PDA

View Full Version : Sam Wyche inquired about WCU job(link)

catamount man
December 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071210/SPORTS07/71209031/1002/SPORTS

I cannot believe our people have not at least called this man back?!!!!!!!!!!
xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xmadx xmadx xmadx xnonono2x xnonono2x

God forbid we should at least take interest in a coach who has actually WON games in his career. "CALGON, TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ASUPATCH
December 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM
If you don't at least look at him there is more of a problem in Cullawee than just the coaching. We had to get rid of Roachel Laney (old AD) before we won two national championships. Wyche would be a great hire if for nothing more than just a recruiting standpoint. He has been a super bowl Head Coach and former socon player. What is it that WCU is looking for?

catamount man
December 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
If you don't at least look at him there is more of a problem in Cullawee than just the coaching. We had to get rid of Roachel Laney (old AD) before we won two national championships. Wyche would be a great hire if for nothing more than just a recruiting standpoint. He has been a super bowl Head Coach and former socon player. What is it that WCU is looking for?

The eternal question for all of us DYING to see WCU have a long term winning program.xnonono2x

boonedocks
December 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
If I was the A.D. I would at least interview him and see what he had to say. Has been a winner, is familiar with the area and the teams. But I'm not an A.D. so what do I know?? Best of luck in the search.

ASUPATCH
December 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM
If I was the A.D. I would at least interview him and see what he had to say. Has been a winner, is familiar with the area and the teams. But I'm not an A.D. so what do I know?? Best of luck in the search.

Neither was Laney....thank god Charlie Cob came along.

appfan2008
December 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Give the man a chance... he is probably the best bet for your program...

Mr. Tiger
December 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM
He is 62 with health problems and hasn't coached in college since the
1980s. xeyebrowx I think WCU can do a little better than that, but why not interview him and see.

Appdad
December 10th, 2007, 09:06 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071210/SPORTS07/71209031/1002/SPORTS

God forbid we should at least take interest in a coach who has actually WON games in his career. "CALGON, TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Well, he knows how to win. He knows how to promote and he knows how to make an impression on 17-22 year old young men. Not to mention his hire would bring instant publicity to WCU. Of course GT wouldn't hire Bill Curry as AD and hired a bean counter instead so nothing shocks me.

boonedocks
December 10th, 2007, 09:36 PM
He is 62 with health problems and hasn't coached in college since the
1980s. xeyebrowx I think WCU can do a little better than that, but why not interview him and see.

That's what I mean, I feel like you could at least interview him and if you decide he's not your man then so be it. If he impresses, all the better.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2007, 10:32 PM
There is no reason why WCU shouldn't consider Sam Wyche. None. If he's applying for this job, it's purely for the "love of the game and the program", kinda like Glanville. Heaven knows WCU could use the excitement Wyche would bring, too.

WCU LawCat
December 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Honestly, I don't know if the man would be right for the program or not but I would agree with most everyone out there that he should be interviewed at the least.

I do believe there are several candidates right now but this guy deserves an interview if he is interested.

bench
December 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Does the fact that Wyche coached in a Super Bowl negate the fact that he's in his sixties and has health problems? If he can only give you two or three years, can the rebuilding process be completed in that short time frame?

Don't get me wrong. He's had successes in his career, and I'd very much like it if he was lured away from his color commentary job on SportSouth broadcasts, but it seems like he would be a stopgap hire. Western needs a capable coach, but whoever gets the job will need time above all else.

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Not only was Sam's vocal cord nerve severed but apparently so was his optical nerve and he can no longer distinguish royal purple from what ever it is Western wears:D

I don't know if he is a good hire or not. But I certainly would talk to him. It seems to me that walking into a recruit's home having coached in a Super Bowl would add some respect to your credentials. I don't buy the idea that he is a stopgap. At this level most people would love to have a coach so good that you have to worry about losing him after 3 or 4 years anyway. xnodx

PS, he is not as flashy, but my dimming recollection says that he is a much better coach than Glanville ever hoped to be:o

OldRef
December 11th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Why do you think Laney leaving was the catalyst for the championship run? In all honestly the fact he was on the tournament commitee might have been an advantage. Explain the connection other than the timing.

ASUPATCH
December 11th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Why do you think Laney leaving was the catalyst for the championship run? In all honestly the fact he was on the tournament commitee might have been an advantage. Explain the connection other than the timing.

He did little to noting to promoate the team. Cobb spent a huge portion of the budget to advertise and get students and the community alike behind the team which ultimatly put us over the top.

OldRef
December 11th, 2007, 07:58 AM
He did little to noting to promoate the team. Cobb spent a huge portion of the budget to advertise and get students and the community alike behind the team which ultimatly put us over the top.
Fair enough, I can see the AD's job as more admin, hiring and keeping good coaches, doing the facility plan...which I'm pretty sure Laney, Mark D Ms Richardson and others in the atheltic dept crafted.

The Chancellor needs his own guy in all his slots. Which he systematicly has done. Its no different than any other CEO. I'm sure Laney and others in the admin team that left form the whole university understood what was inevitable.

Cobb is a great AD. But Cobb has come along at a good time too. I'm glad to see what we never had in the Brakefield, Working, Brown era..and I remember Mac Brown being our savior for a single season!!

Sorry for my ramble..I guess I'm feeling my age and oats.

Sorry for getting way way way off topic. That isnt fair to the original posters and the issue.

asu7
December 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I would just like to say good luck to WCU to finding a coach they want ...

I hope you get who ya want and you are happy with the choice!

Appdad
December 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Does the fact that Wyche coached in a Super Bowl negate the fact that he's in his sixties and has health problems? If he can only give you two or three years, can the rebuilding process be completed in that short time frame?

Don't get me wrong. He's had successes in his career, and I'd very much like it if he was lured away from his color commentary job on SportSouth broadcasts, but it seems like he would be a stopgap hire. Western needs a capable coach, but whoever gets the job will need time above all else.

How do they know what he wants to do unless they talk to him?

AZGrizFan
December 11th, 2007, 11:02 AM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Seriously? The guy is the punchline to a joke....you sure that's what you want associated with your program? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

anvilhead
December 11th, 2007, 01:09 PM
They should at very least hire him to perform a coaching search, to help them hire someone!

soweagle
December 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I'm thinking that Cobb is a great AD for ASU but tend to believe that Jerry Moore changing the offense and recruiting Richie Williams had more to do with the titles than Cobb.

Eyes of Old Main
December 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I've never been a huge Wyche fan, but it would be a good hire from the standpoint that he'd raise the profile of the program, WCU would go into it knowing it was a short-term thing, and his pro experience would match up with Western's traditional favoring of the Pro Set offense. All that being said, I think they be better finding a younger, successful coach from D-II (like GSU did with Hatcher).

catamount man
December 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Turns out it was all a lie fabricated by the Asheville newspaper.xmadx xmadx

Sam Wyche sounds a little peeved to me.

http://www.samwyche.com/todaywithsam.php

Eyes of Old Main
December 12th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Sam Wyche sounds a little peeved to me.

I'd say so. Saying WCU's money wasn't good was strong. I guess he is still fired up from some of those helacious games you guys had with Furman back in the early 80's.

I went to one of those games in Cullowhee probably around 86 or 87 that was a barnburner that went down to the final play with WCU catching what would have been a winning TD pass just out of the back of the endzone.

catamount man
December 12th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I'd say so. Saying WCU's money wasn't good was strong. I guess he is still fired up from some of those helacious games you guys had with Furman back in the early 80's.

I went to one of those games in Cullowhee probably around 86 or 87 that was a barnburner that went down to the final play with WCU catching what would have been a winning TD pass just out of the back of the endzone.

Had to be 1985. We beat them in Greenville in '86 and in Cullowhee in '87.xthumbsupx

OL FU
December 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM

I doubt it Wyche last played a Furman game was 1965xrolleyesx xrotatehx

Western was not on on the schedule during Sam's playing days. Wyche was coaching the Bengals from 84-91 so I doubt he saw too many of the 80's games against Western.

OL FU
December 13th, 2007, 05:58 AM
It was an interesting comment, "I can be bought, but not by WCU". xeyebrowx

He was complimentary of WCU in part of the letter so I wonder if he meant, I don't need the money therefore my services would not be available for a direct competitor of my alma mater. If so, he should have said it that way instead of being so xeyebrowx direct.xrotatehx

Who knows maybe he let his anger with the newspaper get the better of him when judging his words.

Maybe he has some deep hatred of WCU but I can't for the life of me imagine whyxeekx

Maybe he writes before he thinks which if that is the case he should join this boardxthumbsupx

catamount man
December 13th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I doubt it Wyche last played a Furman game was 1965xrolleyesx xrotatehx

Western not on on the schedule during Sam's playing days. Wyche was coaching the Bengals from 84-91 so I doubt he saw too many of the 80's games against Western.

I think he was referring to the great games we used to have in the 80s.:D

OOP! Reread your post. Sorry. See ya tomorrow night!

OL FU
December 13th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I think he was referring to the great games we used to have in the 80s.:D

OOP! Reread your post. Sorry. See ya tomorrow night!

Yes they were nail biters and hair puller outersxnodx

I will be there but it will be after 9xthumbsupx