PDA

View Full Version : Two Colgate Football Players Arrested For Burglary

Franks Tanks
December 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Including star running back Jordan Scott.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=cd7848c3-74a9-4120-a22f-3718d64d638c

Any Colgate guys know what going on here?

TheValleyRaider
December 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I'm not in Hamilton, so that's the first I've heard of it

Certainly doesn't sound good....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Geez. xnonono2x

I'll wait for all the facts to come out on this case - it seems incomprehensible that Scott could be involved, a seemingly good kid whom I met at PL Media Day - but if true, it proves resoundingly that no school is immune.

Fordham
December 12th, 2007, 09:40 AM
yep, let's hope that there's alot more to this story and that it involves a false accusation.

Go...gate
December 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Damn! xnonono2x

Colleagues, I hope we can all remember, and display to Colgate, the fairness afforded to our Delaware colleagues when they had some difficulty last year. As with UD's fine program, if Colgate's episode is indeed as bad as it sounds, it should not tarnish the reputation of the school or football program and the many kids in that program who work hard and stay out of trouble.

Rjm7272
December 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Article from the Syracuse paper (http://www.syracuse.com/articles/localcolleges/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1197453536227481.xml)

I was on campus when the burglary happened, but did not know it was these two until I read it in the paper this morning

The paper gave slighly more detail...both are currently suspended from the football team, but still enrolled in school. Academic status to be determined by the Student Conduct Board, football status after that...

andy7171
December 12th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Oh the things we do after a night of drinking!

This will blow over in time, no worries.

Franks Tanks
December 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Damn! xnonono2x

Colleagues, I hope we can all remember, and display to Colgate, the fairness afforded to our Delaware colleagues when they had some difficulty last year. As with UD's fine program, if Colgate's episode is indeed as bad as it sounds, it should not tarnish the reputation of the school or football program and the many kids in that program who work hard and stay out of trouble.

Yes, hopefully it is some sort of college prank that got out of hand or a mis-understanding. But I think this happens to just about every program every once in a while. Lafayette had a former player in some very hot legal trouble a few years back.

Marcus Garvey
December 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Just once, instead of the petty blue collar crimes like underage drinking, DUI, burglary and assault, I want to see some football players get busted for white-collar crimes. I'd love to see the Harvard QB nailed for insider trading. Or maybe some Georgetown lineman get caught counterfeiting. I saw that some Colgate players were arrested, and got my hopes up. I'm severely disappointed. Going to a great school like Colgate, and that's the best you can do??? Shame on you xnonox

blukeys
December 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Damn! xnonono2x

Colgate is a fine school with a well deserved reputation for excellence. Coach Biddle is a class act. We seem to be seeing more and more of these things and I wonder if it is a change in society or more consistent and robust enforcement by law enforcement.

Years back it was always rumored that football players got off the hook for certain violations and allowed the coaches to enforce behaviour standards as opposed to punishment by the judicial system. I don't know how true that is.

What is true is that with the internet no athlete can avoid scrutiny. Let's hope that as the facts come out that this is not as bad as it appears. If it is, I am sure that Coach Biddle and Colgate will take appropriate action.

LBPop
December 12th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I have followed Scott's career since high school as he played against LBKid. I always heard good things about Jordan, so I am hoping (as are we all) that this is less than it now appears.

TwinTownBisonFan
December 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Just once, instead of the petty blue collar crimes like underage drinking, DUI, burglary and assault, I want to see some football players get busted for white-collar crimes. I'd love to see the Harvard QB nailed for insider trading. Or maybe some Georgetown lineman get caught counterfeiting. I saw that some Colgate players were arrested, and got my hopes up. I'm severely disappointed. Going to a great school like Colgate, and that's the best you can do??? Shame on you xnonox

heh... counterfeiting... paging the UND hockey team *ding ding*
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

andy7171
December 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I have followed Scott's career since high school as he played against LBKid. I always heard good things about Jordan, so I am hoping (as are we all) that this is less than it now appears.

He had a nice career at DeMatha.

Seriously though until the specifics of the case are disclosed, these guys could have just been screwing around doing something they knew better to be doing. Every campus police are notoriously ball breakers.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Seriously though until the specifics of the case are disclosed, these guys could have just been screwing around doing something they knew better to be doing. Every campus police are notoriously ball breakers.

I really hope so.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I will be posting some extra info on the incident when I find out any more details:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

I do have a blog post which summarized what I know, posted now.

TheValleyRaider
December 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Never had to deal with them directly, but Campus Safety certainly has those types among them.

The unfortunate thing is that they seem to have been caught by Hamilton Police, who have the reputation of being far tougher on the students than Campus Safety is.

LehighFan11
December 12th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hopefully they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't actually have anything to do with the burglary. It's horrible to see these young kids with so much potential get caught up in trouble.

AZGrizFan
December 12th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Colgate is a fine school with a well deserved reputation for excellence. Coach Biddle is a class act. We seem to be seeing more and more of these things and I wonder if it is a change in society or more consistent and robust enforcement by law enforcement.

Years back it was always rumored that football players got off the hook for certain violations and allowed the coaches to enforce behaviour standards as opposed to punishment by the judicial system. I don't know how true that is.

What is true is that with the internet no athlete can avoid scrutiny. Let's hope that as the facts come out that this is not as bad as it appears. If it is, I am sure that Coach Biddle and Colgate will take appropriate action.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that that's how Moscow Idaho operated when it related to Vandal football players while I was there in the mid-80's. Gilbertson would pat the cops on the back, and the cops would hand over the players for Gilbertson to allegedly hand out punishment (which usually amounted to nothing). A large number of players truly WERE vandals. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xmadx xnonox xnonox xnonox

carney2
December 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I will be posting some extra info on the incident when I find out any more details:

I do have a blog post which summarized what I know, posted now.

Thanks, LFN. Your blog sustains hope that this is more in the area of a prank than the publicly labeled burglary.

DC 'gater
December 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I can tell you with 100% certainty that that's how Moscow Idaho operated when it related to Vandal football players while I was there in the mid-80's. Gilbertson would pat the cops on the back, and the cops would hand over the players for Gilbertson to allegedly hand out punishment (which usually amounted to nothing). A large number of players truly WERE vandals. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xmadx xnonox xnonox xnonox

I can tell you this, between 1988 and 1992, that did not happen. The rubber guns up there saw it as a badge of honor to "bag" a football player or a hockey player. Then they would turn them over to "Hamilton's Finest" that really had an adversarial relationship with the students.

The head of campus security up there now was a regular officer back then. Very limited law enforcement training and sort of an a$#.

I hope this is some kind of misunderstanding or some prank, but I just have a sinking feeling about the way its going thus far.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2007, 07:46 PM
AP has picked up the story and added a few more details:

Where's the "larceny"?

Franks Tanks
December 12th, 2007, 08:36 PM
AP has picked up the story and added a few more details:

Where's the "larceny"?

Ya, this doesnt really seem like a huge incident. Most of us probably did many rather stupid things like trying to break down dorm room doors --ok maybe that was just me, but it just seems like some drunken hi-jinks and they didnt mean any harm.

Rjm7272
December 13th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Article in today's Post Standard (http://www.syracuse.com/poststandard/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1197539861208080.xml&coll=1)

Appearantly Scott admitted to it, but Morgan denied in their statements to the police...They had thought the room was empty (as they were trying to get into vacent rooms to steal money??), but were suprised by the room's occupants when they woke up.

Guess we'll have to see how this all plays out....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. This is looking bad now - this is clearly not a college prank or anything like that.

"I think it will be handled correctly. I think the university does a thorough job," Colgate football coach Dick Biddle said Wednesday. "It's in the correct hands. We'll see what happens."

Asked if he was concerned about losing the talents of Scott, who paced [FCS] rushers with 1,875 yards this season, Biddle said, "I'm confident we have a good football team here, and we'll win."

It's up to the administrators now on the Student Conduct board. What an utter shame.

Franks Tanks
December 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. This is looking bad now - this is clearly not a college prank or anything like that.

It's up to the administrators now on the Student Conduct board. What an utter shame.

Yes I will ammend my prior post--not a prank, they broke in with the intent to steal--not good

Lafayette71
December 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM
When I read that they had broken into a dorm room I was thinking prank. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case.

While there is no excuse for such actions if the accusations are proven true, this will likely dredge up the old discussion about whether student athletes should get spending allowances since they are not allowed to work, or changing the system to allow student athletes to get part time jobs if they chose to do so.

Go...gate
December 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Damn fool kids. xnonono2x

Fordham
December 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Ugh!

JayJ79
December 13th, 2007, 01:46 PM
And another example of why it's a good idea to lock your dorm room.
You never know when some drunk and/or stupid and/or malicious person might decide to wander around checking for unlocked rooms.

Marcus Garvey
December 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM
And another example of why it's a good idea to lock your dorm room.
You never know when some drunk and/or stupid and/or malicious person might decide to wander around checking for unlocked rooms.

Better still... another reason to avoid dorms! I only lived in one my freshman year. No f'ing thank you again! After that I lived in either on or off-campus apartments.

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM
You mean this type of thing happens at schools outside of Montana? Hmm...xchinscratchx

LBPop
December 13th, 2007, 02:05 PM
or changing the system to allow student athletes to get part time jobs if they chose to do so.

I'm not sure there is a restriction on part time jobs if the athlete is not on scholarship (and they are not at Colgate). I would love to hear if someone out there knows. As for the event, it is sounding more and more like one of those stupid moves that neither kid would have made on their own or sober. But the power of a "buddy" and/or alcohol can be tough to resist. If they did do this, I hope losing some football time is all that they suffer.

Franks Tanks
December 13th, 2007, 02:41 PM
You mean this type of thing happens at schools outside of Montana? Hmm...xchinscratchx

Yes but its not on a monthly basis

carney2
December 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure there is a restriction on part time jobs if the athlete is not on scholarship (and they are not at Colgate). I would love to hear if someone out there knows. As for the event, it is sounding more and more like one of those stupid moves that neither kid would have made on their own or sober. But the power of a "buddy" and/or alcohol can be tough to resist. If they did do this, I hope losing some football time is all that they suffer.

I read somewhere - I think on the Colgate board - that there was no alcohol involved. Dredging up an unprovable comment - also from the Colgate Board, I think - the whole scenario makes it sound like something they had done before.

JayJ79
December 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Better still... another reason to avoid dorms! I only lived in one my freshman year. No f'ing thank you again! After that I lived in either on or off-campus apartments.

I didn't mind it when I was in school.
Yeah, there were a few things that caused some headaches, but all in all, it wasn't bad.

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Yes but its not on a monthly basis

Well I have killed people, but not on a monthly basis or anything. xrolleyesx

LBPop
December 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Well I have killed people, but not on a monthly basis or anything. xrolleyesx

So what is your normal pace? ;) xlolx

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM
So what is your normal pace? ;) xlolx

Whenever it's necessary. :p

TheValleyRaider
December 13th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I read somewhere - I think on the Colgate board - that there was no alcohol involved. Dredging up an unprovable comment - also from the Colgate Board, I think - the whole scenario makes it sound like something they had done before.

One of the articles, I think already posted in the thread, says the two hadn't been drinking

nevadagriz
December 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM
This truly sucks for the team and the school. I can't beleive how often crap like this happens at schools across the country truly sadxsmhx

Remember we all live in glass houses, your school could be next!

Go...gate
December 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Coach Biddle is keeping a stiff upper lip. This must be very tough for him.

LBPop
December 14th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Coach Biddle is keeping a stiff upper lip. This must be very tough for him.

Good point. I have always heard that he's a class guy and my guess is that he is close to his players.

Go...gate
December 14th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Certainly the word over on the Colgate VoyForums Board is not very encouraging.

Go...gate
December 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
All remains quiet on this. I believe the University is now on winter break, which means (probably) nothing until after January 1, 2008.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 17th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I think the disciplinary hearing is set for Jan 7th (any 'gater out there can correct me if I'm wrong).

Go...gate
December 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Did not know that, many thanks. :)

Go...gate
December 26th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Still quiet on this.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
No word yet on any hearings, but there was (finally!) a piece in the Colgate Maroon News today on this:

Campus Break-In Activates Emergency Network for First Time
http://media.www.maroon-news.com/media/storage/paper742/news/2008/01/24/News/Campus.BreakIn.Activates.Emergency.Network.For.Fir st.Time-3165008.shtml

At about 1:00 a.m. on December 9, just before winter break, Colgate students received a text message generated by the e2Campus emergency notification system. The alert resulted from a larceny attempt in an unlocked Russell House room in which two students were asleep. The event further prompted notifications across campus to ensure the attention of the community. In the aftermath, two Colgate football players were arrested in connection to the event.

This was the first case in which the e2Campus notification system was implemented since its purchase by the University. Set up to rapidly alert students of any situations on campus, the message system is part of Colgate's emergency response plan.

Students have reacted to the event in numerous ways. Across campus, anonymous red posters were hung up urging students to ponder the event and whether there is an issue of race in the matter.

"Given that race matters in the society that we live in, I can see why some students raise the issue," Johnson said. "However, race has not been a factor in the University's handling of this case, period. Nor would I allow it to be."

Some students have reacted by being more cautious and aware of the possible dangers that face them in their dorm rooms.

"I have become a little more cautious since this incident, locking my door even if I'm gone for two minutes," first-year John Lyon said, "but at the same time I've never really felt like there's been a concern for my safety on this campus."

As for the students involved in the incident, disciplinary actions are still being debated.

For now, legal action is still pending on the arrests made, and it is unclear what may follow. However, the University has gained valuable experience on the handling of an urgent situation.

"We're making efforts to make this a safe campus," Johnson said. "Safety is the number-one priority. I just want to remind folks that it will take us all working together to ensure that this is the safest environment possible."

Bottom line, it seems to be some sort of incident on campus, but the information - and the issue of whether Scott will be suspended - is still jumbled and sketchy.

Go...gate
January 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Injecting race into this is pure crap. The bottom line is that two players screwed up big time. I don't care what they are, if they broke the rules they must be punished. If race results in the whole incident being brushed under the carpet, Colgate has made a major mistake.

TheValleyRaider
January 24th, 2008, 07:28 PM
No word yet on any hearings, but there was (finally!) a piece in the Colgate Maroon News today on this:

In fairness to the M-N, the break-in happened during Finals Week (after they print their last issue of the semester), and this is their first issue of the Spring semester. So today is really the first day you could have seen anything. It is only a weekly paper.

The stuff about race seems to have been injected by students, not the administration in this case. More a commentary on certain students, but it is what it is. Perhaps it's the cynic in me that says it wouldn't surprise me if the administration privately involved race, but at this point I'm willing to trust that they won't.

Bottom line, it seems to be some sort of incident on campus, but the information - and the issue of whether Scott will be suspended - is still jumbled and sketchy.

The real story (to the M-N) is that this was an activation of the school's alert system (put in after the Virginia Tech shooting last spring). They added that it was 2 football players, but really that quote was only included because that's what made the national news. They couldn't ignore that point. I'm guessing that proceedings regarding Scott and Morgan at the University level are being kept private, so there's nothing they could report.

Go...gate
February 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Notwithstanding the pending charges, Scott was named Colgate's Offensive Player of the Year at Saturday night's Colgate football banquet in Hamilton.

Syntax Error
February 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Notwithstanding the pending charges, Scott was named Colgate's Offensive Player of the Year at Saturday night's Colgate football banquet in Hamilton.Wow, that shouldn't have happened unless they are sure he will be exonerated. Bad precedence IMO.

Go...gate
February 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I agree.

TheValleyRaider
February 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
It's entirely possible this has been resolved already

School's been back for 3 weeks now, and the University has made almost no public acknowledgement of the case at all. I can't believe these two would be allowed at the banquet like that if they were still in serious trouble. It suggests to me that this has been handled internally, and they're probably on some form of suspension/probation.

Of course, this could also be pending proceedings in the Village of Hamilton, which may not have even taken place yet. Not a lot of noise coming out right now xreadx

LBPop
February 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Wow, that shouldn't have happened unless they are sure he will be exonerated. Bad precedence IMO.

My gut reaction is the same as yours, however I'm not sure what else the school could have done. Assuming that Scott has been charged, but not yet convicted of a crime, how do you withhold the award? The banquet has been scheduled, the award is given every year, and Scott was clearly the MVP on offense. I think that the school had little choice.

DetroitFlyer
February 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I hear we have an interesting concept in our legal system, innocent until proven guilty. Too often schools are quick to hang an athlete out to dry in a case like this, because it is the easy thing to do.... You just might remember a little incident down in NC....

Hats off to Colgate for not taking the easy way out! Hopefully, the Colgate decision to award the honor is a result of calm heads and rational decision making that is far too uncommon in this day and age of being PC at all costs!

Go...gate
February 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I hear we have an interesting concept in our legal system, innocent until proven guilty. Too often schools are quick to hang an athlete out to dry in a case like this, because it is the easy thing to do.... You just might remember a little incident down in NC....

Hats off to Colgate for not taking the easy way out! Hopefully, the Colgate decision to award the honor is a result of calm heads and rational decision making that is far too uncommon in this day and age of being PC at all costs!

I hope you are right, Flyer, and this is just a tempest in a teapot. From what I understand, however, it is not.

DLS
February 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM

I couldnt agree more. kids in the US are maturing slower nowadays and i struggle to refer someone under the age of 21 as an "adult".

As far as being someone who used to make stupid decisions like this, it is way to quick and easy for a college kid to F'up the next 5-10 yrs of his life. I think these guys should be punished to a point that it will deter them from repeating this behavior but not permenantley affect their record.

i say keep them on the team.

colorless raider
February 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I couldnt agree more. kids in the US are maturing slower nowadays and i struggle to refer someone under the age of 21 as an "adult".

As far as being someone who used to make stupid decisions like this, it is way to quick and easy for a college kid to F'up the next 5-10 yrs of his life. I think these guys should be punished to a point that it will deter them from repeating this behavior but not permenantley affect their record.

i say keep them on the team.

I agree with DLS and the innocent until proven guilty remark. Who knows what will happen? Go 'Gate!

ngineer
February 11th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Ironic, though, that if the same offense is committed by a 'young adult' in town, the guy is going down, and everyone yells about 'throwing away the key'...

andy7171
February 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM

Notwithstanding the pending charges, Scott was named Colgate's Offensive Player of the Year at Saturday night's Colgate football banquet in Hamilton.
Good. He was the best player on the team last year. This happened after the season and shouldn't take away from his acheivements. Especially since he is still considered innocent.

Wow, that shouldn't have happened unless they are sure he will be exonerated. Bad precedence IMO.
Why? If you won 5 gold medals at the Olympics and 2 months later get pulled over for DUI, does the Olympic Committee strip you of your medals?

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
February 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
It's entirely possible this has been resolved already

School's been back for 3 weeks now, and the University has made almost no public acknowledgement of the case at all. I can't believe these two would be allowed at the banquet like that if they were still in serious trouble. It suggests to me that this has been handled internally, and they're probably on some form of suspension/probation.

Of course, this could also be pending proceedings in the Village of Hamilton, which may not have even taken place yet. Not a lot of noise coming out right now xreadx

Hopefully this is now behind the players, the University and the team and everyone can move forward on a positive note.

Go...gate
February 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Ironic, though, that if the same offense is committed by a 'young adult' in town, the guy is going down, and everyone yells about 'throwing away the key'...

Not this Colgate alum. Call me old-school, but I think they both should be kicked out. I love Colgate football, but I want players and students who are good citizens.

TheValleyRaider
February 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hopefully this is now behind the players, the University and the team and everyone can move forward on a positive note.

That's the unfortunate thing. We don't really know if this is past, or if we're still waiting for the proverbial poop to hit the fan. I'm only guessing based on what I know about how Colgate operates (which given I just graduated from there is surprisingly little, actually xeyebrowx ).

As much as I would like to think this is actually over, I could not make such a statement in good conscience.

TheValleyRaider
February 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Not this Colgate alum. Call me old-school, but I think they both should be kicked out. I love Colgate football, but I want players and students who are good citizens.

Certainly a respectable position in my book xpeacex

I just want to know they'll be treated like any other student in a similar situation. With all the things I saw happen to people while I was there, I don't really know what the procedure is for this kind of incident. If this were a non-athlete, and their punishment was expulsion, then so be it for Scott and Morgan. If their punishment is probation of some sort, then let it be that. Their status as football players should not come into play in this situation.

TheValleyRaider
March 25th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Colgate's Spring Prospectus is out (I know, we have a prospectus, shocking)

Not only are Scott and Morgan both on the roster, but Scott is pictured on the first page. The only player there. Suggests to me that the situation is either resolved with some kind of University probation (not announced to the public) or that the school is letting them stay on the team until the case is handled in Village of Hamilton Court xtwocentsx

Spring Prospectus for the interested (warning-it's a PDF file): http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/Pdfs/football/2008/3/24/2008%20SPRING%20FOOTBALL%20GUIDE%20(2).pdf (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/Pdfs/football/2008/3/24/2008%20SPRING%20FOOTBALL%20GUIDE%20(2).pdf)

Go...gate
March 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Not exactly thrilled about this....

LBPop
March 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Not exactly thrilled about this....

I'm curious as to why. This kind of thing is such a tough call for an athletic department. If the young men are claiming innocence, it's a tricky decision. If however they have admitted to the robbery(ies) and they're just trying to make a deal, then I would probably be bothered as well.

Go...gate
March 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm curious as to why. This kind of thing is such a tough call for an athletic department. If the young men are claiming innocence, it's a tricky decision. If however they have admitted to the robbery(ies) and they're just trying to make a deal, then I would probably be bothered as well.

I don't know. I wish I could tell you why. Something just seems amiss.

PLLB
March 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM

they did not take anything to my knowledge.

gmoney55
March 25th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I thought they didn't actually take anything.

TheValleyRaider
March 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
They didn't take anything, but they were arrested for breaking and entering plus attempting burglary (or something to that effect). Nothing was actually stolen as the occupants of the dorm room woke up shortly after they entered. The two were identified by the room's residents and at least Scott confessed almost right away.

RadMann
March 25th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hopefully the students can get their act together and move onward from this. Such a waste when young folks throw away so much as a result of stupid decisions such as this.

PLLB
March 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM
They didn't take anything, but they were arrested for breaking and entering plus attempting burglary (or something to that effect). Nothing was actually stolen as the occupants of the dorm room woke up shortly after they entered. The two were identified by the room's residents and at least Scott confessed almost right away.

actually they did not break into the room the door was unlocked. If that is the case that is just trespassing. From what I hear Scott did not confess that was a incorrect statement that was published in the paper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ngineer
March 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM

actually they did not break into the room the door was unlocked. If that is the case that is just trespassing. From what I hear Scott did not confess that was a incorrect statement that was published in the paper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

burglary does not require the taking of anything. It is the unlawful entry for the purpose of commiting a crime. Theft is the actual unlawful taking of property.

PLLB
March 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
well anyway scott and morgan are on the team now and spring practice starts in a couple of days. This should be a very good season for the raiders.

already123
March 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
these guys from montana?

Go...gate
March 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM
well anyway scott and morgan are on the team now and spring practice starts in a couple of days. This should be a very good season for the raiders.

Putting the issue aside for a moment, counting Scott, at least 16 starters return. An encouraging sign. We have a fine schedule as well this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I hope Scott moves on with his life too - but there are way too many unanswered questions here. I like Scott - I've actually met the kid - and was incredulous that he had gotten involved with something like this. But just mysteriously appearing in the media guide as if nothing had happened isn't enough of an explanation, IMO. What happened to the disciplinary hearing? Did it ever convene? What was the outcome?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
No April Fool - he's working out in Spring Ball.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=scott-on-field-for-colgate-spring-practi&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

eaglesrthe1
April 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Damn! xnonono2x

The school doesn't get tarnished by the idiots actions. The school gets tarnished by their reactions. Kids can be stupid, and no school is immune.

Go...gate
April 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Colgate VoyForums board now indicating that it is apparantly now official and that the matter is concluded. Scott remains on the team.

Fordham
April 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Colgate VoyForums board now indicating that it is apparantly now official and that the matter is concluded. Scott remains on the team.
xthumbsupx Congrats Go..gate and I hope Scott does great things in his life with this 2nd chance. Given Colgate and Biddle's reputations, you'd have to believe that there was more to this story than how it played out in the media and that he's deserving of this opportunity. Again, congrats Gate fans!

colorless raider
April 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM

The Voy forum is hardly the court reporter and I have seen no announcement. I think you are jumping to conclusions. After saying that I hope that is the ultimate conclusion.

ngineer
April 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM

How?

PLLB
April 19th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I hope Scott moves on with his life too - but there are way too many unanswered questions here. I like Scott - I've actually met the kid - and was incredulous that he had gotten involved with something like this. But just mysteriously appearing in the media guide as if nothing had happened isn't enough of an explanation, IMO. What happened to the disciplinary hearing? Did it ever convene? What was the outcome?

why do you think you deserve an explanation?

Go...gate
April 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
How?

Damned if I know. I'm one of the hard-liners that thought he and his pal should have their azzes severely chewed, like kicked off the team, if not kicked out of school altogether. My only hope is if they are indeed reinstated, they shape up and keep in mind what Vince Lombardi told Paul Hornung (this was in David Maraniss' book, When Pride Still Mattered) after Hornung was banned in from the NFL in 1963 for gambling:

"You'd better stay at the foot of the Cross, mister".

Go...gate
April 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM

why do you think you deserve an explanation?

I never met him, but know others who do and they share your opinion that is a good kid. So maybe I'm being a little harsh, but dammit, the kids have to realize they can't do that kind of stuff, especially once they get into the real world. Look, we all had our moments with drinking, chasing girls, raising hell and other mischief. Problem is that this episode really seems like more than simple mischief.

FWIW, I'm not sure I deserve an explanation. But I am not just going to brush it aside, either. Let's face it - one bad brush with the law can ruin a lot of promise for any kid. I have seen it in my work and it can be G-D tragic.

ngineer
April 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Damned if I know. I'm one of the hard-liners that thought he and his pal should have their azzes severely chewed, like kicked off the team, if not kicked out of school altogether. My only hope is if they are indeed reinstated, they shape up and keep in mind what Vince Lombardi told Paul Hornung (this was in David Maraniss' book, When Pride Still Mattered) after Hornung was banned in from the NFL in 1963 for gambling:

"You'd better stay at the foot of the Cross, mister".

My query was primarily due to what I recalled being criminal charges filed. I am assuming they were withdrawn?

Rjm7272
July 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM
There finally was some news on this in today's Post Standard

http://www.syracuse.com/poststandard/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1216198758138190.xml&coll=1

They both apparently pled guilty to a reduced charge, are serving 21 days in jail, will remain students at the university, and will be suspended from one game this coming season

danefan
July 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have to admit I'm sort of surprised that they are only receiving 1 game suspensions. Were they suspended last year at all? I know this has been going on for a while.

andy7171
July 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think it occured after the season around the winter break.

danefan
July 16th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Then I'm ever more suprised at the leniency by the University and football program.

I don't know all of the facts and the circumstances, but from an outside perspective 21 days in jail should get you more than a 1 game suspension.

Franks Tanks
July 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Than I'm ever more suprised at the leniency by the University and football program.

I don't know all of the facts and the circumstances, but from an outside perspective 21 days in jail should get you more than a 1 game suspension.

I agree 21 days in jail is significant. I am surpised it is only one game.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
There finally was some news on this in today's Post Standard

http://www.syracuse.com/poststandard/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1216198758138190.xml&coll=1

They both apparently pled guilty to a reduced charge, are serving 21 days in jail, will remain students at the university, and will be suspended from one game this coming season

Nice catch. It still seems incredible that Scott could have such a lack of judgement like that, but there you have it. Here's hoping that they make the most of their second chances (except at Murray Goodman, of course).

Seawolf97
July 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
The one game suspension seems light. But 21 days in jail is about right. Obviously they were guilty and fessed up to it. How will that impact their futures beyond college ?

Go...gate
July 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I'm happy to hear this. If they really do 21 days (in a real correctional facility, not in Wampsville, the Madison County Seat), I think it will leave an indelible impression. IMO, Colgate did not do enough. They should have been expelled.

Franks Tanks
July 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I'm happy to hear this. If they really do 21 days (in a real correctional facility, not in Wampsville, the Madison County Seat), I think it will leave an indelible impression. IMO, Colgate did not do enough. They should have been expelled.

That is very big of you to say that considering one is the star of your team.

colorless raider
July 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks Judge "Goody Two Shoes".

danefan
July 16th, 2008, 11:56 AM

As per NYS Dept. of Corrections inmate lookup, both are currently in custody in the Madison County Jail.

Go...gate
July 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks Judge "Goody Two Shoes".

You're welcome. As much as I love Colgate football, the integrity and reputation of Colgate University, and the safety of its students, are bigger than its G-D football team. I don't care if he gains 300 yards a game.

Grizzaholic
July 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM
The University should of done more but if they spend the full 21 days in jail it might be the best thing for them. It might open up their eyes to see the road and pick the correct path to follow. I don't think the University should have expelled them. One would want them to stay in school and graduate. Not saying everybody that graduates college is a perfect human being but it can certinally help one out in the long run.

Tribe4SF
July 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM
A one game suspension is surprisingly light. By their own admission they intended to rob their fellow students. If I had a child at Colgate, I would not want these two in school.

crusader11
July 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Which game will they be suspended for? The first game of the year or a game against a weak team like Bucknell or Georgetown?

Pard94
July 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Put me in the camp of those who think a 1 game suspension is ridiculously light. I wouldn't have been surprised to see the both of them tossed out on their arses. I would have thought that was harsh...but it wouldn't have surprised me. I was of the mind that they should be given the opportunity to complete their college careers (no sense in effectively ruining thier lives over this) but that their football careers should be over. Representing your school on the football field is a privilege. Those who break into their fellow students room's with the intent to steal should enjoy no such privilege. I hope they realize how lucky they are and take full advantage of it.

Seawolf97
July 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
If this goes on their record as a felony- jobs after college are going to be hard to come by. That is the real penalty. I know where I work felons for any reason are not hired and would be dismissed once convicted if already an employee. One stupid night could really cost them big time.
The one game suspension could give Colgate a black eye but I would not condemm the whole athletic program. It is still a great school-just some bad apples .

the last indian
July 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Remember this result was negotiated as part of a plea bargain. There may well be other restrictions. I am not sure of this, but I seem to recall that they were kept out of spring practice as well, but I could be wrong about that. I also believe that this is a first offense and otherwise their records are fine.

danefan
July 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
If this goes on their record as a felony- jobs after college are going to be hard to come by. That is the real penalty. I know where I work felons for any reason are not hired and would be dismissed once convicted if already an employee. One stupid night could really cost them big time.
The one game suspension could give Colgate a black eye but I would not condemm the whole athletic program. It is still a great school-just some bad apples .

They pled to Criminal Trespass 3rd which is a Class A misdemeanor in New York. They were charged with a felony but pled down to a misdemeanor.

carney2
July 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Unbelievable. Says something about the attitudes on the Colgate campus toward high profile athletics, campus crime and crimes against women. Mama, don't let your daughters grow up to be Red Raiders.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
FWIW they both appeared to man up right away about their stupidity. And they are spending 21 days in jail - and, lest we forget, a year of probation too. But I too was surprised that it was only a 1 game suspension.

It was too big not to blog about:
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/

Seawolf97
July 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
They pled to Criminal Trespass 3rd which is a Class A misdemeanor in New York. They were charged with a felony but pled down to a misdemeanor.

Thanks -I knew you would the correct legal aspect of this !xthumbsupx

Go...gate
July 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM

What is the liklihood they will do 21 days in jail as first offenders? In NJ, I'm thinking they will do 10 days, 15 at most.

TheValleyRaider
July 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM
The things you miss having spotty internet for the last week...

The incident occurred at the end of the Fall Semester, in December, so it was after the season had ended. The 1 game suspension will be the only football-related suspension they recieve.

I'm not surprised they were not kicked out of school. I can't remember anyone getting kicked out while I was at Colgate, and while I also don't remember anyone getting arrested and initially charged with a felony, I have to believe some things happened...

I would just like to know that they were treated as any other Colgate student would have been in a similar situation

21 days in jail can't be a picnic, even in Madison County xtwocentsx

APPALACHIANstate
July 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
And if you or I had done this just on the street?

eaglesrthe1
July 16th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Damn! xnonono2x

The school doesn't get tarnished by the idiots actions. The school gets tarnished by their reactions. Kids can be stupid, and no school is immune.

Quoting myself from 4/1. Shame on Colgate.

griz&beer
July 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I am glad it was not a Griz or a Bobcat this time

Pard94
July 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Unbelievable. Says something about the attitudes on the Colgate campus toward high profile athletics, campus crime and crimes against women. Mama, don't let your daughters grow up to be Red Raiders.

While I certainly won't damn Colgate or the athletic program on the whole becasue of this, I am afraid they should expect to take a few hits in the court of public opinion for a while over this decision. The players should expect to be taunted as well. I suspect there will be a few very creative signs and chants from opposing crowds this year. And quite honestly they have at least that coming to them.

the last indian
July 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Worse things have happen. When I was at Colgate someone or several people burned the administration, but no one was apprehended. it was generally thought that the motive was to wipe out some unfortunate grades, but that was just a theory. Rather more serious though than the current difficulties, I would think.

bison137
July 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Worse things have happen. When I was at Colgate someone or several people burned the administration, but no one was apprehended. it was generally thought that the motive was to wipe out some unfortunate grades, but that was just a theory. Rather more serious though than the current difficulties, I would think.

And the perpetrators hopefully would have received serious jail time and expulsion, if caught.

danefan
July 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
The things you miss having spotty internet for the last week...

The incident occurred at the end of the Fall Semester, in December, so it was after the season had ended. The 1 game suspension will be the only football-related suspension they receive.

I'm not surprised they were not kicked out of school. I can't remember anyone getting kicked out while I was at Colgate, and while I also don't remember anyone getting arrested and initially charged with a felony, I have to believe some things happened...

I would just like to know that they were treated as any other Colgate student would have been in a similar situation

21 days in jail can't be a picnic, even in Madison County xtwocentsx

Very good points which I agree with:

I highly doubt that a non-football player who got arrested for this off the street in Hamilton NY would have received 21 days in jail. They likely wouldn't have even been charged with felonious criminal trespass in the first place.

Coach Ford always told us that we had a target on our backs as soon as we were placed on the football roster. Generally speaking, football players (and other high profile athletes) enjoy greater popularity on campus and are in some aspects afforded opportunities that plain old students are not. This creates resentment that can flow all the way up to administrative levels (read discipline). The same resentment is many times found in the town/gown relationships with surrounding law enforcement agencies.

At Albany if we came into contact with the police we never EVER indicated that we played football for Albany. If questioned (because of UA Football posters, banners, t-shirts, etc.) we always denied it. The cops treated football players much differently. I saw it happen 10's of times and actually testified in court about an assault by a police officer on a football player that I believed (and was supported by others) was motivated by that student's status as a football player.

I don't know whether these kids were treated differently because they were football players. But if they were, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Also, in NY you have to serve at least 85% of your sentenced time. That works out to be about 18 days less any time served when originally arrested. You could be looking at about 15-18 days which is no picnic anywhere you have to serve it. And if I were them I'd rather be in a correction facility than in the County Jail. County jails are a lot of times much meaner places to be than the highly regulated state correction facilities.

TheValleyRaider
July 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Very good points which I agree with:

I highly doubt that a non-football player who got arrested for this off the street in Hamilton NY would have received 21 days in jail. They likely wouldn't have even been charged with felonious criminal trespass in the first place.

I think part of what happened is that the crime, which happened on-campus, was reported to the Hamilton Police, not Campus Safety. If Campus Safety were called in, I guarantee very few people on this board would have even known something had happened

I can certainly see what you're saying regarding Football players, and I'd imagine many athletes in general. This sort of thing cuts both ways, athletes either getting off lightly as a reward for their ability or getting harsher treatment because of their high-profile. The important thing to remember is that they are still students, and really should be treated equally by Colgate (or any school) as just students

Whether a student should be expelled for this is a separate issue, though I would not fault Colgate if that became and/or was a policy xtwocentsx

citdog
July 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
these two should immediately transfer to Georgia Southern where they will feel more at home.