PDA

View Full Version : When does Wash-Griz construction start?

Shockerman
December 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I know people on here get sick of Montana fans talking about Washington-Griz, but... I was just curious when construction is supposed to start on the expansion. Whats the latest? Hoping to catch a game there next year and would like to see the new upper deck.

GOKATS
December 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I know people on here get sick of Montana fans talking about Washington-Griz, but... I was just curious when construction is supposed to start on the expansion. Whats the latest? Hoping to catch a game there next year and would like to see the new upper deck.

I'm sure you'll have all the answers you want in no time...............xnodx

BTW, you should be slapped up along side the head for bringing it up.:)

Ronbo
December 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM
They broke ground this Monday I heard. Shoud be done in plenty of time for the first game. Close to being sold out already I'm hearing.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 11th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Didn't know UM was expanding. W-G should be unrivaled as a stadium in the FCS when it's done.

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Didn't know UM was expanding. W-G should be unrivaled as a stadium in the FCS when it's done.It isn't already? xconfusedx

xlolx ;)

FargoBison
December 11th, 2007, 10:31 PM
You mean pictures like this will be obsolete???

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/10001/normal_griz_stadium_from_above.jpg

Just when I thought every angle of Wash-Griz had been posted on this site, they go and change the stadium. AGS might need another new server or two to handle all the new pics.

Grizo406
December 11th, 2007, 11:43 PM
You mean pictures like this will be obsolete???

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/10001/normal_griz_stadium_from_above.jpg

Just when I thought every angle of Wash-Griz had been posted on this site, they go and change the stadium. AGS might need another new server or two to handle all the new pics.

How could anyone get tired of looking at that?xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2007, 12:19 AM
here's some artist renderings of the expansion.

chattanoogamocs
December 12th, 2007, 12:29 AM

I don't, it is truly (honestly) a site to behold. xthumbsupx

I hope to visit someday...my aunt and uncle just bought a home in Missoula last February (and they rave about UM fans support). Anyone know where Carnoustie Way is?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2007, 12:40 AM

I hope to visit someday...my aunt and uncle just bought a home in Missoula last February (and they rave about UM fans support). Anyone know where Carnoustie Way is?

Yeah they're right out on Phantom Links golf course. Real nice homes on a new golf course with great views of the valley. They did well, it's almost like being out of town in the country but are about 10-15 minutes from the stadium.

Poly Pigskin
December 12th, 2007, 04:02 AM
That's awesome to see one of the best FCS facilities being expanded. I've never been up there, but I would love to experience that atmosphere. I have a cousin attending UM, I might finally have to make a trip up there in '09 when Poly plays there again.

appfan2008
December 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM
how many seats will be added with that expansion...

looks good... are there plans for even more in the future???

MplsBison
December 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
No offense, but WG stadium has to be one of the most discontinuous designs I've ever seen in my life.

Perhaps it's because of so many little expansions here and there.

WUTNDITWAA
December 12th, 2007, 11:08 AM
No offense, but WG stadium has to be one of the most discontinuous designs I've ever seen in my life.

Maybe, but I figure you would give it a pass since it has field turf.

TwinTownBisonFan

I disagree. That gives a college stadium character. unlike the forced character of some recent pro stadium constructions, college stadiums evolve over time, additions and expansions... makes it unique.

Look at some of the legendary stadiums in college football, The Horseshoe, the Big House, DKR, Boone Pickens, Camp Randall... all have done it this way.

As for stadium pics... never enough. I think I'm like many on this board, i could look at stadium pictures all day... part of why i love college football.

MplsBison
It doesn't have fieldturf.

spelunker64
I can't wait to see a game there, hopefully regular season, not post...

BDmountainman
December 12th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I really think that Wa.Griz is unparalleled in FCS. I hope i can make a game there sometime and i was kind of hoping for a Montana-Appstate matchup so i could get up there. The renovations look awesome!

WUTNDITWAA
December 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM
It doesn't have fieldturf.

Humph. Go figure. That's some mighty green natural grass considering the trees are bare.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Is the press box being torn down and replaced with a new one, upper deck seating and Boxes?

Sorry if this has been explained but I'm trying to put the artist rendering with the photo in my mind. I fear I'm running low on fully funtioning brain cells.xsmhx

RationalGriz
December 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
The new seats will be opposite the pressbox.

brownbear
December 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Is the press box being torn down and replaced with a new one, upper deck seating and Boxes?

Sorry if this has been explained but I'm trying to put the artist rendering with the photo in my mind. I fear I'm running low on fully funtioning brain cells.xsmhx

Watch this video, it shows the whole stadium with the additions.

http://www.umt.edu/athletics/wgs_expansion/3d_flyby.html

grizband
December 12th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Humph. Go figure. That's some mighty green natural grass considering the trees are bare.
Its actually a synthetic called SprinTurf, manufactured from rubber. Looks great, and feels pretty close to the real thing.

WUTNDITWAA
December 12th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Its actually a synthetic called SprinTurf, manufactured from rubber. Looks great, and feels pretty close to the real thing.

Oh, okay. I didn't think it looked real, real. Still pretty darn close.

FargoBison
December 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I know, I was just giving you guys some crap. If NDSU ever plays another game in Wash-Griz I will definitely be making the trek out there.

Tailbone
December 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Mpls is picking nits. It's actually SprinTurf.

http://www.sprinturf.com/

The Fabulous Fargodome uses this stuff (over concrete):

www.muhlenberg.edu/sports/astro.html

......which looks very similar to the stuff in my living room.

appfan2008
December 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM

awesome link... i added up 2038 additional seats... which is awesome for you guys... the rich get richer!

appfan2008
December 12th, 2007, 12:49 PM
can anyone that lives in missoula take pictures of the progress... if any so far!

MplsBison
December 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM
The Fabulous Fargodome uses this stuff (over concrete):

www.muhlenberg.edu/sports/astro.html

Actually, it's this:

http://www.astroturf.com/magic_carpet.htm

In either case, the dome needs to upgrade to fieldturf.

griz8791
December 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
can anyone that lives in missoula take pictures of the progress... if any so far!

Be careful what you wish for.

AZGrizFan
December 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE][Idaho * Portland State * Cal State-Fullerton * Eastern Washington * Nevada * Delaware * Southern Utah * Youngstown State * Hofstra * Montana State * North Dakota State * Western Illinois * Cal Poly * Massachusetts * Wofford *
...the only visiting teams to win in Washington-Grizzly Stadium/QUOTE]

Copied from Grizband's sig. What people may not know is that the Grizzlies have played 160 games at Washington-Grizzly Stadium since it opened on October 16th, 1986 midway through the season. The loss to Wofford in this year's playoffs marked only the 20th time the Grizzlies have walked off that field as the losing team. That's right----140-20. Not too shabby. In fact, five of the nine current members of the Big Sky Conference have NEVER won @ Wa/Griz.

When the stadium was built, it originally had only 12,500 permanent seats, with grass end zones that brought capacity to about 15,000. By 2002 the capacity had been expanded to 19,005 and with the 2003 expansion capacity had been increased to 23,117. The 2007/2008 expansion will increase capacity to over 25,000...which explains the reasoning behind scheduling Central Washington University instead of having an open date!

Just an FYI, since we rarely get to talk about stadiums around here....xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

89Hen
December 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM
In fact, five of the nine current members of the Big Sky Conference have NEVER won @ Wa/Griz.
Ummm, nevermind. xcoffeex :p

GrizDen
December 12th, 2007, 02:23 PM

As someone mentioned earlier, the new addition is just being done over the existing suites on the east side.

The Press Box is on the west side and needs to be improved. During the Griz/Cat game this year, you could hear one of the defensive coaches from MSU yell "F*%k" after a botched tackle. The TV announcers are cramped in there and might as well be spooning each other.

I'd personally like to see the University of Montana work out it's own TV deal (ala the hated Fighting Irish in FBS). If the Griz could work out a deal for 2 night games every year on Fox Sports, that would more than make up the costs of putting in permanent lights. Plus the added exposure for the program wouldn't suck. It would also make the option of having ESPN televise a Griz playoff game in the 1st or 2nd round easier as ESPN wouldn't have to lug there 4 monstorous light towers with them.

If the University can't work out a deal on it's own due to restrictions set by the Big Sky Conference...we'll then the Big Sky Commissioner needs to get a contract with Fox Sports again like they did in the 90's.

AZGrizFan
December 12th, 2007, 02:24 PM

I put that stat in there JUST for you, bud! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

80 Griz
December 12th, 2007, 02:27 PM
As someone mentioned earlier, the new addition is just being done over the existing suites on the east side.

The Press Box is on the west side and needs to be improved. During the Griz/Cat game this year, you could hear one of the defensive coaches from MSU yell "F*%k" after a botched tackle. The TV announcers are cramped in there and might as well be spooning each other.

I'd personally like to see the University of Montana work out it's own TV deal (ala the hated Fighting Irish in FBS). If the Griz could work out a deal for 2 night games every year on Fox Sports, that would more than make up the costs of putting in permanent lights. Plus the added exposure for the program wouldn't suck. It would also make the option of having ESPN televise a Griz playoff game in the 1st or 2nd round easier as ESPN wouldn't have to lug there 4 monstorous light towers with them.

If the University can't work out a deal on it's own due to restrictions set by the Big Sky Conference...we'll then the Big Sky Commissioner needs to get a contract with Fox Sports again like they did in the 90's.

The Griz/Cat game was in Bozeman this year. Press box at UM is fine.

AZGrizFan
December 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Must have heard F*%k alot during this year's game, then. xlolx xlolx xlolx xwhistlex

GrizDen
December 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM
The Griz/Cat game was in Bozeman this year. Press box at UM is fine.

Ooops, you're right. But even when I think about the semi-final game last year against UMass, I remeber the ESPN crew looked pretty snug. I know the seats for the press box don't earn any game day revenue from a ticket sales perspective. But having a better situation for the tv, radio and newspaper crew shows that we are covering all aspects of the game day experience.

Griz fans...any thoughts on my prior comments about getting a deal with Fox Sports again?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Ooops, you're right. But even when I think about the semi-final game last year against UMass, I remeber the ESPN crew looked pretty snug. I know the seats for the press box don't earn any game day revenue from a ticket sales perspective. But having a better situation for the tv, radio and newspaper crew shows that we are covering all aspects of the game day experience.

Griz fans...any thoughts on my prior comments about getting a deal with Fox Sports again?

Love the idea, now get a hold of Fullerton and make it happen.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the link.

Very cool video, worth watching.xthumbsupx

appfan2008
December 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE][Idaho * Portland State * Cal State-Fullerton * Eastern Washington * Nevada * Delaware * Southern Utah * Youngstown State * Hofstra * Montana State * North Dakota State * Western Illinois * Cal Poly * Massachusetts * Wofford *
...the only visiting teams to win in Washington-Grizzly Stadium/QUOTE]

Copied from Grizband's sig. What people may not know is that the Grizzlies have played 160 games at Washington-Grizzly Stadium since it opened on October 16th, 1986 midway through the season. The loss to Wofford in this year's playoffs marked only the 20th time the Grizzlies have walked off that field as the losing team. That's right----140-20. Not too shabby. In fact, five of the nine current members of the Big Sky Conference have NEVER won @ Wa/Griz.

When the stadium was built, it originally had only 12,500 permanent seats, with grass end zones that brought capacity to about 15,000. By 2002 the capacity had been expanded to 19,005 and with the 2003 expansion capacity had been increased to 23,117. The 2007/2008 expansion will increase capacity to over 25,000...which explains the reasoning behind scheduling Central Washington University instead of having an open date!

Just an FYI, since we rarely get to talk about stadiums around here....xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

that sure is a pretty darn impressive record... do you know what the plans are after this expansion takes capacity over 25k? how far down the line is 30?

montanafan
December 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM

They live about one mile as the crow flies from my home. Tell them you know someone that lives out by Kelly Island. They will know what you are talking about.

montanafan
December 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM

They call it "sprin turf". about a million dollar add on a few years ago.

montanafan
December 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM

These additionas are on the East side of the stadium. The press boxes are on the West side. So to answer no the press area is not getting touched.

montanafan
December 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM

I live here. As of right now the only thing that has been done is closed off "campus Drive" (the road that goes directly behind the stadium) and started to take down some of the tress that used to be right behind the east entrance. My wife works at the university so I go over there all the time and I am good friends with a few of the folks in the athletic department. They keep me posted on updates.

appfan2008
December 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM
These additionas are on the East side of the stadium. The press boxes are on the West side. So to answer no the press area is not getting touched.

any plans in the work for an upper deck on the west side above the press?

montanafan
December 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM

I probably know more about the stadium finacials than most people. (my wife is a budget anaylst for the university) As of right now the answer is no. We had a hard time getting the funding together for this project. I would guess that if we are still selling out the stadium in a couple three years then we might go back to the board or regence (the final powers to be about money) and try and get some more seats. But for now, nothing.

Shockerman
December 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I thought I remembered reading something about how your AD said the first priority after this addition was done was to finish the East side expansion in full?

appfan2008
December 12th, 2007, 10:28 PM
this is the east side expansion... do you mean even bigger on the east side than it is?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2007, 10:42 PM
this is the east side expansion... do you mean even bigger on the east side than it is?

Yeah I think that's how it is gonna go. They were gonna add like 4500 seats but trimmed it back a little. They will probably finish the east side in another few years before doing anything on the west side.

wapiti
December 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Any pictures of the construction equipment being used?
How about some pictures showing the progress?

Also, is there going to be a new jail built next to the stadium?
That way the players will not have to travel too far for home games.

Ronbo
December 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM

There is two more projects being mentioned. Expanding the new upper deck on the east side to the back of the end zones thus adding another 2000+ seats. The main structure will be in place and adding on to it will be easy. The next is a new press box and another level of luxury boxes on the west side. That would result in a three story structure with the first two levels luxury boxes and the top level the new press box. I think after the next two projects we will sit at around 27,500 capacity with 75 luxury boxes and a sky club.

MplsBison
December 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM
If you had a choice would you rather rent a box or be in the club?

Ronbo
December 13th, 2007, 11:09 AM

No need for a jail. The Coach learned his lesson and no players from South Central L.A. are being recruited any longer. We've eliminated that area from our recruiting.

griz8791
December 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM

And a very merry Christmas to you, too. I called Santa and ordered you a nice lump of coal.

wapiti
December 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM
And a very merry Christmas to you, too. I called Santa and ordered you a nice lump of coal. xbawlingx

Just a lump??? I would rather have a dumptruck load. Then I could put in a coal burning stove to heat my house and send less money to Northwest energy.

montanafan
December 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Yes, it will be there just in time for the MSU game for all your drug dealers. xlolx xlolx xlolx

griz8791
December 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM
xbawlingx

Just a lump??? I would rather have a dumptruck load. Then I could put in a coal burning stove to heat my house and send less money to Northwest energy.

Well, this is no ordinary lump of coal. It's 2500 mega-carats and Santa is giving me a hell of a deal on a rusty pig-iron setting for it with matching barnacle-encrusted anchor chain. I think you'll really like it.

montanafan
December 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM
If you had a choice would you rather rent a box or be in the club?

I think I would rather have a seat on the east side (catch the sun on the cold game days) at the 40-50 yard line towards the north end zone. Boxes are over rated and the club house well I am not sure right now. I like being out in the actual crowd, much more exciting than sitting in a closed window box.

griz8791
December 13th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I think I would rather have a seat on the east side (catch the sun on the cold game days) at the 40-50 yard line towards the north end zone. Boxes are over rated and the club house well I am not sure right now. I like being out in the actual crowd, much more exciting than sitting in a closed window box.

Ditto. The boxes are a necessary evil but if high-rollers want to pay perfectly good money to sit inside and not rub elbows with the lower classes, I think the program should cheerfully take their money. I'd rather be outside freezing my butt off with the plebes.

MplsBison
December 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM
But isn't that the point of the club?

IE, you get to sit outside in the real environment, only with much nicer seats and access to ... well... "the club".

ASUG8
December 13th, 2007, 01:22 PM
When is the track scheduled to be added to make it a real stadium? xsmiley_wix

grizband
December 13th, 2007, 01:36 PM
No need for a jail. The Coach learned his lesson and no players from South Central L.A. are being recruited any longer. We've eliminated that area from our recruiting.
Would be a shame, as it's a hotbed for football; must some some respectable students from that area.

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2007, 01:40 PM
If you had a choice would you rather rent a box or be in the club?Neither. Gimme any spot in the stadium that'll let me stand all game, and yell my head off. xthumbsupx

srgrizizen
December 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
When is the track scheduled to be added to make it a real stadium? xsmiley_wix

Thank God budget and topography made it impossible to design the original stadium with a track. Having watched ASU on television, they have great crowds and a very nice facility, but the track keeps their fans way too far from the action. WaGriz, like Autzen Stadium in Eugene, is a near perfect design for the fans. It is probably also why team after team says WaGriz is the loudest they've ever experienced, because the fans are so close to them. xthumbsupx

slostang
December 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM

I think that is a shame and the Griz will miss out on recruiting some very great and talented kids. I think that it is far more important to look at the character of a kid more than where he comes from. If he does come from an area that raises some concern, do more homework.

Green26
December 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Who says boxes are overrated? Beer, booze, food, bathroom, tv's, social activity, etc.

Grizo406
December 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM

From what I've heard, there won't be a new jail, but a foot long hot dog concession stand is rumored to be in the works.

With that in place, at Washington/Grizzly, you, and the rest of your family can back right into it, and feel at home.

GrizFoo
December 13th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Hey people, if UM doesn't keep upgrading, we can't keep posting pictures and feel like it is OVERKILL. So, we upgrade, post and overkill of SWEET pictures (you have to admit), then upgrade, then post, and post, then upgrade, and post.... you get the picture.

Anyway, considering we will be stuck with the same coaches, lose a ton of great players, and are running into a possibly much better BSC (it always seems it is getting better every year, but ends up in the reverse...wierd) the additional sweet section may be all we have to hold on to next season.

Just kidding, but who knows, could it actually be a down year for the Griz next year, is that even possible? At least no one should be ranking them in the top 5 of the FCS, but that won't take the target off of our backs.

If anyone should have a huge target on their back it is ASU. Damn..dey..good.

To UM coaches, nice new addition to stadium...recruit speed would ya...

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2007, 06:11 PM

It's OK to be jealous of the program we have here in Missoula wackiti job. Most of us do pity you, as you are pitiful.

RazorEdge19
December 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I certainly hope y'all have it done before next season. I was most impressed with Wa-Griz when we were up there, and I would be interested to see her expanded. Hopefully I'll be able to make a flight up there sometime in the future to root on the Griz, I will wear my Wofford stuff though. ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I certainly hope y'all have it done before next season. I was most impressed with Wa-Griz when we were up there, and I would be interested to see her expanded. Hopefully I'll be able to make a flight up there sometime in the future to root on the Griz, I will wear my Wofford stuff though. ;)

You're just trolling for more free beer and food aincha.

GrizFoo
December 13th, 2007, 08:22 PM

I can tell you that the Griz players were very impressed with Wofford, and how genuinely good sports they were. Wofford was all business. That was one long trip, that may have taken a toll on the players the following week a bit. Who knows. What can't be debated is how hightly the Griz players (and the fans I talked with) thought of the Wofford players.

GrizzlyEdd
December 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM

I'm sure that there will be several "in-progress" pics taken. Someone from http://www.egriz.com (http://www.egriz.com/) will probably post some pics on egriz if nothing else. I would imagine that some pics will find themselves here on AGS also. Should be fun watching the progress. I spent almost every day around the stadium on the last expansion so I suppose I will be making daily visits in the near future.xnodx

One could also check out http://www.montanagrizzlies.com (http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/)

RazorEdge19
December 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM
You're just trolling for more free beer and food aincha.

Not at all, I just loved the atmosphere. For as much that is said about Griz fans, y'all won me over and earned a distant fan of the Griz for life.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Not at all, I just loved the atmosphere. For as much that is said about Griz fans, y'all won me over and earned a distant fan of the Griz for life.

All right that's it. Free beer and food for you when you get back here. You're in trouble when you get back to Montana.

wapiti
December 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM
From what I've heard, there won't be a new jail, but a foot long hot dog concession stand is rumored to be in the works.

That would be a very small hot dog concession stand. I think the stand should be about 10 feet long.xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx

ASUG8
December 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Thank God budget and topography made it impossible to design the original stadium with a track. Having watched ASU on television, they have great crowds and a very nice facility, but the track keeps their fans way too far from the action. WaGriz, like Autzen Stadium in Eugene, is a near perfect design for the fans. It is probably also why team after team says WaGriz is the loudest they've ever experienced, because the fans are so close to them. xthumbsupx

We're a bit away from the field, but we manage to get it pretty loud at KBS. Next year 4,000 fans won't have to stand up for the whole game, and we'll hopefully be peeing indoors instead of the port-a-jons. I'd love to visit UM and see the stadium (or just visit Montana for that matter).

putter
December 14th, 2007, 11:29 AM
We're a bit away from the field, but we manage to get it pretty loud at KBS. Next year 4,000 fans won't have to stand up for the whole game, and we'll hopefully be peeing indoors instead of the port-a-jons. I'd love to visit UM and see the stadium (or just visit Montana for that matter).

Man, that was funny! Sounds like KBS will be a great stadium after your renovations!

grizbeer
December 14th, 2007, 03:44 PM

The conference only controls broadcast rights for conference games, Montana could negotiate contracts for non-conference games with any network they like.

Northern Arizona had a few games on Fox Sports net this year (I watched the ISU and EWU games, but there may have been more - I know they also have had several BB games on Fox Sports Net (I watched NAU-Western Kentucky the other night, for example). Montana had a 2 year contract with KPAX for all Montana BSC, but I think this was the last year of it.

I don't think O'Day has any interest is getting Montana's games on National TV - he really doesn't want the non-conference games televised for fear of losing ticket buyers (they are all shown now @ 10:30 tape delayed), and there is a good-'ol-boy relationship with KPAX that pretty much guarantees them all the conference games. BTW, for those who think O'Day wants the games on live, here is is quote when non-conference games stopped being live in 2005:

Jim O'Day, UM's new athletic director, said the decision to end the streak came as early as four months ago.

"It's more important for us to get people in the stadium for that game," he said Friday. "We've got the '95 reunion group in there, and we really would like to have as many people as we can come in for the 10-year anniversary."
Many members of Montana's first I-AA national championship football team from 1995 are expected to attend, including quarterback Dave Dickenson, whose Canadian Football League team, the British Columbia Lions, is off that weekend.

But the bigger factor is economics, and the UM athletic department - having paid off nearly $400,000 of a $1 million deficit, but still in the red - didn't want to take the chance on people staying home to watch the Griz play a Division II opponent on TV.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2005/08/06/sports/sports03.txt

The company line now is KPAX has a preemption limit (funny they didn't have that limit before the budget problem and the resulting schedules that would risk not having a full stadium, and the preemption limit didn't stop them from showing all the playoff games last year or this), but it sure seems strange that Altitude, Fox Sports Net (Northwest or Rocky Mountain), CSTV, Max Media (who shows Bobcat games, and apparently has no preemption issues), KECI, or even the Treasure State Television Network had no interest in showing the games live.

Bottom line, don't look for Griz games anywhere but on KPAX, on tape delayed as much as possible.

Grizo406
December 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM
That would be a very small hot dog concession stand. I think the stand should be about 10 feet long.xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx

I agree!xnodx

VictorG
December 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I admire your strength..............BTW, I tend to agree with you!xnodx

GrizDen
December 14th, 2007, 05:41 PM
The conference only controls broadcast rights for conference games, Montana could negotiate contracts for non-conference games with any network they like.

I don't think O'Day has any interest is getting Montana's games on National TV - he really doesn't want the non-conference games televised for fear of losing ticket buyers (they are all shown now @ 10:30 tape delayed), and there is a good-'ol-boy relationship with KPAX that pretty much guarantees them all the conference games. BTW, for those who think O'Day wants the games on live, here is is quote when non-conference games stopped being live in 2005:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2005/08/06/sports/sports03.txt

Bottom line, don't look for Griz games anywhere but on KPAX, on tape delayed as much as possible.

GrizBeer - thanks for the additional info, much appreciated. I understand O'Day's concern, but I don't think he's giving GrizNation enough credit. All of us who have been to game day at WaGriz know it's special and watching it on TV is not the same.

O'Day needs to realize that additional games on larger TV networks is a good thing for the university. It allows alumni outside of Montana the ability to watch the games who aren't able to make 6-7 trips back to Missoula a year, showcases our product to potential recruits and correct me if I'm wrong, but should also bring in some additional revenue.

O'Day needs to think bigger picture, so it sounds like I need to spend a part of my holiday break in composing a letter to him on this subject.