PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Times-Free Press Articles...

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/images/header/logo.png

Blue Hens peck away
Tuesday, December 11, 2007

By David Paschall
Staff Writer

The Delaware Blue Hens wear helmets, jerseys and pants nearly identical to the Michigan Wolverines.

So there's little chance they will intimidate Appalachian State in Friday night's Division I football championship game at Finley Stadium.

Delaware hasn't been about intimidation anyway, dropping games to Richmond and Villanova to conclude an 8-3 regular season and finishing third in the Colonial Athletic Association's South Division. The Blue Hens had to upset top-seeded Northern Iowa and fourth-seeded Southern Illinois on the road to reach Chattanooga for a second time in five seasons, and they won each of those games despite falling behind 10-0 in the first quarter.

"I have a bunch of people who don't panic under adversity," Delaware coach K.C. Keeler said Monday.

Full Article:
Blue Hens peck away (http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/college.aspx?articleid=26615&zoneid=140)

App seniors recall no playoff

By John Frierson
Staff Writer

Trey Elder remembers what it felt like to be stuck at home in December. So do Corey Lynch, Nic Cardwell and the rest of the Appalachian State seniors who have been with the program since 2004.

It might not seem like it now as the Mountaineers (12-2) sit four days and one win away from an unprecedented third consecutive national championship, but there was a time when the NCAA's Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) playoffs went on without them.

"Things weren't always as good around here as they are now," said Elder, who was the starting quarterback in 2005 when Appalachian State defeated Northern Iowa 21-16 for the national title. "The seniors, we all know what it's like to miss the playoffs. We've had our share of disappointments, and I think that's made what we've done the last three seasons that much more special."

Appalachian State faces Delaware (11-3) Friday night in Chattanooga for the 2007 national championship.

In 2004, the Mountaineers -- in their first season using the spread offense -- went 6-5 and missed the playoffs for the second year in a row, going undefeated at home but winless on the road. One of those losses came at what is now like their home away from home: Finley Stadium.

Full Article:
(http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/college.aspx?articleid=26619&zoneid=140)

texcap
December 10th, 2007, 11:28 PM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/images/header/logo.png

Blue Hens peck away

By David Paschall
Staff Writer

The Delaware Blue Hens wear helmets, jerseys and pants nearly identical to the Michigan Wolverines.

So there's little chance they will intimidate Appalachian State in Friday night's Division I football championship game at Finley Stadium.

Delaware hasn't been about intimidation anyway, dropping games to Richmond and Villanova to conclude an 8-3 regular season and finishing third in the Colonial Athletic Association's South Division. The Blue Hens had to upset top-seeded Northern Iowa and fourth-seeded Southern Illinois on the road to reach Chattanooga for a second time in five seasons, and they won each of those games despite falling behind 10-0 in the first quarter.

"I have a bunch of people who don't panic under adversity," Delaware coach K.C. Keeler said Monday.

Full Article:
Blue Hens peck away (http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/college.aspx?articleid=26615&zoneid=140)

By John Frierson
Staff Writer

Trey Elder remembers what it felt like to be stuck at home in December. So do Corey Lynch, Nic Cardwell and the rest of the Appalachian State seniors who have been with the program since 2004.

It might not seem like it now as the Mountaineers (12-2) sit four days and one win away from an unprecedented third consecutive national championship, but there was a time when the NCAA's Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) playoffs went on without them.

"Things weren't always as good around here as they are now," said Elder, who was the starting quarterback in 2005 when Appalachian State defeated Northern Iowa 21-16 for the national title. "The seniors, we all know what it's like to miss the playoffs. We've had our share of disappointments, and I think that's made what we've done the last three seasons that much more special."

Appalachian State faces Delaware (11-3) Friday night in Chattanooga for the 2007 national championship.

In 2004, the Mountaineers -- in their first season using the spread offense -- went 6-5 and missed the playoffs for the second year in a row, going undefeated at home but winless on the road. One of those losses came at what is now like their home away from home: Finley Stadium.

Full Article:
(http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/college.aspx?articleid=26619&zoneid=140)

Whoever had line 1 in the "Delaware looks like Michigan vs. Appalachian State" pool is the winner.xrolleyesx

ButlerGSU
December 10th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Nice articles

chattanoogamocs
December 11th, 2007, 02:39 AM
There was a third one (it is on the full version for subscribers)...I have the full article on mocfans (no to mods, I have permission from the sports editor of the T-FP to reprint articles, so it is not a copyright violation)

Appalachian is a dynasty hard to hate
Darren Epps
Commentary

You’re supposed to root against a dynasty, right? No one on the outside likes a consistent, perfect, smug, unflappable winner who decimates opponents, hoards trophies and holds parades.
That’s why many of us root against the New England Patriots and their smirking coach, Bill Belichick. We love seeing Southern Cal lose. A country smiles when the Yankees suffer another playoff defeat, particularly back during George Steinbrenner’s prime.
But then there’s this one dynasty you can’t hate. A winner you don’t mind winning. A dynasty without a villain, without a stain, without an ego.
Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore, a kindly 68-year-old man, built his program on morals and values thanks to a lesson he learned in the 1950s.

Appalachian is a dynasty hard to hate (http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=4835.topic)

AAadict
December 11th, 2007, 03:34 AM
The Delaware helmet looks like Michigan only because of similar school colors. Delaware copied the style of the Princeton helmet and used the school colors Blue -n- Gold.
Talking about App State like they a dynasty for winning two national title back-to-back now means there are about 750 dynasties in professional sports. Ride the wave Mountaineers but it seems Georgia Southern could lay claim to best all time SoCon team...like the Yankees are all time best Baseball. Toronto won 2 titles but no one calls them a dynasty.

ab4app
December 11th, 2007, 08:15 AM
The Delaware helmet looks like Michigan only because of similar school colors. Delaware copied the style of the Princeton helmet and used the school colors Blue -n- Gold.
Talking about App State like they a dynasty for winning two national title back-to-back now means there are about 750 dynasties in professional sports. Ride the wave Mountaineers but it seems Georgia Southern could lay claim to best all time SoCon team...like the Yankees are all time best Baseball. Toronto won 2 titles but no one calls them a dynasty.

xbowx Thank you so much for your input oh wise one xbowx I guess your right xlolx xlolx and a third one for good measure xlolx

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 08:19 AM
There was a third one (it is on the full version for subscribers)...I have the full article on mocfans (no to mods, I have permission from the sports editor of the T-FP to reprint articles, so it is not a copyright violation)

Appalachian is a dynasty hard to hate
Darren Epps
Commentary

You’re supposed to root against a dynasty, right? No one on the outside likes a consistent, perfect, smug, unflappable winner who decimates opponents, hoards trophies and holds parades.
That’s why many of us root against the New England Patriots and their smirking coach, Bill Belichick. We love seeing Southern Cal lose. A country smiles when the Yankees suffer another playoff defeat, particularly back during George Steinbrenner’s prime.
But then there’s this one dynasty you can’t hate. A winner you don’t mind winning. A dynasty without a villain, without a stain, without an ego.
Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore, a kindly 68-year-old man, built his program on morals and values thanks to a lesson he learned in the 1950s.

Appalachian is a dynasty hard to hate (http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=4835.topic)

Without a doubt it is difficult not to like Moore. He has been a great example of class and sportsmanship through his tenure at ASUxthumbsupx

appfan2008
December 11th, 2007, 08:49 AM

how many would we have to win in a row for you to call us a dynasty???

ASUMountaineer
December 11th, 2007, 09:00 AM

They do look a like, but who cares. Speaking of caring, who cares about a dynasty? I only care about beating up some Blue Hens.

Appdad
December 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
chattanoogamocs, thanks for all you do for UTC, all Southern Conference sports and for FCS football fans!

chattanoogamocs
December 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM
chattanoogamocs, thanks for all you do for UTC, all Southern Conference sports and for FCS football fans!

Thanks for the kind words Appdad! xthumbsupx

HaveFunKc
December 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Interesting you say that GA Southern could lay claim to the best all-time SoCon team... Would that be because they have won 2 national championships while in the SoCon? (Same as ASU so far)... Would that be because they have played in 3 national championships while in the SoCon? (ASU does that this year too)... Could it be that they have won 84 conference games in the SoCon since they started conference play in 1993? (Second to ASU's 88 wins in the same time frame)... Could it be the 136 total wins the Eagles have since they started play in the SoCon in 1993? (ASU has same number in two less games played - same time frame)...

Point here - GA Southern has a great history (6 Rings by Gawd!) that no other can match. Many of us in the SoCon are damn glad to have them around because they raise the competition bar higher. But history before the SoCon doesn't carry over...

This is THE GAME! To be the best, you got to beat the best! xthumbsupx

AAadict
December 11th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Good stats. I retract the statement about Ga Southern. Dynasty? Oh well...got me fired up for my flight on Friday (as if I needed a reason). It is going to be fun watching this game.
Pact: No crazy crap at the tailgates. Let the boys decide on the field (arrests before the 2003 game vs. Colgate)

HaveFunKc
December 11th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Good stats. I retract the statement about Ga Southern. Dynasty? Oh well...got me fired up for my flight on Friday (as if I needed a reason). It is going to be fun watching this game.
Pact: No crazy crap at the tailgates. Let the boys decide on the field (arrests before the 2003 game vs. Colgate)

I'm with you there... I looking forward to both teams giving it their all and leaving it on the field. That's the beauty of FCS!!! xnodx

This is THE GAME! To be the best, you got to beat the best! xthumbsupx