PDA

View Full Version : Alcorn State hires a new HC

Mr. Tiger
December 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
New Alcorn coach promises win over JSU

Speaking with the fervor of a Southern Baptist preacher, Ernest Jones set the bar high today when he was introduced as the new Alcorn State football coach.

First, the energetic Jones opened a case and produced the ring he won as part of Alcorn’s Southwestern Athletic Conference championship team in 1993, and said: “I won’t quit until I get another one of these.”

And then, speaking to a crowd of some 75 Alcorn boosters at downtown Jackson hotel conference room, Jones promised a “program-defining moment, when we beat Jackson State University on a beautiful November day at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.”

Jones was hired to replace Johnny Thomas, who was fired in November, two days after the Braves lost 31-19 to JSU to complete a 2-8 season. Thomas posted a 48-61 record in 10 seasons as the Alcorn coach.

Jones is a 1995 graduate of Alcorn. He played wide receiver for the Braves in 1993-94, when quarterback Steve McNair helped make Alcorn one of the most exciting Division I-AA teams in the country.

Jones played sparingly. “I wasn’t very good,” he said. “But I’m back.”

Jones has spent the last seven years as an assistant coach at five different programs, most recently the University of Cincinnati, where he is the running backs coach.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071211/SPORTS/71211014&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

bigbluetiger
December 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
No Melvin Spears?

jstate83
December 11th, 2007, 02:49 PM
No Melvin Spears?

You got to be kidding. xlolx

After Spear's tried to get the NCAA to force his ole stomping ground's, ALCORN, to forfit the Alcorn/GSU game after Katrina, he will be lucky if they let him back on campus even for homecomming. xlolx.

Mr. Tiger
December 11th, 2007, 03:29 PM

After Spear's tried to get the NCAA to force his ole stomping ground's, ALCORN, to forfit the Alcorn/GSU game after Katrina, he will be lucky if they let him back on campus even for homecomming. xlolx.

He did burn a few bridges in his day. xnodx I believe that's why he doesn't have a HC job right now.

jstate83
December 11th, 2007, 04:02 PM
He did burn a few bridges in his day. xnodx I believe that's why he doesn't have a HC job right now.

OLE Classless burned them all. xlolx

Big Dawg
December 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
December 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Spears is a little cocky.... make that very cocky. xnonox

SU Jag
December 11th, 2007, 11:17 PM
New Alcorn coach promises win over JSU

Speaking with the fervor of a Southern Baptist preacher, Ernest Jones set the bar high today when he was introduced as the new Alcorn State football coach.

First, the energetic Jones opened a case and produced the ring he won as part of Alcorn’s Southwestern Athletic Conference championship team in 1993, and said: “I won’t quit until I get another one of these.”

And then, speaking to a crowd of some 75 Alcorn boosters at downtown Jackson hotel conference room, Jones promised a “program-defining moment, when we beat Jackson State University on a beautiful November day at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.”

Jones was hired to replace Johnny Thomas, who was fired in November, two days after the Braves lost 31-19 to JSU to complete a 2-8 season. Thomas posted a 48-61 record in 10 seasons as the Alcorn coach.

Jones is a 1995 graduate of Alcorn. He played wide receiver for the Braves in 1993-94, when quarterback Steve McNair helped make Alcorn one of the most exciting Division I-AA teams in the country.

Jones played sparingly. “I wasn’t very good,” he said. “But I’m back.”

Jones has spent the last seven years as an assistant coach at five different programs, most recently the University of Cincinnati, where he is the running backs coach.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071211/SPORTS/71211014&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Who?xconfusedx

jstate83
December 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Who?xconfusedx

He played WR with McNair down at Alcorn.
Graduated after the 1994 season.

That fool came in talking noise at the press conference yesterday.
He got a lot of enegry that for sure.
Had every Brave in the building ready to testify. xlolx

SU Jag
December 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
He played WR with McNair down at Alcorn.
Graduated after the 1994 season.

That fool came in talking noise at the press conference yesterday.
He got a lot of enegry that for sure.
Had every Brave in the building ready to testify. xlolx

Sounds like a bad hire. Whats his history? Has he coached anywhere?

jstate83
December 12th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a bad hire. Whats his history? Has he coached anywhere?

Position and assistant coaching positions.
Last job was RB coach at Cinci.

He did a lot of recruiting down here for them.
Got deep tie's in the "football" community in this state.

Right now for Alcorn, it's a good hire.
Now he has to prove he is Head Coaching material.
I'm sure he's going to knock on the door of some of the assistant coaches in this state and probably a couple from Central Michigan that want to move up the coaching rank's from position coaching.

mvemjsunpx
December 13th, 2007, 02:26 AM
OK, after reading this thread, I see Jones graduated Alcorn in 1995. That makes more sense.

The Sports Network article says he graduated in 2005.

For a second there, I thought a DI school hired a 25 year-old head coach. xeyebrowx