failboat to the tune of 42-31. Go ahead and trumpet your final record. If you had been in the SoCon long enough, you would know that El Cid doesn't do well in the rankings, regardless of how well we play or what our record is.

08Dawg
December 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM

Could you be any more of a snob? CID1990 is trying to make a valid statistical analysis of the games and all you're doing is being petty and condescending. Ok, maybe his numbers are off, but he's already explained that he took the stats from Elon's and GSU's websites. Geez...quite nitpicking, try to discuss this logically, and quit making excuses.

ElonPride
December 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
try to discuss this logically, and quit making excuses.

Hmmm......so you can discuss a topic logically with incorrect stats and not including all variables?xeyebrowx

Wow! That's news to me!

Yes he took the stats from the GSU and Elon sites, but he/she obviously didn't correctly read the boxscore. If you're going to take up for your buddy, please also know what you're talking about.

I was also one nearly the entire season that said El Cid should be ranked.

CID1990
December 23rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hmmm......so you can discuss a topic logically with incorrect stats and not including all variables?xeyebrowx

Wow! That's news to me!

Yes he took the stats from the GSU and Elon sites, but he/she obviously didn't correctly read the boxscore. If you're going to take up for your buddy, please also know what you're talking about.

I was also one nearly the entire season that said El Cid should be ranked.

....and mistakenly overstating Jayson Foster's stats in both of those games invalidated my argument how?

If I had UNDERstated Jayson Foster's stats, then you would be correct in saying that my argument held less or no validity.

I'll go back to my original point before the interrpution from Mr. Elon Pocket Protector:

Bart Blanchard can handle the pressure of starting against quality teams.

ElonPride
December 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM
....and mistakenly overstating Jayson Foster's stats in both of those games invalidated my argument how?

If I had UNDERstated Jayson Foster's stats, then you would be correct in saying that my argument held less or no validity.

I'll go back to my original point before the interrpution from Mr. Elon Pocket Protector:

Bart Blanchard can handle the pressure of starting against quality teams.

Once again, kudos to El Cid having a good game plan versus Elon......but you did face an injury laden Elon D. Like I said earlier, look at all the variables before you make a post. So, as you should be able to easily see, your arguement does hold less validity.

Blanchard seems like he will be a good QB though.

CID1990
December 23rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Once again, kudos to El Cid having a good game plan versus Elon......but you did face an injury laden Elon D. Like I said earlier, look at all the variables before you make a post. So, as you should be able to easily see, your arguement does hold less validity.

Blanchard seems like he will be a good QB though.

By that time in the season, EVERYONE is injury laden. We lost two key defensive players before the season even started. None of the El Cid fans on here ever brought that up as a reason for why JF broke a couple runs on us when we lost to GSU. There are reasons for the numbers and then there are excuses for the numbers. Rather than saying you had injuries (an excuse) why not just say that you weren't all that DEEP on defense (a reason)? You don't hear The Citadel's fans whining about injuries, the fact that other teams keyed on our weaknesses, etc etc.

Blanchard will put up big numbers next season, but if he is hurt, you won't be hearing excuses when we lose. We'll just go to the next guy in our stable.

ElonPride
December 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
By that time in the season, EVERYONE is injury laden. We lost two key defensive players before the season even started. None of the El Cid fans on here ever brought that up as a reason for why JF broke a couple runs on us when we lost to GSU. There are reasons for the numbers and then there are excuses for the numbers. Rather than saying you had injuries (an excuse) why not just say that you weren't all that DEEP on defense (a reason)? You don't hear The Citadel's fans whining about injuries, the fact that other teams keyed on our weaknesses, etc etc.

Blanchard will put up big numbers next season, but if he is hurt, you won't be hearing excuses when we lose. We'll just go to the next guy in our stable.

It's not about me making excuses, it's about looking at a total view before you even start to make a comparison of two players versus 2 common opponents. Sorry, but that's just common sense. Sorry if I sound like a "snob," but that's just simple logic (unlike what your boy said a few posts back).

Like I said earlier, kudos to beating the crap out of us. You had a great game plan. I just hate that we have to travel to El Cid 2 years in a row......THANK YOU SAMFORD :)

Mountaineer#96
December 23rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
So happy that Samford can come into the conference and pick up where Elon left off these past couple of years. WELCOME SAMFORD!!!xlolx Since the private school in Burlington has played better and left the doormat available to the Samford pups. Well Western is down there too but that is another story.

THE CADETS OF THE Citadel will be down in Alabama beating the clay off the other Bulldogs in the conference in no time at all.

ElonPride
December 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM
So happy that Samford can come into the conference and pick up where Elon left off these past couple of years. WELCOME SAMFORD!!!xlolx Since the private school in Burlington has played better and left the doormat available to the Samford pups. Well Western is down there too but that is another story.

THE CADETS OF THE Citadel will be down in Alabama beating the clay off the other Bulldogs in the conference in no time at all.

BTW, Elon is NOT in Burlington! xsmiley_wix