PDA

View Full Version : REDSHIRT QUESTION

appman111
December 12th, 2007, 04:37 PM
In FCS, is it possible to redshirt a player even after they played in the first game if they don't touch the field after that? I have heard this was true and I have a $20 bet on it.

oh and I need some sort of proof is this is true

ERASU2113
December 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Apparently the only way one could still claim a redshirt after playing in a game is by petioning for a medical redshirt. However, the only way one could get that is if they participate in only 3 games during the season.

GGASU
December 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
In FCS, is it possible to redshirt a player even after they played in the first game if they don't touch the field after that? I have heard this was true and I have a $20 bet on it.

Medical redshirt yes. The player can play up to 20% of the teams season.

Normal Redshirt No.

http://www.ncaa.org/eligibility/faqs/faqs_eligibility_seasons.html

"You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition."

appman111
December 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM
The bet was regarding #8 Brian Quick, who only played against Michigan...dropped TD pass and blocked the kick. He didn't play a snap after that game. The coaching staff is planning on redshirting him, are they not?

asudan22
December 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM
i don't know but i was wondering the same thing myself. He had to get hurt or something

appfan2008
December 12th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Corey Lynch redshirted the 04 season after playing well in the first 2 games but that was obviously for an injury... just thought i would throw my 2 cents in...

WVAPPmountaineer
December 12th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I believe Quick also played in our first home game as well - I believe they have listed him out for the season with either a back or shoulder injury ---

ERASU2113
December 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I believe Quick also played in our first home game as well - I believe they have listed him out for the season with either a back or shoulder injury ---

Yea I think you're right. I remember him being banged up, along with half of the team, after Michigan. Probably never fully healed or needed some surgery?

smallcollegefbfan
December 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM
The bet was regarding #8 Brian Quick, who only played against Michigan...dropped TD pass and blocked the kick. He didn't play a snap after that game. The coaching staff is planning on redshirting him, are they not?

Someone around there told me that they decided to redshirt him because they saw he was not ready to be a go-to guy yet. He was also banged up. Both of those reasons are why he redshirted. He will be a redshirt freshman next year.

clearthinker
December 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Someone around there told me that they decided to redshirt him because they saw he was not ready to be a go-to guy yet. He was also banged up. Both of those reasons are why he redshirted. He will be a redshirt freshman next year.

If it is a medical redshirt you have to apply to the NCAA to have it approved--since he played against Michigan that is his only avenue to gain a year of eligibility

I-AA Fan
December 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM

No, not true. You play a single snap & there is no red shirt. Now a medical hardship is a different story.

texcap
December 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM
If it is a medical redshirt you have to apply to the NCAA to have it approved--since he played against Michigan that is his only avenue to gain a year of eligibility

Not quite. Medical hardship waivers (aka as a medical redshirt) are granted by the conference of the requesting team. If the team is an independent (such as Navy in FBS or Savanah State in FCS) then the NCAA makes the decision. If a conference denies the waiver the school can appeal that denial to the NCAA which can overrule the conference.

The rule is in Bylaw 14.2.4 of the NCAA manual ( http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2004-05/2004-05_d1_manual.pdf )

Here is the section:

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Academics/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet for reasons of “hardship.” Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions: (Revised: 8/8/02)

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution or occurs subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school; (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 11/01/01, 8/8/02)

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition not exceeding the maximum limitations in each sport as set forth in Bylaw 17 as set prior to the first scheduled contest or date of competition of the designated official NCAA championship playing season in the applicable sport) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 4/3/02)

(c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 20 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled competition (including exempted events except for scrimmages and exhibition contests identified as such in the legislation) against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. (Revised: 1/10/92, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 3/10/04)

I-AA Fan
December 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM
This is from the NCAA:

Currently, as explicitly stated in the extension legislation [NCAA Bylaw 30.6.1.2 (d)] (attached), a redshirt year is considered within the control of the student-athlete or the institution and is, thus, considered a participation opportunity.

For example:

1999-00; student-athlete redshirts.

2000-01; competes.

2001-02; competes.

2002-03; competes.

2003-04; did not compete. Student-athlete tore his ACL and, thus, was incapacitated for entire season.

In this case, since the student-athlete redshirted during his first season of eligibility and then suffered an incapacitating injury or illness that prevented competition during another season, the extension request is denied. Specifically, the case is denied because the student-athlete was not denied more the one participation opportunity during his five-year period of eligibility and had four participation opportunities within his five-year period of eligibility (redshirt year is one of the four participation opportunities).

Please note this change went into effect for student athletes that were freshman during or after 2001.

texcap
December 13th, 2007, 08:55 AM
No, not true. You play a single snap & there is no red shirt. Now a medical hardship is a different story.

That is correct, unless it goes back to the medical hardship waiver.

Here is the section that covers this from the NCAA Manual ( http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2004-05/2004-05_d1_manual.pdf ):

14.2.3 Criteria for Determining Season of Eligibility
14.2.3.1 Minimum Amount of Competition. Any competition , [I]regardless of time, during a season in an intercollegiate sport shall be counted as a season of competition in that sport. This provision is applicable to intercollegiate athletics competition conducted by a two-year or four-year collegiate institution at the varsity or subvarsity level. (See Bylaw 14.2.3.1.2) (Revised: 1/11/94)