PDA

View Full Version : U Richmond's HC Clawson to Duke?

RAMS83
December 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Only speculation but wouldnt be suprised to see Dave Clawson land at Duke or a 1A job next season. I have utmost respect for the man and his coaching abilities. He is only 40, charismatic and a terrific coach. Did a great job at Fordham and now UR. If a 1A is looking for a top notch guy--he's your man.

spdram
December 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Don't think it will happen, we believe that Clawson is awsome, but it's a tough sell to go from FCS HC to a FBC HC.

Appdad
December 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Only speculation but wouldnt be suprised to see Dave Clawson land at Duke or a 1A job next season. I have utmost respect for the man and his coaching abilities. He is only 40, charismatic and a terrific coach. Did a great job at Fordham and now UR. If a 1A is looking for a top notch guy--he's your man.

I think he is too smart to go to Duke. Duke is a grave yard unless you are the ole ball coach.

Win some more at UR and then he can take his pick.

Appdad
December 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Don't think it will happen, we believe that Clawson is awsome, but it's a tough sell to go from FCS HC to a FBC HC.

It is?

UDChE89
December 9th, 2007, 08:13 PM

You think so? Don't know about that.. Paul Johnson's done pretty well and I don't think you can argue too much about Jim Tressel either.

DFW HOYA
December 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Two names right now in the mix are former Furman coach Bobby Johnson and Grambling coach Rod Broadway. Haven't heard Clawson as a major candidate at this point.

ur2k
December 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM
You think so? Don't know about that.. Paul Johnson's done pretty well and I don't think you can argue too much about Jim Tressel either.

But both of those guys spent many years at this level and won multiple championships. Hopefully we can hold on to Clawson for a few more years and get the pieces in place for sustained success. I'm sure he's on the short list for many AD's around the country. That said, I don't think Duke is a very attractive option at this point in time.

HiHiYikas
December 9th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a downgrade to me. Don't think UR can hold onto this guy forever, but it should take more than Duke to lure him away.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Regarding Clawson, I am more concerned that Jim Grobe will leave Wake for a bigger job ... and Clawson could become a candidate for Wake.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 9th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Regarding Clawson, I am more concerned that Jim Grobe will leave Wake for a bigger job ... and Clawson could become a candidate for Wake.

There are quite a few coaching jobs open......seems like I've heard the Wake coach being mentioned as a possible candidate somewhere.

dbackjon
December 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Two names right now in the mix are former Furman coach Bobby Johnson and Grambling coach Rod Broadway. Haven't heard Clawson as a major candidate at this point.

Heard that about Johnson. No clue as to why he would leave Vandy, were he is re-building a bad program, to start from scratch at Duke.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 9th, 2007, 09:21 PM
There are quite a few coaching jobs open......seems like I've heard the Wake coach being mentioned as a possible candidate somewhere.

Grobe was mentioned for the Nebraska job before Bo Pelini was hired. He has also been mentioned for the Michigan job.

lizrdgizrd
December 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Grobe was mentioned for the Nebraska job before Bo Pelini was hired. He has also been mentioned for the Michigan job.
Grobe was offered a substantial amount to go to Arkansas. He just signed a 10 year contract for Wake and I think it's likely he'll stay there.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Has anyone noticed that there have been many many many names bandied about for the Duke job, FCS and FBS alike?

I just have a weird hunch that Dick Biddle of Colgate is going to be hired there. But it's so strange: there have been no less than a dozen names seriously shopped for this position.

I also wonder if Harbaugh - even though he pissed off most of the Wolverine faithful - might be returning to Michigan.

lizrdgizrd
December 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Has anyone noticed that there have been many many many names bandied about for the Duke job, FCS and FBS alike?

I just have a weird hunch that Dick Biddle of Colgate is going to be hired there. But it's so strange: there have been no less than a dozen names seriously shopped for this position.

I also wonder if Harbaugh - even though he pissed off most of the Wolverine faithful - might be returning to Michigan.
I found out last night that Johnson was offered $1M more by Duke but he took less money to coach at GT. xeyebrowx

I don't think any smart, established coach will take the Duke job. They are looking for someone with name recognition but I have a feeling they'll have to take a young coach with a track record of winning - someone like Hatcher at GSU or Clawson at Richmond. Someone who just wants a stepping stone and can put up with the crap Duke will bring them. xnodx

Fordham
December 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I think Clawson is a perfect fit here. He's done a remarkable job turning around two programs that both have strong academic reputations. Further, I believe his UR team has beaten Duke which certainly helps their ability to sell him as the selection. I think that from a Duke standpoint, he's a great fit.

That leaves the question of whether or not Duke is a great fit for Clawson. Barring any offers from better football schools than Duke, I think it is a fit for him. There is very little risk imo for him to take this job whle there certainly is risk for him to stay at Richmond (if they underperform next year, he can quickly go from a 'hot' coach to a not so hot one). Further, he has a young family and a big $$ raise would mean a lot, I'm sure.

Regarding performance, if his teams perform horribly he may be out of a job after a few years but the 'storyline' is certainly moreso about Duke once again not providing f-ball coaches what they need to thrive. If he improves them even marginally he'll be exceeding expectations and that will keep him around Duke for as long as he wants to be there and also possibly provide at least some other opportunity at a bigger school as well. If he makes them actually competitive in the ACC, he'll have his pick of high level BCS jobs.

With every one of those situations, the opportunity to go back to FCS will always be there given his track record at Fordham and Richmond.

Again, I think it's a no-brainer and will be more surprised if he DOESN'T get it, unless he gets an offer from a better football school in the meantime.

Eight Legger
December 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM
The problem with a coach like Clawson taking this job is that he has to be willing to accept the fact that it could set back his career by 5-10 years. If he can deal with that, then fine. If not, he should stay away. He's obviously a great coach and we don't want to lose him to Duke or anywhere else. But for his own sake, if he really wants an FBS job, he needs to wait for something better than Duke.

A few 1-11 seasons there and no one will remember how great he was at Fordham and UR -- he'll get canned or quit and will have to start back at a worse FCS job than he already has. If he does take this job, he should not do it for anything less than a 6-year contract for at least two or three times per year what he is making with us.

That said, DON'T GO DAVE! IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!! Next year is our year!

Aho_Old_Guy
December 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I think Clawson is a perfect fit here. He's done a remarkable job turning around two programs that both have strong academic reputations. Further, I believe his UR team has beaten Duke which certainly helps their ability to sell him as the selection. I think that from a Duke standpoint, he's a great fit.

That leaves the question of whether or not Duke is a great fit for Clawson. Barring any offers from better football schools than Duke, I think it is a fit for him. There is very little risk imo for him to take this job whle there certainly is risk for him to stay at Richmond (if they underperform next year, he can quickly go from a 'hot' coach to a not so hot one). Further, he has a young family and a big $$ raise would mean a lot, I'm sure.

Regarding performance, if his teams perform horribly he may be out of a job after a few years but the 'storyline' is certainly moreso about Duke once again not providing f-ball coaches what they need to thrive. If he improves them even marginally he'll be exceeding expectations and that will keep him around Duke for as long as he wants to be there and also possibly provide at least some other opportunity at a bigger school as well. If he makes them actually competitive in the ACC, he'll have his pick of high level BCS jobs.

With every one of those situations, the opportunity to go back to FCS will always be there given his track record at Fordham and Richmond.

Again, I think it's a no-brainer and will be more surprised if he DOESN'T get it, unless he gets an offer from a better football school in the meantime.

Dook facilities = third world football = no recruiting = coaching death

Fordham
December 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I completely disagree that he'd have to start back at a worse FCS school if things went poorly at Duke. Given his success at this level, he'd have his pick of open spots at any FCS team that had a vacancy imo.

Further, what higher level BCS schools would pluck a guy from FCS? As much as I believe it's warranted, I just don't see him leapfrogging over too many other BCS schools that are at a higher level than Duke.

Again, I could be wrong but this one just makes too much sense to me.

DTSpider
December 10th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I still think Clawson stays at UR this year. His wife is from around here and that's a big hurdle to overcome. Personally, I think if he stays at UR another 4 or 5 years he'll be able to get a much better job. For example, Boston College or UVA.

Bettina90
December 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I don't think Clawson is going anywhere but who knows. One thing to keep in mind, being private, UR can pay him whatever they want to without anyone recoiling, really. I have no idea what he makes, but I would guess it's a good salary for FCS, Richmond is not exactly short on cash. And, given the success of this year, would not be surprised if he got a lucractive extension. Although, the entry on the AD's blog is somewhat cryptic and non-committal on the subject.

spdram
December 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
There are very few FCS schools that can offer salaries and perks that can compete with a high level FBS school, that includes Duke with it's ACC affiliation. But how many FCS Coaches have made the jump to a high level FBS program? Compare that to how many years there has been such a division, and yes I am counting 1-A and 1-AA. The Duke Ad has to "sell" his choice, at the FCS level we don't see the big difference, but at the FBS level they see us as no where equal.

appstate38
December 10th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Clawson would be a fool to leave Richmond... Duke couldn't beat half the FCS, and that's a fact!

Eight Legger
December 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM
The fact that we went to Duke last year and shut them out would make this move even more painful. I don't think it will happen, though.

D1scout
December 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Jim Tressel from D1-AA Youngstown State to D1-A Ohio State and a National Championship! It happens!!

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Jim Tressel from D1-AA Youngstown State to D1-A Ohio State and a National Championship! It happens!!

And way back when, Bobby Bowden got his start at Samford.

spdram
December 11th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Never said there were no coaches that made the jump, but not many. It's a tough sell for an AD to put his/her job on the line by bringing someone up. I have little doubt Clawson sould be successful wherever he coaches, just saying most AD's don't understand that and would rather take the safe route.

redspider
December 13th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I dont think Clawson would job at Duke it would right now clearly be a downgrade. The are a team that had there best chance to win last year against us and we still be them by about two touchdowns.